Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2003, 06:30 PM   #161
The Ruling Ring
Haunting Spirit

The Ruling Ring has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"How many are still alive?"

"A few hundred last time I knew Cap'n. There could be less now. They are not moving. He is a coward..They must be found Captain. They are lost."

Ohtaredan felt his heart come into his throat at this response to his captain's question. The thought of the men, Herebrand's men, their friends, their comrades-in-arms, forced to remain, like helpless animals in the woods, sickened him. And the thought that their wounds and perhaps the wild men could be picking them off one by one was a thing he didn't even want to contend with.

"We must find them," Ohtaredan breathed. "We must."

"Indeed," Herebrand replied softly, his eyes glazed at the soldier's words.

Ohtaredan leaned down to the man, speaking quietly so as not to excite him, but loud enough for the man to hear.

"Thank you, friend. Rest now, you have done your best. We shall find the men, we shall bring them back."

The patient nodded, though it seemed his wounds and necessity only dictated that he should rest at all, Ohtaredan could tell as he straightened up.

He looked at his captain and friend, questions filling his eyes. In calmer times, Ohtaredan realized that he leaned quite heavily on his superior, but in these times, Ohtaredan only saw him as the bravest and most capable man.

[ August 10, 2003: Message edited by: The Ruling Ring ]
Old 08-13-2003, 06:02 AM   #162
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Have you ever seen any apples like that?”

Fascinated, Fiona stared up at the round, scarlet-red appels weighing down the large trees in the Swan Garden. Next to her, Elena was cradeling a babydoll she´d found. Now she looked up too, her eyes spreading in suprise.

“Fiona, they look just like my uncles! His apples were the roundest in five villages! He always said that you can´t grow apples like that: you have them, or you don´t. I always wanted to have a little appletree like that, but tthen, then they- the trees, they were all burnt...” she sniffed, but seemed to recover quickly. “They tasted wonderful!” she added.

“I bet they did...” Fiona said slowly. She still felt a bit uncomfortable about Elena´s watery revivals, but she kept her tounge behind her teeth- there were more pressing maters now. Like how to get one of those apples. Fiona grabbed the lowest branch of the apple tree and swung herself into the highter branches. She picked two apples and dropped them into the grass, before jumping down herself.

Grinning broadly, she handed on of the apples to Elena, who looked horrified.

“What now” Fiona asked, exasperated.

“You can´t just eat the apples! They´re not yours! And look what you´ve done to your dress! And that´s not yours either!” Elena shrieked

“All right, keep your head on. It´s only a dress! And these apples- you´ve got to ea them before they start to rot!” She sank her teeth deeply in the fruit. “Absoloutly delicious!” she told Elena, but laughed un der her strict look. “Okay, okay. I´ll go to the Swan Lady and tell her I´m sorry I broke her dress and that I won´t do it again. All right?”

Elena nodded, than happily bit in her apple.

“Girls, I want you to take a nap. You must be so worn out!” The Swan Lady walked in the garden, smiling kindly down at them. Elena shot Fiona a sharp look, who roolled her eyes impatiently in return. Elena stuck her tongue out at her. Fiona crossed her eyes and wiggled her ear back. They caught each other´s eye and burst into a heep of giggles.

“Umm, Miss Swan Lady...” Fiona said, biting her lip. “We –err, all right, I thought those apples of yours looked so good, so I...I climed up the tree and picked two. And I ripped your dress, too. I´m sorry; I won´t do it again!” She looked up at the old lady, who smiled kindly.

“Did you like the apples? She asked. Both girls nodded happily. “Off to bed then!”

Fiona couldn´t sleep. She wasn´t tired, not at all. On the contrary, she felt restless, restless- and worried.

“Elena?”

“Yes?”

“Are you asleep?”

“No.”

Fiona sighed deeply and turned over in bed.

“Fiona?”

“Yes?”

“Never mind.”

Fiona heard Elena sob in her pillow.

“Miss Priss? You okay?”

“Hmmm”

“Hey-?”

“What?”

Fiona stared at the wall. What did she want to say? And how? She sat up in bed.

“Elena, do you think- do you think Porridge and Daddy and Hurin and Beren and Beor and Aragorn are okay?”

Elena sniffed. “I don´t know.” She wispered softly.

Suddenly, Fiona got up. She knew it was crazy, but she had to do it- she just had to! “I´m going to check if they´re okay; and what happened to our house. You coming with?”

Say yes, Elena, say yes. Please say yes. I can´t do this without you. Please say yes

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 08-13-2003, 12:16 PM   #163
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

“I´m going to check if they´re okay; and what happened to our house. You coming with?”

Elena stiffened in the dark. She couldn't sleep- everytime she closed her eyes images of the burnt farm swam into her mind, only now there was Fiona's house too. But running away? She bit her lip. Everyone here had been so nice, and it seemed like a horrible thing to do. And what if there were still wild men in the village? There were so many problems she felt her head start to ache.

"What about Rian?" she asked slowly, trying to get her head clearer.
"She'll be fine here" answered Fiona. "We don't want to have to look after her any more"

"What if there are wild men in the village?" she asked again, fearfully.
"It's dark. We can go really really quietly." Fiona said practically. There was a note of pleading in her voice that Elena had never heard before.
"Ye...es" she said "and people here keep talking about how they're fighting them, I just remembered. That's alright then, but can we just leave? Isn't it...rude?"

Fiona sighed impatiently.
"Well it would be" Elena answered stubbornly.
"But if we wait until morning they won't let us go!" Fiona objected.

Elena sighed, then ran over to the window. She withdrew the heavy drapes so that the light of the moon softly lit the room. On a shelf there was a rough slate that was probably used to teach children to write. But there was no chalk. Desperately Elena sept her hands into the dark corners of the shelf until it finally closed on a stub.

"Here" she said, holding it up to Fiona, who nodded.
Quickly Elena printed a message,
We wanted to check on our family so we have gone to the village. We don't want to worry you. We're sorry. Please look after Rian.
Elena and Fiona

Looking at it she thought it didn't seem like the letters that her Aunts used to write somehow, and her writing had become messy since she hadn't practised for almost a year but at least the Lady would know where they were.

"We might as well go then" she said to Fiona with an effort at a smile, but her voice shook. She was very scared.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 08-14-2003, 03:30 AM   #164
Kryssal
Wight

Kryssal has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Leena didn't think that her arms could hurt more when the army had stopped for a quick dinner, but when she picked up the stretcher again after the break she found out she was wrong. Her arms, having known freedom for that wonderful short time were now rebelling. Griting her teeth she mentally scolded her sore muscles and told them there would be no more respites till the village was in sight.

The trek through the forest wasn't happy. It was very slow going and now the scout that they had sent out at the end of dinner hadn't come back yet. Leena took that as a good sign, saying that he had perhaps reached the village and was getting some help from Laurel or Herebrand. Others, most particularly Settac who was whining at least every quarter of an hour, said he had died by the wild men.

If we didn't have so many wounded right now I'd knock him into his own stretcher. Looking back she could make him out carrying a very light pack.

As she was turning her head back to watch where she was going, Leena saw a soldier suddenly pitch forward onto the man in front of him. Calling out a warning to the other carrier of the stretcher, the priestess hastily put the stretcher down and set off toward the newly fallen.

Suddenly voices erupted in alarm and clashing swords could be heard. Unsheathing her own blade Leena's arms had new strength flow into them as she focused for battle.

New voices were ringing, ordering the men to take form and stand firm. The three leaders were holding the men together. Several strange calls seemed to be coming from up ahead of the army, but the priestess had no time to ponder on these.

Right before she reached the fights, Leena's arm was wrenched to the side and she had to stop herself from slicing the offender when she saw it to be one of the Rohirrim.

"You have done this to us!" Settac spat at her.

Feeling that he was taking her away from the battle and that he was the worst person she had met in awhile, Leena almost decided against retaliation. Almost - reaching back with her free arm she palm puched him in the face. He wasn't expecting this and fell back abruptly letting her go.

The scene came up in front of her, mostly hidden by the forest greenery. There seemed to be about ten wild men killing any Rohirrim wounded or standing. Many of the soldiers were already dead.

She took out a dart and threw it into a wild man about to impale a soldier who was on a stretcher now lying on the ground. As she went to engage another wild man a soldier fell sideways, the victim of a dart, and hit her leg on the way down. Struggling to fend off her opponent and get her footing back under she received a stinging wound in her side. Looking down quickly she saw it to only be a shallow sword slice.

Trying as she might, Leena couldn't get her footing stable with the uneven ground and fallen men blocking her. Not many of the Rohirrim were fighting, having been ordered to form perimeters around the wounded. Fear flashed in her mind as she saw a strike she couldn't defend properly against. Right before it struck, the wild man suddenly stopped, his eyes turned wide. As he fell over dead, Leena turned to see who saved her.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:56 AM   #165
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

“We might as well go then...”

Fiona gratefully looked at Elena, who had just posed the note on her pillow. Tomorrow, she thought, tomorrow I will be extra nice to her....

The two girls tiptoed out of the room. Fiona didn´t even dare to breathe. She lead them in the garden. Out here it was bright, though huge clouds seemed to be forming in the east. Swords seemed to kling in the background. Fiona turnred around to see a terrified Elena, trying very hard to be brave. “We´re going through the back gate. We can climb over it, it´s really small.” Elena nodded.

Without another word, both girls walked over. Fiona showed Elena where she could put her feet before climbing over herself. The old appletree´s leaves stirred in a breeze. She felt watched. The girls followed a path around the house. Shortly before they broke out into the main street, Fiona turned her head back to the house.

“We´ll be back.”

The village seemed sweeped empty. The streets were silent, and yet a very distant sound of battle could be heard, more like an echo. It was a heavy kind of silence, a silence that made the hairs on Fiona´s back prickle. This was not the village she knew. This was a place she didn´t want to see alone. Well, she wasn´t alone now! Elena was silently keeping up, her shoulders pulled up and her eyes wide open. By insticnt, Fiona took her hand. “Don´t be scared.” She wispered, squeezing it tight.

They turned around a corner, another. Signs of destruction everywhere. The bakery had burt out, Farmer Lidun´s house was only a pile of rocks. Fiona felt fury and grief rising in her at he same time. Why did they have to do it? It´s not fair, it´s not fair.... Trees had been cut down, even the streets showed marks of fire and dark stains. Blood, Fiona realized in shock.

They turned right. Fiona closed her eyes, measuring the steps towards her house. She knew Elena was doing the same. Time seemed to have stopped. She couldn´t bare it. She didn´t want to open her eyes, didn´t want to know...but she had to.

“On the count of three, we open our eyes.” She told Elena. “One, two- THREE”

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 08-15-2003, 09:42 AM   #166
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Elena opened her eyes and stared nervously up at the house. Even though when she first came, she had thought it was strange she suddenly realised that she was very worried about it, as well as everyone in it. There was a horrible sick feeling in her stomach every time she thought about her Papa.

The house itself seemed to show very little wrong with it. There seemed to be a lot of damage in the garden, smashed windows and the door was lying face down on the path but there was no sign or- Elena sniffed- smell of burning. There was also no red stains, which had to be a good thing.

Fiona had moved to the doorway, staring into the dark passage- despite the long walk it had not yet come to dawn. The sky was still a sort of inky-blue, almost black and only moonlight allowed Elena to see what she had of the state of the house. Inside there was no moonlight. Elena felt her heart jump into her throat at the thought of what might be waiting inside.

There could be monsters! she thought fearfully, trusting what she had heard that the bad men had been driven away. But the most important thing to do was find Papa. Trying her best to ignore her fears Elena went to stand beside Fiona. Although she was almost completely in the shadow Elena could see enough of her face to see that she also looked worried, so she reached out to squeeze her hand. Fiona squeezed back, then pulled her arm away. Together they walked through the doorway.

Elena walked forward slowly, trying to remember the placement of different objects. Fiona knew better, of course, and walked off quite fast, reappearing with a candle. In the soft light Elena could see the damage- quite a few things knocked over or broken and some things seemed to have gone missing. Fiona looked upset, but she seemed restless too. There was no sign of anyone. Together the girls moved to the stairs.

The rooms upstairs did not seem to have been damaged. Elena wondered why, but was most concerned about the people. They weren’t in any of the rooms upstairs and the girls went back down. Finally Fiona yelled out to see if anyone answered, but still no-one did.

Feeling numb Elena walked outside and sat down in the somehow comforting moonlight. He wasn’t here then. What did that mean? Perhaps he had been taken like she and Fiona and Rian had been? Perhaps he was
dead. Elena could feel a sob building up in her throat, but she was interrupted by a small shadow coming towards her. It was Porridge the squirrel. Elena held her hand out to him, almost happily. He hopped on, and Elena saw that he had blood on one of his small front paws. She held him up to the moonlight and saw a sliver of glass in it.

“Fiona!” she called loudly, forgetting that they were supposed to be quiet outside. Fiona came running. Elena showed her Porridge’s paw.
“What shall we do?” she asked, with tears staining her face.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 08-17-2003, 08:00 AM   #167
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Porridge! He was alive, he was back, he wasn´t- "Oh Porridge!" Fiona´s eyes filled with tears as she kissed the squirrel everywhere, his bushy tail tickeling her sweetly. "Porridge, you´re hurt!" Fiona gently took his paw. She ripped a piece of cloth from her dress, and carefully wrapped it around the squirrels hurt paw. She kissed the improvised bandage and looked at Elena.

"He wants to thank you." She said simply, letting porridge on Elena´s arms. In a moment of simple understanding, the other girl petted his head.

"You´re welcome." Elena said, but it seemed much like she meant Fiona. Porridge jumped back on her shoulder. Fiona pulled her nose and wiped her eyes with her sleeve. Porrige was back. She felt things would be alright, some day. But where were the others?

"The barn!" Fiona slammedd her forehead with her palm. "Of course! They must have his in the barnhouse. Come on Elena, I´m sure they´re there. I know it."

Elena followed her quickly. They ran up the yard, past the swing and the oakes to the old barnhouse. The door stood open a jar. Fiona put her finger to her lips. Elena nodded. They tiptoed in.

The barn was pitch-dark. The familiar smell of hay and wood embraced and calmed Fiona gently. Slowly, her eyes adjusted to the dark. The stacks of hay were untidy, not neatly stacked as usual. Rian would faint! Fiona thought, smiling. But the thought of Rian being lost and apathic let her lips fall down again. Would she ever be alright?

"Fiona!" Elena wispered in alarm. Fiona swung round. Elena gestured her to listen. And sure enough, low, muffeled voices seem to come from a corner of the barn. What was that? Unsurely, Fiona moved forward, towards the noise. Suddenly, she bumped into something.

"Ouch!" Said the something.

Fiona screamed and backed off. Elena stood stil as a statue, her eyes wide open. Her mouth was shut tight, as if she was trying hard not to scream. Suddenly, the something -or someone, really- pulled back his hood.

"Elena? Fiona? You´re alive!"
Old 08-17-2003, 03:48 PM   #168
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Annunfuin listened to the Swan Lady’s quiet voice with mixed feelings. “. . . Sir Thagon’s…end . . . you carry plenty from times now and before . . . he will be given proper ceremony . . .” The words rang in the old man’s mind. Floods of pain, anger and pure despair flushed over him with such power that finally he was numbed. Sir Thagon… Well, he’s at peace now – unlike the rest of us. the Gondorian thought grimly; And may be we will all join him quite soon. None of his dark thoughts did he speak aloud while a black cloud seemed to veil the sun from him.

But as Annunfuin glanced up he saw the sun and a cloudless sky. The darkness was inside of him – as it had been for what seemed like a lifetime. Over thirty years and I have yet to find peace… The grey head lowered as if suddenly weighed down by the long years passed. Thirty years – gods let me rest already!

“As for your plans, I can give you help.” The prolonged silence was broken by the soft voice of the lady of the House. Plans… – and suddenly the unbearable weight eased, the dark dream passed; Plans! Annunfuin raised his head and his eyes kindled; This isn’t over yet, I still have work to do! Maybe then…I will be forgiven…

Time for private musings was over and the soldier took control of the situation. The Guard of the White Tower knew all there was to know about defence and also – if need be – of evacuations. Taralphiel’s account of their odds wasn’t promising but it was truthful: Annunfuin was painfully aware that the number of capable fighters was virtually non-existent. I need to see a map of the forest, the sooner the better… Two leaders, two groups, with 25 in each and taking different routes – that should do it. With lady Taralphiel’s authority and Rudchamion and Annanoldowen’s help we should be ready before sunset. Even the thought of these preparations made the Gondorian’s blood run faster and he felt alive, as if in battle already. Now, as always when he was excited or nervous, Annunfuin fingered the hilt of his sword.

“As for an attack, I am sure that my granddaughter is planning it already. She does not rest long if she sees such a chance. Though what kind of attack she could make is uncertain.” Annunfuin wasn’t sure whether to frown or smile at these words by Taralphiel and so his face twisted curiously. Many and more years had passed since he had cared so deeply for someone as he now cared for the young lady Laurel. He knew her skills as a shield-maiden and yet… he couldn’t help but worry.

A gust of wind from the sea found its way to the sheltered garden and blew a lock of dark grey hair to Annunfuin’s face before finding its way through the many passages and halls of the Swan House. Wind bells rang softly. Annunfuin pushed back the rebellious lock and then shook his head lightly. Concentrate! he told himself silently; Laurel will do fine, she’s not alone!

Suddenly he became aware of the silence in which even the humming tune of a distant waterfall sounded crystal clear. Lady Taralphiel sat silent and Annunfuin could feel her gaze fixed on him. Her emerald green eyes flashed in the sunlight;

“But I will not leave here. My last journey from here I have already made. I wish to see the last of my home, if it comes to that. I do not wish to leave my husband and children again” Annunfuin’s fingers tightened around Romenril’s carved hilt. Of course something like this had to come - otherwise things would have gone too easily! ‘Woman, we have no time for this with so many lives at stake!’ With the warrior spirit so strong in him he managed to swallow the rough words only with an effort. Instead of insulting her Annunfuin followed the old woman's gaze to the middle of the courtyard.

Four white tombstones stood under a blooming tree. “Ithilien, Estelien, and Eriador. All my joy came from them. Now they are gone. My daughter died in the arms of her love. I will do as close as I can to the same.” Taralphiel’s words hit Annunfuin straight to the heart and he breathed sharply, as if suddenly stabbed to chest. We are so different and yet so alike! She would understand my pain… “I will not leave here…”

Annunfuin couldn’t sit still any longer. He stood up and walked slowly to the stones. As if seeking for support he placed his hand over one of them.

The cold touch of the white stone made the bowed figure shiver. Cold and dead… Annunfuin drew his hand away and turned to the green, living tree. The leafs whispered to him gently, calmingly.

The Gondorian looked over his shoulder, back to the Lady Taralphiel and a new, unexplained surety was in his tone as he then spoke:

“M’lady, your pain is now my pain – and I will in every way to help to carry your burden. I know loss too… But now I know something else: that even in the middle of death and suffering a new life may be born and flourish. From your daughter your granddaughter was born…” Annunfuin paused but then continued as if urged forward by some outer force; “And even now – when all seems lost – love and life will. . . they already have overcome.”

Annunfuin’s thoughts wandered to his young companions as Taralphiel silently came to stand beside him. He gave her time to consider his words for he knew pushing her would be of little avail. Minutes melted together and vanished into eternity. . .

“I will not leave…”

Annunfuin closed his eyes and sighed: the battle was lost.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:02 AM   #169
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Sting

Taralphiel fixed her eyes on Annunfuin. He was struggling to find convincing words. She saw pain in him, and she knew what he was about to say, almost before he said it.

“M’lady, your pain is now my pain – and I will in every way to help to carry your burden. I know loss too… But now I know something else: that even in the middle of death and suffering a new life may be born and flourish. From your daughter your granddaughter was born…” Taralphiel looked to the ground, and watched the dead leaves being dragged by the light wind. She felt time drag at her that same way. She felt her life go cold.

“And even now – when all seems lost – love and life will. . . they already have overcome.”

Taralphiel looked at Annunfuin, and held no expression. She could not answer him. She was bound to this place. She was bound to her children, and to her husband. She thought of things to say, but could not utter them. Though she knew he knew her resolve, and that she wanted to meet her end

~*~

Laurel turned away from the soldier, and let Herebrand talk to him more. She did not know hoe to react. The army was not dead, but they would not be that way for long. All her fatigue piled on her. She still had two of her comrades missing, and one in such conditions...She could not think of what was happening to him and keep her anger subsided. She knew she could have stopped his suffering. She could have cuaght him back. And she inflicted pain upon Jesslyn as well. Her guilt had not relented.

She headed outdoors. She needed to find the three Elves, and talk more of strategy. She knew they were not pleased with her decisions, and she wanted to come to a reasonable compromise, now that she had calmed down a slight.

Swords ringing raised her senses. She ran through the streets to see a Rohirrim fending off Wild Men. She could have cheered, but instead she threw herself at the nearest Wild Man, despite her injuries.

The last time she fought, she had lost. She remembered the face of the Gondorian man, the man who reminded her of her father. She remembered what he told her. Her movements became less rigid. Her leg slowed her considerably, but she was no longer in a Wild rage which compromised her thinking. One Wild soldier came at her, and she dodged his sword, and carefully stepped and brought her blade through his back and ended him quickly. She felt everything flow smoothly, and she felt no more rage.

She quickly went to aid one Rohirrim, and sliced the throat of a Wild Man. 'Leena!! Thank Eru!' she said, before she was attacked and was driven away from her. It did not take to long to work her way back, and by that time the Wild Men were all dead.

Smiling widely, she said 'I am glad you are found! There is much to be done! But first, you all deserve plenty of rest!' She held out her hand for Leena to lean on, and moved to the Sick House.

~*~

Gorath turned to Galain 'He will not last more than a day' His brother nodded as he helped pour water into the young man's mouth. He spluttered, but drank gratefully with assistance.

'We will be coming back with the Lady to rescue you. Rest, and keep quiet' He managed a nod.

The brothers did not take long to get back silently through the forest. They found Laurel at the Sick House, helping Lady Leena. They did not take long to pull her aside.

Her face was already lined with cares someone her age should not have. Gorath put his words out simply 'Cartil is dying. He will not wait for your plan to be fullfilled.'

Laurel lowered her head, then gruffly said 'We will go and get him now. This is my fault. I am coming with you'

[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: Taralphiel ]
Old 08-18-2003, 05:43 PM   #170
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Leena was greatful for the arm since she was now having problems standing. The battle lust had now worn off and all of her old aches decided to combine with her new ones.

"You've no idea how relieved I am to see you right now, thank Nienna. It took much longer than anticipated to reach here. How many in the village survived? And what of the House?"

Laurel didn't look at the priestess when she asked the questions.

"Well," the young sheild-maiden started, "The House and village were hit at the same time. Many were lost on both sides and the village got hazed a bit as you can tell. We have a whole house set up just to take care of the sick."

Leena looked back over her shoulder before they entered into the sick house Laurel had just spoken of.

"You might be needing to set up another one. The army has many wounded amoung their ranks, almost as many as are whole."

Laurel looked at Leena quickly, then turned and led the way into a small room where only an old man lay sleeping. "There's something you should know. During the battle Sir Kestner was hit by a dart and killed."

Leena blinked and then blinked again. Finally she nodded and started to walk past Laurel who tried to put a hand on her. With a look the priestess turned the leader away. Leena held her arms tight about her as she walked through and out of the sick house where new Rohirrim were being brought in for treatment. Once the priestess reached the outside she went to a small side street, knelt down and started a death prayer and chant; gently she rocked back and forth as she went through the haunting, swaying motions that would help Thagon's spirit, and hers as well.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:44 AM   #171
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Maikafanawen's post

Annanoldowen stood in the shadow cast by the arched window that blocked out the sun watching as the survivors were gathered, and the dead tallied. The wings now designated as hospitals held the few wounded that had survived the poison injected into their bodies at Annanoldowen’s hand. The elf wrapped her weary arms around her body and sighed. She had done all she could and gave the handful of nurses who helped her all the recipes and necessary ingredients to continue without her.
The silvery blue dress she had donned for the purpose of meeting an old friend was now in pathetic tatters. The sleeves had been pinned allowing Annanoldowen plenty of elbowroom as she attended her patients. Traces of washed out blood and even some vomit were on the skirt and the bodice was lopsided. Altogether her appearance wasn’t very admirable. She hadn’t had time to change and decided that now would be a good a time as any.

The attack upon the Swan House wasn’t as brutal as it may have seemed. Most of the inhabitants had taken up immediate sanctuary and avoided the wrath of the wild men. There were, thankfully, twice as many living as there were among the dead. The she-elf had gone over her options to action now in her head.

She could stay and offer her assistance as a nurse and even a swordswoman should a second attack be ensued upon the house. However, the most logical course of action would be to take up Taurawaa and ride to the village. Annanoldowen was very talented in the area of medicines but she was also gifted with politics and strategy. With Cartil in the hands of the wild men and with a second attack most likely on the way, things would have to move incredibly fast and the Rivendell elf would like to be involved.

Abandoning her place by the window she made her way through the house inquiring for Lady Taralphiel until one maid pointed her towards the garden. Annanoldowen looked out towards the magnificent yard and saw the Swan Lady speaking with Annunfuin. They looked to be in relatively deep conversation and the elf decided to change her clothes first. Her room on the third level had been untouched by the attack and her things were as they had been left. She discarded her dress and replaced it with the shirt, jerkin, pants and boots she had purchased in the village. Plaiting her hair down her back she took inventory of her bag. She still had a plentiful amount of medicines, the Swan House having most of the necessary herbs already.

Strapping her sword to her waist and slipping on her bag she walked briskly out to the gardens to tell Taralphiel of her decision to travel on to the village to help in the rescue of Cartil and the defensive plotting against a second attack.

As she reached Taralphiel and Annunfuin she bowed.

“It has come to my consciousness that I am no longer desperately needed here at the house. The half dozen maids in my wing had all but perfected the simple yet necessary methods of healing and the survivors are well in order preparing for a second ambush. The village most likely would welcome my assistance. I wanted to let you know before I just disappeared though and see if you objected.” Taralphiel blinked.

[ August 21, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 08-21-2003, 12:45 AM   #172
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Silence fell between the two grey figures; not an awkward but kind of relieved one, such that follows when a difficult conversation is over, despite the outcome. Taralphiel had made her mind and Annunfuin knew he could not change it. Uttered words would only have dropped to the air to hang between them like a blurring haze.
Annunfuin tried to steer his thoughts elsewhere, away from the difficulties ahead to some useful matters. But stubbornly his mind turned to their desperate situation, their defencelessness against the enemy’s overpower. While turning these matters over in his head Annunfuin paced feverishly to and fro on the smooth lawn. There must be some way… there must!

But no matter how he twisted the truth the Gondorian saw little hope in their case. Their company had scattered; first they had split into two groups and then, when the attacks came, the disaster was a fact. Now, judging by the little what he had heard, things in the Village were nothing short of a chaos and at the House… The last time I saw us all together was just before the raid. Annunfuin stopped, his frown revealing his perplexity; Was it just two days ago? It felt like years had passed since he last saw Sir Thagon… or heard that one young lad so proudly present his parchment to the Lady. A small smile crept to the aged man’s lips as he thought of Cartil Stone – only to disappear in a flash when he remembered what had happened to the young diplomat. Why did he come here? What a waste… Annunfuin turned on his heels and began walking the same route as only a moment earlier.

Suddenly he froze still and felt his heart skip a beat. Lady Taralphiel’s expression was quite a sight when Annunfuin without a warning swung round and exclaimed;

“Of course! What a fool I’ve been!” In the excitement all blood rushed to his cheeks making him blush like a teenager in love. “The parchment! King’s parchment!” Annunfuin suppressed an urge to grab the old Lady by her arms and shook the answer from her. He steadied his breath and continued in a calmer, yet a bit shaky tone; “What was it about?”

It took a while for lady Taralphiel to recover from Annunfuin’s sudden ‘attack’. Her green eyes that had first flown wide open now narrowed as she searched his face for further signs of insanity. Then, little by little she began to perceive what he was talking about and the expression her face took was a mixture of hope and anxiety.

“How could I forget? Now it may be too late! Yes, it was important: ‘Two times fifty men to be put into Your command if need be. . . two days ride, the camp is located at the Mouths of Anduin. . .’ Oh, I can’t remember it all!” But the newly kindled light in Taralphiel’s eyes died even as she finished her last sentence; “But four days to get there and back again. It’s too late…”

Just then they heard the sound of nearing footsteps and both turned to face the comer. Annanoldowen stopped in front of them and bowed.

“It has come to my consciousness that I am no longer desperately needed here at the house. The half dozen maids in my wing had all but perfected the simple yet necessary methods of healing and the survivors are well in order preparing for a second ambush. The village most likely would welcome my assistance. I wanted to let you know before I just disappeared though and see if you objected.”

Taralphiel was still too shocked to answer to the elf-lady’s polite words. She had sat on a bench and now just looked at her friend, speechless. But seeing Annanoldowen in her riding wear gave Annunfuin an idea which he rushed to speak aloud before lady Taralphiel could give her permission for the elf to leave.

“Lady Annanoldowen. Though the House would be ready to let you go I’m afraid we will be needing your assistance in another matter.” At these words both the ladies turned their questioning glances at Annunfuin. The late-morning sun shone high over the House and already made the air quiver. “How fast could you make a ride of about fifty miles?”

[ August 27, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 08-21-2003, 09:39 PM   #173
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Jesslyn had dozed off, but let one eye open when she saw Leena hearded and helped into one of the bunks adjacent to Jesslyn's own. She lived! Leena lived, but Sir Thagon had not survived. Suddenly Jesslyn felt a swell of pity and sympathy for Leena, knowing the torn ache the woman must have been feeling. As close as Leena and Thagon had been, Jesslyn realized how hard it would be for Leena to get over such a thing. But what surprised and intrigued Jesslyn even more than Leena's supposed emotions was the conversation between Laurel and the two Elven brothers that proceeded Leena's entrance.

Gorath and Galain pulled Laurel aside, so that the three of them were standing just to the left of the foot of Jesslyn's bunk. Gorath and Galain's faces were stony with regret and yet determination as well. Jesslyn closed her eyes and pretended to be sleeping, and still she listened as carefully as she could to the conversation.

"Cartil is dying," Gorath began, and just these words sent a shiver up Jesslyn's spine. It was true! Jesslyn's worst fears were admitted right before her presence. Cartil was dying...dying! While Jesslyn just laid there and tried to recover from wounds that could have been dismissed or avoided Cartil was dying! But still Gorath was not finished. "He will not wait for your plan to be fulfilled."

"We will go and get him now. This is my fault. I am coming with you," Laurel answered with resignation and bravery that could only be admired at such a point. Still Jesslyn couldn't help but feel a tinge of anger at the woman. Why would she leave without telling Jesslyn face-to-face that Cartil was dying? Did she not want Jesslyn going along? It was Jesslyn's duty to help her brother!

Laurel was beginning to make her way out of the Healing House with Gorath and Galain, but Jesslyn wouldn't let her get away with it that easily. Jesslyn sat bolt upright in her cot and stood to chase Laurel, Gorath, and Galain as she tried to ignore the painful and dizzy feeling that was swarming her head.

"Wait!" Jesslyn called to Laurel, her voice cracking and slightly high-pitched with congestion. Laurel whipped around at a speed that surprised Jesslyn into stepping back a few paces before the black-haired girl stopped and began to eye Laurel defiantly. "Why would you go without me to go and save my own brother?"

"I owe it to you...for not telling you about him to begin with. I realized my mistake, Lady Jesslyn, which is why Leena already knows about Thagon. Please, rest!" Laurel pleeded, though Jesslyn scoffed at the woman and her wounded leg. Laurel was in no better condition than Jesslyn was!

"You need to rest! Let someone else worry about their own problems for once and take a break!" Jesslyn retorted, though deep inside she felt a great respect for Laurel and her ability to handle responsibility. Laurel shook her head vigorously and limped quickly out of the Healing House to catch up with Gorath and Galain.

Cartil's life was in their hands...
Old 08-22-2003, 01:35 AM   #174
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Laurel turned her back on Jesslyn, and tried to hide her limp as she headed for supplies. But Jesslyn did not relent. 'Why wont you listen to me??' she said in exasperation.

Laurel turned just to see the girl stumble, and almost fall. Laurel took a hold of her shoulders to keep her steady.

'Jesslyn. You are of no use out there. What would I do if they captured you too? I am going to right my wrongs. I will get your brother back, if it costs me my life. You need a brother, and he needs a sister. So I ask you to stay here'

Jesslyn seemed to have little to say ti her response. Laurel allready thought it was a hasty thing to say, and tried to cover the colour in her face. 'Please take care of Leena' she mumbled, and continued her way to the Supplies House.

There she found Gorath and Galain stocking up on arrows for their quivers, and loose armour. After taking and putting on what she needed, she turned to the two and said 'I thank you for doing this with me. I trust you skill. We will bring Jesslyn back her brother'
Old 08-22-2003, 01:46 PM   #175
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

“Lady Annanoldowen. Though the House would be ready to let you go I’m afraid we will be needing your assistance in another matter.” At these words both the ladies turned their questioning glances at Annunfuin. The late-morning sun shone high over the House and already made the air quiver. “How fast could you make a ride of about fifty miles?”

Annanoldowen looked questioningly at Annunfuin. “I don't think I quite followed you on that Sir." Annunfuin smiled enigmatically and proceeded to explain his idea to Annanoldowen and Taralphiel.

"I had just recalled the parchment of Cartil's from the King to Taralphiel. The Lady then informed me of what the parchment vaguely suggested. There is a company of five score men camped at the mouth of the Anduin, ready to lend their support to the Swan House's cause." Frustration welled up temporarily in Annanoldowen. What good were those men camping four days from here! Ai! The simplicity of man's mind! Annunfuin continued. "It's too long of a ride for the regular horse but perhaps yours could make it in half the time?" he asked hopefully. Annanoldowen nodded solemnly.

"One quarter the time," she said indifferently. "Shall I leave right away? What message would you like me to give?" she queried facing Taralphiel.

"Just that we greatly appreciate their service and will be earnestly awaiting their arrival." With every word Taralphiel let a short sigh releasing the hopelessness she had felt when it appeared as though the matter would not persist to be beneficial.

"Very sentimental my Lady," Annanoldowen replied dryly. She had been looking for some sort of military plan as to the course of action they should take immediately upon arrival. Apparently that decision would have to be made by herself. No matter, she'd handle it fine.

As she was turning to leave, the Swan Lady stood quickly and embraced Annanoldowen. "Thank you so much," she said in a motherly tone. Shocked at being hugged by a mortal—something that had never happened in the three thousand years she's lived amongst them—Annanoldowen hesitated, then held her back momentarily before stepping back.

"I have come to offer my service. Anything that I can do I do willingly." Bowing into her retreat, she bid the two farewell and went to search out Taurewaa. Whistling into the laurel woods surrounding the House, she waited only a moment before the white Mearas came galloping towards her, mane askew and tail whipping in the wind. Annanoldowen patted her horse's nose fondly before pulling herself up on its back. Situating herself so that it was comfortable with no saddle, she turned Taurewaa to face south (?). Then she whispered two words and the two were off, leaving the echo of Noro lim behind them.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

It was late evening when she arrived where the soldiers were camped. She was pointed immediately to the captain's tent who welcomed her enthusiastically.

"I was getting very worried when no word came my Lady," he said with veneration. "I was told not to move unless given word to do so though. You understand." Annanoldowen nodded, brushing aside his pretexts.

"Well I'm here now with summons from Lady Taralphiel of Swan Wood. We need your army to help defend her House and Town. It is a two-day journey on foot from here to the woods," she said directly. "When can your troops be ready to move?"

"Give us twenty minutes," he said proudly.

"Let's make it ten," she said wryly. "Just to be safe." As much as it was against her nature to be brash with people, she recognized early that the only way to get anything done with men, especially soldiers, was to be straightforward and firm. If they respected you that was fine, but if they feared you, that was better. She wasn't sure how educated in elf-lore this Captain Dellick was, but if she was lucky, the old fairytales of magic would help weave the threads of reverence into his mind for the time being.

[ August 22, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 08-23-2003, 11:36 AM   #176
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Lanaey didn't know what to do at this moment. The girls were lost, the army resting, and Drass taking a much needed nap. She could go and try to help with the healers or feeders, but everwhere was so packed with people that she felt her presence would be more of a hinderance than anything.

Letting her feet take her around the town she simply patrolled once again. This time though, the Elf let her mind wander more than usuall, keeping her senses open to the land knowing it would warn her if trouble was upon her. Lanaey's mind didn't do much wandering though, it simply seemed to note things around her. A broken branch, a smoldered house fire, Laurel walking quickly toward a building.

Wait, what is Laurel doing?

Spinning back she saw Laurel heading toward a house used for supplies and rushed her steps to catch her leader. On the threshold of the house she found the dark brothers packing up their own supplies.

Laurel turned at her coming. "Cartil," was all she got out before Lanaey exclaimed, "I'm coming."

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: Kryssal ]
Old 08-24-2003, 12:26 AM   #177
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Laurel smiled lightly at Lanaey 'As you wish...friend' She took her sharpened sword and slid it into the hilt and headed out the door with the two Dark Elves following behind.

A nurse found them at that point, and took Laurel's hand. 'Milady, I think we've found another of your party...' Laurel followed her to where a man lay on a stretcher by the Sick House.

'Ilisit' Laurel said and went pale. It was not long before Herebrand was summoned out to see him.

'I...am truly sorry' Laurel mumbled, and with a reverent bow to the man, tuirned on her heel, and walked the way of the forest. Turning to Lanaey, sh mumbled 'Lets not let that happen to Cartil'
Old 08-25-2003, 05:13 PM   #178
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Gita finished her exploration of the town in two good hours, recording in her mind just how many villagers were left. Since hardly any were warriors, the wild men had killed all but three score and she had seen merely a dozen children. The assault had been very successful and the last raid would dispatch of the remaining villagers. It was sweet victory that met her eyes as she continued her assessment.

She was moving just out of the shadows of one house when she saw Laurel and a few others making their way down the street. Her breath caught in her throat and she dived back under cover to wait as they passed. Gita watched with flaring contempt as the Swan Lady limped away. What she wouldn’t give to decapitate that pretty little head of hers with the concealed dagger gripped in her left hand. The impulse almost got the best of her but they turned into a house just as she left the shadows, a wicked grin on her face. She cursed under her breath and turned down the opposite way back towards the camp to report her findings to the king. It would be an easy triumph.

Her hopes were dashed as she made her way through the woods. Voices and footsteps ahead warned her of a decent mass of people making their way through the village. From her position behind a gorse bush she witnessed the remains of the Rohirrm army en route to the village and their captain. Some were wounded but there were still a good many able bodied men that would certainly prove a great threat to the wild men if appropriately assembled.

Things seemed to go from bad to worse as she continued on towards camp, Cuor hot on her trail.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:52 AM   #179
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Seeing Ilisit dead didn't have the same affect on Lanaey as it did the young maiden Laurel. Many had died and seeing one more just hardened the Elf's resolve a bit more.

As they left the dead man Laurel turned and spoke. "Lets not let that happen to Cartil."

Lanaey reached over and squeezed her leaders arm. "I don't plan to, do you?"

Laurel put up a weary smile, "Nay," she looked off at nothing specifically. "Get the rest of what's needed and you three meet me at the forests edge."
Old 08-27-2003, 01:06 AM   #180
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Cuor continued throgh the Village, watching Gita's every move. He saw her react to Laurel's presence, and he knew his caution was well put. He would not let her out of her sight.

He watched Gita stand by the Sick House, but turned to see Laurel head out to the forest. 'Once she is on her own, she will be defenceless' he smiled 'Not much longer'

~*~

Taralphiel saw Annanoldowen off with a smile. Many obviously thought it was forced, that her mood was an act. But this smile was not put on.

She walked to her spot, at the edge of the House, on the cliffs very edge. She looked down at the tumbling waves, and out to the horizon. She felt the curtains lightly brush her back, and she felt like a graceful white bird. She felt she could fall and soar, above any limit. She let the cold breeze bite at her, but did not shudder. She knew she would stay here.

'Well husband, I kept my oath, my promise. You asked me that I would end my days here, where youu would watch over me. Now I will'

~*~

Rudhchamion stood not far behind Taralphiel, and heard what she said. He made no movement, said not a word. He had never met a human quite like her. Every time you thought you knew the workings of her mind, she surprised you. He mistook her stoic standing here at the House as pride, not wanting to leave what her, and her family, had worked so long on. He did not expect that she still had within her such a tender sentiment. He thought that the years, and her adventures when she had first met him, had made her hard, and logical.

He moved up beside her, and said. 'I am glad Eriador could count on you. I wish I had have had time to know him better'

Taralphiel turned and said 'He knew you well enough to know that when we needed you most, you would arrive, my friend'

~*~

Herebrand was summoned to where stretchers lay. He watched Laurel limp quickly in the other direction, and shook his head. She was putting too much strain on herself. He began to jog to catch up to her, when Ohtaredan called him back.

'Captain...it is...' Ohtaredan did not need to finish the sentance. Herebrand could not form words in his throat. 'Ilisit...dear Eru...' He turned to the nurse and said. 'Can we have him embalmed? He needs to return to his people. I will take him home when this is over'

Herebrand made his way slowly back to his horse. Ohtaredan followed and asked 'What are we to do now Captain?'

'We will make our troops ready as soon as possible. We will aid Laurel, and help her win this final battle. And we will take Ilisit home when we are done. Spread the word'

~*~

Laurel stepped lightly through the forest. She had sent Galain to fetch a horse to carry Cartil with. It was quieter for the rest of them to stay on foot. Laurel was the one that had to worry the most, three Elves made no sound in the undergrowth. She took in the smell of the forest in a heavy breath, and spared a dream of this forest being safe for little children to play in it like she had done.

Lanaey and Gorath flanked her on either side, and it was not long before Galain caught up. 'What is our plan?' asked Gorath. 'You know the camp, we get in and out in the quickest and quietest way possible' Laurel mumbled.

'That should not be a problem. The Kings tent is on this edge of the clearing, away from the noise of the soldiers. Catril is in a corner, almost out of sight' said Galain

Laurel smiled 'That is good news! Are we all ready?'

'Are you?' asked Gorath

'You do not need to worry about that' said Laurel

[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: Taralphiel ]
Old 08-27-2003, 10:08 AM   #181
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Annanoldowen rode off an hour before the sun rose to noon. Annunfuin felt curiously relieved; as if half of the work had already been done. In the next moment, however, he came down to earth, realizing how absurd this thought was. They couldn’t rely solely on this new hope, they stood still on the very brim of destruction. There was a blank look on Annunfuin’s face as he walked across the yard to the stables. Shortly he bid the stable boy to make sure Fëadûr would be saddled three hours past mid-day. No reason to delay the departure any longer; all must be made ready by then. he mused while pacing briskly back to the House.

The air inside felt cool after the heat of the sun. Still, after the days he had already spent at the Swan House, Annunfuin felt lost at once as the walls circled him. I’ll be damned! How on earth will I ever manage all that needs to be done if I can’t even find my way from the back door to my own chamber? His frustration erupted in a flow of curses that luckily went unheard by the children of the House. In an attempt to put more weight to his words Annunfuin clenched his fist and slapped it against his right thigh.

He managed to hit himself right to the still fresh wound. The Gondorian winced and his face twisted with pain. But the sharp twinge flooding over him gave him a heavy reminder of why he didn’t know his way around the house: he had laid in bed for the better half of the time. “Better go back outside…” he grumbled to himself and straightened his back. But before he could take even one step a familiar voice addressed him from the left-hand corridor.

“Sir, may I help you?” Annunfuin recognised the maiden that had lead him and the three girls through the house just that same morning and a hint of smile rose to his lips as he spoke.

“Aye, indeed, Briana! I must get back to my room… But before that: could you take me to the study, or wherever the Lady Taralphiel keeps the maps of her realm?”

The girl gave Annunfuin a questioning eye but did not speak her reflections out loud. She has probably stood there longer than is desirable… Annunfuin thought and wondered if he should apologize his vulgar wording. But the maiden just nodded and beckoned him to follow, obviously advised to fulfil the guest’s every wish. They took to the left and disappeared into the shadowy passage.

Annunfuin sat on a bench in an embrasure and studied the scroll that lay unfolded in his lap. With his right index finger he once more traced the route from the Swan House across the Wood towards west; towards the cover that the hills would offer to the residents of the House. Finally his finger rested on a handful of round marks drawn to indicate small caverns the hunters from the house and village had used if the night had caught them too far from home. He tapped the spot a few times before raising his eyes from the map. They will be safe there he sighed. While glimpsing out from the window he marked that the sun’s ascent had ended; the day was beginning to grow old.

A creak of the door made Annunfuin turn from the sight of the sunny garden back towards to dimly lit study. The maid Briana stood in the door way.

“The elf Rudchamion is here, Sir, as you requested.”

“Well, let him in, let him in!” Annunfuin exclaimed, allowing himself to laugh inside at the girl’s odd ranking order: he would never have thought of letting an elf wait for his leave to enter a room. Outwards his expression changed only little as the dark elf entered the room and the two greeted each other courtly.

“With Lady Taralphiel’s consent I’m organising the evacuation of the Swan House.” Annunfuin began and pointed at the map that he had placed on a dark-wooden table. Rudchamion quickly took in the plan and nodded his approval. “I will need your help, friend. The road is long and rough – if there indeed is one – and we must get going as soon as possible. We are 50 strong, but with a vast number of wounded, or very young children.” Annunfuin’s eyes grew darker with the image of suffering faces teasing his mind. “First I thought of dividing us into two groups but now I see that won’t work… The stronger must carry those too weak to walk, though it’s a great strain to them. Would you take the lead? You are more used to the forests than I am. My place will be in the rear.”

Rudchamion needed no time to come up with an answer: “I will do all that I can to help you, Annunfuin.”

Before the third hour after noon had arrived the Swan House had become empty. Lady Taralphiel stood under the arched doorway and watched as her household bustled on the yard, ready to leave for their refuge. But many were reluctant to take the journey without their dear leader; murmurs rose while others tried to drown their sorrow in to the feverish preparations.

Annunfuin watched the Lady from the corner of his eye. He perceived the mask of graveness that veiled her inner feelings; the mask that was slowly cracking. Suddenly she raised her hand - and everything was silent.

“People of the House of the Swan” Taralphiel began, in a strangely low tone; “The Forest is your friend as you know; it will let you pass and it will hide your track. Fare in peace! I will wait for your return here…” She raised both her hands into a blessing, then turned and walked away. The silence remained.

Annunfuin stood still a moment, then gave a sign to Rudchamion to order the group forward. With the elf’s call stretchers were raised and soon the vanguard vanished from Annunfuin’s sight into the shades of the forest. He waited in the ground until the very last pair of the line limped under the laurel trees. Then, with an effort, he hauled himself to the saddle and let Fëadûr take the road after the others.

A soft twilight surrounded the slowly trudging group as it entered the forest. Once again Annunfuin felt like he had passed into a whole another world with different light, time, all. The birds in the trees… their chirrup was like humming. And the other animals, big and little; they were silent, it almost felt if they were watching that no harm came to the travellers. No-one spoke and the enchantment rested over them.

Fëadûr’s hooves made no sound as they met the mossy ground. But yet it was the riding that kept Annunfuin in close contact with the reality. Sitting in the saddle stretched his wound and made him grit his teeth harder with every move.

It was against his nature to give in but finally he had absolutely no other choice than to pull his stallion to a halt and dismount. While limping in the rear he truly felt like part of the hapless gang: tired and miserable.

The lashing twig caught him unguarded. But a sharp slap in the face was just what the Gondorian needed. Straighten up man! he told himself like to the young soldiers under his command; Things could be worse – and they still can turn that way unless you pay attention. Annunfuin adjusted his posture accordingly and peered over the odd line of bowed heads and stooped shoulders. While straining to catch a glimpse of the van and Rudchamion he suddenly found himself sneering. Admirable obedience! he remembered to commend himself.

But there was no time for sarcasm. The sun was still high but so was their way still long and their trudge slow – for the weary travellers the day was growing old. Annunfuin counted the hours by the golden rays that peeked through the boughs and leaves. Four hours before sunset. That isn’t much... The flash of dark grey eyes signalled resolution. But it’ll be enough.

Chased by haste Annunfuin picked up some speed and soon reached the last of the robed figures in front of him: a girl. A familiar girl.

“Hello…Rian, wasn’t it?” The girl raised her head in alarm but relaxed with seeing the old man’s friendly smile. Annunfuin couldn’t read any recognition in her empty eyes; only a weak nod answered in affirmative. He nodded back and for a while they walked side by side in silence.

“You look much better than the last time I saw you. I hope you’re feeling better too?” Annunfuin’s words were again answered with a barely noticeable motion of head. Undecided about how to continue a conversation that alarmingly began to resemble a monologue Annunfuin rested his left hand on his sword hilt while his right slowly ran through Fëadûr’s black mane.

A voice not much louder than the sound of wind circling in the bushes gently pulled the Gondorian’s wandering mind back to present.

“Hmh, sorry?”

“He’s beautiful.” The voice was now clearly audible though still a bit thick due to lack of use in the past few days.

“He is, isn’t he? And guess what?” With coloured graveness in his tone Annunfuin cast a bait – and the girl took it. As the ‘what’ formed on Rian’s face he gave her the bridle, stepped aside and grinned broadly; “He knows that himself too!” Fëadûr whinnied softly at this and chafed his muzzle against the girl’s shoulder.

Annunfuin walked slowly forward and breathed a silent ‘thank you’ into the wind. For without turning, without looking he knew it, he felt it: Rian was smiling.

[ October 04, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 08-28-2003, 05:43 PM   #182
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Lanaey hadn't really been inside of this part forest yet, so she kept slightly behind the others. Letting them lead she took up the job of watching out for intruders from behind. Every hundred paces or so the female Elf thought for a moment that she had heard something out of place with the natural forest, but being unfamiliar with the land and not knowing if it truly was just a creature she ignored it.

At one point she whispered her misgivings in Laurel's ear and then stepped out of the path to try and see if there was someone out there. Her search had proved fruitless and she returned shortly. The paths along the floor had been much too muddled by passing wild men going to and from the village battle and the only noises that now seeped into Lanaey's ears were those of the regular night critters.

None too soon Gorath raised his hand and caused them all to halt and gather around him.

"The encampment is just ahead, about forty paces," he spoke in the barest of whispers.

Laurel nodded and then whispered back, "I want one of you to go in with me to help with Cartil and the other to stay outside the tent with Lanaey as lookout."

The brothers looked at each other, then Gorath looked back. "I will go in with you, Lady Laurel; Galain can take post with Lanaey."

Laurel and Gorath turned to each other just as Lanaey turned toward Galain to further cement their cover plans. He seemed along the same track of mind.

"One of us should watch from the trees that are behind the tent and keep the horse underneath."

Lanaey nodded and finished the plan, "And the other at the corner of the tent facing most of the rest of the camp."

The dark Elf just stared at her, making it known that the decision was up to her. Thinking for just a moment, Lanaey finally came to a conclusion.

"I'll take to the trees."
Old 09-02-2003, 03:01 AM   #183
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Laurel slid against the side of the tent and made sure to make no sound. She watched as Gorath pushed at a small cut tent flap, and motioned her inside.

It was a dark antechamber of the main tent of the King. Kegs of beer, and balnkets and extra supplies lay about haphazardly, and the reek from the Kings rooms filtered through. Laurel tried not to have a weak stomach, and her nerves helped this.

Cartil lay in the very corner, his arms above his head and tied to the roof beam. Gorath looked at them with little expression, and began to cut at them.

Laurel knelt by the man, and lightly shook him. He jerked back, as if expecting a great blow. She murmured softly to him and pressed a waterskin to his lips.

'Say nothing, we are here to take you back' she said in the smallest whisper. She heard sounds of pipes and cheers from the other room. Cartil slumped forward as Gorath let the rope down, and Laurel began to prompt him to his feet. Straining on her own leg, she managed to get him to stand. She was about out of the flap when there was movemnt towards the antechamber. Gorath hurried her out, and closed their escape.

The two took the weight of the semi concious man evenly and began towards the trees together.

'We must hurry, it will not take them long to discover what has happened' Laurel bit her lip and quickened her pace.

When they reached the trees, Galain took Cartils shoulder and she slipped from under him with a grunt of pain. Looking up at Lanaey, she said 'We must hurry!!'
Old 09-02-2003, 11:09 AM   #184
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Lanaey kept her eyes around the edges of the tent and didn't try to see what was happening within. So far, none had been alerted to the rescue mission and the Elf would prefer to keep it that way.

Galain kept vigil at the tent edge, crouching in such a way as to look part of the bush he was beside.

Faster than Lanaey expected Laurel and Gorath were exiting the tent and approaching the hidden horse. Galain quickly took the heavy man from Laurel's shoulders and helped his brother hoist Cartil onto the horse.

"We must hurry!!" Laurel hissed up into the trees.

Lanaey motioned for them to go on, keeping watch of the camp. Laurel looked as if she was going to argue with the tree-squating Elf, but looking over at the retreating backs of the other three she decided to follow.

"Do not dwell here long," she whispered before disappearing in the forest herself.

Lanaey stayed in the trees until all sounds of their flight were lost from her fine-tuned ears. Glancing down first, the Elf fell lightly to the ground with a wince.

Right as she turned to leave shouts rang out from the tent and someone cursed. Not waiting any longer she sped from the camp.

~*~

Leena had cried. She really hadn't meant to, but Thagon had meant more to her than she would have ever admitted to herself. She knew that right now she should probably get some sleep or at least rest, but her body and mind didn't agree on what she wanted to do. So, she ended up walking around the house looking into rooms. When ever she saw someone sleeping or being helped by another the priestess simply left to continue her useless wondering.

After near a half hour of this she came to a room that housed someone she knew. It was the young warrior Jesslyn and she looked pale and nervous, but the girl was doing her best to stay put.

When Leena first walked in Jess didn't notice her, but as Leena turned to leave the young madain turned and hailed her.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:35 PM   #185
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Jesslyn ran from her cot, suddenly glad that she had not taken a leg wound as Laurel had. Jogging up to Leena as the other woman began to leave, Jesslyn placed a hand on her shoulder gently. The girl turned around quickly, fatigue and worry lining her face. The empathy and sorrow for Leena came back afresh in Jesslyn’s mind, for Jesslyn recognized the feeling of pain and loss that Leena had.

“I’m so sorry about Thagon. It probably isn’t any consolation, but he was very brave and worthy of great remembrance and praise. He was a good man, I know what he meant to you,” Jesslyn murmured, voice slightly shaky as another wave of dizziness overcame her momentarily. Leena nodded, and let a hint of a smile show on her face before shaking her head as if to clear her mind.

“Thank you, Jesslyn. I miss him. He was a good man, he won’t be forgotten, I assure you. We were so close…” Leena replied, letting a tear escape her eye and roll down her cheek. She wiped her cheek and smiled once. “I won’t forget him.”

“Good,” Jesslyn smiled for the first time since before the battle for Alphirion.

Cartil’s already sore and torn muscles began to ache with renewed vigor as the horse trotted along through the woods as they fled. Cartil had begun to lose hope in rescue, lose hope in ever seeing Laurel or Jesslyn or his family again. He had wrongly doubted Laurel and her motivation that no one be left behinds. Though slightly embarrassed, Cartil was eternally grateful for Laurel, Lanaey, Goroth, and Galain’s rescue.

Laurel sprinted along at a slight limp as they ran away from the Wild Men’s camp. The shouts from the camp that had once been a prominent noise in the background had faded to a low groan in the woodlands of the Swan. Cartil began to wonder how Alphirion had fared, and how Taralphiel and the others at the House had done. He decided it would be the first thing he asked when he got back to Alphirion with Laurel.

The group soon made it to the edge of the woods and the outskirts of Alphirion. Laurel led everyone to a house that was apparently being used to house the sickly or wounded. Apparently Alphirion had not fared well under the Wild Men’s attack. Laurel and Goroth helped carry the disillusioned Cartil to the nearest empty cot, which was slightly bloodied, but Cartil was in no position to choose where he was laid. Goroth left to go see if Lanaey had made it safely, while Laurel stayed next to Cartil and called a healer.

“Thank you, Laurel. Thank you so much. For a long while I didn’t think I’d ever see you or Jesslyn or anyone again. I thought I’d die a horrid death, either rotting in a smelly tent or at the hands of an even smellier Wild Man,” Cartil croaked, and Laurel chuckled. “Thank you. What has happened while I was gone? What about Jesslyn? Has she…has anyone…what about…”

“Jesslyn’s fine! Just worrying incessantly about you. You gave her quite a scare, Cartil!” Laurel replied, smiling grimly. Cartil was so glad to see her! Laurel continued, her face suddenly sad. “We lost Thagon.”

“He will be remembered,” Cartil replied, voice sure and firm. Poor Leena, he thought. Laurel nodded, and took her leave. She looked fatigued and sorrowful as she went off to do more important work, and Cartil wished he couild to more to thank her as a healer came to look at him.

[ September 05, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 09-04-2003, 07:40 PM   #186
The Ruling Ring
Haunting Spirit

The Ruling Ring has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ilisit...Ilisit...

Ohtaredan's brow knitted tight and his lips pressed together tighter as he ran forward, passing people carried on stretchers, looking for Herebrand. Where was his captain? He needed him now...again...

He found him, following along the line, his eyes on the girl Laurel, who was straining to carry her load of weapons and medical paraphernalia. His pace suddenly quickened. Ohtaredan stopped moving.

"H-Herebrand!" he called, waving his hand lifelessly for his captain to come back.

Herebrand turned and his face metamorphosed into pure dread as he took in Ohtaredan's face.

"It is," Ohtaredan began, but it was clear that Herebrand already knew what he meant. The exchange that followed was one of the most heartwrenching things Ohtaredam had ever participated in.

"Spread the word."

His captain's instructions still jostled about in his head.

They were going for the last stand, the last fight! They would defend the people as they had promised, to the death of themselves, if needs be! Ilisit would not have died in vain, nor any of the others. Ohtaredan's pace quickened, with anticipation this time.

[ September 10, 2003: Message edited by: The Ruling Ring ]
Old 09-05-2003, 11:51 PM   #187
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Laurel moved out of Cartil's Room and headed for her grandfathers room. She had not seen him in a long while.

She sat be his bed as he slept. She smiled at his peaceful expression. Her grandmother Rivwyn sat beside her and squeezed her shoulder gently.

'You look about to collapse my dear! Go and sleep!' she fretted, and inspected the cuts on her face and her dirtied bandage. Laurel didnt change her expression.

'I suppose I should. I think Ill stay here a little while longer. Will he wake up any time soon?'

The old man began to stir 'Ha...I knew I heard your voice granddaughter!' he croaked. He looked at her and frowned 'Rivwyn my love. Take her to the healers. She is exhausted. She needs somewhere to sleep'

Rivwyn slowly helped her to her feet, and Laurel didnt speak a word, but smiled and nodded at her grandfather.

She lead Laurel back to Cartil's room, and lead her to a cot at the far end. The Healer was still attending to Cartil. Lying down, she felt the pain in her leg come back with a steady flow, but she was too tired to make a sound. She heard her grandmothers voice as she walked beside the Healer, but it was muffled and strange.

Laurel closed her eyes and relaxed into the dirtied fabric of the cot, and hoped she would not have to wake up for a long while.
Old 09-06-2003, 02:32 PM   #188
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Jesslyn was a sweet girl, but she also had a lot of fire in her. Leena hoped that her brother was faring well. The priestess would hate for the young maiden to have to suffer the loss of someone so close.

Jess kept up a pretty constant set of chatter about random things, which suited Leena just fine, but several times a shadow would seem to pass behind Jess' eyes and the young girl would reflect for a moment before starting up another string of conversation.

All at once a healer rushed into the room startling the two ladies.

"Lady Jesslyn, I was sent to fetch you. You're brother's here."

At the beginning of the sentence Jess had looked worried, but at the end she gave a small whoop and quickly followed the healer out of the small room.

Leena smiled at the vanished girl and sat down on a bed to rest her feet and mind.

~*~

None of the wild men seemed to be following her specifically, though a few scouts had been sent out. Lanaey had heard them, but none came in her vision so she felt no compulsion to go and dispatch them.

As she neared the village Gorath came out of the trees on her right. He had been hiden till only a moment before, but Lanaey wasn't startled by his sudden appearance.

"It seems we got it off clean," Lanaey said to Gorath's backward glance.

He nodded but didn't say anything. Lanaey was fine with that and kept it till they had almost reached town when she spoke again.

"How's Cartil?" she didn't want to go in and disturb any reunions the fighter might be having. In fact, Lanaey didn't feel like really being with people at all for the moment.

"He'll live and fight again," Gorath glanced at Lanaey who nodded in reply.

The two mutually stopped near a house, still by themselves yet close enough if trouble started.

Lanaey didn't know if the dark Elf wanted to talk or if he was trying to decide on where to go next.

She spoke the first thing that came to her mind, wanting to talk for some reason that she didn't know of. "Where will you go when all this is through?"

He didn't look at her at first, but turned when he finally answered, "Home."

Lanaey didn't respond and they stood in silence for several more minutes bordering on a quarter of a hour.

"And you?" Gorath said.

Lanaey reflected for a moment before saying quietly, "I don't know."
Old 09-09-2003, 04:32 AM   #189
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Taralphiel watched the sea. She felt the sweet breeze move through the House. But she felt at a loss for her feeling of uneasiness. The House had been its emptiest in years. She felt the burden of history weigh upon her.

In her lap was an old care worn book. It was of the First Ages of Middle Earth, a gift from the Men of Gondor. She had used it to teach her children, and all children she met, of where they had come from. She had taught them of the first clans of Men, and of notable women, such as Haleth. She also taught them of Elendil and Isildur, and of the days when the world was not as it is. And then there was the history of the Elves, and the Dwarves, and all the other creatures of Middle Earth.

'Suddenly I dont feel so old' she said to herself and smiled. She ran her fingers over her worn chair, and hummed an old tune to herself.

'The hour is soon coming. They will prepare, and attack. It is in her hands. And I know she will do her best'

In all her musings she did not notice a small piece of paper lying stray on the floor. Thinking it must have fallen from somewhere, she opened the paper and her face fell.

'By Eru! I thought they had gone to the caves! They are out there on their own!'

Standing up, she moved quickly through the House, seeing if any maids were left. Fiona and Elena would be in great peril out in the woods on their own, and Taralphiel did not kknow how to help them, save travelling out herself.

'Eru guard them!' she fretted.

Annunfuiniel's post

The refugees of the Swan House reached the foot of the hills in the grey light of early evening. Before them the sheer slopes rose to heights beyond eye's reach, casting shadows that shrouded the forest behind them into sad colourlessness. Annunfuin glanced up, smiling a small, almost triumphant smile; We made it!

A grey shadow stood in the opening of one of the largest caves and watched people stream in and out, faces lined with fatigue but freed from despair. For the first time in a long while the Gondorian felt relatively relieved; things seemed to be in better shape than he had dared to even hope for.

For starters the caves were dry, their floors mostly covered with soft sand instead of bare stone. In the light of flickering torches Annunfuin stepped into the cavern and took in every detail of the surroundings. In the middle of the floor he observed a shallow pit lined with round stones; already one of the old men of the company squatted there, setting a fire. Neat stacks of dry wood were placed against the cave's left wall; Enough for days, Annunfuin concluded contently. Finally, in the farthest corner of their refuge the soldier found a mow of clean, dry straw, perfect for simple mattresses to make the wounded's rest a little more comfortable.

During this short inspection the Gondorian's lips curved into a knowing smile; the Lady Taralphiel's hand reached far and her influence was clearly to be seen even in this place in the borders of her realm.

"Sir?" A sudden question interrupted Annunfuin's musings.

"What can I do for you, Briana?" he questioned back, delighted to hear the familiar voice, and turned around to meet the young maiden's glance. But the girl's grave expression made his smile fade and quickly turn into a frown. "Is there something wrong?" he continued, worry colouring his tone though he tried to hide it.

"Yes, I believe so. It's miss Rian... Her sisters are missing."

Annunfuin's brows knitted even closer together as he conceived what the maid was talking about. "That can't be; they must be here somewhere! The House was emptied - and no-one lacked behind on the way here." But even as Annunfuin spoke he saw the weakness of his own logic:

"Unless they left before the evacuation was ordered..." the Gondorian foolishly spoke his thoughts out loud. Upon hearing his words Briana blanched and her eyes grew round as she whispered, quivering: "Then they could be anywhere - and all alone!"

Annunfuin took the girl's trembling hand into his own and pressed it, first sternly, then reassuringly: "Not a word about this to Rian! Just tell her I went to get her sisters." The doubt he saw flash in Briana's eyes was the same that his heart felt - but firmly he pushed this sensation aside and stepped out of the cave, the girl following close behind.

"Have you seen the elf Rudchamion?" Annunfuin turned to question the maiden before she left to find Rian.

"Last time I saw him he was there," Briana gestured towards a bend in a narrow trail on their right; "In the first cave just around that corner."

Annunfuin found the dark elf in the cave, organising the first night watch. The refugees' only hope rested in staying hidden, yet they had to know what was going on outside. See, but stay unseen... the Gondorian reflected instinctively as he watched Rudchamion deliver orders to the guards. First shift took their leave: a grey, bent man, leaning heavily on a staff which seemed to be his only weapon, and a boy, who had seen no more than fifteen summers, trying to appear a stern man but fear behind his eyes. Annunfuin's eyes saw of their steps before turning to face the elf.

"Rudchamion, a word with you..." he began and gestured the elf to follow him into the open air. "I had planned on staying here for the night - just in case…" Annunfuin could feel Rudchamion's dark eyes on him and he sought them in the gathering darkness to meet their gaze.

"The plan has changed." The elf quoth solemnly after a moment of silence. Annunfuin nodded and went on to explain 'why'. Just minutes later the two mounted their steeds and began a wild race back towards the Swan House.

They flew across the forest, Rudchamion in the lead and Annunfuin following blindly behind, trusting wholly on Fëadûr's instincts. The Wood seemed to be on their side still; it opened in front of them, it let them pass. Yet darkness was all over them as they finally were back at the Swan House. And the House was nothing but a darker shade against the grey, starless sky. Lifeless, abandoned it seemed; not a single flame in a window welcomed the travellers. Annunfuin dismounted Fëadûr, suddenly thankful of the darkness that veiled his pained expression and obvious limp. He managed to the arched doorway and leaned heavily on the cold wall.

There was a soft, chinking sound - a sound so familiar in the soldier's ear that he didn't even realize hearing it before his own blade was drawn. Steel flashed in the darkness.

"Step in and die cursed." The voice was cold and hollow like... Death! Death has come for me! Mad fear nearly took the Gondorian. But his nature wouldn't give in; the soldier inside didn't let the sword fall, he didn’t step back.

"This you won't take from me!" The voice croaked again – but this time there were anger and despair filling the dread emptiness. And Annunfuin understood.

"Swan Lady! This is friend not foe!" He backed a step from under the arch's shadow into the yard; "Friend of Alphirion." And even as Annunfuin spoke the moon suddenly broke free from the hold of the clouds, bringing its light to testify to the man's words. Rudchamion was now also there, standing beside the Gondorian, sword drawn from its sheath but resting on his side.

"Friend…" Lady Taralphiel's whisper echoed from the darkness. The Swan Lady seemed to come to their sight like from under the surface of black waters; slowly she departed from the shadows, as if unwilling to leave their safety, and stopped in front of them. Finally believing her own eyes she lowered her sword and sighed with relief; "Thank gods!"

Swords were sheathed and Rudchamion lit torches to lighten the darkness that had yet again thickened as the moon slid back to its hide behind the clouds.

"But what are you doing here? I thought you meant to stay there over night," Taralphiel questioned Annunfuin as the three moved into the House. Annunfuin began to tell her about the missing girls but she soon interrupted him: "Yes, they have left…for the Village, for their home. Foolish girls!" Annunfuin glanced at her, though he knew without looking that her words held more worry than blame. "No use to take after them now; in this darkness you would just ride past them. They are not stupid," Taralphiel continued, contradicting her own previous words so that Annunfuin couldn't help but smile; "They will seek refuge, they will hide…and they will survive." Annunfuin's smile was gone.

"From the bottom of my heart I hope so…" he spoke, staring at the flickering flames of his torch. They walked through the passages, Lady Taralphiel leading her guest to his room. Rudchamion wished them good night and left for his chamber on his own.

"I will ride out with the sunrise." Annunfuin addressed Taralphiel as they arrived at his door. "Rudchamion has agreed to stay here; You will not be left alone again." Annunfuin paused, then coughed uneasily; "And I'm sorry we scared You like that…"

Taralphiel's face hardened with these words, her eyes narrowing as she recollected their encounter; and as she spoke her voice was strangely distant:

"I was not scared; I was ready." But then her features relaxed and her lips curved to a sad smile; "But yet it wasn't my time to go… Good night, my friend; and fair rest to thee."

"Good night, M'lady…" Annunfuin whispered and watched as she drew away from him, silently like a ghost.

[ November 11, 2003: Message edited by: Taralphiel ]
Old 09-17-2003, 08:22 PM   #190
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

A nurse walked into the room to find a young maid warrior fast asleep on the floor. After getting another helper the nurse was able to lift her up into the bed she was next to. Once all the sheets were in place the nurse left quietly and shut the door, leaving the prietess alone.

~*~

It had been awhile since Lanaey had last regained her strength through sleep. After saying farewell to Gorath she headed off to the smaller house. There she found one of her young watchers taking a break.

"Find the Lady Laurel and tell her that if she wants to find me I'll be here."

The teen nodded and eagerly headed out to complete his newest charge.

Lanaey soon found an empty pallat in the midst of many full ones in what used to be a large sitting room of the house. Not taking off any of her weapons the Elf laid down and was soon asleep.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:51 PM   #191
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Laurel's eyes snapped open. She rubbed her face and shrugged off the hazy dreams. Her body had the dull ache that came with sleeping after walking and running for so long. But she knew she could be feeling worse. Feeling like Cartil. She saw her leg had been redressed, and wrapped much tighter. She sat up, and her leg felt much more comfortable, and she smiled wryly.

She dragged a crate by his bed and slwoly sat there. Jesslyn had fallen asleep beside him, with a peaceful smile on her face. Laurel wondered what it would be like to have a brother. She knew that if her parents were still with her, she would most likely have more than one sibling to talk to, and teach.

She saw Cartil move slightly, and watched him wake up...
Old 09-28-2003, 09:33 AM   #192
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Not even the throbbing, pulsating pain running through his veins could keep Cartil from sleeping the minute his head hit the cot. Exhaust had overwhelmed him, and yet he slept restlessly in the cot next to Laurel. He did not wake when Jesslyn came running into the room to see him, but instead continued to fight for the rest that he needed. Cartil wanted to talk to Jess, but the practicality inside him ordered him to sleep. Cartil had been isolated from all of them for so long without knowing what had happened to any of them. He wanted to tell her all he had been through, how worried and scared he had been. Not just for himself, but for her, for Laurel, for Lanaey and Leena and Thagon and…

Jesslyn had come as soon as the nurse had called for her, and had wasted no time in getting to the room. She rushed in, slightly disappointed to see that Cartil was sleeping and she would not be able to wake him up, but still overjoyed to actually be seeing him. Not only was she able to see him again, she was able to see him alive again. Jesslyn would not wake him, of course, for he needed his rest. But she wanted to be there for him when he woke up.

Jesslyn found a stool in the main room of the Healing House, and placed it next to Cartil’s bedside. Soon Jesslyn was asleep too, her head resting on the edge of Cartil’s cot. She inwardly promised herself that she would wake when Cartil did, so that she could talk to him, but Jess rested so soundly that she didn’t even hear Laurel come back into the room with a makeshift stool of her own. Jesslyn was soon swallowed up in joyous dreams that subconsciously cast a contented smile across her face. Dreams of her, Cartil, and her other siblings at home, happy…she completely and temporarily forgot the darkness of the present and the danger that the Wild Men had caused.

~*~

When Cartil finally did wake from his restless sleep, he woke to the sight of Laurel, green eyes weary but alive all the same. Cartil smiled and tried to sit up, but couldn’t and opted to just look up at Laurel from his laying position. Jesslyn, he soon noticed, was sleeping in an awkward way with her arms on the edge of the cot to support her head. Cartil had believed Laurel when she had told him that Jess was alive, but he was relieved to actually see her.

“Feeling better?” Laurel asked kindly, her voice scarcely above a whisper.

“Much better, surprisingly,” Cartil replied, nodding, with a grim smile on his face. He tried to sit up again, and fought the dull pain that had formerly been so prominent. Cartil did feel a lot better, for the pain was not as acute as it had been, but had instead steadied to a fading ache that would pass. His wounds were many, but the nurse had done well with the bandages and Cartil felt numb to the sting. Turning back to Laurel, Cartil asked, “What will we do now? How will we stop the Wild Men?”

[ September 28, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 09-30-2003, 03:06 PM   #193
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

A chill breeze blew through the trees and Elena huddles closer into her cloak. Well, Fiona's brother's cloak really. It was grease stained and dirty, but for once Elena didn't care. The shadows were drwaing in now under the forest and she was suddenly glad to have Fiona's mother close by. The girls had managed fine on their own, but it was nice to have adults to do the looking after again.

It had been scary in the barn too, seeing dark shadows coming out of corners and from behind stacks of hay. It had been a huge relief when the shadows had turned into Fiona's mother, brothers and some neighbours. It seemed their fathers were helping to fight the wild men, and they had hidden in the barn for safety. Elena was worried about her father but she knew he was braver than any twenty wild men. He would be fine.

She knew that she would be fine now, too. The old man from the big house had appeared that morning with other people, to accompany them to a safe place. Not the big house, which was a shame, but caves. Elena had surprised herself by feeling slightly excited instead of anxious. She would far rather be at home- Fiona's home, she amended hastily- and clean and warm but this might not be too bad. For a little while. She sighed suddenly, it seemed that once again everything was changing. Maybe this time it would be a good change?
the Forbidden Link
Old 10-04-2003, 12:02 AM   #194
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Laurel was woken by Cartil's question.She had almost fallen asleep there, and her aching body still craved rest. “What will we do now? How will we stop the Wild Men?”

Laurel stared at the ceiling and let out a breath. Stretching lightly, she pulled her hair back behind her ears, then managed an answer 'I can see no other way than to face them. So that is what I plan. A messenger has told me that Annunfuin and Rudhchamion are arriving here soon.. They have taken the people of the Swan House to safety. I plan on those in the Village to follow today.'

She looked back at Cartil and said 'And then we prepare. All who have the strength to fight will do so. We can only pray that is enough'

'What do you think of our chances?' she said after a pause

~*~

Cuor had followed Gita about, making sure that she did not move near Laurel, and it was beginning to tire him. So he retreated back to the sick house grumbling.

'That woman is getting to used to acting like a mild houskeep. I could kill her in her sleep' he grinned as he moved towards the grimy window of the Sick House. His smile turned into a snarl.

She was in there, bandaged and battered, but alive. Her face seemed to have a slightly unfamiliar expression, and he saw why. She was sitting beside a man, who could barely sit up by himself. He was injured, but the way he addressed her made his blood boil.

'It cannot be...this cannot happen' he murmured.

'What, praytell good Elf, cannot happen hm?' came a lilted voice from behind him.

~*~

The last day had been a long one for Herebrand. His army had come back, but he had lost a dear friend, and a good soldier. He had not even been in Alphirion a season and it had changed him. Now he longed for home, and for peace.

He sat, sliding a stone gently along his blade, all these thoughts tumbling about in his head. He had addressed his army, with his second in command at his side. And he did not know if he believed his own words.

'We must fight on' he had said 'We have taken a blow, and many that we have once drawn swords with, are now gone. But we must see what they fell for. Alphirion and its people must be kept safe. And it is up to us to do this, for the glory of our people, and for theirs. We must help them fight'

This had mustered his troops a degree, and Ohtaredan seemed to be filled with a slight of vigour. 'Sir, shall we get our supplies together? See what it is we have left, and perhaps gather what we can with the people?'

'Yes, get every man a good share of armour and weapons. There will not be a lack of those I feel. And we must get them all rested. If I have read the Lady Laurel's intentions aright, we will need strength. I plan to find her now. All of us need to meet and plan the fate of the Village, and the last stand'

Ohtaredan nodded, and turned back to take a check on the troops, and what each had, but before he did, he said 'Sir, you have given us all a little more strength. Thankye'

[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: Taralphiel ]
Old 10-10-2003, 04:16 AM   #195
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Galain looked at the sputtering Elf from behind his brother's back. They had come upon him unexpectedly and hadn't even taken out weapons yet. The younger brother didn't like the feel of this new Elf, he wasn't good in the heart or mind. He gave off a twisted aura that tried to bend the presences it touched. The evil Elf stood quickly and looked about almost spasmatically.

Galain whisked out his dagger just as the Elf turned and ran to the nearest part of the forest. As the younger brother started in pursuit Gorath put out his arm to stop him.

"He won't last long even with us following him, and Laurel needs to know about this. That one has many enemies," Gorath said, his eyes vainly following the out of sight quarry.

~*~

Lanaey had never woken so many times in one night. All the sudden and sporatic noises from the humans she slept amongst constantly kept her mind at alert. The aged Elf did manage to get enough sleep to last her for quite awhile, so she wasn't put out.

Something good had come of the morning so far, she had been able to do her first morning warm up in around a week. Being able to go into a mindless routine had a sense of peace to it. After the exercises Lanaey felt it prudent to bathe. It had been awhile since she had done that as well. She walked to the house she had slept in and asked a random villager where she could go to wash.

"Oh, that'd be the Bath House. It's by the forest, south side, close to the river that feeds it. You go in the west entrance, for women see?" said the kindly man.

"Thank you."

The old human waved his hand. "No, no, should be the other way around me thinks," he said with a wink as he edged off toward the food table.

Lanaey smiled as she headed out of the house and turned south.

~*~

Leena had let consciousness come back to her slowly. She didn't want to make her mind work; it'd come around in it's own time. Eventually she remembered everything, then she wondered how she had gotten into a bed.

It must had been one of the villagers. I'm glad, the position I was in would not have been kind on my back.

Stretching Leena scowled. It had been ages since she had last cleaned herself and she didn't like being gritty, grimy and above all sweaty. At least it gave her mind something menial to think about. Before she headed out she made sure the bed was tidy; it wouldn't do to show bad manners. There was a tiny bounce in her step as she walked out to inquire where she could clean up.

It turned out that this village had a bathing house, which would definetly help with things. River bathing was adequate, but a proper bath house is always better. The house turned out to be a wide, squat building with two doors, one distinctly for the men, which was the first door she came to. Walking around the building she found the correct entrance and was immediatly hit by the warm air. There was a main hall with several rooms on one side with tags saying "single," "small group," or "large group." There were two to three of the first two, then only one for the large room. The single rooms were occupied, and so was the first small group room. Leena managed to slip into the second available small group room. It was wonderful to slip into the clean water. The priestess started to immediately scrub herself vigorously anywhere she could reach.

~*~

Lanaey walked into the bath house and her nose automatically scrunched up until it could identify the new air.

The first several rooms seemed to be completely occupied, apartently the villagers loved to be clean. The second group room only had one person in there; not wanting to take up rooms from others Lanaey knocked on the door and called through asking if it was alright if she came in.

A sturdy "Yes" that seemed familiar came back through the door. Once she opened the door the Elf found out why the voice was familiar, it belonged to the recently returned Leena.

"Thank you for letting me share. I didn't want to take up another room," Lanaey explained as she undressed.

"I understand. There's plenty of water left. I changed it just a bit ago so it's mostly fresh."

Lanaey nodded and set about cleaning herself. Soon the two women were talking about the village, which changed to the wildmen, continuing on to deeper matters. Solace was found for both, even in matters they didn't think they needed comfort in.

~*~

"My, it's midday almost."

Leena snorted, "Well, I did turn into a prune in there."

At Lanaey's questioning glance the priestess help up her hand that showed her wrinkled finger tips. "They now look like prunes because of being in the water so long." At the Elf's incredulous look Leena burst out laughing which led to Lanaey first nodding her head in disbelief, then chuckling as the human's gail continued.

"Come on," the elf tried to put a stop to the continuous laughter. Lanaey's face just seemed to have been too much for Leena. "I want to talk to Laurel about what we're going to do now."

The eldar warrior managed to get the priestess to walk along, though her chuckles still brimmed with giggles at times. She seemed to have suppressed her outburst by the time they reached the main house. After asking a few of the people around they discovered that Laurel was sitting in the same chamber Cartil was being treated in.

Lanaey opened the door and walked right on in. She could hear a bit of their conversation through the door and so wasn't worried about waking the wounded diplomat.

Laurel had just spoken, "What do you think of our chances?"

"I think we'll manage and survive," Lanaey spoke as she walked in, completely startling the two humans. "Would you mind coming out and speaking with me for a moment?"

Laurel looked slightly puzzled as her gaze shifted between the man and Elf. "Yes," her edgy voice managed as she stood up. She smiled down at Cartil, "I'll be back later."

The soldier looked at her as she walked out with Lanaey and his eyes slightly clouded over.

~*~

Gorath looked into the window to see exactly what the strange Elf had been looking at. His demeaner seemed to darken a bit as he straightened and started to walk off to get to the front of the building.

Galain peeked through the window and saw Laurel leaving the room Cartil was bedded in. Jogging a few steps he quickly caught up to his older brother. They both met up with Laurel right as she came out of the building with Lanaey leading her and Leena trailing.

"We're going to discuss what's going to happen next, care to join us?" Lanaey barked out coming down the steps.

Gorath looked at Laurel, "That's fine, but I need to talk to you separately after."

Laurel simply nodded, knowing it would be explained in just a bit. She turned to Lanaey with her eyebrows raised, "Do you want to start?"

"Not particularly, you are the leader Laurel."

That response took the young human back a mental step. Lanaey was the one who brought this thing together, Laurel assumed she'd want to start it.

"Alright, here's what we have so far: a very weakened small army and us, basically. We saw their forces and they have quite a few nubmers on us. Any suggestions?" she looked around the small group each in turn.

Lanaey sighed inwardly. "We could run." The Elf knew that Laurel would never accept this course, but it had to be said. As the Elf maiden predicted, her leader looked shocked and said immediately "That is not an option!"

"Why don't we get everybody together for a meeting and pose options there. More heads, more ideas," Leena broke in.

Laurel nodded her assent, "That's a good idea. Let's have it tomorrow. I'll try to make sure everyone involved in decisions knows about it, but if you see someone you think should be there, don't hesitate to tell them either."

There were nods all around and Lanaey backed up a step. "That's fine. I think I'll go check on Drass," and with that short goodbye she left the group.

Leena nodded to the dark Elves and Laurel, then headed off without comment.

Laurel turned toward the brothers, "Now, what did you want to talk to me about?"
Old 10-12-2003, 05:44 PM   #196
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Cartil nudged his sleeping sister, trying to wake her up. She grumbled something under her breath and lifted her hand to wave Cartil away. Cartil grinned and gently shoved his sister off the edge of his cot, and Jesslyn fell to the ground with a loud thunk. She jolted awake, sitting bolt upright and glaring angrily at Cartil. The glare soon faded to a relieved grin, and Jess leaped forward to hug her brother.

"I'm so glad you're safe!" Jess murmured into his ear, though her voice was muffled by her own hair and the emotion in her voice. Cartil's grin spread to a wide smile, but he couldn't think of what to say to Jess. Soon, Cartil released himself from Jesslyn's embrace and grabbed her shoulders, and a serious look came over his face.

"Jess, I'll tell you what happened later, and you can tell me what you did later, but Laurel needs our help. I know we're only two people, but we can still help somehow," Cartil explained sadly to his sister, already predicting what she would say.

"But look at you! Look at me! You're half dead from starvation, and half dead from being beat by those Wild Men! Can you even stand? I know I can't without having my head start to spin! What good can we do?" Jess asked, instantly regretting her decision to argue with her brother that she had just been so happy to see alive moments before.

"We could..."

"We could what? We can't go get help, since we tried that and we brought back a weary half-army and it would take to long to find help. We can't do much personally, and not only are these Wild Men just plain stronger, they aren't as stupid as we thought they were!" Jess retorted, flailing her arms about to emphasize her point.

"Laurel's smart. All we have to do is listen to her, and we'll all think of something to outsmart the Wild Men..." Cartil suggested quietly, wishing suddenly that he had never mentioned the Wild Men or what they could do about them.

"You should rest," Jess pointed out, storming from the room and leaving the House. Outside she saw Laurel and the Elven brothers speaking, and since Jess didn't want to interrupt but she did want to speak with Laurel, she decided to wait for their meeting to finish.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:57 AM   #197
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

‘I think we’ll manage to survive’

Laurel jerked about to see Lanaey standing over her, looking rather urgently at her. By her fresh look, and fragrant smell, Laurel could tell she had found the BathHouse. She noted mentally that she should take a trip there herself. Seeing the Elf made her realise how tired and sore she was, and what a good soak would do.

‘Would you mind coming out and speaking with me for a moment?’ she asked her. Slowly standing, and looking at Cartil and the slumbering Jess, she said ‘I’ll be back later’

She was altogether taken aback when she left the Sick House to find Leena, Gorath and Galain standing waiting. All seemed very concerned, and Laurel did not blame them at all. But she was not expecting what was said to her. Gorath immediately stated he needed to speak separately with her, and this roused her curiosity. But she decided to deal with matters at hand first.

‘Do you want to start?’ she asked the Elf. The assessment was left to her. Stating it aloud seemed to further confirm her doubts. ‘Alright, here's what we have so far: a very weakened small army and us, basically. We saw their forces and they have quite a few numbers on us. Any suggestions?’ Lanaey was the first to say ‘We could run’ but Laurel did not let that thought pass any further through her mind. ‘That is not an option’ she started.

‘Why don't we get everybody together for a meeting and pose options there. More heads, more ideas’ said Leena suddenly. Laurel agreed with this thought, and set the time for tomorrow. ‘More time to think on what to do’ she said inwardly. As the Elf and the Gondorian woman left, she looked towards the brothers ‘Now, what did you want to talk to me about?’

Gorath did not mix his words at all ‘We came across an Elf, looking into that window, watching you and the boy Cartil. He was dangerous, both look and spirit. He means you and us all harm. He ran away before we could ask him any thing. We decided it better to tell you, than have after him’ he stopped for a moment ‘Do you know him?’

‘I do’ said Laurel quickly ‘His name is Cuor, and he is an evil creature’ Laurel thought on it for a moment.

‘Now I understand!’ she said, almost as an outburst that seemed to take the two back.

‘I will explain. He came to the Swan House, badly hurt, almost to Mandos said my grandmother. She cared for him and brought him back to health, but she regretted she did. She told me he was not a right sort. She warned me to stay away from him, not to talk to him. His words had evil workings…’ she paused, working her memory from fatigue.

‘There used to be guards set on watch about the House. That was when we could spare willing men. They found him, standing over my bed, saying odd things. They took him to my grandmother. She told him never to come back here, or suffer great pain. She told him she knew, I did not understand what she meant by it. He said she would not rule here forever. Then he was gone’

‘I think he meant that clearly. I think it possible that he has told the Wild Men where to find the House! I think that he has told them when we are the weakest, and continues to do so!’

‘Then we should not have let him go?’ asked Galain

‘No. He does not know we know his plans just yet. If we...if I find him...he will regret his actions. I will tell everyone at the meeting tomorrow of this. I thank you for telling me’ she said to the brothers. They nodded and were soon gone.

It was then that Laurel saw Jesslyn. She looked as tired and as worn as herself, but a smile was on her face. Laurel moved over and said. ‘You look as though you wish to talk Jess. And if you are as dirty and tired as I am, in need of a good bath as well. Shall we talk on the way?’
Old 10-31-2003, 01:14 AM   #198
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Drass was well rested and even ready for a short ride, which Lanaey provided. They rode around the town, checking on random things, not really looking for anything specific. At times they would ride fast, making the wind whip their hair back. At these times Lanaey might lean in toward Drass' neck so that they almost became one being in the ride.

After a time Lanaey brought Drass to a slow walk and finally a stop. They were at a house, burned and fallen. Unlivable. Nothing could directly be made out of the mess except some walls, a roof, and a bit of hearth. No people suffered in this house hopefully, but there was no guarantee.

Lanaey had started feeling more of a connection to this village, people and land. To see the house burned was as painful in her eyes as a small forest or lake being ruined beyond recognition.

The eld Elf quickly mounted and started back to Drass' temporary home.

~*~

"We could still track him. I doubt he went far," Gorath spoke as soon as they were out of Laurel's presence.

"No, I don't think he did; however, she only wants action if he shows again," Galain spoke of Laurel as he took out some dried meat and began chewing it, handing some to his younger brother.

"Laurel wants him."

Galain looked off toward the forest, squinting as if to see the hidden foe. "Yes."

~*~

Leena had almost forgotten about all the pain she had stored in her, but the hot tears flowed as soon as she was alone. At first she was shocked, then she remembered about Thagon. The priestess put her hands up to her face and silently shook in her grief.

After several minutes she straightened and wiped her face till all of the betraying tears were gone. Such loss of control would not do. Mentally she shut down the sadness and put it aside so that it could filter out.

Stretching a bit to get the blood flowing she headed out to find people to tell the meeting about, giving herself a task to focus on.

Soon, she approached someone she recognized from the journey to the village, but she couldn't remember the name that went with the face...
Old 11-06-2003, 04:05 PM   #199
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Jess smiled at the thought of a nice bath, to clean her wounds and the sweat of deadly hard work away. But nagging at the back of her mind were her sharp words towards Cartil. Jess turned and looked at Laurel as they walked, wondering how she should phrase her question.

"Laurel..." Jess began, and Laurel looked over at her, nodding patiently but wearily. Jess sighed and shook her head before continuing. "Laurel, I've got to go take care of something, and I'll catch up with you in a few minutes."

Laurel furrowed her brow, a question in her eyes as she nodded and continued towards her destination. Jess ran off in the opposite direction, towards the entrance nearest her brother's cot and room. The inside of Alphirion's refuge was humid and smelled terribly of clotting blood, rotting limbs, and salty sweat. Jess almost got lost getting to her brother's room, her head beginning to spin again.

"I'msorry! Ididnotmeantoyellatyouandbesoharsh and," Jess spoke quickly, blending her words together and taking no breaths in between. It took her a while to notice that Cartil was not the only one in the room. Hunching over his bed was a healer, tending to and re-wrapping all of his wounds. Jesslyn blushed, and looked away, mumbling an apology to the young woman helping her brother.

The young healer soon finished tending to Cartil, and walked out smiling and nodding a goodbye to Jesslyn and her brother. When the woman was gone, Cartil grinned widely. The only thing that kept him from laughing was the pain and ache that would ensue if he did so. Jesslyn blushed again, and glared in mock anger at her brother as she walked over to him.

"I'm sorry," Jesslyn murmured slowly, collapsing into the seat next to Cartil's cot. Cartil blinked wearily, fighting to stay awake as he nodded in reply to his sister.

"I know, I know," Cartil replied, smiling as he tugged on one of his sister's locks of dirty black hair. He looked blankly at the doorway that led out of the room, and sighed. "But you should have a little faith in Laurel. We will make it through this. She got us this far, after all, didn't she? Now, go bathe or something, because you stink of dry blood and flesh!"

Jess laughed and left her brother once he fell asleep, leaving the room and heading for the room Laurel had been going before Jess had taken her leave. She found Laurel looking through cupboards for soaps and towels, to no avail as most of those items had been used on the sick and wounded.

"Laurel..."

"Yes?" Laurel turned, and sighed in some sort of slight relief when she saw Jesslyn.

"What are we going to do now, exactly? What can I do to help?" Jesslyn asked, eyes bright as she was ready to help.

[ November 06, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 11-06-2003, 07:37 PM   #200
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"What are we going to do now, exactly? What can I do to help?"

Laurel looked at Jesslyn, who looked a little out of breath. Laurel smiled at her and said 'Well, lets have a good soak and I can tell you after. I do not know about you, but my mind is very foggy at the moment'

Both found that there were few rooms left for bathing, and were left with the joint bath for bathing. Laurel slowly slipped into the deep hot water up to her throat, and felt her muscles and bones sigh with relief.

The water had been scented with what was left from the fields, and a refreshing smell of lavender hit her nose and cleared her mind.

'What will happen?' she thought to herself 'I now know how are enemy has a clear advantage, but what can I do about it?' She thought about the sickening dark Elf, and shuddered. 'He will be stopped' she thought as she tried to concentrate. Finally she got her words into a sensical string, and spoke up to Jesslyn, who looked like she was almost asleep in the soothing water.

'Jesslyn, I do understand why you feel the way you do. If I were in your boots, I would feel the same. You believe we cannot win...'

'But we have come up with a sort of plan. There will be a meeting tomorrow to decide it exactly. We have the remaining Rohirrim, and the Swan House is emptied, its occupants in a cave away from harm. I plan on making a last stand for our Village and home'

'Jesslyn, I ask for your help. I ask for your brothers help as well. You have great courage, and that is what we need now'

Laurel stopped and leant her head back against the side of the bath, and waited to a word from her companion.