The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien Éowyn's song

The funeral song of Éowyn shown in The Two Towers Extended Edition bears a striking resemblance to the sole surviving full musical piece of the trobairitz Beatriz de Dia (also known as Comtessa de Dia) of the late 12th/early 13th century. "A chanter" the piece is called, and although the trobairitz wrote mainly of courtly love and suppression, the funeral song sung by Éowyn sounds quite similar to the music of "A chanter".

Has anybody else heard this piece? If you haven't you can check out one sample of it (although it contains voice only) courtesy of Wikipedia-

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/...r2.ogg&wiki=en
Old 03-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
What sort of resemblance do you notice? I am listening to the tune as I write, and I note no similarity in tone, and although my ears are untrained in most foreign tongues, I cannot detect any similarity in lyrics either.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Gondor
What sort of resemblance do you notice? I am listening to the tune as I write, and I note no similarity in tone, and although my ears are untrained in most foreign tongues, I cannot detect any similarity in lyrics either.
Not lyrically. Just the flow of the song reminds me of Éowyn's. I have on a CD a much better version than Wikipedia has, with background fill, so on that CD it reminds me much more of her song than does the one on Wikipedia. Perhaps if you heard it too you might hear the resemblance better.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

I love Eowyn's funeral song but it was my experience that a good many of non-book fans found it *shudder* funny. They found it out of place. I was upset. Anyway, I do think that it does have a similar feel to 'A Chanter'. Thanks for sharing the link
Old 04-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Thanks for taking interest