The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2002, 09:28 PM   #1
Marigold Hedgeworth
Pile O'Bones

Marigold Hedgeworth has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Party Planning

I wasn't sure what forum this should be in, but I figure it's closer to 'mayhem' than it is anything else..anyway, I'm planning a 'Hobbit Party' for my upcoming birthday, and I'm rather desparate for ideas. There is, of course, the given of going out to see TTT, but I'm thinking I should probably have more to do than that.

The only inspiration I've had so far is for a bit of a trek through the forest surrounding my house...perhaps with my father dressed up as Tom B. We shall see [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . Then there's the idea of bubble pipes as party favors...hmm.

Well, anyway. I haven't had a birthday party since I was about eleven, so I could really use some help here. And ideas at all are appreciated [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] .

Thanks,
Mari
(Used to be Máme...until I forgot my password. Oops. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )

--G.K. Chesterton
Marigold Hedgeworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:37 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
1420!

Speech! Speech!

Model it after Bilbo's party. You could have tents, fireworks, the entire Shire...err...everyone in "The Middle of Nowhere" come. Invite a tall person who can be Gandalf, and make sure there's lots of beer. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Make sure you give a speech and become invisible at the end.

"My fellow Kennedys and Clarks, Jacksons and Smiths...."
Old 12-12-2002, 10:22 PM   #3
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ha, I like Manwe's idea. Do you have enough people invited for some hobbit-style dancing? I like the trek through the forest to meet "Tom Bombadil" too. And as party favors, give out Elven brooches! Okay, so they don't have to be the kind you get at the Barrow Downs store, maybe just leaf pins that can pass.

And serve cookies that look like the lembas wafers from the movie!

Man, I wish I was young enough to have a birthday party (not to mention enough LotRish friends). Oh well. Definitely tell us what you end up doing. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

PS If anyone you don't like shows up uninvited (it might happen!) you can scream, "Crebain from Dunland! Hide!" or "It's the Sackeville-Bagginses!"
Old 12-13-2002, 12:22 AM   #4
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dűm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I also like Manwe's idea. You need to get some fake hair and some glue, and tell your guests/friends to take their shoes off. Then you can have them glue the hair on (though some people might not need it!).

Oh, also give them those cute hobbit-like vests and curly wigs! Also MAKE SURE THEY ARE ALL SHORT!

[ December 13, 2002: Message edited by: -Imrahil- ]
Old 12-13-2002, 12:25 AM   #5
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dűm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Have lots and LOTS of food! The number on thing at a hobbit style party, is to have lots of food!
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 08:41 PM   #6
Marigold Hedgeworth
Pile O'Bones

Marigold Hedgeworth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Have lots and LOTS of food!
Ohh, yes. That's one thing that's been in the works for a long time. Lots of food...and lots of mushrooms [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Unfortunately, I only have four or five people coming over...it's a bit hard to get people out to 'The Middle of Nowhere'. Especially in December. On the bright side, one of those is the friend that's been helping me to choreograph the Springle-Ring...perhaps we can have hobbit dancing after all! Oh, goody.

I say, Manwe, the speech idea is truly brilliant. That'll surely be used...but I don't think tents and fireworks will work well in December [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] . Phooey.

Thanks so much for the ideas --and any more inspirations would be *greatly* appreciated!

Mari

[ December 13, 2002: Message edited by: Marigold Hedgeworth ]

--G.K. Chesterton
Marigold Hedgeworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 07:14 PM   #7
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Mae Govannen, Marigold.

Here are some ideas we shared for another Dec birthday party. Maybe you'll find something helpful here.TTT Birthday

My Birthday is also in Dec. Happy Birthday to you. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2002, 07:26 PM   #8
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mae govannen, Marigold! Happy birthday!

I can't write in Tengwar or Angerthas, but if you can (or know someone who can), then you could certainly use that to decorate. I agree with Manwe's speech idea, and Diamond's lembas idea. (Then you can go up to your friends and scoldingly ask how many cookies they've eaten! LoL!)

Four or five is a small number of people, but I know some 1800's-era dances that I think would correspond fairly well to Hobbit culture. I don't know how well I could communicate them over the Internet, but if you're interested, just send a PM my way.

Namarie, and happy birthday! (To you too, Rae!)

~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-15-2002, 08:09 PM   #9
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Base it on a special place in middle earth. Imagine, bobbing for apples in Galadriel's mirror, or something like that (I know, childish, but I'm happy right now [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) Also, you could have your dad dress up as Tom, like you said, but he could also be Treebeard! Have him come out of nowhere, "Let us not be too hasty..."
Old 12-15-2002, 09:06 PM   #10
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I have a recipe that I used for lembas cookies. they are actually cornflake cookies. They are GREAT and are cream colored so they are perfect.

Lembas Cookies (from Raefindel)

Mix together and set aside:
2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

Mix together in a seperate bowl:
1 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar

Then add:
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla

Add dry ingredients.

then add:
2 cups cornflakes
2 cups coconut

Form into 1" balls, and bake at 350-375 for 8-10 minutes.
They should be slightly chewey.

Orual thank you for the Birthday greeting! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]