The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-31-2002, 01:38 PM   #1
heaven382

Silmaril Elen Sila lumenn omentielvo

Aaye Mellonamin! I am Sariefina Elselandwyn of Elenolos, but you can call me Sarie, or Seraphine. I just joined the community today and I hope to find good friends and nice conversations here.

ANyway, who of you likes Merry and Pippin? I did a character compare and contrast for them and here it is...

Have fun reading!

"Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrine Took, I might have known." These were the words of Gandalf the Grey as he took both hobbits by the ear and punished them for stealing the Smaug Dragon Firework from his carriage, lighting it and scaring the guests at Bilbo Baggin's birthday party. That humorous scene from the movie adaptation of The Lord of the Rings, introduced Merry Brandybuck and Pippin Took as a pair of mischievous trouble- makers. This impression was further emphasized by the scene where they got in trouble by stealing vegetables from the crop of the strict and frugal Farmer Maggot. Some people found this scene endearing and funny, and longed to see more misadventures from Merry and Pippin. Others think that the comedic characters of Merry and Pippin from J.R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings were but a waste of paper and ink; both were insignificant and could be merged into one character. And though it is true that Merry and Pippin are similar in a lot of ways, they are also individuals with unique qualities that make them classic and immortal characters.
Merry and Pippin share a love for practical jokes, mischief and a good laugh that earned them a reputation of bringing trouble wherever they go. But that is not all, both hobbits hail from prominent families from the Shire and are both related to Frodo Baggins. Merry is a paternal cousin of Frodo and Pippin is his cousin from his mother's side. Physically, they also look very alike; both have curly brownish looking hair, round faces and rosy cheeks like all hobbits do. They both proved to be brave and loyal, as they did not let Frodo go out of the Shire alone. Merry and Pippin both changed their carefree ways, matured over time, and became what they admire. The pair didn't only help Frodo in his journey to get the Ring of Doom out of the Shire to Rivendell, they also both pledged their swords in service of the Mighty Kings of Man : Merry to the Great King Theoden and Pippin to the Steward of Gondor, and also played an important part in the rousing of the Ents and the destruction of Isengard. However, though it seems that both hobbits are like two peas in a pod, they have contrasting qualities that set them apart from each other.
Meriadoc Brandybuck is the son of the Master of Buckland that hails from a prominent, respected, long and warlike bloodline. His family is one of the first of the Shire. He is a smart fellow, having good geographical knowledge of the Shire and the lands about it. He is also old enough to have a bit of sense, but not wary enough to run away when he hears about the trouble that Frodo bears. He has good people skills, which proved to be helpful when they came into the town of Bree after their escape from the Black Riders. His character is deep, sensible, quiet and consistent. His character evolution is less obvious, compared to those of Sam, Frodo and Pippin. He seems less vital at first and remains mainly in the background. He plays very silent yet significant role in the adventures of the hobbits. It was he who provided ponies for their flight, led them to the Old Forest and Buckleberry Ferry, and after the attack on Weathertop, it is consistently and logically him on whom Aragorn calls for help to bring the hobbits quietly, and without credit through dangers when Frodo was wounded and too burdened, Sam too hostile and absorbed in serving his Master Frodo, and Pippin too irresponsible. Merry has the role of the neglected good child of the story, and resents the kindness shown to the naughty one who draws attention to himself. He is a loving character, who offers the service of his sword to King Theoden out of compassion for the old man. He is also very stubborn as shown when he was ordered to be left behind when King Theoden went to war. He disobeys the Kings command in connivance with Eowyn, the King's Daughter who is disguised as the soldier Dernhelm. They follow him and together, they slay the Black Riders, both striking an enemy far beyond their strength for the love of a father. Merry is a very good supporting character - complex enough to intrigue the readers into getting to know him, and firm enough to support the protagonist's characteristics and decisions.
On the other hand, Peregrine Took is another story. He hails from the Tooks of the Shire which is a large, boisterous yet venerable family that has a reputation for being queerness and a love of adventure. His character is the spoiled youngest child as opposed to Merry's character. He is 29 years old, four years short for the "coming of age" for a hobbit and is the teenager among the four who left the Shire. He is young, na?ve, spontaneous and inquisitive. He is very immature, curious and impulsive - characteristics which gets him into a heap of trouble. He is very childish and is literally treated as a child as shown in the sequence of the Great Ride, when Gandalf flees on the wings of the wind of war, he bears Pippin with him on Shadowfax quite literally as a small child: "Aragorn lifted Pippin and set him in Gandalf's arms, wrapped in cloak and blanket." (Book II, the Two Towers verses 201). He is a "naughty rebel" who desires attention and gets it. He is the chief mischief-maker and is always singled out by Gandalf for a testy rebuke. The naughty hobbit showed this several times in the story. First was when he throws a stone in the waters in the Mines of Moria and tipped off the orcs of their whereabouts. Second, was when he stole the Palantir from Gandalf while the wizard was asleep. This foolishness earned him the title "Fool of a Took", which Gandalf had given him. Yet despite his foolishness, Pippin has his virtues. He is known to have a keen sense of how to survive in any crisis not made by him. He is an individual, independent and firm in his decisions. Being a proud hobbit as he is, he enters service for Denethor, the Steward of Gondor as a payment of his debt to Boromir who was slain defending him. His character is deeper and complex and is not only there to be a comic relief of the story. Peregrine Took is an important character that is unique and essential to the plot.
Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrine Took are both essential and important characters to The Lord of the Rings and are not just a waste of paper and ink. They are very unique characters that have deep qualities and virtues that make them stand out in the minds of the readers. Merry and Pippin may have a lot of superficial similarities, but they also bear contrasting personalities that make them full, interesting characters that are classic and memorable to all readers.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:53 PM   #2
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

That was wonderful, Seraphine! I quite enjoyed reading it, and I think you've described them well. Waste of paper and ink...indeed!!! I am, as others around the Downs know, a big Pippin fan. But I'm also a fan of Merry. It's always great to come across another of like mind.

(oh, btw, Eowyn is Theoden's neice, not his daughter.)
Old 10-31-2002, 02:25 PM   #3
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

That was awesome, Sariefina! You did a really good job of describing them. Even non-Tolkienites can understand who Merry and Pippin were! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nice to meet you! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 10:16 PM   #4
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Woah, Sariefina! That was incredible! I didn't get to read the whole thing, but I'll certainly go through it all as soon as I can.

Eru knows I'm a hobbit-girl at heart, and I love to hear about my beloved Merry, Pippin, Sam, and Frodo. (Sam most...much as I love the others, Sam stole my heart.)

Welcome to the Barrow-Downs, Sariefina--from one newbie to another!

~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-06-2002, 05:20 PM   #5
gralin musicteeth
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Tossing half-sick between grotesque reality and savage, frightening dreams
gralin musicteeth has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

wow. that's awesome. i revere you, Sarie, i really do. welcome to the Downs.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:19 AM   #6
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow. I am really impressed. (And tha' ain't easy t'do.) I wish I had the time to delve into ME like that. Well done! I applaud thee! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 05:49 AM   #7
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Silmaril

That was pleasant reading!
It sounds like an essay. Maybe you should post it somewhere in the essay section. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2002, 04:56 PM   #8
Saurannûn the Wood Elf
Haunting Spirit

Saurannûn the Wood Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Saurannûn the Wood Elf
Thumbs up

WOW! That was excellent. I always loved Merry and Pippin, for I can definitley relate to Pippins childishness, and I would feel honoured to know them. They were amazingly significant characters, and they are so great! They may be troublemakers, but Merry is very responsible, and Pippin is so much like me he's always been a kindred spirit!
Old 11-20-2002, 07:39 PM   #9
Arwen Melian
Wight

Location: Sometimes Imladris....sometimes Mirkwood...other times ....Lothlorien
Arwen Melian has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

If that was a report for English class (and I'm in English honers)I know you would recieve an A ++!It was geeat and very convincing..you make an excellent writer!
Arwen Melian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 02:17 AM   #10
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mae govannan, Sariefina. Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo.

That was a wonderful article. May I ask permission to use it as an example to one of my students in comparing and contrasting? You did a wonderful job of both in this essay.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 10:50 AM   #11
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Mae govannen, Seraphine!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

This was a very interesting read, I commend you on your depth of observation. I am a bit of a Pippin myself, so I am constantly playing the advocate for him and Merry when they come up in conversation. It's remarkable how many people actually do think that they are a waste of ink and paper! I have taken it upon myself to get on all their cases when they start up that argument. The whole quest would probably have failed if not for Merry and Pippin!!

Again, I say Kudos To You for writing such an exceptional compare/contrast. One tiny thing: Pippin's whole name is spelled Peregrin, not Peregrine.

LOTR 4EVER!!!!!!!!!!!