The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2004, 10:05 PM   #1
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril Track-by-Track: Soundtrack Discussion and Analysis

For quite a while I've been thinking it would be a cool idea to get a bunch of people together to analyze the LotR soundtracks, to discuss the technical aspects of it as well as how it contributes to the events in the movie, the mood, etc. Since there has been some interest expressed in this idea, it has at last manifested, and I'm putting it in Novices and Newcomers, due to the wise counsel of Esty.

I suppose this will work in much of the same way as the Chapter by Chapter threads -- we'll focus on one track at a time; all aspects of each track are open for discussion. One thing which has been bugging me is how long to provide for each track discussion. CbC starts a new chapter every Monday. Since so many of us are busy during the week (and I need no further distractions from my mountains of homework ) I'm thinking it would make sense to start a new track every Friday; I could do so right after I get home from school. I've also been wondering if we need a full week to discuss each track. I guess we'll see how the first one goes and take it from there!

In light of Mr. Wight's Idea + Example = Better Topic thread, I'll start with Track One of FotR: The Prophecy.

The following Quenya lines are heard during this track:

Quote:
Hlasta!
Quetis Ilfirimain:
Corma turien te
Corma tuvien
Corma tultien te
Huines se nutien.
Tercáno Nuruva.
Tuvien Corma tultien te
Huinesse nutien
Corma turien te Corma.

Listen!
It speaks to those who were not born to die:
[One] Ring to rule them [all]
[One] Ring to find [them]
[One] Ring to bring them [all]
[And] in the Darkness bind them
[The] Herald of Death
To find [One] Ring, to bring them [all]
[And] in the Darkness bind them
[One] Ring to rule them [all], [One] Ring
The lyrics and translation are not given in full in the CD booklet; I found them at arwen-undomiel.com, which also features many more Elvish bits from the soundtracks and their translations. If you follow the words along while listening to the track, you can make the words out, more clearly in some places than in others.

At this point in the movie, we have the flashback to Sauron's defeat. It's great that this translation would be what the choir is actually singing. Howard Shore and everyone who worked on the music could have chosen random syllables, and hardly anyone would have known the difference. The attention to detail is great here, and will continue throughout the soundtracks. Also, it is fitting that the words would be in Quenya rather than Sindarin, as the story is one which goes back into history and would merit a more formal tongue.

After we have the grand and terrifying brass, choir, and timpani part (the timpani almost seems like a pounding heartbeat) which accompanies Sauron's presence, the score moves to more mysterious violins, and the movie moves on to Gollum. We hear hints of the Ring theme (I hope you all know what I mean) with the trumpet solo at 2:17.

Towards the end of the track, the sound of the music grows a little lighter, with plucked strings (like the next track will use for the far more light-hearted hobbit music) and softer, calmer dynamics. There is another trumpet solo (3:34) which gives us the Hobbiton theme for the first time, and will tie in nicely to track 2.

Time for me to turn in... hope to see some responses!

Last edited by Encaitare; 12-08-2004 at 10:06 PM. Reason: smiley problems
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote