The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-01-2004, 08:23 AM   #1
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Orcs and the One

If an Orc discovered the One Ring, would he have kept it and tried to hide it from Sauron. Are Orcs impervious to the lure of the Ring?
Old 02-01-2004, 12:30 PM   #2
Alatariel
Wight

Alatariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Absolutley not. Orcs existed basically in thrall of Sauron, and would have turned the Ring over to him. Sure, they might try to hide the Ring from him when they first found it, but as soon as they put it on, that would have been the end of whatever resistance they had. Finding its way into the hand of an Orc would be almost as sure a way of getting back to Sauron as if a Nazgul found it.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:15 AM   #3
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

i beg to differ a little bit

if orcs would give the the ring directly yo the dark-lord himself then why did "grishnak" try to take the ring for his own?

if you can just explain this to me ?
Old 02-02-2004, 11:43 AM   #4
Alatariel
Wight

Alatariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Perhaps I wasn't quite as clear as I meant to be - an orc like Grishnakh might have coveted the Ring and tried to claim it for himself, but as soon as he put it on - in my opionion - he would have fallen immediatley prey to the power of the Ring. I have argued in the past about the relative intelligence of orcs, but they are still under the dominion of Sauron and would have very little (if any) of the willpower necessary to combat the corruption of the Ring and the overwhelming power of Sauron.

Additionally, the chances of an orc turning the Ring directly over to Sauron himself would probably be slim to none - most likely Sauron would have sent a Nazgul to retrieve it for him.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:46 PM February 02, 2004: Message edited by: Alatariel ]
Old 02-03-2004, 12:58 PM   #5
Firnoreion

Sting

An Orc might well have tried to use the ring. I doubt they would have any resistance to its power. However, as soon as they used it they would be discovered and, as pointed out earlier, a Nazgul would come knocking...
Old 02-03-2004, 06:17 PM   #6
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

As said above, an orc would have no reason to keep the ring. They care not about power, only food and their own twisted fun.

It is true that Grishnakh tried to take the ring (which wasn't really there) from Pippin and Merry, but I don't believe he wanted it for power. Remember that both Sauron and Saruman wanted power. Ugluk served Saruman, Grishnakh served Sauron (I think). He wanted to show up Ugluk and return the Ring to Sauron, becoming more respected among orcs and uruk-hai and being rewarded by the Dark Lord.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 06:44 AM   #7
Amrod the Hunter
Haunting Spirit

Amrod the Hunter has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Amrod the Hunter
Pipe

Orcs fight another orcs,so if orc would have found the One,he would probably give him to Sauron,to gain some power to defeat his so called friends.
Amrod the Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote