Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2008, 07:47 AM   #41
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Mira was on pins and needles when Rudy and Gaffer went aside to talk. As Hugo came back, she cast him an asking glance, but he just wished them a goodnight, and went in.

She looked disparingly at Peony. She knew that if Gaffer Hugo would say nothing, Rudy would be worse. He would probably smile patronizingly before refusing to say nothing. So to save herself that, Mira just went in to bed, and hoped they would let her go.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #42
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
It was late when Bunny finally laid her head on her pillow, she was tired but she knew sleep would not come easily. She was too excited to contain herself, she was finally going on an adventure.
Won't Pa be proud of me when I return, unhurt and with fantastic stories to tell. Ma will be just grateful that I didn't get eatin' by a Troll. Bunny giggled to herself. Now isn't Mr Browning going to have a grand ol' time with all us girls...
Bunny let out a loud HA!! and she was answered with a loud shushing from down the hall. Bunny covered her mouth and snorted into her pillow and rolled over. As she drifted of to sleep she dreamt of sweet smelling gardens and crisp tart apples.

Bunny opened her eyes to birds singing and the sunlight peeking through the little curtains in her room. She grinned and stretched. She could not believe this day had finally come. They were going to leave today. Leaping out of bed, Bunny quickly changed into her travelling clothes and tidied the little room, packing up all her belongings into her now clean and stitch sack, Courteous of Mrs, Bogsworth.

She could hear Fred and Brown laughing together, in the kitchen as she padded down the hall, the smoky smell and sizzling of the bacon with the aroma of fried mushrooms made Bunny's mouth water.
"I hope you made extras, my tummy is growling up a storm!!" Maylily swatted Bunny's behind as she attempted to taste from the pan of mushrooms.
"Yes I've made extras, but they are for you three to take along. I assume since your packed already and Tansy has been busy all morning that you would be leaving as soon as you can. Brown and Fred have eatin their share, so dig in and eat some before I put them away."
Bunny did as she was told and had her fill of mushrooms.
Tansy came in then with a smile. "So you two, are we ready?" She asked with a smirk. Bunny looked at Brown, Brown looked at Tansy and they all grinned. They were ready.

They hugged and thanked Tansy's mother as she hung on a little tighter to her daughter, they would be careful, they promised and not be too long. They waved goodbye over their shoulders as they walked the short distance to Peony's house. As the drew near, there appeared to be more than Peony and Mira loitering around Peony's house.

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-21-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:34 PM   #43
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hugo came into the kitchen, Snatch skipping along by his side, and found that he was not the first to rise. Melilot was, of course, busy at making breakfast for a horde of hobbits. Rudy was already stuffing his mouth full of eggs and rashers of bacon and fresh baked rye bread, washing it down with a big glass of milk. The girls had not yet appeared.

"Good morning!" Hugo said. "How's the weather?"

"Oh, the sun's shining bright and not a cloud to be seen," Melilot smiled. "How many eggs would you like, Pa?"

"Two, fried up an' bled. No soft yolk for me! Mmm! It smells wunnerful!" Hugo sat himself down opposite Rudy and eyed his grandson. Snatch situated himself right at the feet of Hugo's chair, eager and confident of scraps, his mouth closed and his eyes looking expectantly up at his master.

"So, Master Rudy Chubb, what'd you say to the girls?"

"Not a thing," Rudy offered. "I wanted to keep them wondering."

"Well, I'm wondering too! What are you thinking after a night of sleepin' on it?" Hugo waited for Rudy to chew and chew and swallow the amazing amount of meat and eggs he'd popped into his mouth so he could answer.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:19 PM   #44
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Peony had slept little if at all. Though the future of her adventure was unsure she had spent much of the night sneaking around and packing. Maps, food, extra clothing, all was waiting in some packs in the bushes outside. Now it was a waiting game.

When the Hobbit lass had finally laid down sleep, she just stared into the darkness, her stomach fluttering. If Gaffer Hugo and Rudy said no to trekking around, looking for Ent-wives, that was final. They would tell Melilot and Peony would be confined to her room for weeks.

She dressed quickly, but moved slowly toward the kitchen. Smells of her mother's cooking filled the halls, but with each step Peony filled with more dread. She swallowed the lump in her throat as she stepped into the kitchen. As she guessed Rudy and Hugo were already sitted at the table.

They didn't acknowledge her, instead the two seemed to be discussing their own plans.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #45
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
"After a night sleepin' on it?" Rudy grumbled. "Does it look like I've had any sleep, to you?" By Rudy's looks, he wasn't lying, but he never was this grumpy before.

"What are you going to say?" the Gaffer said again.

"Bacon is my friend. At least bacon is good to me and won't abandon me to go on some foolish quest in search for their baconwives." He said as he shoveled more bacon into his mouth.

"Rudy? You still have me wondering?"

Rudy had finally taken notice of Peony. "Morning, Peony. What a lovely day for an adventure don't you think? It would be unfortunate if you could not go outside on this fine adventurous morning. Wouldn't you agree?"

Rudy was probably intentionally torturing Peony, only slightly though. He wanted to keep her guessing, make her sweat a bit. Rudy thought it was only fair, since he did not appreciate the way Peony had talked to him yesterday. "Do not fret, Gaffer, I'm not going to keep you wondering any longer. I think I'm finished, Peony, and now I must go give my compliments to the cook."
Old 02-26-2008, 10:44 PM   #46
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"I think I'm finished, Peony, and now I must go give my compliments to the cook."

Peony panicked, thinking Rudy would reveal to Melilot her plans with Bunny and Tansy. Rudy stood and smirked. She could not let him spoil this, not for her, not for Mira.

"Ma!" Peony nearly screamed.

"Goodness Peony, what is wrong?" Her mother had nearly dropped her tea kettle do to Peony's outburst.

Peony realized she had no lie to feed her mother to get her out of the kitchen. Still she had to think of something, something that would remove Melilot from the room for a few minutes. "Those rabbits are back, eatin' all your fine flowers and such."

Melilot grumbled and armed herself with the tea kettle. "I thought your brothers had scared those pesky creatures away for good." The older hobbit stormed out of the kitchen to chase away the rabbits Peony had invented.

When Melilot was gone, Peony angrily cut her eyes to Rudy. "How dare you try to ruin our adventure." Peony snapped. She had never once raised her voice at any relation outside her brothers. It was almost painful to be so angry with Rudy. "There's no harm in us lookin' for the entwives. But there's no reason to stop Mira and me from having a bit of an adventure!"
Old 02-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #47
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Mira stood just beyond the opening of the door into the kitchen. She felt awful for crossing Rudy and Hugo the night before, and was almost tempted to apoligize. But pride kept her back, pride in herself, and not wanting to let Peony down now that she had stood up for her.

Peony's vehement "Ma!" startled Mira into jumping backwards. She stumbled and nearly fell over her own feet, and by the time she had resumed her place by the door Peony was half through her false pretence to get Melilot out, and soon Mira's aunt had left the kitchen to go chase rabbits.

Peony's angry question, or rather statement, to Rudy would soon bring out what Hugo and Rudy thought, so Mira was hoping, but almost hopeless. She could tell Rudy was tired and rather grumpy. With a sigh, Mira sat down just inside the door to hear everything that was said.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #48
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Snatch had raised his head and perked his ears at mention of the word 'rabbit', and followed Melilot out of the kitchen; better live food fresh off the bone than pickings from master's plate, apparently.

"Now now, Peony," Gaffer Hugo said, "let's not be all up in arms an' everything. It's like this. Rudy an' I ain't going to let you go on this adventure-"

"But Gaffer!" Peony cried.

"Now I ain't finished! Here me out, my pea," Gaffer scolded with a smile. "Like I was saying, we won't let you go adventuring on your own, so we're comin' with to make sure you don't trip into a troll's den or somethin', and there's nothin' you can say to keep us from joining you. Besides, I want to see the look on your faces when there's no entwives from here to the quarry to the farthing stone nor anywheres else you think such a creature might hide. An' what's more, it has to be seen walkin'. You won't get me believin' a tree's an ent just because it has limbs in the right places.

"Now you and Mira come sit down and cool off and have first breakfast."
Old 02-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #49
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"Now I ain't finished! Here me out, my pea. Like I was saying, we won't let you go adventuring on your own, so we're comin' with to make sure you don't trip into a troll's den or somethin', and there's nothin' you can say to keep us from joining you. Besides, I want to see the look on your faces when there's no entwives from here to the quarry to the farthing stone nor anywheres else you think such a creature might hide. An' what's more, it has to be seen walkin'. You won't get me believin' a tree's an ent just because it has limbs in the right places.

"Now you and Mira come sit down and cool off and have first breakfast."

Surprise and happiness surged up in Mira. Going? Both of them? And letting her go too!

For the moment happiness won, and she ran of to Gaffer Hugo and threw her arms round his neck and gave him a kiss on the check.

"Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!" she cried barely taking a breath. She then ran over to Rudy and tried to do the same, but wasn't too surprised when he refused to let her. So she beamed at Peony, and then went over to the table to take her Gaffers advice.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #50
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
"Cheer up, Tansy! We're going on an adventure today!" Bunny smiled.

Tansy returned the smile, although a bit half-heartedly. She was still troubled by Fred's ill-humoured goodbye. It seemed that Brown too had noticed it. That troubled Tansy as well: she hoped her brother's friend would not think that ge was childish. Or realise that he is, Tansy thought somewhat grudgingly.

Fred had always been the apple of their mother's eye and he had never really had to grow up and sometimes it could be seen very easily.

"I'm sorry for harbouring bad thoughts on a good day like this," Tansy said, annoyed at herself. She did not want to ruin the day for herself and especially not for Bunny and Brown.

Fortunately Brown interfered: "A good day? Why, Miss Tansy, you must be a pessimist - for I would call it excellent."

Bunny chuckled and Tansy's smile was replaced by a more genuine one. They had not even walked from her home to Peony's place and she was already enjoying the cheerful company. By the time they arrived, the two younger Hobbits had infected their seemingly happy and careless mood on her as well.

They arrived at Peony's house only to be rousingly welcomed by Gaffer Hugo's dog, Snatch. If they had been trying to sneak around, it would have been no good for the uproar Snatch made.

"Quiet, Snatch!" cried Melilot, which the dog did not immediatley agree to do. Once he recognized Tansy and Bunny as harmless hobbit lasses, his tongue hung out of his mouth in a big smile, ready to lick whatever hand or face was extended. But he growled at Brown. Then he backed away a bit, but kept eyeing him suspiciously. Melilot welcomed the guests and went in.

At the doorstep and Peony herself came to welcome them. Tansy greeted her with a warm smile and a blunt question: "Are you and Mira ready to leave?"

Mira and Gaffer Hugo had appeared behind Peony's back. She glanced at her young cousin. "I think we are," she said and smiled at Tansy.

"So are Rudy an' me!" Gaffer Hugo grinned.

Last edited by Thinlómien; 03-07-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #51
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Bunny's expression and feeling of joy dropped from her face and she furrowed her brow. This wasn't in the plan at all, bunny thought to herself, now there are more mouths to feed...her stomach rumbled at the thought. And that appears to be a Gaffer...oh my, Brown was a surprise enough. She had wanted to keep this whole adventure secret and by the looks of things, word may get back some how to her home and her Ma and Pa.
Bunny looked to Tansy as she too passed a look on to Peony. "Well I see we have more adventurers on our hands then originally planned." Bunny said with a some what forced smile. I guess that's OK, I mean.... I don't want to sound rude, but, well I'm just mighty surprised. Bunny swallowed hard.

She tried to push the feelings of selfishness aside. She had wanted to find the Entwives and claim most of the glory and fame, for herself and share the experience with very few other people. But Bunny was not a selfish Hobbit by nature, she just wanted to be liked and found useful and brave. Not just a small Hobbit-lass that was always to be protected. If these other older hobbits were to come then Bunny had to make sure that the adventure still remained hers. She wanted to be the one who led them on. Not be bossed around by a bunch of Men.
But she didn't even have her map anymore, and her Pa would be very disappointed when he found out of her carelessness. Peony had said she had one to replace it. But really Bunny had looked at maps often and was sure she could find the way. We can just follow the river for the most part, she thought.
Bunny decided to herself that she was ok if they came, they would make the trip more interesting she said to herself, trying desperately to believe it.

"Well are we ready to go then?" Bunny said in her most grown up voice and a sincere smile.
"I believe the best route for now would be to just follow the road until we get to the bridge, then cross it to the left side of the river going North. then we needn't cross it later." Bunny reached down and patted the large dog as he circled her playfully. " Well if everyone is ready...then let the fun begin!" Bunny cheerfully exclaimed as she turned to make her way back to the road.

But like always Bunny's mind moved faster than her feet and she stepped on her dress and fell with a thud. Great! Bunny screamed in her head, That looks just like something a brave leader would do. Bunny's face reddened in embarrassment as the large dog licked her face. She quickly recovered and jumped up, not wanting to face the small group. "Oooop" Was all she could say as she hurried in the direction she was headed.

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-18-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #52
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Gaffer Hugo chuckled to himself at the funny sight of Bunny tripping over her own skirt, but he was sympathetic too her embarrassment.

"Well, Bunny," he said loud enough so everyone could hear, "startin' off first thing might be fine, but I've got Mosy my pony an' my cart to get ready."

Bunny looked suddenly crestfallen at yet another delay.

"But that won't take but a quarter hour, an' then we can all hop in and make good time to the bridge. Who knows? Maybe with the head start we'll have, we can stop at the Stonebow Inn for second breakfast an' a pint or two!"

In the century and more that had passed since the Great War, the Shire had prospered, and families had grown larger and larger until new burrows had to be built and new towns settled. One of the places that seemed good for a settlement had been at the Stonebow bridge. First came the Stonebow Inn, just on the south side of the road and the west bank of the river. Then the innkeeper's burrow had been dug right up in the hill not far off, owned by the innkeeper, of the Proudfoot clan. More burrows were dug into the side of that hill, among them a butcher, a glasser, a smith, and other folk until the village of Stonebow had been established, and was now a thriving little burg.

"So jus' hold yer ponies an' I'll get ol' Mosy set up an' we'll be on our way before you know it. Rudy! Give me a hand, will you!"

Gaffer ambled his way down to his pony and cart, followed by Rudy.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #53
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Bunny was crestfallen. She hated to have more delays, but the thought of a pint and perhaps a bit of bacon cheered her up quickly. She smiled to herself and before she gave it much thought she blurted out quite loudly. "Oh yes I suppose you do need a cart and pony...seeing as your age must be VERY great. but I suppose, we should stop off at the Inn. A pint will do us good for our adventure" Bunny smiled, she wasn't about to give up all control of this journey yet.

Bunny thought the cart and pony may be good for the start, but what would happen when they reached the other side of the river? there wasn't a road that she planned on following. How in the world would the cart stay righted? Bunny didn't know if she really was OK with the new additions, she was sure they would just slow them down after the bridge was crossed. Perhaps they may just stay at the Inn, once they find out our direction....Well nothing to do for it now, Bunny thought.

"Alright lets all help get the cart ready, my tummy is growling something fierce", Bunny rubbed her middle to emphasize.

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-18-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:23 PM   #54
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Though Brown had passed by the home of Gaffer Hugo and his clan many times on his trips through Brandy Hall, he had not met any of the inhabitants. Certainly he had traded "good day" and "hullo" with Rudy and even the gaffer himself on occasion, but he was best acquainted with Snatch. The terrier had often chased him down the lane or barked at him along the fence. Brown often tried to feed him bits of biscuits or meat, but had rarely got more than cordially territorial glares or growls in return. Snatch was never aggressive, just very, very official, as if he was saying, "I'm sorry sir, but I don't believe we've had the pleasure. Be on your way." Nevertheless, to Brown, Snatch became one of the familiar sights (and certainly sounds!) of Brandy Hall.

When they had walked out that morning (the girls chatting away in front, Brown following in the rear), he had no idea it was the Chubbs they were going to see. Snatch's ferocious barking, followed by the creature himself, careening around the corner, was a surprise.

He decided to let Bunny and Tansy handle these new people, so he stood back by the gate, shifting his weight uneasily from leg to leg and keeping an eye on the sun and wind, while Snatch circled him and a safe distance, growling. It was a good day for traveling, and the roots of his curly brown hair told him that it was likely to stay that way.

It occurred to him to try to size up the Chubbs, so he watched while Bunny and Gaffer Hugo negotiated. He had picked up their names by listening to Tansy and Bunny's conversation, and quickly managed to attach names to faces. The old fellow was surely Gaffer Hugo, and those two were clearly Mira and Peony (it didn't matter much to him which was which, as long as they stayed close together), and that other must be Rudy.

That fellow, thought Brown, Looks as if he had his bacon cut too thin and then burnt.

Though he was uncertain about Rudy and the dog, Brown had already taken a liking to Gaffer Hugo, disarmed by the old gentlehobbit's easy and amiable manner.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 03-18-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #55
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

It was not long before Gaffer Hugo and Rudy had Mosy and the cart all situated and ready to go. As it turned out, the other hobbits seemed not to have been aware of the passage of time, for they were making new acquaintances and renewing old ones, amid plenty of laughter. Bunny was so busy in chatter that she did not even notice that the pony and cart were ready.

Even Snatch seemed to have decided to do some socializing, for he was wagging his entire rear end, intent with a huge smile on his face, with a slightly rough looking gentlehobbit Hugo swore he'd seen around before but did not know well. The hobbit had a stick and he was waving it about, grinning, with Snatch ready to give chase once it was thrown.

Hugo grinned. He could tell a dog lover right off, and this lad was such a one. The stick was thrown. Snatch raced after it and tackled it with his whole body, and pranced back to its original owner with the prize in his mouth. When the hobbit reached down for it, Snatch clamped down hard on the stick and growled good naturedly, his tail wagging furiously.

Hugo stopped Mosy and walked over to the hobbit and his dog. "Hullo there! I see you've met Snatch! And he's met you and likes you, and that's a good sign. I'm Gaffer Hugo Chubb." Hugo extended his hand in greeting.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #56
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Brown took it, and smiled.

"Brown Barrabury. I'm from Woodhall over thataway." Here he gestured southwest with his hand. "Pleasure to meet you Mr. Chubb - and Snatch, too, of course."

Brown had relinquished the stick to Snatch, who dropped it my Brown's feet and sat between Brown and Hugo, looking from one to the other, and seeming to have lost all interest in the stick he worked so hard for. Brown knelt down to help the dog with an itch he seemed to have behind his ear. He looked up at Hugo.

"You aren't planning on bringing him with us, I hope? It's rather rough territory when you get past the North Bounds, and a small dog might have difficulty keeping up. Though, I daresay he's a tough little creature. Seems quite ferocious when you first meet him."

Brown laughed. He found that he felt quite at ease, which he rarely did around new people.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 03-22-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #57
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Gaffer Hugo chuckled. "Oh, aye, he's a ferocious one all right, to strangers at least. But o' course he's friendly as anything to folks as knows dogs, which it's clear you do. An' truth be told, he's been hankerin' for a bit of adventure for some time, now; so he'll come. Matter of fact, he's no doubt in better shape for bein' in the wild than I!

"Anyways, let's all pile into the cart, there's room enough for all."

With that Gaffer Hugo climbed the makeshift steps he'd had installed to make it easier for his old bones to get up into a cart a few feet off the ground. He sat down in the driver's seat, picked up the reins, then hollared and yodeled at the still jabbering lasses.

"Now I thought sure I heard one of you sayin' as you wanted to be off right quick, and here you stand talkin' while the sun rises! Come on up! There's room for all!"

Snatch was first up, climbing the makeshift steps fast as his four short legs could manage it, and onto Gaffer Hugo's lap, his tongue hanging out in a big smile, his eyes bright and happy, eager for the adventure to begin.

"Come on up, Brown! There's enough room on the front seat for both you an' Rudy! We can get acquainted while the lasses yack in back!" Hugo laughed at his rhyme as well as the prettily offended scowls on the faces of his granddaughtes and their friends as they daintily (and not so daintily in the case of Bunny) climbed into the cart.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 04-17-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #58
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Rudy had been very silent all day, it was no secret he didn't like this adventure. It wasn't that he was some grumpy, lonely adult that despised hobbit children, on the contrary, he was fascinated by the imagination of the younger hobbits. Mira could put a smile on his face in an instant.

Rudy just didn't want to have to handle the hobbits when their adventure ends in disappointment, and he knew that is what will happen. He remembers the youthful days of excitement, adventure, and danger, but those days are long passed. He has come of age, and he knows when they finally realize there is no such thing as Entwives they will be devastated and who would have to deal with them on the return trip home? He would.

Nevertheless, Rudy got in the cart and took a seat next to his Gaffer. "Well, I'm ready for this adventure." Rudy forced out a smile, to try to look excited about the adventure, but it wasn't going to fool anyone.

Last edited by Boromir88; 03-25-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #59
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

With every hobbit in the cart, Brown, Rudy and Gaffer Hugo (and Snatch) in the front seat, good-byes were said to Melilot, and well wishes made to be passed on to Lizzy by way of Melilot. Hugo gave the reins a hearty flick and a "Hyah, Mosy!" and they were off.

The countryside moved by quickly, for Mosy seemed to feel the excitement of the whole party of hobbits and gave it a good trot. Gaffer Hugo, Rudy, and Brown talked about many things, including the lay of the land north of the Road, and so got pretty well acquainted, and rather pleased with the suddenly blooming friendship.

It was not long before they reached the Great East Road and the Stonebow bridge, and the Stonebow Inn, just in time for second breakfast or first lunch depending on a hobbit's preference.

Everyone tumbled out and made their way to the front door while Gaffer Hugo waited. Then he flicked the reins to move Mosy toward the stable where he met the local ostler, quite a friendly chap who loved dogs no less. Hugo and Burt Boffin got to talking and the Gaffer almost forgot about food, then realized the others were probably waiting for him. In his hurry to get down from the cart he tripped and fell to the cobbled stones with a wrench of his right foot.

It hurt something fierce, but he kept his tongue between his lips. It would not do to go complaining about bodily ailments when they'd barely started.

"You all right there, Master Chubb?" asked Burt.

"I'll be fine, you jus' go see to Mosy." His words came out more irritable than he meant them to.

"Yes sir, Master Chubb!" Burt left him alone, leading Mosy to a manger of hay inside the stable.

Bother it, such a fall at a most inconvenient time! he murmured to himself. He got to his knees, then placed his sure foot beneath him. He rose on one leg, and gingerly tested his right foot .... ow! nope. He sat back down on the cobbles and decided to wait until the pain went away before he tried again.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #60
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

The Stonebow Inn was a low, broad structure with a thatched roof, many doors, and even more chimneys. To the left, across a cobblestone courtyard, stood several outlying structures: a stable, several sheds, and two outhouses. On the right side of the building was a large vegetable and herb garden, which had just been hoed and furrowed, ready for planting. Small signs had even been put up along the rows, denoting the future locations of beans, carrots, rosemary, tomatoes, and, naturally, potatoes.

Brown was the first one down out of the cart, and Snatch made as if to follow him, but Brown motioned for him to stay with Gaffer Hugo. Brown strode as quickly as a hobbit can across the cobblestones to the front door of the inn. Inside, he found the inn to be cozy and rough, framed with thick beams of dark wood. The tables and bar were built of similar material, and crowded around these were more hobbits than Brown had seen in one place for a long time. He paused in the doorway, and looked back. The others had just stepped down out of the cart and Hugo was driving it off to the stables. Brown turned back and stepped into the cheery, crowded, smoky hustle and bustle of the Stonebow Inn.

He slid up to the counter, and asked for a pint and a plate of bacon and beans. Perhaps he'd have time for a pipe before they left the inn.

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-30-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #61
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Valier's post:

Bunny's spirits were lifted as soon as they entered the Inn. She loved Inn's, her brothers had taken her to many and this one was a favorite. "I'll have a pint...or two" laughed Bunny to the barkeeper. She motioned for the barkeep to bring three more for the other lasses, as she motioned for them to join her at a table. The boys seemed content for the moment to chat together at the bar.

Bunny took a sip from her frothing mug that the barkeep plunked down on the table. He waited for someone to pay him and when no one motioned to do so, he gave a little cough. "Oh yes, I do suppose we must pay for these..." Bunny gave a wide grin. "See those lads sitting by the bar there?" She pointed to where Brown sat filling his face with bacon and beans, next to Rudy. "He has been so kind as to pay for this round...and the next!" Bunny giggled as the girls tried to suppress their own giggles. "Hey you there! The barkeep motioned towards Brown. Brown looked round and Bunny lifted her drink.
Brown gave a nod, thinking Bunny was saying hello and went back to his meal. With a quick gleam in her eye and a twist of opportunity she caught the barkeeps eye and motioned for him to bring them two of his best Lamb hocks and beans. The barkeep looked satisfied with Browns reaction and when back to the bar to fetch the food..

Bunny burst out laughing no longer able to contain herself.
"Let us drink to the boys health then," Bunny lifted her mug and downed it in one large, long gulp. Bunny cleared her throat and began a little jotty dance, belting out,

"Food and drink we love so much, but even better when not paid by us",
"Beans and brew aren't so bad especially when paid for by a lad!

She finished with a little curtsy, sat and reached for her next mug.

Brown having not been really paying attention to his surroundings did not catch the words of Bunny's song, but let out a loud cheer anyways. Which only served to make the table of Lasses laugh louder.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Boromir88's post:

After getting a nice, big pint Rudy went to go take a seat next to Brown. "This is how I get myself ready for adventures!" Rudy chuckled as he sat down. He wasn't going to have anything for second breakfast, he was still full from Melilot's breakfast! He made himself remember to grab some biscuits before leaving. Rudy liked biscuits about as much as he liked bacon. However, he could care less about fruit.

Rudy liked talking to Brown. Brown was quiet, reserved, and Rudy liked those qualities in a hobbit (especially since Rudy was the complete opposite). Suddenly, Rudy stopped, something was not right; where was the gaffer? Rudy quickly got up from his seat, "I'm sorry Brown, I got to find Hugo." He tried not to sound worried, as he didn't want to trouble anyone, but Rudy wasn't sure if it worked.

Mira must have noticed something in Rudy's face, she had gotten out of her seat as quick as he did. Rudy simply sent Mira a nod, which told her he was going to got get the Gaffer. He let out a 'real' smile for the first time in two days.

Rudy hurried out of the inn. He rushed towards the stables where he saw Hugo leaning up against the cart. "Gaffer! What are you doing out here? You're missing out on all the excitement. If you get yourself off this ground, the first pint is on me. Let me help you up." Rudy said.

Maybe the Gaffer didn't want Rudy knowing he hurt his foot and thought it would be ok to walk on now, or maybe he was just thrilled at Rudy offering him a pint, Rudy didn't know. But, when Hugo let out another cry, as he tried to get up; Rudy found out fast that the Gaffer was in serious pain. Hugo fell back to the ground.

"Gaffer!" Rudy was overcome with terror. "What happened!?"

"Oh, its nothin' I jus' wrenched my foot, that is all."

"Nonsense! Don't you try to move, not an inch, you understand!? I'm going to go get Burt." Rudy hated sounding so authoritative towards his Gaffer, but if Hugo was smart, he would listen.

In an instant, Rudy went racing towards the stables to try to find Burt.

Last edited by Boromir88; 04-02-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:46 AM   #62
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
All the younger women were laughing at Bunny's prank. Tansy couldn't help a smile creeping to her face, even though she knew she should disapprove of her friend's childish behaviour. She stretched her furry legs and took a sip from her pint. Right now, she did not want to bother with worrying about things. She was merely having fun with these nice people and Bunny was the leader. So Tansy could just relax and leave all responsibility behind, be as careless as she had been fifteen years ago. Suddenly she started laughing too, and laughed even more than the younger lasses had. This made Bunny burst laughing again, Peony cast Tansy a puzzled look and Mira having a face that could be interpreted the way that she was wondering how Tansy could be so slow to get the joke.

Tansy had been paying the young Hobbit little attention in all the chaos and she felt a bit guilty of it. So she truned to Mira and in response to her slightly quizzical look, she said: "Never mind, dear, you wouldn't get the joke, you're too young." Then she realised that what she had just said would have been the worst thing to say to herself when she was of Mira's age.

"Aye, she's so old that she does not even understand us young people anymore", Bunny teased, saving the situation. This made both Mira and Peony giggle - especially as they knew there was not even a crumb of truth to it.

Tansy smiled. "Anyway, Mira, am I mistaken if I say you've never been on an adventure before? The first adventure is always an important occassion... I think we must have a toast for it!"
Old 03-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #63
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Gaffer Hugo had been ready to lash Rudy with words about being disrespectful to his elders, but the young hobbit had been off so quick to the stables that he hadn't gotten the chance. Now he thought better of it; the lad was worried, was all.

Snatch had taken the opportunity of the stopped cart to explore the area, but had now returned, not having been called by his master, which was unusual. He trotted up, his ears fondly back, sniffing at his master.

"Hey there, doggy, seems I've done twisted my ankle." Hugo rubbed it. The pain was beginning to build. Why, of all the nuisances, did this have to happen now? He began to feel lightheaded. Snatch sniffed at his ankle and began to lick it, which did no help but no harm neither.

Here came Rudy running back with Burt in tow. They insisted on getting under each of his arms and almost carrying him into the inn. How humiliating.

To garner some self-respect out of the situation, Hugo said, "Ostler, how is my Mosy? Have you set him up proper?"

"Yes sir," Burt said. "But don't overdo things. You're in a bad way."

"I'm in no bad way! I just twisted my ankle is - ow!" Now he was seeing stars, but he wasn't going to tell nobody about that, or they'd think he was about to faint. That would be embarrassing.

Snatch came trotting after, his big brown eyes looking worried, and the four of them entered the inn.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:03 AM   #64
Kitanna
Child of the West

"Aye, she's so old that she does not even understand us young people anymore", Peony giggled as Bunny poked fun at Tansy.

"The first adventure is always an important occassion... I think we must have a toast for it!" The hobbit lasses raised their pints in a toast to the occasion.

"We need this adventure," Peony said, "Then maybe we can grab some renown that's not been seen since the hobbits of the Great War." If Peony guessed correctly this was what Bunny was after and the thought of praise throughout the Shire for finding the Entwives excited Peony a great deal.

She took a sip from her pint and smiled, leaning back in her chair. The morning had taken an unexpected turn when Rudy and Hugo decided to come along. It had nearly devastated poor Bunny, but now it seemed things would go smoothly. If all continued this way, the rest of their journey would run smoothly.

Content with her pint and the promise of a second breakfast Peony let out a sigh. But the contentment could not last, Mira's gaze had darted to the door and worry shrouded her face. Peony looked toward the door and saw Rudy and Burt bringing in Gaffer Hugo.

Last edited by Kitanna; 04-02-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #65
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mira laughed heartily at Bunny, though she did hope that everything would be explained to Brown before the Innkeeper came for the bill. She saw Rudy get up though, and it occured to her suddenly that the Gaffer hadn't come in yet. She stood up to go with Rudy, but he sent her a reasuring glance, and a nod, so she sat back down.

Right then Tansy started laughing at Bunny too, but it was strange that it had taken her so long to see what was funny. Mira looked at her curiously before remember her manners and keeping her eyes to herself. Tansy however didn't seem to mind but explained,

"Never mind, dear, you wouldn't get the joke, you're too young."

Mira got the closes to grumpy she had been in the last week. Too young to get the joke? It'd been Tansy that was late in getting it, not her.

But Bunny cut in with a cocky "Aye, she's so old that she does not even understand us young people anymore," which set the them all giggling again.

"Anyway, Mira, am I mistaken if I say you've never been on an adventure before? The first adventure is always an important occassion... I think we must have a toast for it!" said Tansy, the kindness of her words erasing anything that Mira may have held against her, though the attention being drawn to herself made her blush.

Right then she noticed Rudy and Burt, the ostler, helping Gaffer Hugo into the inn. She started up worried. Hugo looked as if he were in a lot of pain. She quickly got up and ran over to them.

"What's wrong? What happened? Are you alright? You're hurt aren't you? Is there anything I can do?" She asked one after the other. She felt near to panic. She could tell he wasn't trying to show it, but it was plain that her Grandfather had hurt himself something terrible.

Last edited by piosenniel; 04-05-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #66
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

All of a sudden Gaffer Hugo was in a dark, closed in place, and he wished he was back outside where he could breathe free. Everybody and their neighbor were crowding around, their faces all full of concern, and it made him feel like he was being smothered.

"Are you hurt?" "Are you all right?" "What happened?"

"Give me some air!" he cried. "And some vittles and drink! I fell off my cart and twisted my ankle is all. I'll be all right, you can be sure, just let me be for a bit!"

Mercifully, Rudy and Burt helped him to a table by a big round window that looked out on the River.

"My but his ankle's swollen something fierce!" "He looks a little white in the face if you ask me." "Someone at his age unattended. Humph!"

Someone gave him a pillow to prop his foot on, and up came Snatch looking as worried as any of the busybodies looking on; but also looking hungry and ready to be fed regardless of the state of his master's ankle.

"Now you be a good boy," Hugo said, "and just lie there next to me so's I can get at my food an' give you a bite now and then."

"Are you sure you're okay?" "Do you need anything else, Gaffer?" "Are you feeling dizzy?"

Before long, food and drink were brought, and Hugo began to feel more himself, though his hip opposite the twisted ankle felt a little wrenched too, but he wasn't about to say anything an' give all these meddlesome folk yet another thing to worry at. Ever since he had sat down, the lightheadedness had dissipated, which helped. He set to with a will on his vittles, and just wished everyone would let be. "Unattended at my age," mumbled, "had better be the way it stays if I have anything to say about it, ain't that so Snatch?"
Old 04-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #67
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Brown finished his beer and sat back.

"That," he said, "That was a proper 1420, that was."

When they had brought Gaffer Hugo in, Brown had tried to get close to see what the trouble was. It was no good, of course; there was too much of a crowd. Knowing he couldn't do anything to help, Brown had returned to his stool to finish his breakfast. However, he was concerned about the Gaffer (and a bit curious, too). If he was injured, he might be in any condition to come along - not where they would be going.

Well, he thought, I'd better see how he is.

Brown arose with that intention and found himself faced with the innkeeper, who held out a long, narrow piece of paper on which was scrawled a rather long list of items. He stared at it, confused.

10 pints of stout? Lamb hocks? Lentil stew? What?

"Your bill, master." The innkeeper clearly knew something Brown did not.

"My bill?" replied Brown, who was by this time thoroughly bewildered.

"Aye..." returned the innkeeper, who was now looking at Brown with somewhat narrowed eyes. "The young ladies over there" (he jerked his head towards their table) "said you'd be payin'."

Brown looked over towards Bunny and her companions. Conversation had been subdued when Gaffer Hugo came in injured, but now Bunny was laughing and chatting with her friends as if nothing in the world was the matter. Then Brown understood.

"Just a moment," he said to the innkeeper, and headed over towards Bunny's table. He tried to look stern.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #68
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Bunny's fun at the Inn was becoming steadily more unfunny. Hugo Gaffer appeared to be injured, even though he had said he was fine. Which worried Bunny a great deal. She was sure this would slow them down some degree, she was beginning to like Mira and the Gaffer, and Rudy seemed nice enough, but this was turning out to be a leisurely stroll through the Shire, not what she had intended. She was not going to let it get to her, she decided. There was still some fun to be had, before the day was done.

Bunny told the lasses a little joke her father had told her and couldn't help but laugh herself, at the reactions of the girls. But the fun was cut short as well as the laughter. Bunny turned and beheld Brown standing there, arms crossed looking stern. Bunny had not given her little plan a lot of thought. It was just a spur of the moment joke and now she had to come up with something so that Brown did not become cross with her, but not giving in. She wanted to assert a certain amount of dominance, but traveling with someone she had tricked did not in the long run seem like fun. Bunny was not usually one to cause so much trouble, but being away from her families watchful eyes made her feel free and slightly giddy.

Bunny reached up and smoothed her bushy hair, in an attempt to buy herself some time. She needed to think and think quickly.
"Oh Hello there Mister Brown!" Bunny smiled her biggest. She decided to just make it up as she went along.
"I must thank you Brown" Bunny jumped up and took Browns hand in hers.
"We little Lasses were just sooooo famished." As she said this Bunny put the back of her hand to her forehead and swooned slightly.
"I just thought you would have seen this and insisted on purchasing some fine vittles for us."

Bunny turned slightly towards the table of girls, as they stared back at her wide eyed and tried not to giggle.
"We really do appreciate it, Right Lasses?" Bunny threw them all a pleading look.
in chorus they all answered
"Oh yes!"
"So we must thank you again." Bunny smiled sweetly to Brown who just stood there looking confused. He shuffled his feet and looked down for just a moment.

Bunny reached into her pocket and cupped some coins in her hand. As Brown looked up, Bunny lunged at him giving him a large hug, all the while emptied her hand into Browns pocket. She pulled back and straightened her skirt. Brown looked surprised and flustered.

"Now I think if everyone has had their fill we should perhaps get ready to go? Why don't you go square up and see if Gaffer Hugo and Rudy are ready."
Bunny gave Brown a slight push towards Hugo and Rudy, he still looking slightly confused and obliged.
Bunny watched until Brown was gone and sat back into her chair with flop. She didn't think she needed to mention the money she had put in Brown's pocket, not just yet. She wanted to let them all think, at least for awhile that she had indeed tricked Brown into paying for their food and drinks.

"Glad that went well" Bunny laughed and finished off the last of her mug."Are you ladies ready to be off? Inn's are fun and all, but I think I should like to feel the road beneath my feet."
Old 04-11-2008, 03:58 AM   #69
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

It was not long before food and drink had been had by all, including Snatch. Gaffer Hugo felt satisfied, and was ready to be moving despite the wunnerful view of the Brandywine River from his big window.

He tested his ankle just a bit on the floor. It was no good. His hip was sore yet, but he figured that was a just from the ankle problem. He was not feeling dizzy anymore, food and drink had done him good. But there was no help for it, he would not be able to walk.

He called the innkeeper over and explained his predicament.

"Don't you worry, Gaffer, I'll have Burt take your Mosy off the cart an' I'll keep that cart nice and clean for you, don't even think about rent, if you'll let me use it from time to time I'll make sure it's as good as new when you get back."

"That suits me fine," Gaffer smiled. "But I didn't bring a saddle for Mosy. Have you any to spare?"

"I think I can find one, and I'll loan it to you in trade for use of your cart. What say you?"

"I'll keep you saddle as well as you'll keep my cart an' we're even," Hugo grinned. They shook on it and the innkeeper hurried off to the stables.

It was not long before Rudy and Brown had helped Hugo out to the courtyard and Mosy stood saddled up and a pack behind the saddle, and all they needed to do was hoist Hugo up into the saddle. Someone they managed it, and Hugo was up no worse for the wear. But then he had a thought.

"I forgot to pay for my lunch!"

"Don't worry," the innkeeper said, "your young man Brown here paid for everybody, including you!"

"Well I'm obliged to be sure!" Hugo said. "You make a fine new friend, Brown!"
Old 04-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #70
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Brown smoothed the hair on Mosy's neck and considered explaining what had actually happened.

Instead, he said: "Ah...of course. Though, to be fair, Bunny helped as well."

Bunny might be a thoroughly silly hobbit, but she clearly meant well enough. He'd give her a second chance.

"Well, Gaffer, if you're set, then we should be off. I should like to be on the road before the day gets away from us. Rudy, will you fetch the lasses, or should I?"
Old 04-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #71
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

The party struck west, walking briskly, and with Mosy refreshed at the Stonebow Inn, carrying Gaffer Hugo and some baggage seemed not to bother him at all. Snatch pranced ahead, ran back behind, and sniffed at everything his nose led him to, from side to side. He snapped at butterflies, raced after squirrels, and generally assured himself of a very exchausted and satisfied night's sleep when it came.

Gaffer Hugo, for his part, rather enjoyed being able to see things from up high on Mosy's back. He waved to passersby with a smile that hid the pain he felt in ankle and hip. The food and drink had done him good, but he did not talk much. No need! Bunny, Tansy, Peony and Mira talked enough for all of them.

It seemed to Hugo that it would not be too long before they reached Whitfurrows. Snatch, on one of his forays to their rear, seemed to catch the whiff of a lone hobbit traveling behind them, and set off barking and grumbling and growling at him before Gaffer Hugo called him back.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 04-27-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #72
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
The noon passed towards afternoon and the day was still sunny and pleasant. The road between Stonebow Bridge and Whitfurrows in the west was well-kept and it was used by many people, hobbit travelers and cartmen. It was true however that most of the travelers passing through it at this time of day were loners or only small groups of tradesmen; or families, of four or five members at most, who went to or returned from visiting their relatives living in other parts of the Shire. A group of seven hobbits, a pony and a dog truly called for attention, if only because any potential traveler had to move aside when the gang of cheerful youth, spread across the entire width of the Road, appeared in front of him. The lasses were chatting happily, the more seriously looking male hobbits and Mosy with Hugo followed, but all were immersed in their own thoughts and the opposite-goers had to take care themselves how to avoid such a cavalcade.

As the afternoon was passing, the amount of people the company met was slowly diminishing. Whoever was on the road, was already close to returning home, so now the folks encountered were mostly the inhabitants of Whitfurrows going back from labouring in the fields or from a trip. Around the fifth hour, the road seemed all empty. The travelers kept walking on, as the village of Whitfurrows had not to be far away, however the sun had still some distance left to the horizon. It was now shining right into their faces. When Mosy for a moment turned his head to the right, the burning image of Sun remained still in his eyes. This way he could not see a young male hobbit walking out of a grove of trees across the field. When Mosy turned back, the hobbit was already treading towards the road in a steady pace, until his feet stepped on the firm ground. There he stopped, tightened his backpack and looked around. The road was quiet and deserted, except for the large group of travelers ahead. Seemingly pleased by the fact, the incomer turned westwards and went on in the footsteps of the company.

It went like this for a while, however soon it became apparent that the lone traveler is faster than the group. It was not that surprising, however: he was a young hobbit, probably still in his tweens; rather stumpy, but quite muscular; not with very long legs, but walking fast; and his mud-stained hairy feet and brown breeches could tell a careful observer that this person has long journey - or perhaps journeys - behind himself. Even his shiny yellow shirt was a little creased and a tiny twig in his brown wavy hair hinted where the tweenager had been sleeping lately. Indeed, the experienced tramp started to soon catch on the company. When he came closer, the laughter and words and bits of dialogue between the travelers reached his ears.

If anyone had turned back at the moment, he would have seen the sudden change in expression of lone hobbit's face. For a little while, he stopped, his eyes observing closely the members of the company, one by one. His sight paused on the lasses, but in the next moment, Gaffer Hugo turned back to look where Snatch had gone and noticed the lone traveler in the complany's back. The tramp's rather thoughtful expression turned into alarmed one and he resumed his course, as if nothing had happened. Gaffer Hugo turned his head back, because Snatch had just crawled out of the field on the other side. But the young lone hobbit moved now steadily on in his course, following the company westwards, keeping constant distance from them.

The afternoon was getting late when the company reached Whitfurrows, an old settlement on the crossing of roads from the Bridge, Frogmorton to the West and Budgeford to the North. At the first houses, the six hobbits and the pony stopped (not Snatch, who was busy chasing a scared hen which dared to go too far from her home - and now was paying for it). They exchanged a few words on how to continue, and a rhetorical question was raised whether to stop here for today or keep going until sunset. There was not much to discuss: on such a nice day, everyone felt like keep walking.

However, this unexpected stop caused the pursuer at their heels to catch up with the group. He did not stop, and had no reason to stop, after all. He passed through their center.

"Good afternoon," Gaffer Hugo greeted him cheerfully from the height of his seat, and others followed.

"..'noon..." the lone traveler stammered, and turned his face away from the companions, so that they didn't see him blushing all over. He also sped up and entered Whitfurrows with the speed of a post runner. He did not dare to turn back and went on steadily, following the road in its course, westwards. Swiftly, he passed the crossroads and at the last houses of Whitfurrows, he started to slow down. Then he took a peek over his shoulder.

The company had resumed its movement meanwhile. They already reached the crossroad, and turned - northwards. The young hobbit gnashed his teeth. For a brief moment, he stood, following the moving group by sight, fists clenched, as if some battle was going on inside him. Then with a sudden move, he turned, and with his face red as lobster he returned to the crossroad and turned towards the North - where, some hundred yards in front of him, the large group was moving.

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 04-23-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #73
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

The travelers crossed the bridge over The Water and stopped in Budgeford for the night. There was a good inn there, as there was in almost every Shire village, and their stay was both comfortable and fairly priced.

In the morning, over first breakfast, Snatch seemed to catch whiff of something right there in the common room that set him off agrumbling and agrowling again, so he only gave half his nose and eyes to Gaffer's plate; which was unusual for Snatch, so Gaffer took notice despite the pain in his ankle which was not lessening as he'd hoped.

"What's up, Snatch, my boy?" He tossed him a piece of sausage that in Snatch's distraction he actually missed, his jaws snapping on air. Most unusual indeed, though the dog was quick enough to scoop it off the wood floor as quick as nothing. Even while chewing he went back to growling and grumbling, which was sort of comical in its way. "Don't go growling with your mouth full o' food, Snatch," Hugo chuckled.

But he took a look in the general direction of Snatch's mistrust, and saw that lone hobbit again that seemed to have decided to go the same way they had. Hugo caught the eye of the hobbit once when he glanced over toward him, and the young hobbit - for he seemed short in years as well as height not to mention grooming - blushed red as a ripe tomato.

"Rudy," Gaffer said to his nephew sitting next to him, busy with his eggs and sausage, "there's somethin' off about that hobbit, that tweener I bet or I'm a babe in arms."

Rudy nodded. "I've been watching him too."

Brown overheard from across the table and took a surreptitious look back of himself in that direction.

"What do you make of it if anything, Brown?"
Old 04-27-2008, 04:18 PM   #74
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Brown looked back again briefly. He thought for a moment and drummed his fingers on the heavy oak table.

"I saw him behind us on the road yesterday, but I hadn't realized he'd followed us all the way here. Maybe it's just coincidence that we've come the same way, but I'll say this: he's certainly been acting curiously."

Brown put a piece of bacon and half a tomato onto a piece of cold toast and then (somehow) fit the whole thing into his mouth. As he chewed, he thought.

"Now why did Snatch notice him? Could he be some kind of rascal, waiting to rob us when we're out on the road...I've heard about hobbits going bad, though I've never known any to myself."

"Then he's a rather stupid rascal," said Rudy, "Because we'd out-number him by 6 - and a dog."

Brown reflected on this and then leaned over to stroke Snatch's tail. "Aye, you're right there...more than likely, he's just some odd fellow that Snatch recognizes from Brandy Hall. Have either of you seen him before?"
Old 04-27-2008, 07:18 PM   #75
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

"Nay, I never saw him before yesterday," Gaffer answered. "And ol' Snatch here, I think he just knows him from yesterday is all. He don't take so kindly to strangers, especially those as acts like they doesn't belong, if you take my meaning."

Hugo skewered more bacon and egg and toast and chewed thoughtfully.

"How about one of you go and have a word with him and see what he's about?"
Old 04-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #76
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Brown grinned widely.

"Then it'll have to be Rudy," he said. "I don't take too kindly to strangers myself."

He laughed at himself, drained his mug, and pushed back his plate. Then he leaned back in his chair and stretched, while out of the corner of his eye he took a good, long look at the strange hobbit. He seemed to be doing his best to not notice them and appeared very absorbed in his breakfast.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 04-27-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: removed signature
Old 04-28-2008, 03:03 PM   #77
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Bunny's ears perked up at the conversation going on between the men. No one seemed to want to talk to this stranger. She looked to where their glances were directed. There sat a normal looking Hobbit, thoroughly engrossed in his breakfast.
Bunny had not even noticed him earlier as the others seemed to have, which embarrassed her some what. She was way too busy chatting up a storm with the other lasses. Living in a house with all brothers, she relished the time she had alone with other girls.

Bunny gave a mischievous grin at the boys, loudly cleared her throat so all their eyes would follow her and pushed back her chair and rose. Smoothing her skirt and hair unconsciously, Bunny made her way through the quieting inn towards the table the stranger occupied.

As she neared she held out her hands in greeting. "Hello there! Kind sir...My name is....OOOOOFFFFFF!!! and down she went. Her wretched toes were always getting in the way! Her face reddened.

"My name is Bunny, Bunny Took." She stated from her spot on the floor. The stranger held out his hand to help Bunny up. " My companions and I have noticed you may be following us.....Are you? and if so why?"
Bunny again straightened her skirt and now stood with hands on her hips looking as stern as one can after just falling onto the floor.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #78
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

"Then it'll have to be Rudy," he said. "I don't take too kindly to strangers myself."

"It looks like Bunny's taking care of our stranger. Besides, I never heard of no hobbit that steals from other hobbits. It's called bor-..." Rudy was cut off by Bunny's sudden spill.

He didn't mean to laugh so hard at the site of Bunny falling down, but he couldn't help himself. "At least we won't be short of any entertainment on this adventure." he told Brown and the Gaffer.

He did feel bad for laughing out loud the way he did. Now, Brown's talk of hobbits going bad, had Rudy wondering about this stranger. He wanted to go find out who was this hobbit.

"I better give our little Bunny a little help." he chuckled. "Will one of you two remind me to get some biscuits before I leave? I forgot after all the excitement in Stonebow, I don't want that to happen again!"

Rudy walked over to the table where the stranger was sitting. Bunny had just asked the stranger why he was following them. He looked at Bunny and smiled "Sorry to intrude, just thought I'd say, you gotta watch out for those floorboards, they like to jump right out in front of you. You should have seen the time when Mira had made breakfast. She had just cleaned up a spill, father went into the kitchen and slipped on the wet floor. I was behind him, saw exactly where he fell, but was laughing so hard I proceeded to walk where he did and took a spill right next to him."

Rudy wanted to make sure Bunny had no hard feelings by his slightly rude laughter. Plus, he wanted to have a reason for going over to the strangers table in the first place. "Hello, sir." he said addressing the hobbit. "You may call me Rudy, and what should I call you?"

Last edited by Boromir88; 04-28-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #79
Kitanna
Child of the West

Peony had noticed the stranger for a fleeting moment on the road, but she gave no heed to him. Even now, after easedropping on the men's talk, she saw no need to be worried about him. He didn't seem like a hobbit "gone bad" as Brown has said. He seemed to be no more than an embarrassed tweenager.

Bunny was prepared to engage the stranger in conversation. Though her own two feet betrayed her and she stumbled before him. Rudy soon joined Bunny, Peony guessed it was to find out about this mysterious hobbit. While they gathered what information they could, Peony hoped to gain some insight from Gaffer Hugo and perhaps even Brown. If they thought this hobbit was a threat, she wanted to know.

Peony turned her chair toward Gaffer Hugo and Brown's table. "Do you really suspect him of being a hobbit that's gone bad?" Peony glanced at the stranger again. She didn't see any real sign of trouble in him. "I can't believe he'd be trying to harm a big group like us."

Last edited by Kitanna; 04-29-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #80
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sitting down to breakfast, Mira felt much more tired then she would ever admit to anybody. Walking all day wasn't a usual pastime with her, but she knew that she was strong enough to get over it, but it might take a few days. She was feeling very talkative, since she was tired, so she listened into the 'mens' talk. Mira had already noticed the stranger in the inn, but she didn't think anything wrong about it.

When Bunny tripper over her foot, Mira blushed for her. She went even redder when Rudy started laughing. Well, she thought, at least he's in a good mood, but that doesn't give him a right to laugh at the poor dear. She noticed however, his speech to Bunny, and could tell from experience that he was apoligetic for laughing.

She watched thoughtfully as Rudy addressed the stranger, and dearly hoped that no one had been right in thinking him dangerous.