The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2004, 04:45 AM   #1
Osse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
"I don't have my books with me..."

As we all know, or have observed, most downers don't actually HAVE their books with them. The number of topics that are founded on someone who "dosen't have their books with them" or who's books are "in storage" or "written in swahili" is getting ridiculous...

I'd just like to ask, where are all the books?? If no-one has them, where are they?!?!
Old 08-21-2004, 05:28 AM   #2
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

My friends keep taking them. Those crazy friends of mine. The things we go through to convert someone to a Tolkien fan. Crazy I tell you. Simply crazy.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:31 AM   #3
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Some of us post during our lunch hour at work.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:59 AM   #4
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Most of my books are either upstairs in my bookcase, or in my backpack for reading at work.

However...I do have my one-volume edition right by my knee, where I can and do use it for reference. Ha ha! A jump on some of you!

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:21 AM   #5
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
They're usually upstairs on my shelf, and unless there's something I feel I must be to-the-letter exact on, then I'll just work from memory. I'm too lazy to get out of my swivel chair and go up two flights of stairs, being a very sedentary person
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:35 AM   #6
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I have 'downstairs' and 'upstairs' copies of LOTR, but the rest (e.g. HoME, The Sil. etc.) are all downstairs, and I have very steep stairs, so I can't always be bothered getting off my bum to go and get them! I have severe book storage problems as all the shelves in the living room, computer room and on the stairs are now full, and the only solution is a larger house.
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:37 AM   #7
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, the problem with me is my computer is roughly 20 yards away from the cabinet where my lotr books are kept. Naturally, that's a major problem !
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:35 AM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

They have been stolen by the Witch of Caithness, for use in a spell to rid the region of her white witch foes.

This is a Mirth thread, right?
Old 08-21-2004, 12:24 PM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Most of my original texts have been lost in the primeaval swamp that is my god daughter's bedroom she also has custody of my DVDs and CD .... but LOTR did fall apart as she read it .......lol so I had to rebuy anyway.......

At the moment I tend to post in a Cyber Cafe instead of sitting in a traffic jam... and since my Tolkien books fill a small bookcase (a small piece of order in the primaeval swamp that is my bedroom) ... well I am notorious for carrying around my life in my handbag but.... even I have limits... Perhaps we should get them to do a wheeled-suitcase edition of the complete works....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:28 PM   #10
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I work from memory usually but my books are in my room all lined up nifty

for the quiz room I treat my "Languages of Tolkien's Middle Earth" like a bible otherwise like enca I usually dont look anything up unless I deed exact quotes.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:27 PM   #11
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Ah, the long and complicated story of the location of my books.

The Fellowship of the Ring: For all that it's practically memorized anyhow, my copy of FotR resides on my bookshelf, except for when Keeper of Dol Goldur "borrows" it and it stays on his bedside table for weeks at a time. Currently it is in my da's den on the floor by some of my CDs.

The Two Towers: Resides most often on my bookshelf, next to FotR when that is where it should be. Currently... on my bookshelf.

The Return of the King: Resides occasionally on my bookshelf, but is more often half-read on the floor by my bed, or in Keeper's room. Currently right next to FotR.

The Hobbit: Lives on my bookshelf, except for the 9 month stay it had at a friend's house when I was trying to convert him.

The Silm: my local library. I don't own it yet.

Everything else: I get them by special order through the library. Takes awhile, so I tend to go online instead.

Or I could just say that my books were burninated by Trogdor.

Fea
Old 08-21-2004, 07:28 PM   #12
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
These hypothetical books you speak of are usually found under the beds of the ...how do you say...so-called LOTR know-it-all's bed with an inch of dust piled on them! I think people like that just like challenging other BDers and when they find out they're wrong they have to come up with a lame excuse as to why they were wrong...when they could just easily admit they were wrong....Have a nice night everyone!
Old 08-21-2004, 09:33 PM   #13
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
Or I could just say that my books were burninated by Trogdor.
LOL! ::sings and dances:: TROGDORRRR!!! THE BURNINATORR!!!!

Okay, enough silliness. ::tries to look serious and fails:: I too shall say where all my books are:

LotR all-in-one book: on special Tolkien-only shelf

Silm: also on said shelf

FotR: somewhere in my house; I'm not sure where

TTT: between my Argonath bookends!

RotK: also between bookends

HoME I-V (the only ones I've got), Languages book, and movie-related books (art of, weapons and warfare, etc.): on special shelf

Tolkien Reader: next to me because I'm currently reading "On Fairy Stories"

Woohoo!
Old 08-21-2004, 10:00 PM   #14
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
If it is something important, like a double-check on a QR Q/A or a post in the Books, then I walk up a flight of stairs to my bedroom to get my books. Otherwise, I, too, go from memory.

Currently:

FOTR: Book; special Tolkein-related shelf in room. Movie; Upstairs TV.
TTT: Book; in my "reading-space" in my room. Movie; Downstairs TV.
ROTK: Book; Reading-space. Movie; friend's house...darnnit!
Everything else (except Weapons and Warfare): At library....double darnnit!
Old 08-22-2004, 05:40 AM   #15
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Before I got my own computer for Christmas last year, all of my books would be upstairs in my room and if I wanted to check on something I would have to go all the way up there to get them. Now, I have most of my books (3-in-1 LotR, the Hobbit, UT, the Sil, and currently the Lays of Beleriand) stacked up right next to my keyboard. It makes things a whole lot easier.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 10:08 AM   #16
One of the Nine
Haunting Spirit

Location: In my mind. What? Why are you looking at me like that?
One of the Nine has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to One of the Nine Send a message via MSN to One of the Nine
Sting

Well, all of my books are on my special Tolkein shelf, with a couple other books that needed somewhere to reside, along with the DVD of RotK. The family computer is sadly across the house from my room, and I never get up from the computer lest someone steal it from me, in which case I boot them off.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:55 PM   #17
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

My books lie scattered on any of the number of surfaces I use throughout my home. I do technically have a
Quote:
special Tolkein shelf
but it doesn't have many actual books on it. Usually I have a paperback book or two somewhere in my trenchcoat, but as it's summer I can't wear it.

Hey, perhaps that's where my Lays of Beleriand is...
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 01:04 PM   #18
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Usually I have a paperback book or two somewhere in my trenchcoat
Ah, the joys of a coat which seems to have been cunningly designed for the bookworm! I once had a duffel coat which had paperback-sized pockets, and for this reason I used to wear it, despite being nicknamed 'Paddington'.

How many people have a special 'Tolkien shelf'? I have so many books that I always group like with like, so I naturally have a Tolkien shelf anyway, although some of the larger books are on the 'oversize' books shelves - I sound like a frustrated librarian... I keep my 'upstairs' LOTR on top of the poetry shelf which is at the top of the stairs, although the volumes are often scattered between various bedrooms and the bathroom and I have to round them up every few days.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:16 PM   #19
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I am fortunate enough to have a computer in my own bedroom from which I can brows the Internet. SO I always have my books close at hand. Weather I can be bothered to get them from the cupboard behind me is a different matter.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:00 PM   #20
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
My rrom is only down the hall but still thats like 30 steps I have to take its like 45 seconds of my time!

The only things I keep close to the computer are as I said "Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth" and the CD set of the BBC Radio dramanization of the trilogy and the hobbit
Old 08-23-2004, 03:44 PM   #21
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

They probably give them away to others on their birthdays.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:17 PM   #22
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Narya Why I don't have my books on me . . .

I usually use the internet at school - living in a rural province in a country not that famous has its downsides, like no internet access at home. My bag is a small Hello Kitty backpack - in pink, of course. Only two LotR books manage to fit there. Right now, I'm carrying the Fellowship and UT.

Of course, I carry another bag. This one's my IN - immediate need - bag. Contains all the things I need - lembas, miruvor, and the current Arda tome I'm reading. Right now it's The Two Towers. I'm rereading LotR for the first time this year.

First time? Blasphemy! Heresy! Burn him at the stake!

Hey, I've been out reading Tom Clancy, remember?

Yeah. The tank battles at Executive Orders was quite amusing.

Once - last year, I think - I tried to bring all Arda tomes I own - in a different bag, of course. That plan went to Angband once I owned HoME I-III. Now where do I fit my school stuff? And my food?
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 10:24 PM   #23
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Well they're in my room, which is about 20 feet from where the computer is located. They have never been borrowed because I don't lend them. So I really have no excuse for not using them while posting, but it is just that I am usually too lazy to go over, get them, and then find the passage in which I'm searching for

I usually reference the Internet instead because it's easier
Old 08-24-2004, 06:44 AM   #24
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Once I sit at the comp chair, it'll take hours before I part withit. Except when I'm hungry, or nature's calling.
As for my books..... welll.... I use the net on our Comp Labs during Recess at school.
At home my bookcase is way too high for me to reach without exerting much effort (see how lazy I am...)
Those are the major reasons.

THe minor reasons:
Once in a blue moon a friend borrows those
My dad hides them, then says" Consuelo if you don't study your chemistry I'll never buy you a novel again"

As for the hiding, I always know where he hides them. But then again, I musn't get caught while stealing my babies back.
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:00 AM   #25
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Oh, no! My books are so far away...twelve steps is too many to climb! The staircase to the upper level of my home seems to carry on forever...I simply can't deal with the long, arduous journey to my bedroom upstairs.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:48 PM   #26
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
I usually use the internet at school
I, too, often use the computers at school, so I don't have my books with me for about 90% of my posts.

When I know something from the books well enough to post without looking it up I make sure and say "I don't have my books with me". I do this for two reasons- 1) in case (this hasn't happened yet) I'm completely wrong or 2) to show off my Tolkien smarts (sort of like saying "I don't even need a book to answer that question! Ha ha!").
Old 08-24-2004, 06:31 PM   #27
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
Usually I have a paperback book or two somewhere in my trenchcoat, but as it's summer I can't wear it.
No fair! *My* trenchcoat doesn't have handy book-sized pockets!
Old 08-27-2004, 03:12 AM   #28
Osse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
my books have been mysteriously swallowed up by a tenticled beast. "It was suprising that of all the trilogy, it was the Fellowship of the Ring, that the beast went for first..." - Or something close, i don't have my books here, or i'd look up the exact quote.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:25 AM   #29
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Since my computer and my Tolkien bookshelf are right next to each other, I *never* post without my books! I have all of the major and minor works, plus reference material, biography, etc. at arm's length, and the ones that are currently being used are stacked on the table around my keyboard with lots of paper slips bookmarking the quiz/quotes passages or chapters being discussed.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:43 AM   #30
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

The books are with Nilpaurion Felagund.

*groan* I have to get my own copy...
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:05 AM   #31
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
No fair! *My* trenchcoat doesn't have handy book-sized pockets!

Well let that be a lesson to you.... always take your books when selecting your wardrobe.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:41 AM   #32
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Since my computer and my Tolkien bookshelf are right next to each other, I *never* post without my books! I have all of the major and minor works, plus reference material, biography, etc. at arm's length, and the ones that are currently being used are stacked on the table around my keyboard with lots of paper slips bookmarking the quiz/quotes passages or chapters being discussed.
Once again, Esty puts us all to shame. *hangs head*
Old 08-27-2004, 11:45 AM   #33
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Well, if I can't brag about all the books and use them frequently, what's the use of spending so much money on them?!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:04 PM   #34
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Is THAT why my shelves are bending under the weight?
Old 08-27-2004, 12:14 PM   #35
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Esty,

You're really organized. My house looks like Bag-end at the beginning of the movie with books and papers scattered all around!

The crazy thing is this. I have multiple copies of most of Tolkien's works as well as various critical studies but many of them are kept in my bedroom or living room on bookshelves. There's just not enough space in the room where the computer is.

I quite frequently post very late at night when everyone else in the house is snoring away. I do keep a one-volume LotR near my computer, but lots of times I need other things. The problem is if I creep to where the books are, the dog in my son's room starts barking (a giant standard poodle that looks like a mop) and everyone wakes up! My husband has to get up at 5:00 am and he somehow does not appreciate being woken at 1 am.

So, in the interests of family peace, I sometimes post without my books.

Cami

P.S. These various "excuses" for posting without the books are really quite creative. In their diversity and cleverness, they remind me of the tales I used to tell my teacher when I didn't have my assignments.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 08-27-2004 at 12:39 PM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:02 PM   #36
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

mark12_30, let me shake your hand. That's the finest collection I've ever seen and I'm beyond jealous. I'd presume you've been hunting editions down in second-hand shops as that must have cost you many £££s! I'm now going to look for old editions a little more often I think - I did get an illustrated Hobbit for 50p the other day though.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:34 PM   #37
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

50p!!!!????!!!!

(Is green with envy, or it may be the fact that I’m dead, I can’t tell)

That's not fair! My nearest Waterstones sells it for £15! Which is annoying, as I don't make a lot of money! >.<
Old 08-27-2004, 02:10 PM   #38
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

It is this one, illustrated by Michael Hague. It was in a Barnardos charity shop that I found it - the one near work has a huge book section - but I left them more than 50p with it being a charity, and it was such a bargain!
Old 08-27-2004, 02:15 PM   #39
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

I love the picture of the elves in the trees, playing harps. Perfect.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:16 PM   #40
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
It is this one, illustrated by Michael Hague. It was in a Barnardos charity shop that I found it - the one near work has a huge book section - but I left them more than 50p with it being a charity, and it was such a bargain!
Oh, I see.

I've never seen that version. Only this one. which is Illustrated by Alan Lee