The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2003, 10:35 PM   #601
padraig_ec

Sting

The Yahoo Group is at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/walktorivendell/

Yo have to register, but then you get access to our nightly chats, messages, photos, lots of neat stuff.

You can count anything you feel like counting. Its totally up to you. In my opinion, I would certainly count the basketball games. Its a great workout. I know we used to run about 7 miles in a full soccer game. The point is just to get out and have fun doing something to get in shape and enjoy ourselves.

--Padraig
Old 06-12-2003, 10:38 PM   #602
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Arafangwen has only walked three more miles, but she's planning on getting a lot more miles in when she's in Alaska tommorow. See you all when I get back!
Arafangwen: Whereabouts in Alaska are you going? I went with a friend summer-before-last and had such a great time. Saw humpbacks & orcas (not orcs) on a boat trip, and grizzlies in Denali. Hope you have a wonderful trip!!

Well, Strider finally showed up. It seems he's been hanging out in Bree with some hobbits! I'm glad he caught up with me. The way the path seems to appear and disappear, I'd soon be lost without him.

--------------------

The ground now became damp, and in places boggy and here and there they came upon pools, and wide stretches of reeds and rushes filled with the warbling of little hidden birds. They had to pick their way carefully to keep both dry-footed and on their proper course. At first they made fair progress, but as they went on, their passage became slower and more dangerous. The marshes were bewildering and treacherous, and there was no permanent trail even for Rangers to find through their shifting quagmires.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:14 PM   #603
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I signed up but the first time I accidently put that I was not part of a particular group so the shield are white, if anyone can fix it that would be good (I am just having problems tonight [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )
Old 06-12-2003, 11:20 PM   #604
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Well, since I can include mileage from playing sports, my mileage total is going to be high today. In addition to my morning jog, I played racquetball with one of my buds for about two and a half hours, went and played four or five games of basketball, and finished up with a moderately paced jog on the indoor track.

My conservative mileage estimate for the entire day is 30 miles. I have exactly 400 left.

Saturday will be a huge mileage day. I'm off work and plan on doing nothing but sports all day long with my friends.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:47 AM   #605
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

I was in a foul mood this morning, and got up at 5:30 am and went to walk it off. So I trudged five miles in a thoroughly unpleasant frame of mind. I'm going to do my five senses, simply because it's funny how nasty I was, and I hope you'll all get a good laugh about it. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Sight: There are ATHLETES on the track (how dare they?!) I'll have to walk around the library loop instead (5/16 of a mile).

Smell: Those flowers, ugh, so much pollen, I bet I'm allergic to that.

Sound: Every bird in Northern Indiana is chirping, what the heck, why do they chirp at 5am, don't they know all decent people are sleeping?!

Touch: There is a large blister growing up on the ball of my foot. Argh argh argh.

Taste: Mello Yello. Give me caffeine that I may survive work today.

LOL [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I have to say, I felt much better when I got home. 127 miles, completed [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 09:45 AM   #606
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Let me gently remind Rivendell walkers that the Barrow Wight has been closing threads left and right. Please keep it Middle-Earth related.

Rather than reporting miles, report your location along Frodo's track.

The Five-senses idea is a good one, but bring it up a notch and choose hobbit-senses or elf-senses...

A very good example is Alatariel; there are others as well-- Hilde, Peony...

In the meantime, I am happy to see you all making progress and enjoying yourselves.

'********

This morning I was south of the Great Road, but I felt like I was back in the Marish... The deer may know their way around, but their destinations and their traveling preferences don't match mine. Thorns, bushes, branches, thickets, and swampy stream-crossings! Strider can usually find a way through the deer paths, though.

We found a deer track that followed an old stone wall-- there seem to be a lot of ruins in these hills, Strider sang some old songs about the men of Arnor and the old North Kingdom. We followed the stone wall quite a ways, to an narrow old gateway, and a bit further beyond that, Strider led us out onto a broad path. It would have been extremely pleasant but for the rain. I was one wet hobbit by the end of the march.

[ June 13, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 06-13-2003, 01:20 PM   #607
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

The sun hung low in the western sky as the aging hobbit closed the front door of Bag End. The late-afternoon heat was oppressive, not to mention the humidity, which was so thick as to unshape both the crease in his slacks and the curls from his lightly-graying head.

Thenamir, late as usual to any gathering or event, hoisted his pack onto his shoulder and left Bag End alone late yesterday afternoon. Being a hobbit of unusual heft (Fatty Bolger in comparison looked positively svelte) he was barely one mile down the road before he began huffing and puffing. He finally slumped down upon an old stump beside the road, on a small rise still well within sight of the brass doorknob in the middle of the circular door of bright green. "Well now," he wheezed to himself as he mopped the sweat from his brow with a bit of old kerchief, "only 457 miles to go. At this rate, I'll be longer getting to Rivendell than Frodo was for his entire adventure!"

He knew it would get easier as he got into better shape, and the distances would become less troublesome, but until then he knew he was in for some stop-and-go hiking. "Up again," he said with a groan. "Old Gaffer used to say 'Don't be afraid of slow progress, only of standing still.' I'd better try to make another mile or two before nightfall..."
Old 06-13-2003, 02:01 PM   #608
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

"I pity snails, and all who carry their homes upon their backs..."
Old 06-13-2003, 08:29 PM   #609
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Robin Brandybuck heard footsteps along the path and, hoping against hope, ran forward, shouting loudly for help. Unfortunately, her worst fears were confirmed when she caught the sight of bright yellow boots, but nevertheless she begged him to save her friends, who were still struggling desperately to free themselves, while Old Man Willow creaked and groaned.

Tom proceeded to sing Robin's friends loose, and then laughed heartily and brought them four miles further to his home. Stopping in front of his house, he lifted his head and began: Ring a ding a dillo! Robin, however, was not going to put up with this, so she put her hands over her ears and began to sing: "La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la," over and over again. Tom looked rather startled, but then he laughed again and began to sing along with her. That was too much for the poor lass, and she ran into the house where she would find shelter with Goldberry.

++++++++++++++++++++++

I've registered at the WtR site and now observe proudly the four shields along by my name. All Barrow-Downs Walkers, pay heed: we need more soldiers of the black shield! I only count ten.

And enter the contest so we can start building up our points.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:13 AM   #610
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

The most memorable impression from this morning’s walk: a valiant wild violet, a tiny floweret with one perfect bloom, growing in a sidewalk crack. It made me wonder if there were hobbit girls named Violet? The only girl of that name that occurs to me is the one in Peanuts!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 05:39 AM   #611
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dūm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Would you look at that, six shields! I've been making rapid progress lately, because dad has moved, and in order to get to the nearest shop I have to ride my bike for almost five miles, and with ten miles almost every day, I've finally reached Bree!
Old 06-14-2003, 10:04 AM   #612
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Quote:
a valiant wild violet, a tiny floweret with one perfect bloom, growing in a sidewalk crack
Aren't flowers growing from cracks the lovliest thing to encounter?

Quote:
It made me wonder if there were hobbit girls named Violet?
I've a hobbit-mannered like friend who was at the MTV Movie awards who was able to take pictures of Elijah...hope that counts [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] thanks for making me remember my friend, Esty (I miss her a lot)
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 10:11 AM   #613
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Never thought I was going to walk 3 and a half miles more than expected today.

sight: I saw quite a few of death today: a dead maya and a two dead moths, both lying on concrete aproximately less than a quarter of a mile apart. But on a bus trip after that, I saw two sets of sneakers neatly placed ontop of a concrete cover of a sewage hole-whatever. I imagined them to beling to Hobbits looking for holes to turn into proper homes...but then, hobbits don't need sneakers!
This is my favorite of the day: I have this HUGE phobia of clouds (related to open spaces), but reaching the top of the hill, I saw this huge cloud almost taking the shape of a peace dove with its head touching the sun.

sound thunder in the sunlight. There's a typhoon somewhere south of the country.

touch there was a light shower when I got off the bus and started walking.

smell not much pollution today! and the winds brought enough fresh air to destress!

taste soy milk. I bought a bottle of soya milk on my first leg of the walk. I needed protein (it was carbo-rich day for me, starting off with good oatmeal, followed by kentucky fried chicken *oops* and finally ending with pasta)

[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]
Old 06-14-2003, 08:36 PM   #614
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Strider and I hiked along a low ridge overlooking a large stream. There were oaks, and beech groves. I heard a twig snap, and pointed; sure enough, Strider spotted two deer. They splashed thru the stream and were on their way.

Besides that, there is little sound but the wind in the leaves.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:52 PM   #615
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wandered about in Chetwood today; but I think I'm almost out. Merry and Pippin have been lagging behind, but I told them that we're almost out of "this wretched wood that we shan't dare to enter again, at least not without a guide!"
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 03:01 PM   #616
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

June in the Green Hill Country can be quite hot and muggy at times, and today's run started out with the sun beaming down its radiant heat. The country road was at first wide with a great field of high hay to the south, but soon the path narrowed and passed into into a cool world of trees. A gentle breeze passed down the shaded way, causing a constant rustle of soothing green.

As I plunged deeper into the woods the temperature continued to drop until I actually began to shiver. It was as if I was approaching something ahead that did not belong in the tranquil landscape of The Shire. Something dark and evil, but something I could not avoid. Since this was the only path through the Hills I was familiar with, I have no choice but to continue along it tomorrow.

I have walked 25.24 miles, entered Green Hill Country, and am only 1.76 miles from Black Rider Stopping Place.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:55 PM   #617
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

I just updated my mileage on the Eowyn Challenge site and was proud to see not only my 8 shields, but also so many for our B-D group. Wooohooo!! I'm finally over the 200 mile mark. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Had to sleep (make that try to sleep) last night listening to those dratted Neekerbreekers. It was almost as bad as that weekend at Tom's house. But we're finally out of earshot of them. It's a good thing I packed so much Elvish insect repellent, as it appears the midges prefer elf when they can't get hobbit. Without Strider, I would have been hopelessly lost as there are many paths here that wander in all directions. He says we should be out of the Marshes in 2-3 days, thanks be to Ilśvatar.

--------------------

The flies began to torment them, and the air was full of clouds of tiny midges that crept up their sleeves and breeches and into their hair.

"I am being eaten alive!" cried Pippin. "Midgewater! There are more midges than water!"

"What do they live on when they can't get hobbit?" asked Sam, scratching his neck.

They spent a miserable day in this lonely and unpleasant country. Their camping-place was damp, cold, and uncomfortable; and the biting insects would not let them sleep. There were also abominable creatures haunting the reeds and tussocks that from the sound of them were evil relatives of the cricket. There were thousands of them, and they squeaked all round, 'neek-breek, breek-neek', unceasingly all the night, until the hobbits were nearly frantic.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:21 AM   #618
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Well, I've finally reached the mile-marker of 201 miles! I went for a walk in the county forest near my house Saturday, hoping to get in a couple of miles. Well, I was walking on the trail, and SOMEHOW, I got lost for four hours. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Luckily, I had my grand'da's pedometer with me!
So, I'm off to sign up at the Eowyn's Challenge site.

EDIT: I've signed up there as Feaelenawen, and I've only 8 shields. Well, I'm going for a walk!

I have walked 201 miles.
I have reached Neekerbreeker Pond (201).
It is 10 miles to the next landmark.
I still have 257 miles to Rivendell.
They spent a miserable day in this lonely and unpleasant country. Their camping-place was damp, cold, and uncomfortable; and the biting insects would not let them sleep. There were also abominable creatures haunting the reeds and tussocks that from the sound of them were evil relatives of the cricket. There were thousands of them, and they squeaked all round, neek-breek, breek-neek, unceasingly all the night, until the hobbits were nearly frantic.

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: ArwenBaggins ]
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 12:24 PM   #619
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

A new entry in my exciting travel log!!

June 11- Yes, I did finally move...*mumbles* 300 feet...

June 12- I felt especially springy and full of energy, so I hopped up and started a quick walk. I jogged a bit too, before running into someone. It was just my luck that this someone was an extremely annoying 12 year old boy and who made strange grunting and squeaking noises. I jogged on, but he followed, making disgusting noises to the rythym of my steps. (I leave you to figure out what those noises were...) A sharp "Shutup" only made him redouble his efforts, so I gave him a push. Tumbling over, cursing, he remained on the ground. I had made a good choice, he didn't want to get up. I jogged on in peaceful silence. But, a short time later and after 2 miles, I grew thirsty, so I decided to stop for a break. This break continued longer than I had planned (as always) and night came, so I made camp.

June 13- Yes, I moved again *mumbles* 300 feet...

June 15- Stop your laughing! I moved! *mumbles* 300 feet...

June 16 - Melkor take you, I did walk! I started on a nice path somewhere with some trees and plants. Then I came upon a small pond. Around it were some geese and ducks. At this sight, I made the mistake of taking out a chunk of bread (of course I'd have food you domnoddy!) and ripped off little pieces to throw at these birds. Well, I soon decided that they had had enough of my bread, so I moved on down the path. That's when they started toward me. I thought there had been some geese! More like 50! And ducks too! *mumbles again* Okay, maybe not 50, but close...how about 40? But anyway, I of course, took off at a run. That's when they morphed into fire breathing horned tortoises. Yes, and chased me another few feet. Then they stopped, and I breathed easily, after only a few minutes of panting. Did I say fire breathing horned tortoises? Well...what I meant to say was...they got all puffy and opened there beaks!! It was horrifying! Oh, I almost forgot. I slew three ants today! *flexes muscles*

Okay, I'll stop.

I, slowness itself, have traveled a total of... *drum roll* 4.55 miles! *cymbal crash* YAY!!!

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 02:04 PM   #620
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Just for the fun of it, I did a bit of statistical figuring on the Éowyn site today, counting BD names and shields. As of now, there are 17 of us registered there with a total of 115 shields! Congratulations on your first shield, B-W, and go us! (Out of curiosity, I also counted the names and shields of another comparable Tolkien forum; I will leave that result up to your own imagination...)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 05:47 PM   #621
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

Peony enjoyed one of the first sunny days in quite some time. Frodo and Strider talked about the chance of finding Gandalf waiting at Weathertop, which they could see in the distance. Strider was doubtful he would be there. Peony strained to see in the distance, and thought she saw a lone figure walking far ahead of them, about five miles away, and called to Strider to look.

The Ranger shook his head. "I can see that's not Gandalf, just from the clothing he's wearing."

Peony looked again, and cried out with delight: "I think it might be Estelyn Telcontar!"
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 07:57 PM   #622
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well! We finally got out of Chetwood, and a good thing that is, because I think Stider was close to strangling a certain two hobbits. We passed the abandoned robbers den (creepy place, that) and are well on our way.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 09:39 PM   #623
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Just checked out the Eowyn Challenge, and discovered someone using my name, but with a white shield. An imposter! Wicked, tricksy, false....

I'll sure be glad to get out of this Marsh. The heat & humidity are bad enough, without even adding in these miserable midges. The Elvish repellent keeps them from biting, but they still try to fly into your hair and up your nose. Absolutely disgusting!

--------------------

The next day, the fourth, was little better, and the night almost as comfortless. Though the Neekerbreekers (as Sam called them) had been left behind, the midges still pursued them.

...Frodo lay, tired but unable to close his eyes...At last he passed into uneasy sleep.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:30 PM   #624
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

I took my time Friday, stopping for several meals, and finally settling down to camp next to Buckleburry Ferry.

On Saturday I made a quick run down to Frodo's house to eat lunch and continued on at a brisk pace until I was at the foot of the large bald hill in the Old Forest.

On Sunday I recovered my strength and only walked when I felt like it. I stopped to camp by the Withywindle.

Yesterday I brushed past Old Man Willow to Tom's house. I stayed as long as I could and then began my trek towards home (The Barrow-Downs), now only ten miles away.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:01 AM   #625
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Esty, my goodness, I had no idea that you were so competitive!

Durelin, I stand in awe of your sheer tenacity.

Last night Strider showed me where deer had scraped their antlers on a tree, and then pointed out a turkey path. Then he pointed out the first place that he went hunting in this area; he showed me the very trees he hid in.

I'm enjoying Strider more and more. I wasn't so sure about this ranger when I met him but he has become dear to me, although he is mysterious at times.

[ June 17, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 06-17-2003, 10:45 AM   #626
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Walked five miles today, and thank God it didn't rain. Will do the senses thing next time...will get add myself to the shield milestones soon!
Old 06-17-2003, 11:26 AM   #627
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

I'm looking for someone to take over this thread; please **email** me at the address in my profile if you are interested. Grace and peace, --Helen

[ June 17, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 06-17-2003, 12:53 PM   #628
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well I registered on the Eowyn Challenge site, but unfortunatly my first effort ended up Lyra Greenlaf (spot the deliberate mistake). I want to email padraig_ec to ask for that to be deleted but I haven't been able to use my email for a week or so. So, padraig_ec, if you ever turn up here again, could you get rid of that name for me? I registered after as Lyra Greenleaf.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 01:49 PM   #629
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

But Estelyn Telcontar--if it was she--was apparently intent upon making progress in her own journey, and soon disappeared from sight behind a ridge.

When the hobbits crossed a stream, Peony saw a turtle, sunning itself on a large rock. She hoped it would have enough sense to burrow into the mud soon, for this pleasant warm weather would not last much longer.
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
Old 06-17-2003, 08:20 PM   #630
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

I didn't really feel up to walking today but I couldn't bear the thought of spending another night with those midges. It feels good to be on firm ground again. Strider spotted some hobbit tracks just as we came to the edge of the Marsh. With my elven sight, I was able to spot the tiny figure of Peony almost 8 leagues ahead (23 miles). I don't think we'll be able to catch up with her...she's moving mighty fast.

--------------------

They had not gone far on the fifth day when they left the last straggling pools and reed-beds of the marshes behind them. The land before them began steadily to rise again. Away in the distance eastward they could now see a line of hills.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:57 PM   #631
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

It's cold, damp, creepy, and a bit dangerous where I am now. I'm here! At the Barrow-Downs! I believe I'll go pay The Barrow-Wight a visit and camp here an extra night.

There's no place like home.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:55 AM   #632
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

Finally, firm ground again! I've caught up with Alatįriėl, on the eastern edge of those darned Marshes.
I have walked 211 miles.
I have reached the eastern edge of the Midgewater Marshes (211).
It is 17 miles to the next landmark.
I still have 247 miles to Rivendell.

They had not gone far on the fifth day when they left the last straggling pools and reed-beds of the marshes behind them. The land before them began steadily to rise again. Away in the distance eastward they could now see a line of hills. The highest of them was at the right of the line and a little separated from the others. It had a conical top, slightly flattened at the summit.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:52 PM   #633
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Mark 12_30 requested that I paste this on the thread, when she discovered her e-mail wasn't available in her profile:

Quote:
mark12_30 / Helen's email address, for those who want to stay in touch, is wrighh@mrdo.com
Old 06-19-2003, 12:29 PM   #634
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Thanks, Cami. On topic comes lower down.

I've had this horrible sneaking suspicision, and I have to ask you, Cami, just to ease my mind, whether the answer is bad or good. Is Helen leaving the Barrow-Downs? I've been puzzling for the longest time why she can't run the WtR thread any longer (btw, Helen, I'll be emailing you about that soon), and it could be simply because she's short on time, but I haven't seen her around for awhile, either. So, Child, if you know, or if anyone knows, please tell me.

Here's the on topic part.

Tuesday I finally got to see my pony again, and I rode a Halflinger to the grand total of three miles! Is Acorn a Hobbitish enough name, btw, or should I give her a Hobbit nickname? A few hours later after nearly collapsing in the heat from exhaustion, (I need someone to remind to eat breakfast next time) I walked another two miles through the hospital.

Only seven miles more to get away from Bombadil. My throat is sore from singing so much but I feel that somehow it's better my throat than ears! Maybe I should transition between the two...
Old 06-19-2003, 04:20 PM   #635
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

You have walked 314 miles.
You are still south of the Road (314).
It is 14 miles to the next landmark. You still have 144 miles to Rivendell.

It seemed too much to hope that the Riders had already lost their trail again. Perhaps they were waiting to make some ambush in a narrow place?

It looks like I'll be "still south of the road" for a bit [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] But at least I made it past the 300 mile mark! Its been some hard running though, its over 90*F here!

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: Vardamar ]
Old 06-19-2003, 06:05 PM   #636
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

The fine sunny weather lasted only two days, just long enough for everyone's clothing to dry out, before another gray and rainy day dawned. The rain fell steadily through the morning and early afternoon. Then the wind shifted, and the rain became a fine mist. The air was still warm, however, and the mist felt rather refreshing on Peony's face. By nightfall, even it had stopped, and the clouds were drifting away as the company stopped to camp.
-The Return of the King
Old 06-19-2003, 09:10 PM   #637
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Arwen, glad to see you! I loved the look on Strider's face when you snuck up behind him yesterday. "A ranger caught off his guard...again!!" If we can get him to stop pouting, maybe he will sing for us after dinner. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

--------------------

The highest of them was at the right of the line and a little separated from the others. It had a conical top, slightly flattened at the summit.

"That is Weathertop," said Strider. "The Old Road, which we have left far away on our right, runs to the south of it and passes not far from its foot."
Old 06-22-2003, 07:08 AM   #638
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

Yes, I do hope Aragorn stops crying. Those little baby-like sobs can get frightening after dark.
I have walked 227 miles.
I have passed the eastern edge of the Midgewater Marshes (211).
I am only 1 mile from a small stream coming down from the Weather Hills.
I still have 231 miles to Rivendell.
They had not gone far on the fifth day when they left the last straggling pools and reed-beds of the marshes behind them. The land before them began steadily to rise again. Away in the distance eastward they could now see a line of hills. The highest of them was at the right of the line and a little separated from the others. It had a conical top, slightly flattened at the summit.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:11 PM   #639
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Thursday: I reluctantly made my way from the Barrow-Downs, and stopped for the night when I reached the road to Bree.

Friday: The Prancing Pony! It was probably my last chance to fill my stomach and sleep in a comfortable bed. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Saturday: After tossing a couple of apples at Bill Ferny, I set out from Bree and stopped just on the other side of Chetwood.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:34 PM   #640
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Hello all! Arafangwen is back and with many more miles under her belt! I thankfully passed Old Man Willow on his day off and headed quickly for Bree where I stayed for two days having left yesterday.

Sight- Moose, a strange creature to spot in ME if I might say so myself...

Smell- Texas air! I missed it so much! Ahem, I mean Bree air of course.

Taste- Halibut, this elf has aquired a taste for fish (uncommon, no?).

"I wonder exactly how far ahead the Phantom is." Arafangwen thought to herself as she walked off into the sunset hoping to catch sight of the shrouded figure soon.

NOTE: I will be gone for about four more days, just to let you know.
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote