The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-02-2001, 01:01 PM   #1
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin
Haunting Spirit

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Shield Who/What was Tom Bombadil

Who/What was Tom Bombadil
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 02:34 PM   #2
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

An enigma.
Old 12-02-2001, 02:47 PM   #3
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Everything you ever wanted to know about Bombadil is right here: http://www.barrowdowns.com/Themes_Bombadil.asp
Old 12-02-2001, 03:30 PM   #4
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Except that the links are still to the old board. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 04:48 PM   #5
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

At least they still exist... Phew.
Old 12-15-2001, 02:14 PM   #6
Colubra

Eye

It is debated widely over countless boards that Tom was a manifestation of England, a Vala, the spirit of the earth, or even a hobbit. And the list goes on. And of course no one will ever agree, but some thing I read in Letters, was that even Tolkien didn't know who Tom was. He said, 'Tom is Tom,' and he went on to say that it was a mystery and that was the beauty of it all, but I don't have the exact quote.

Colubra
Old 12-22-2001, 06:58 PM   #7
Dáin Ironfoot
Animated Skeleton

Dáin Ironfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

From what i have read and heard, I think he is a maia, one of the people of the Valar.
Old 12-22-2001, 07:54 PM   #8
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

Tom isn't Tolkien's only enigma. For example, Gandalf tells us that there were evil things in the deep places beneath the mountains that were older than Sauron! Stir up any curiosity? Well, sorry, he doesn't elaborate. They remain enigmatic.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 09:16 PM   #9
Dáin Ironfoot
Animated Skeleton

Dáin Ironfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes! Ive allways wondered about "the nameless and shapeless things beneath the mountains". I think they were made by Morgoth, who else, or they were flaws in the song of the Ainur, or maybe something like ungoliant, maybe something that descended from the void? I bet the dwarves would have found them sooner or later if the balrog hadnt caused so much trouble.
Old 12-24-2001, 02:50 AM   #10
Heretic

Sting

If memory serves me correctly, Gandalf was talking about the Balrog, so there is one of those evil things.

Quote:
Originally posted by obloquy:
<STRONG>Tom isn't Tolkien's only enigma. For example, Gandalf tells us that there were evil things in the deep places beneath the mountains that were older than Sauron! Stir up any curiosity? Well, sorry, he doesn't elaborate. They remain enigmatic.</STRONG>
Old 12-25-2001, 07:01 PM   #11
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Here's the exact quote:
Quote:
'We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched me, and ever I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels. They were not made by Durin's folk, Gimli son of Glóin. Far, far below the deepest delving of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day. In that despair my enemy was my only hope, and I pursued him, clutching at his heel. Thus he brought me back at last to the secret ways of Khazad-dûm: too well he knew them all. Ever up now we went, until we came to the Endless Stair.'
I don't think he was speaking of the Balrog.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:27 AM   #12
Gollumm
Pile O'Bones

Gollumm has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If people have read The Letters, they know better the answer is "Tom is Tom", and Tom is not a Vala, nor Maia.

I do not understand why some people would wanna say "I think...", then give buncha quotes that would mislead newbies to wrong answers.

Tom is just Tom. Dont ask too much. That is not fun.
Gollumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 09:18 PM   #13
Evil Anya
Animated Skeleton

Evil Anya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Evil Anya
Sting

I know a lot of people who think that Tom is a maia or the spirit of England and I've even heard someone theorize that Tom was the incarnation of Tolkien in Middle Earth. "Tom is Tom" is the idea I like best, it makes the most sense to me.
Evil Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 10:18 PM   #14
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

That's probably because it's the only one of the opinions you mentioned that has any textual support. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I agree with you.
Old 12-28-2001, 02:27 PM   #15
Evil Anya
Animated Skeleton

Evil Anya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Evil Anya
Sting

Indeed, sometimes the most obvious answer is the right one. Occam's razor and all that.
Evil Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 04:13 PM   #16
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Question

Who's Tom Bombadil? He wasn't in the Movie. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2001, 07:25 PM   #17
Luineglin
Haunting Spirit

Luineglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tom is Tom he was the first as he will be the last that is all u need to know for that is all we know and the best answer is mostly the simplesest so dont ask why or how it just is as he just is
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Bilbo Baggins Describing Aragorn Son of Arathorn Heir of Elendil,Elessar-Elfstone of his people
Luineglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 09:53 PM   #18
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Mithadan:
<STRONG>Who's Tom Bombadil? He wasn't in the Movie. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Only because Peter Jackson wouldn't do anything more than a cameo!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

If he was the first, then wouln't he have been Eru himself?
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 12:19 PM   #19
Luineglin
Haunting Spirit

Sting

he was first in middle-earth not first over all he has existed since the world has
Bilbo Baggins Describing Aragorn Son of Arathorn Heir of Elendil,Elessar-Elfstone of his people
Old 01-01-2002, 06:31 PM   #20
Zippo
Animated Skeleton

Zippo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Zippo
Pipe

Tom's Character was based on a doll that one of his childern played with. I cant remember where i heard that.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:06 PM   #21
sk8er74t

Silmaril

Tom Bombadil was the first in middle earth, not the first in creation. he might be an elf. the only problem is elves weren't created when he was. he takes the description of a dwarf or maybe a hobbit. but we know that he wasn't either of those. so we have to conclude that he was a screw up. he was probably the first elf ever made, and Eru didn't like him, so he discarded him. Tom probably went off into the forest, found a nice place to live, and never grew older, (much like the elves). he didn't here of any other life until he ran into it in his own forest. when he found the being he was surprised and realized he wasn't alone, and adapted. time is endless for Tom, and he is probably as powerful as the Valor. This is why he was a screw up, the Valor didn't want a race of super beings, so the said something like "let him go and live on his own," and thats what he did.
Old 01-06-2002, 07:08 PM   #22
Luineglin
Haunting Spirit

Sting

okay may i ask where u found this out? just courious.
Old 01-06-2002, 07:10 PM   #23
Luineglin
Haunting Spirit

Sting

okay may i ask where u found this out? just courious.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:31 PM   #24
orc999

Pipe

tom is a miar very much like gandalf. he owns one of the rings and is very powerful. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2002, 09:37 PM   #25
orc999

Sting

read one of the books methadan. and i don't want you to ask who was tom bombadel again
Old 01-08-2002, 09:40 PM   #26
orc999

Sting

sorry i spelled maiar wrong. MY BAD!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2002, 10:01 PM   #27
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
tom is a miar very much like gandalf. he owns one of the rings and is very powerful.
I didnt know Tom had a ring, what kind was it, what was its power. It seems that he wasnt very interested in The Master Ring when Frodo was there. And it seemed that the ring had no power over him, when he put it on, or even the desire to have it. I think he actually laughed at it! It seems to me that Tom didnt really need a ring, all he had to do was sing a little song to get the job done.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:09 PM   #28
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by orc999:
<STRONG>read one of the books methadan. and i don't want you to ask who was tom bombadel again</STRONG>
Bombadil owns no Ring,That isn't in any of Tolkiens books, nor the Histories of Middle Earth. And Mithadan is a well respected, and very knowledgable member/leader round here.
[img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2002, 07:57 AM   #29
Kin-strife
Haunting Spirit

Kin-strife has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dont' get upset Elrian. Orc999 obviously didn't realise that Mithadans post was sarcastic. I myself found the post irritating until I looked up to see Mithadans name, than I cracked up right in the middle of the computer room in college. It was very embarrasing and I'd thank you not to ensnare me like that again Mithadan. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2002, 09:02 AM   #30
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Elrian - Thanks for defending my "honor". [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Kin-strife - Whoops. Sorry. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Bombadil theories I have heard, Tom is:

1. An enigma (JRRT says this himself, but in an early draft in HoME, Tom is described as an "aborigine" - check the definition for additional cannon-fodder for arguments).

2. A Maia (if LoTR and the Sil. must be internally consistent, this is the only theory that really works).

3. Iluvatar (sorry, JRRT in Letters expressly says Iluvatar has never physically entered Arda).

4. Aule (the smith of the Valar now wanders in the woods singing nonsense songs and picking lilies? Not!).

5. Beren (there's some visceral appeal to this one, but Beren was mortal).

6. The embodied spirit of Arda/or of the Imperishable Fire (hard to disprove but not really consistent with the mythos).

7. The spirit of "unfallen" man (assumes a "fall" resulted in man's mortality which is likely not consistent with the mythos).

8. A repentant Witch-King (see the Tolkien Sarcasm page).

9. The spirit of the English countryside.

Theories I've not seen discussed, Tom is: one of the original firstborn Elves; Maglor; the real "Shepard of the Trees"; Peter Pan; Jim Morrison.

Tom REALLY is a doll which was the favorite toy of one of JRRT's kids, the subject of various bedtime tales, which he decided to work into the story.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:32 PM   #31
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

Mithadan, when I first read your post, I thought you was a newbie that just had found this place because you had seen the movie, or something, but then I realised your membernumber was very low, so I guessed you was being sarcastic.. ^_^ I have no clue what Tom is (duh) and I will not even pick a guess.. the first elf theory sounds quite interesting, but I don't really think it could be right, because the elves first awoke at the same time as the stars where made, right? Oh well, ignore me.. I'm just an Animated Skeleton..
Old 01-09-2002, 02:08 PM   #32
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

Now all you need to do, Mith, is disprove everything that can be and then we will have some real good theories. I am intrigued about this Jim Morrison theory, tell me more [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 08:03 PM   #33
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

I know Tolkien says he is an enigma. What he really means is "I'll let you find out for yourselves!". You know Tolkien purposely left some things unexplained. Very good idea if you ask me.

I have always thought that Tom was kindof like the enbodiment of Arda. When Eru made Ea, he sent the 'Imperishable Flame'. What I think is that when he did that, Tom was made. Good old Tom who knows the earths pains and joy. Quite a weird old man, but Tom is one of my favorite characters. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The only thing I dont know is if the Valar ever saw him. You would think in the time uncounted during which the Valar made the lands and waters and everything, they would have noticed a small person hopping along with a blue feather in his hat singing Merry Dol Merry Dee Good day to the Valar! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I am being silly, but that is really what I Think.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:59 PM   #34
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Shield

I was more stunned than upset when I seen that post about Mithadan, I'd read his fan fiction long before I'd joined the board, I found it unbelievable anyone would say something like that. And your welcome Mithadan! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Those are some interesing speculations on who else Bombadil could be:
Quote:
Theories I've not seen discussed, Tom is: one of the original firstborn Elves; Maglor; the real "Shepard of the Trees"; Peter Pan; Jim Morrison.
A young Santa Claus or maybe Jimmy Hoffa too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2002, 02:20 AM   #35
Telgaladiel
Pile O'Bones

Telgaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Telgaladiel
Silmaril

* as she stares at the discussion, trying to take it all in, her eyes begin to take on a glazed look*

Oh dear, oh dear oh dear oh dear.... my head hurts. I have so much to read, so much to read... All the mythos and everything else.

Erm, my current vote (until I read everything) is that Tom is Tom, used for JRRT's own pleasure for putting in personals in his novel.

Now, let me finish reading everything, and then I'll come back and see what else there is...

oh...my head...

"I don't think so."
Telgaladiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 09:27 AM   #36
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

I think that Tom Bombadil is included (in LoTR at least) to provide some light relief and a short rest for Frodo et al, not to mention the reader. This would explain why he disappears, apart from a necessary mention at the Council of Elrond, after they leave the Barrow Downs.
As such, there's not really much need to explain a great deal about him; in fact the enigma makes him more compelling than he would be if we knew the whole story. I do wish he'd associated a name with that brooch, though...

My question would be: Do we really want to pin Bombadil down? Surely he's more interesting as an enigma and there is a saying that we lessen what we define.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh; 06-13-2004 at 03:09 PM.
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 12:03 AM   #37
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Question

Bombadil disappears? That's not in my book. Is this in the new revised edition?
Old 01-11-2002, 12:45 AM   #38
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
I agree with the Squatter's second paragraph...and we will continue debating this subject because any "sensible" opinion cannot really be proven wrong, can it??
*tho anyone suggesting that Tom is Michael Jackson WILL be shot down*
and all because Tom's an enigma
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 02:13 AM   #39
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

1420!

Also I doubt you would catch MJ in a outfit like Bombadils with a feather in his cap! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Besides it has already been cleared up Bombadil was a doll [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2002, 02:46 AM   #40
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elrian would you put anything past him???
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote