The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-02-2003, 09:47 PM   #1
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Are you an ubergeek- Very Funny

Are you an abundant or "over" geek? Well, then you just might fit the profile of the classic übergeek; passionate about technology, penetrating in intellect, and intricately curious about Life, the Universe and Everything. Ubergeeks know the answer to everything is 42, that anger leads to the dark side, and that there is only one ring to rule them all and in the darkness bind them.

If so, you belong here.

There's quite a bit of Tolkien paraphernalia including a sticker that reads, "Do not meddle in the affairs of hackers, for they are subtle and quick to anger." [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Hehe.

It's definitely worth checking out.

Any thoughts, opinions or amusing products you'd like to share are welcome here.

[ July 03, 2003: Message edited by: Olorin ]
Old 07-03-2003, 01:33 AM   #2
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Nope, i can say that i am a dumb blonde who goes surfing... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I dont even know how all of my computer works... But I do like Tolkien, and a lot of historical stuff.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 02:09 AM   #3
purplefluffychainsaw
Wight

purplefluffychainsaw has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to purplefluffychainsaw
Tolkien

**Coughs** Me? Geek? Why do you ask? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Nay, I am not a geek... Acctually, maybe I am. I'd better go check out that link then... Hang on, there's a song about this... I'll go find it.

It's Great to be a nerd by the arrogant worms. Don't ask me how it goes - I only know one line. Do a serch for it or something. It mentions Tolkien, that's how I know about it.

[ July 03, 2003: Message edited by: purplefluffychainsaw ]
Old 07-03-2003, 09:19 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Geek? My own parents call me a geek. All I do is live in a dream world of elves, dragons, and heroic princes and princesses. They hid the internet wire, but they don't realise I know where it is, which is why I'm sneaking on here now, while nobody else is in. Can't keep a good geek down [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2003, 02:38 PM   #5
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I saw this website earlier, and it has some very cool stuff. Though I truthfully have to tell you that I don't think I reach geek level because I personally don't know about all the computer things.
I may not be a computer geek, but I am certainly a Tolkien geek!
Old 07-03-2003, 02:43 PM   #6
Gamja
Haunting Spirit

Gamja has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gamja
Sting

O! it is wonderful to have the intelligence of a nerd, but it is tyrannous to use it like a nerd.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] that's a bit of a wordplay on shakespear's "measure for measure".
Old 07-03-2003, 03:19 PM   #7
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is kinda off subject, but it explains alot.

My friends and I were watching MI and we got on the subject of hackers and the geek world, and somehow, the discussion centered on me. I don't understand...
Maybe it's because I spend more time reading and tooling about on the internet than eating or sleeping. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I dunno.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:00 PM   #8
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Oh, Meela...I know how you feel. My parents were tired of me staying up later than four a.m. so they set the Internet settings so that I am automatically kicked off at midnight. Sigh. They just don't understand...

There's another word that means something similar to "ubergeek." Let me see, what was it now? Oh, yes. Otaku. It's Japanese (which makes it the only word in that language I know...) and means "Someone who is frighteningly obsessed with something." Heh, heh, heh. That's me, all right.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 05:54 PM   #9
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tolkien Otaku. That's me. Well, I am certainly a LotR geek, and my class thinks I am uber-smart. Which really annoys me. Grr.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 05:03 PM   #10
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Interesting site. However, I'm too afraid of most gadgets to be considered an übergeek. I do, however, overuse the word "über" in standard conversation, sadly.

I didn't get to finish taking it, but you can always take the Geek Quiz to see if you're a geek or not!
Old 07-04-2003, 05:22 PM   #11
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, according to Vanima's link, I am only a poser. I don't know if that's good or bad, but geeks are...cool...I guess. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 07-05-2003, 01:12 AM   #12
Aredhel Idril Telcontar
Wight

Aredhel Idril Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Major geek. Go me! Yep, everyone I know thinks I'm a geek, a nerd, a teacher's pet etc. etc. etc.
When people call me a geek, I thank them. My friends call me Tokien geek. So do my parents and relatives. Yay!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2003, 01:24 AM   #13
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I took this Geek quiz and it said that I was a geek. On another Geek test (I think it was the geek purity test or something like that) I got points taken away for having Windows as my operating system [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] (the reason I have a lack of brand spankin new technological gadgets is because my parents are too cheap and I am too lazy to go out and get a job).

But I am definitely going to have to get that ubergeek sticker for my car. I absolutely love that.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:24 AM   #14
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Yup, I'm a geek. I always knew it. I've been one from birth.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 10:49 AM   #15
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Ya know, it's kind of scary how many of those I checked. Of course the whole +5 hobbits and such was a given... Very funny geek test though. Of course, when I called my brother an uberdork the other day (joking of course... it would scare me if I started using 'uber' seriously!) he told me I was a geek... And I had a Star Trek arguement with Keeper of Dol Goldur (v. big geek) only yesterday... Ha. Guess I'm a Total Geek, but I already knew that!

Fea
Old 07-05-2003, 02:51 PM   #16
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I finally took the test and got a 10.65089%, meaning that I, apparently, have "Geekish Tendencies". I'm not sure I'd have anywhere to put an ubergeek sticker, as I don't have a car yet (ah, the joys of being 16). I'll keep my eye on the site and see if there's anything interesting for when I'm old enough to order stuff by myself online and have my own credit card (two years, I suppose).
Old 07-05-2003, 03:07 PM   #17
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I got 50 something %. I'm a super geek.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:14 PM   #18
Kates Frodo Temp
Wight

Kates Frodo Temp has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

You guys gotta hear this! It's weird to the point of insanity! This morning, I get on my friends website and take the geek test which she has a link for.

Actually, I'd taken it before, but it was after midnight and I wasn't thinking clearly and got "geekish tendencies". I though I'd score lower in the morning, but I got "geek".

Anyway, I take the test, and visit, like, 10 links for geeky stuff. Very cool! Then I visit BD for a break, check out this discussion, and it's THE SAME TEST. Wild, huh?

If wanting to know Spanish, Norwegian, French, Italian, Japanese, Quenya, Tengwar, and Sindarin, being in the process of writing my own language for a fantasy novel that's based on the fact that fairy tales are actually ancient history (no, I heard about The Dark is Rising Sequence AFTER I started the book,) playing gameboy for 3 hours (10pm-1am,) and writing out my posts for an RPG at an amusement park while my cousins were riding a roller coaster make me geeky, I'm lovin' it!

~Ainemetion/Aietmen~

Sign my lighter, Meela?
Kates Frodo Temp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 07:42 PM   #19
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Sting

I'm a major geek and proud!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

So says the test, anyway. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

EDIT: Yay! My 100th post! Hehe. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ July 05, 2003: Message edited by: Olorin ]
Old 07-07-2003, 02:20 AM   #20
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

woah, i got 3.9 something something percent... hehehe, oh dear, i had no idea what hardly any of that stuff was!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 02:25 AM   #21
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

I currently own 1/2 of the ThinkGeek shirt collection, as well as 25 entries on the fortunes page.

I love that site, I'm obviously an ubergeek.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:30 PM   #22
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I am a Tolkien geek. No question. Tolgeek! Hey, I made up a word!
My LotR loving sister hits me every time I mention LotR! Luckily she got in trouble for it. Hee, hee, hee... That's why I'm glad that I didn't say that the beds in this camper I saw at Bass Pro shop would have only fit a hobbit. I did NOT want her to punch me in front of my beautiful, tall, elven, Mirkwood prince (my one true love).

Aye, that I am a Tolgeek! *sigh*
Old 07-09-2003, 04:48 AM   #23
Ascalótëion

Pipe

Major geek. Go me!
Old 07-09-2003, 02:47 PM   #24
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I got 35.10848% - Major Geek! Yeah! I'm a Major Geek! (I always knew it anyway). I loved the Tolkien questions, of course I checked the boxes for all of those! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote