The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-16-2003, 01:10 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril **RotK - Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen)**

What's your opinion on Mortensen's acting and the role of Aragorn?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:30 AM   #2
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Silmaril

Mortenson blew me away, and I have no complaints on the role either, although it was quite "adjusted". I thought the adjustments worked well. Mortenson was just awesome. I started out generally unimpressed with Mortenson two years ago. But this was magnificent.<p>[ 6:24 AM December 17, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 12-17-2003, 05:15 AM   #3
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He was pretty hot I think.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:30 AM   #4
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

So, if they'd put a little more eyeliner on him you'd have found him completely irresistable?
Old 12-17-2003, 05:46 AM   #5
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, but as long as he's a top I don't think that matters so much.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:39 PM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

He was real good. Even if his entrance to the Pellenor fields was barely noticeable.<P>And that kiss with Arwen, well....I wasn't prepared for that! Little too 'Hollywood' methinks.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:38 PM   #7
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

He gave a totally awesome preformance, I loved it!!! He was just as I imagined Aragorn to be. I just wish they hadn't cut so much out so we could see more of that wonderful acting!! <BR>btw he is so hot!!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 04:27 PM   #8
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

His character wasn't developed enough. I didn't quite get it in RotK. <BR>Viggo Mortensen isn't near handsome enough either, IMO.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:41 AM   #9
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I can't think of anyone who could have done a better job with the part. Viggo was wonderful!! He did so good as Aragorn! I loved his speech before the black gate, and the way he rode out into the orcs there. I loved it so much!! And I for one loved the part where he met Arwen again... the fact that I'm a hopeless romantic could have something to do with that...
Old 12-18-2003, 07:51 AM   #10
Linteamarthwen
Pile O'Bones

Linteamarthwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

From the frist movie, I knew Viggo was someone special. I could have never dreamed such a great performance, but I knew he had it in him. I guess I fall for the more manly, swordweilding type, but I thought he was intirerly awesome and most everything he said made me wanna cry with excitment! Viggo, if you're out there, YOU Rock
Linteamarthwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:21 AM   #11
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Great acting, but he's hardly <I>in</I> Return of the King. Much like Gandalf in TT. Good use of the tounge though with Arwen! Can you blame him?
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 09:45 AM   #12
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Loved seeing Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli disembarking all alone off the Corsair and facing all those orcs, and charging them, all alone. And then the docks turn green...<P>Loved his last comment at the Black Gates ("For Frodo.")<P>(What do you mean, he was hardly in the movie? Did you sleep thru the muster of Rohan, the paths of the Dead, the Corsairs arrival, dismissal of the Dead, the post-Pelennor council, the Black Gate, AND the coronation?)
Old 12-18-2003, 10:46 AM   #13
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I mean what I said. He may have been in quite a few scenes but they were fleeting, and he DID have some of the best lines (ie "For Frodo"). A lot more time seems to have been spent with Gandalf and Pippin. (I'm not dissing them, they were great). <P>Viggo was great in what he WAS in, but it wasn't enough. No Palantir, no houses of healing - two of the key passages of the book that show his strengths. No finding of the sapling of the White Tree. (No wedding, but that doesn't matter to me). <P>He was just an action hero in this film. Still good, and hopefully the EE will add a lot more.<p>[ 11:48 AM December 18, 2003: Message edited by: Essex ]
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:33 AM   #14
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Again, Viggo was wonderful as Aragorn and again he <B>IS</B> the perfect Aragorn!<P>And while I have to say Aragorn cleaned up nicely - give me his rugged Ranger look any day!<P>Still it was wonderful to see him finally as King and I <B>loved</B> the kiss he shared with Arwen at the end!
Old 12-18-2003, 03:09 PM   #15
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Viggo was wonderful but i agree with Essex- the movie is The Return of the King and it seemed to me he was hardly in it at all. or atleast compared to the other two.<P>very excellent performance. quite handsome enough, methinks though i agree with whoever preferred the rugged ranger look.<P>loved his speech outside the black gate: a crying moment
Old 12-18-2003, 05:07 PM   #16
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Viggo was awesome! I liked him from the start and each movie only confirms my like/love for him! He's so great! <P>I also agree that he didn't seem like he was in the movie a whole lot. I saw him a good number of times but not as much as I'd liked to. They seemed to switch very often and for long periods of time (I realize there was much to put in). I do agree he had some of the best lines (Hehe, that's one of my battle calls now "For Frodo!!!!!").<P>All in all; he was great, there would have been no greater. Go Viggo!!!

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:53 PM   #17
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Viggo really brought the character to life, but I agree, his scenes seemed to lack weight. I really want to see him in the Houses of Healing.<P>I really liked his kiss with Arwen. He did more acting in that thirty seconds than he did in the rest of the film. I really believed he had done it all because of his love for her.<P>I also liked "you bow to no one," even though it was cheesy.<P>-Lily
Old 12-19-2003, 12:05 AM   #18
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh the kiss, I loved the kiss, it may have been Hollywood but it was great. It was just because of all the joy he had at the time... Middle Earth had been saved, He became King, he was still alive, and the love of his life had come back. I think anyone would do what he did at that time.<P>Other than that I thought that he was great, continued excellence. Casting Viggo at the last minute was one of the most brilliant things that the filmmakers did. I could not imagine this series of stories without him.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:30 PM   #19
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I agree. I loved that kiss, not because it was a kiss, but because it truly represented everything that Aragorn had been fighting for. He had been fighting for Middle-earth, for his kingdom, and for his lady love, and he had become victorious for all of them. Viggo was an absolutely perfect Aragorn. He was just so convincing, that when he yelled "For Frodo!" and charged at the Orcs (with Merry and Pippin right behind him), I desperately wanted to get up and join in the battle right behind him. Viggo has that natural charisma that is just perfect to play a leader like Aragorn. If there was one person in this world who I would follow until death, it would be Viggo. He is truly a King.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 10:16 PM   #20
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Viggo absolutely blew me away with his portrayal of Aragorn. He is by far one of the best actors of the 21st century.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:05 PM   #21
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Viggo Mortensen is a very good actor. Okay, that is the biggest understatement of the year. But anyway, he was just glorious and splendid beyond words as Aragorn. <P>His "I do not fear death" line at the gate of the path of the dead, with that sudden turn and that swish of cloak and fades into the shadows defines the word "heroism"<P>His speech in front of the Black Gate had so much charisma that even I wished to brandish my sword and fight for him, and die for him. And I am like the biggest coward in the history of mankind. <P>His kiss with Arwen was so passionate (okay maybe a little TOO passionate for Middle-earth), but it was a joy to watch.<P>And his "My friends, you bow to no one" line and his bow to the hobbits defines his virtues.<P>Sooooooo wonderful! However the movie Aragorn is slightly different than the book Aragorn. He is a lot more heroic (charge into the enemy line, alone, as the first one? really, taht's hardly a job for a king.), but less king like (all the book Aragorn's arrogance and confidence are completely gone!). But still, it was the most extraordinary performance.
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:27 PM   #22
King_Elessar
Haunting Spirit

King_Elessar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn was AWESOME!! So hot....!<P>Oh, one thing: the kiss with Arwen at the end, rather freaky! The two of them just standing there looking at each other, then he suddenly lauches himself at her and kisses her! Not very LOTR, I have to say! <P>~King_Elessar~
I see in your eyes, the same fear, that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails. When we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day...we fight!
King_Elessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 05:39 PM   #23
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Sting

I loved him! I thought they did a great job with the whole cast.
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 07:14 PM   #24
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I agree with all of you, Viggo was great as Aragorn! (I liked his portrayal better here than in TTT, where he was so oddly renouncing Arwen and his kingship) <BR>I had been hoping to hear "Et Earello Endorenna utúlien" etc , and when I heard Aragorn sing it, I was blown away! the way Viggo sang it was beautiful and I love his voice. (If I'm not mistaken, he made up the melody himself)
Old 12-22-2003, 07:47 AM   #25
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Viggo did an excellent job and i congragulate him. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I had been hoping to hear "Et Earello Endorenna utúlien" etc , and when I heard Aragorn sing it, I was blown away! the way Viggo sang it was beautiful and I love his voice. (If I'm not mistaken, he made up the melody himself) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Im not sure if he made the melody himself but i agree that it was good. Pippins song i liked just as much aswell. There were a couple of important scenes that he could have been in though, like the houses of healing and maybe making the paths of the dead longer. Overall he played Aragorn very well in my opinion.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:57 PM   #26
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

I thought through FotR and TTT that Viggo Mortensen was just perfect for the role of Aragorn, and this movie just proved it even more, in my opinion. His acting was great.<P>And I liked the kiss as well. I thought it was really sweet, and really did just sum up everything he'd been fighting for.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:13 PM   #27
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Although Viggo was <B>not</B> the Aragorn I knew from the books (shock! horror! fangirl attack! ), this comes mostly from the weakening of many characters by the writers. Viggo knew the movieAragorn better than the bookAragorn and played him accordingly.<P>Now that we have all three movies as a complete whole of the one story (woohoo!!) it is easier to see the development of Aragorn throughout. The more I see the movies, the more I like movieAragorn and Viggo Mortensen. I hope that in the extended edition of ROTK we see more of him. I think it was unfortunate that the score was kind of shouting over top of his stirring speech at the Black Gate. It sounded much better when they were recording it on the stillness of the desert in front of Mt Ngauruhoe, even after a dozen takes.<P>Viggo's song was just perfect. Personally, I thought that the final mix of Pippin's song was made too poppy, and I didn't really care for <I>Gollum's Song</I> or <I>Into the West</I>. But Viggo (and Enya) did an incredible job of holding the audience's attention, when it would have been quite easy to lose many viewers. His voice was perfect, and the song melded seamlessly into the world of Middle-Earth.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:01 PM   #28
Eowyn_Wildfire
Animated Skeleton

Eowyn_Wildfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eowyn_Wildfire
Sting

I LOVED EVERYTHING except<BR>I hated his spech at his corination something like "this day does not belong to just one man...." It just sounded corny comparing it to his "This day we fight" speach. the book line is ever so much better "by the labor and valor of many I have some to my inheritance. In token of this I would have Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head if he will for he has been the mover of all things that have been acomplished, and this is his victory" <P><BR>also The kiss bothered me,It probally doesn'e help I hate how Arwen was played and I had just been pointing out that she looked like a rabbit ....well she does.......yeah
Eowyn_Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 08:11 PM   #29
Alucard

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> If I'm not mistaken, he made up the melody himself <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You are correct. In the liner notes for the soundtrack, Viggo is credited for the melody.<p>[ 9:12 PM December 22, 2003: Message edited by: Alucard ]
Old 12-22-2003, 09:29 PM   #30
Arcuwen
Pile O'Bones

Arcuwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arcuwen
Sting

Viggo is, in my world, the perfect Aragorn. If you have ever heard him talk about doing these movies, you can tell that he tried to become Aragorn inside and out. It really showed on screen. I agree that he isn't as big in ROTK as he should have been, but that's not Viggo's fault.
Arcuwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 03:57 AM   #31
BoromirsBeard
Pile O'Bones

BoromirsBeard has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What Eowyn Wildfire said about his coronation speech. Plus his voice is a little high-pitched to make grand speeches. Maybe that's why I think Viggo works better as Strider than Elessar. He doesn't quite make the transition. But of course that's an interpretation I can respect
BoromirsBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 09:32 PM   #32
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved Aragorn in this movie. We got to see a lot of the transition from ranger to king. I liked him with the dead men, he was a little afraid, but not to much. I liked his speech at the black gate, but I thought it was a little weird to have these flashbacks of Arwen, and then have him say 'for Frodo'. It didn't really seem to add up. What is his real motivation. I liked his song, it was well done. The words he spoke before and after that, just did not do him justice. I wish we got to see more of him rebuilding Gondor though.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:03 AM   #33
Kidd2323
Animated Skeleton

Kidd2323 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I first heard Viggo was going to play Aragorn, I thought it a good choice visually speaking; I could see him taking on the gruff, scraggly Strider character without much difficultly, but I wondered whether or not he could pull off reminding us of the tall and stately, grey-eyed sea-kings of old.<BR>IMHO I found the only time he gave a presence of royalty was when he was lying dead in TTT EE. I have to agree with Essex in saying he seemed not to be regarded with enough reverence--too much an action hero. I suppose had PJ added the Houses of Healing(Kingsfoil!)and Aragorn taking his birth-rite of the Palantir and the banner woven by Arwen, I might have enjoyed Aragorn more. Viggo did an admirable job with what he was given.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:27 PM   #34
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Three words: Viggo Is Aragorn.<P><BR>I've never heard of an actor who put so much of himself into a character. From reading and watching all those interviews with him, I realized what a truly amazing person Viggo is. People like that are really rare. Even though the movie Aragorn wasn't identical to my perception of Aragorn from the books, Viggo seemed to do everything just right, and he brought the audience in along with him. We doubted with him, despaired with him, loved with him, hated with him, and were tempted with him. We felt his love for Arwen, his regret for Eowyn, and his hate for Sauron. We FELT it, and I think that is the mark of a wonderful actor. If anyone deserves an Oscar, it's him. Forget Elijah Wood and Sean Astin. Even though they are truly superb actors, I don't think that they can compare to Viggo at all.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 05:59 PM   #35
symestreem
Face in the Water

symestreem has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, the speech was like a UN- "let's all cooperate and be happy" one-world junk thing. I missed his reunion with the Rangers, and the part with the Evenstar was disjointed. (After reading the "visual guide" twice I still don't get it!) Last gripe: he was too reluctant to be king. But that's not the actor's fault. I think Mr. Mortenson (yeah I'm Victorian) played the part that was written wonderfully. I hope he'll be as good in Hidalgo.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:24 PM   #36
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I really like Viggo as Aragorn. The only thing that bothered me was his talk with Eowyn. He bluntly told her that he didn't love her. In the book he says the same words plus more to Eomer in the houses of healing. Too bad the houses of healing weren't in the movie because I think that is the best time for Aragorn to explain himself.<BR>Other than that I loved Aragorn in all the movies.<BR>The kiss is suprising hough. I wasn't expecting it that fast.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:25 PM   #37
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Three words: Viggo Is Aragorn. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That is so true. After that movie i wanted to be Gondorian! and cheer with the masses Elessar! Elessar!<P>My god, Viggo Mortensen is a phenominal actor, i liked him as strider and I liked him as Elessar. <P>With the whole Aragorn/Arwen thing, he pushed her away becuase he wanted to save her. (makes me think of Moulin Rouge, "Make him believe you dont love him") becuase its true, Arwen did have a chance at a better life in Valinor, but she did love him and we got the best enging! I loved the kiss at the end!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:44 PM   #38
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was not satisfied with the attention given to Aragorn this time out. (Of course, this is just a theatrical release, which makes it fairly unimportant! ) The scene with Aragorn looking into the Palantir and wrestling it from Sauron is one of the most important and thrilling for me. I wanted more time and "heaviness" given to Aragorn, as he becomes "The King". The scene in the Paths of the Dead could have been more dramatic for my taste. I wanted more spine tingles, like I got in Bree when the embers glowed in Strider's pipe. Aragorn seemed more like an action figure than the pedigreed, long awaited and suffering Ranger/king. There seemed to be so much more of a sense of "Destiny" from the books....I like that! <BR>I wanted the bit where Aragorn sits in the Steward's chair and puts Frodo and Sam on the throne to be included. (isn't that how it went in the book?) I was annoyed that Merry and Pippen were put on equal status with Frodo and Sam!<p>[ 10:45 PM December 28, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 01-09-2004, 10:53 AM   #39
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

I agree with BoromirsBeard (lol, erm, nice name, that ) about Viggo's voice being too high pitched to make for grand speeches. Also, kill me if you will, but I didn't think much for his speech in front of the Black Gate, I mean, that sort of speech wouldn't have convinced me to give it all. It was faintly cheesy. (Braveheart's Wallace remains for me the ultimate charismatic spokesman). <P>Despite that, I think Viggo was, well, Viggo, in all his talent and charm. I can't say he was Aragorn. He was too reluctant and too dependent on others to be BookAragorn, but he treated us with an exquisite performance throughout the movies (not just ROTK, where I feel he was given too little screen time, and I see I'm not the only one). I am looking forward to the Houses of Healing scene!
Old 01-09-2004, 02:53 PM   #40
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Mortensen is a brilliant actor. He seems absolutely suited to the role of Aragorn.<P>Besides, he does seem particularly good looking with long hair and a beard!