The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #321
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Last night I had a weird dream that Darth Vader was the head of the Nazgul, of whom there were only two. They could shoot ice out of their hands as will. There was some sort of conspiracy theory I've forgotten, but I was the sort of spy, trying to find out what they were up to and all that. It ended with a grand finale at a train station, with all of us shooting ice at one another.

I also had another dream before, which was quite bizarre. I was in the fellowship, but we were all on bikes to get through Moria. Then, Smeagol was with us, but he looked like I R Baboon from I M Weasel. We got lost in Lorien, which was actually run by baboons...
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:56 PM   #322
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Oh gosh I had this dream the other night that I met the guys that played the four hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) and I held them captive then made them sign my LOTR books... Weird
Old 05-02-2008, 05:08 AM   #323
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I had a rather vivid and extraordinary dream. In it, I saw a clip of the Hobbit movie and it was horrible. It was the Rivendell scene and some traveling bits. I think Elijah Wood was playing Bilbo. Hugo Weaving was Elrond and he had some very stupid lines, I wish I could remember them. But the dwarves were the worst. Only about a third of them had beards and they were stupid and had a very poor sense of humour. They looked like wrestlers and their lines included jokes that referred to celebrities of our time & world. One of them might have been joking about Paris Hilton and one definitely said something about Patrick Wolf. All in all, it was disastrous.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:49 AM   #324
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Sounds much like a dream I could have
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #325
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Sounds much like a dream I could have
It sounds like the future (or what could have been the future wasn't Del Toro isn't directing it).

Last edited by Eönwë; 05-02-2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: bet he? I meant be the
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:10 AM   #326
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I feel almost dirty and wish to never sleep again after my dream last night. It has been a very long time since I was graced with a LOTR dream, most of my dreams have involved Jurassic Park and my inability to stay away from that blasted Isla Nublar, but when my LOTR dreams come back they come back with a vengeance.

But to the dream itself. A viking Grima Wormtongue was determined to get the Ring away from Frodo and Sam (the Ring being in Sam's keeping at the time). So, Grima sets off into Mordor to find these wayward Hobbits. He manages to capture Sam and proceeds to seduce him. Clearly Sam's love for Rosie Cotton was not enough to save him from that stud Grima. As Grima is getting ready to take the Ring from the now willing Sam, Frodo, in a manly sort of way, jumps down and snatches the Ring away before Grima can get it. And then in an even more manly way he prances away with Sam chasing him crying, "He's really not that evil Mr. Frodo."

Meanwhile I am trying to help Peter Jackson make a better LOTR movie. In doing so I take away his budgeting and refuse to let him use CGI. Then he shows me the non-CGI of Shelob, who looks like a black muppet. And somehow a Jim Henson spider muppet seems like a better idea than a more realistic looking CGI spider.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #327
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I understand Sam, it can be hard to withstand that viking charm.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #328
Babidi Buu
Wight

Babidi Buu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Babidi Buu
I've had dreams of LOTR mixed with other things(Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry potter and/or Star Wars) But here are some of the Main ones..

I had a dream that i was marching with the armies of Mordor against minas tirith, Exploring the caves of moria and had a cold when going to angmar.
Babidi Buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:39 PM   #329
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
God I had a really strange dream about lotr last night and I've hardly though about the books in ages.

On the quest to destroy the ring was me Frodo and Gil-galad (the elf king)

When we reached Rivendell, I met up with Gil-Galad on a boardwalk populated with suspiciously human looking characters. Gil-Galad was smoking a cigarette and looked really annoyed. He told me he didn't want to do the quest as it was pointless. I told him that his love 'Arafel' would be in Minas Tirith and if he goes on the quest he'd see her.

Cue quest involving me shooting zombies with a shotgun. And a strange interlude where I meet my mum and I'm about to tell the reason Gil-Galad is on the quest., when my brother walks in the room. I change the subject so to hide the controversy about Gil-galad's reasoning.

We then reach Minas Tirith and meet Arafel who tells Gil-galad that his heart is too enamoured with the quest and there's no room in it for her.

Gil-galad looks really angry and then I wake up so I never found out what he was going to say.

Bit of a bizarre dream and I'm not sure where the name Arafel came from.

Last edited by Elmo; 08-30-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #330
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Dark-Eye The Adventures of Sauron the Seductress

(I warn you, this is weird)

Sometime ago, I had a dream I was Sauron and who was going to the conference of gods. But Sauron was not quite how we tend to imagine him - he was a very good-looking young woman, elegantly yet perfectly officially dressed with a wide-brimmed hat with black lace and dark red lipstick.

In she strode to the meeting hall, it was some sort of auditorium. She was, fashionably, a bit late. An old and venerable archangel was reading the list of the participants, doing a roll call and giving each god the number of their seat.

Saruman - who had the air and looks of a kind, geeky guy - was sitting on the seat row nearest to the door. Miss Sauron stopped to talk with her old friend for a moment. They exchanged greetings and started gossiping. Alatar and Pallando were not present in the meeting, although it was an important one. "They went for a holiday down south together, you know," Saruman told Sauron, giving her a meaningful look. "Together? I see," Sauron said, with an equally meaningful tone and a wicked grin on her face.

They continued joking for a short while until Sauron realised the roll call had ended and she hadn't been paying any attention. She headed to the front of the auditorium where the old archangel was standing. Her high heels made clicking sounds as she ascended the stairs on the side of the auditorium.

"Excuse me, I didn't hear my name," she said to the venerable crone. He turned to her slowly. "What is your name?" he asked. "Sauron," she said, brushing a lock of red hair from her face. "Your seat is 136, in the front row, next to Zeus." "Thank you."

Sauron found her place next to the half-naked Greek supreme god with white beard. "Hello," she said, sitting down. "Hi there," said Zeus. The dirty old god - as anyone familiar with Greek myths can guess - was eyeing the beautiful Sauron rather appraisingly. They started talking in whispers although the old archangel was talking and everybody else was listening to him with veneration. Zeus started boasting to Sauron of his great strength and she was playing along because of her own reasons. She even bowed down to feel his leg muscles. "You must be as strong as Hercules," she exclaimed quielty and he gave her a pleased grin.

What happened next, I cannot tell, for my dream unfortunately ended. I would have very much liked to see more of the adventures of this babe called Sauron! This dream got my imagination running, though, and it is quite interesting if you compare it to Sauron taking the pleasant form of Annatar...
Old 02-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #331
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Lommy, all I can say to that is:

o.O

That's the craziest dream I've ever heard in my life. I like it.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #332
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
(I warn you, this is weird)
Thanks for the warning. Though, of course, we expect no less.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #333
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Haha thanks guys. I tend to have long and weird dreams every now and then, it is kind of disturbing but definitely cool. It's good we have threads where I can recount them.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #334
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I had a dream I was a dwarf scout on a small and secret expedition to Moria. I knew there was a balrog and I was afraid, but we all had firm faith in retaking Khazad-dűm. There were monsters: orcs and giant spiders, but we managed to avoid them all and spent a night in the mines before going back to report to our leaders. Visually, the dream was stunning.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #335
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I woke up this morning after 6-ish hours of sleep to my alarm going off. My dream ended mid-sentence when I drifted to awakeness.

I had been explaining to somebody completely seriously that dwarves don't procreate the way humans and elves do, but from beginning to end through their anus.

I am sorry, confused, and very amused.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #336
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
I dreamed that I missed the school bus, rode Shadowfax to school, and arrived in Science class only to have my teacher turn into a Balrog. I then woke up and remembered that I had graduated earlier this month...
Old 08-19-2014, 03:55 AM   #337
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
This is The Hobbit dream, to be precise, or what's more unusual, a dream about The Hobbit film.

I was in a cinema - a 3D-cinema no less - watching the third part of The Hobbit, which nonetheless was probably something that should have happened in the second part - and it was the part when Bilbo enters the Mountain to spy on Smaug. He walked down some staircase in almost total darkness and then there was a man who looked like something between bearded Wormtongue and Andy Serkiss. It was Smaug in his human form! Yes, Smaug could shapeshift into a human form if he wanted. But he was blind and could rely only on his sense of smell, hearing or feeling somebody's steps resonating through the floor.

He started searching for Bilbo in the darkness, reaching out with his hands, and it was actually pretty creepy. I thought "wow, they did this well" and then Smaug stopped just about a meter in front of Bilbo, who probably had realised that Smaug couldn't see him, and stopped moving and breathing. I was thinking "that's well done, but doesn't Smaug anyway remember the last point where he had heard Bilbo from? Wouldn't he continue in that direction anyway?" Then Smaug (who had his back turned to the camera) started turning around. I thought "okay, they probably made it so that he suddenly hears some movement from the other side, otherwise why would he turn to the completely opposite direction?" Then he looked straight into the camera and it struck me: He turned because he senses movement - me! Or, the audience, anyway. Of course the audience moves, I reflected, brilliant trick from the filmmakers, since other people were no doubt wondering about the same thing I did, why would Smaug turn, and now it has been explained - he heard or sensed them!

It was rather scary when Smaug started creeping towards the camera, but then obviously the audience stopped moving and so he eventually would move back towards Bilbo, who however meanwhile had time to think about what to do next. I thought that was pretty inventive, to make the audience part of the movie and at the same time solve the problem of giving Bilbo a bit of respite from Smaug so he could get out of the tight situation. Not bad, I'd say. I think there wasn't anything much more in that dream, however.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 10-27-2014, 05:40 AM   #338
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I had a dream tonight, evidently in light of the recent threads up in the Books forum, that Theodred returned to life (either actually, or as a ghost, I wasn't sure). He appeared before Eomer, and Eomer said something very Shakespearian-sounding, like "your face doth look familiar to me". Theodred was disappointed at Eomer's face recognition skills. He then told Eomer that the country has the potential to prosper, and yet it just barely chugs on. He showed Eomer some mine, I think, and how much whatever they were mining for there was compared to how much they actually got out of it. Then, leaving Eomer to work with the mining industry, he got himself a chariot drawn by two horses and rose to a different place, probably the border. There were two guards. He told them he's going to lift this country up, and gave them each a few orders. Then he said he was going to the next thing he wants to improve in Rohan, and left them the chariot ("and those no-good horses!") because they were too slow. But the guards figured that this chariot was a very recent design, made after Theodred's death, so he just probably didn't know how to attach the harnesses properly. When they examined it, sure, as soon as they got a piece to click in place the horses whisked away, chariot and all.

And in the end it came down to Eomer and Theodred debating the nature of the non-covalent attraction between chocolate pudding and a metal spoon.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #339
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
And in the end it came down to Eomer and Theodred debating the nature of the non-covalent attraction between chocolate pudding and a metal spoon.
What the hell was going on in my subconscious that night???

Anyways, have a new dream to report. Eomer (again) was walking with Aragorn. Aragorn was explaining how Rohan got corrupted. Eomer wanted to know the name of the evildoer who did this to his country, but Aragorn would not say. His elusive answers kept riling Eomer up. Finally, Aragorn dramatically revealed the name Saruman. "Saruman!" exclaimed Eomer, "But I have met him before! That was the name of an old servant of a lord who was passing by. He must have posed that way to trick us! He is not a servant at all then!"

Judging by this entry and the last one, my subconscience thinks Eomer is not a very bright lad.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:46 AM   #340
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Gal. It's wild.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:15 AM   #341
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Shield

Time to resurrect this thread once again!

I had a dream about the upcoming War of the Rohirrim film. It was aired on TV and myself, Lommy, and several other 'Downers were watching it (I at least recall Boro and Oddwen).

First thing, it actually was not anime, it was live-action, even though somewhat strange. Somebody explained that the anime was scheduled to come in a year, but this was a sort of first-stage version of it, that they first did it with live actors and then they will just "draw over" them and make the anime. When asked why would the film company do that, the conclusion was that likely they wanted to release as much material as possible while they had the rights to Tolkien's works.

The plot was rather unexpected. It actually took place in the aftermath of Helm Hammerhand's death. The main protagonist was some Hobbit (presumably an adventurous Took) who had travelled to Rohan and stumbled upon Helm Hammerhand's daughter when she was bathing in a small pond in the middle of a forest (Fangorn?).

Now, the problem was that there apparently existed a law in Rohan that if somebody sees the princess naked, he should be sentenced to death. That was what the princess demanded once she realised that the Hobbit had seen her.

Dream logic insert: the Hobbit in question was at the same time sort of Frodo/Merry, and he was played by Daniel Radcliffe. The princess was sort of Éowyn and was played by Miranda Otto, but clearly a younger version of herself (she looked like she was about 16).

This is to also explain what happened next: Éomer appeared and tried to both placate his sister and also to explain to the Hobbit that this was just how their law worked and told him to simply cooperate. He was very much trying to mediate, but maintained that the law had to be respected. He showed the Hobbit some old parchment where the law was recorded.

The Hobbit read, in what I understood was to be some old Anglo-Saxon language, something that sounded like: "...arfhaed matté wytha."

"Does it mean you are going to boil me alive in hot tea-water?" the Hobbit asked, clearly not having understood a single word.
"Why would you think that?" Éomer asked, confused.
"Well, here it says 'maté'."

Then Éomer and Théoden (who had also appeared from somewhere) proceeded to explain that the only way for the Hobbit to save his life was to fulfil three tasks prescribed by the law. If he manages to do them faster than the Princess, he shall be exonerated.

I don't remember all of the tasks. The second one was a ploughing contest. There was a small plot of land (maybe 10x10 m), the Hobbit and the Princess were each given a plough and using them, they were supposed to unearth some root vegetables that grew there. Frodo/Daniel Radcliffe (I was very conscious of him looking like that at that point) did not seem to be very lucky, the Princess had found maybe four vegetables already while he found none. I thought that this was stupid because clearly the main hero had to survive, so they could not make him lose, but I saw no way he could win. Then he suddenly unearthed a large cluster of the root vegetables at once.

Then the dream shifted for the last time. We were watching it from the outside on some small TV, and the film turned into a trailer of sorts. There was Saruman who looked exactly like Gandalf, and we concluded that this was because in times of old, when he was still 'good', he did look like Gandalf, or at least close enough that people mixed them up.

Then there were several shots of Hobbits as adventurers. Very non-canon. One shot included a Hobbit with tiny fairy-wings, wielding two daggers, twirling them epically in mid-flight and then stabbing them into the back of some tiny fairy dragon that flew ahead of him. We understood that the wings was one of the ways the Hobbit was going to "level up", a special power he was going to acquire.

When I asked about the fairy dragons and the overall fairy-theme, it was explained to me that the owners of the license also owned the license to other fantasy and sci-fi franchises, and that they were going to introduce subtle crossover elements as they were going to place Middle-Earth into the same multiverse as several other fantasy series, but also Transformers, Star Trek and Magic: The Gathering. One of the last things I recall from the trailer was a dramatic view of a massive Transformer towering against the dark sky filled with lightnings, wielding Captain America's shield, and facing it, bravely, a bunch of tiny Hobbits alongside Chandra Nalaar.

The overall feeling I got from the dream was quite unsettling.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:11 PM   #342
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Legate, I get the sense that your dream self just really wants to see Daniel Radcliffe cosplay a hobbit.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #343
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
^This is so many kinds of hilarious, Legate! Also kind of creepy in parts.

Quote:
First thing, it actually was not anime, it was live-action, even though somewhat strange. Somebody explained that the anime was scheduled to come in a year, but this was a sort of first-stage version of it, that they first did it with live actors and then they will just "draw over" them and make the anime.
You probably know that this is exactly how Ralph Bakshi's LotR was made. (Got to admit, when I first read about an animated Tolkien movie being made I got my hopes up that somebody had at last given Bakshi the money to make the second part after 40+ years.)

Quote:
Dream logic insert: the Hobbit in question was at the same time sort of Frodo/Merry, and he was played by Daniel Radcliffe. The princess was sort of Éowyn and was played by Miranda Otto, but clearly a younger version of herself (she looked like she was about 16).
So, er, you actually dreamed about Daniel Radcliffe spying on 16 year old naked Miranda Otto?
Quote:
This is to also explain what happened next: Éomer appeared and tried to both placate his sister and also to explain to the Hobbit that this was just how their law worked and told him to simply cooperate.
This is where Thain Picard starts wracking his head about how to save Wesley Radcliffe-Took without breaking the Prime Directive.

Quote:
The Hobbit read, in what I understood was to be some old Anglo-Saxon language, something that sounded like: "...arfhaed matté wytha."

"Does it mean you are going to boil me alive in hot tea-water?" the Hobbit asked, clearly not having understood a single word.
"Why would you think that?" Éomer asked, confused.
"Well, here it says 'maté'."
I really cracked up here. Have you told that to Aganzir?

Quote:
Then there were several shots of Hobbits as adventurers. Very non-canon. One shot included a Hobbit with tiny fairy-wings, wielding two daggers, twirling them epically in mid-flight and then stabbing them into the back of some tiny fairy dragon that flew ahead of him. We understood that the wings was one of the ways the Hobbit was going to "level up", a special power he was going to acquire.
This is the creepy part. *shudders*

Quote:
The overall feeling I got from the dream was quite unsettling.
I dare say!
Old 06-22-2021, 02:07 AM   #344
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Legate, I get the sense that your dream self just really wants to see Daniel Radcliffe cosplay a hobbit.
To be honest, I think he was doing really well. Especially the ploughing part. A natural talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
You probably know that this is exactly how Ralph Bakshi's LotR was made. (Got to admit, when I first read about an animated Tolkien movie being made I got my hopes up that somebody had at last given Bakshi the money to make the second part after 40+ years.)
I actually didn't remember that, but good point! It is either my subconscious remembering it while my conscious mind didn't, or else it is pure coincidence, as we say in the Shire.

Quote:
So, er, you actually dreamed about Daniel Radcliffe spying on 16 year old naked Miranda Otto?
Well, that is also one way to put it...

Quote:
This is where Thain Picard starts wracking his head about how to save Wesley Radcliffe-Took without breaking the Prime Directive.
This is actually an interesting remark, because I have recently been rewatching just that. But it absolutely did not occur to me that these might have been linked.

Quote:
I really cracked up here. Have you told that to Aganzir?
I didn't, but I hope she's going to read this.

Quote:
This is the creepy part. *shudders*
It's creepy because it's something that could happen somewhere!