The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
random elf 800

White Tree What important scenes were missed out of the movies?

I know that LOTR is a hell of a lot to fit into 9-and-a-half hours, or even, what, 12? hours for the extended trilogy, but i was so disappointed not to see Eomer's coronation and Eowyn and Faramir's wedding.

What does everybody else think? What else do you feel was missing?
Old 10-21-2005, 04:47 PM   #2
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Palantir-Green

It is 12 houres, I saw the extended versions yesterday! It was fun, now for a Star Wars marathon. YAY !

I would like to see the conspiracy beeing unmasked, showing Merry and Pippin's personaletys.

Off course there is the whole Tom Bombadil thing!

I allso think that the meeting with Gildor, is a part of the development of Frodo and Sam's personaleies.

Most important I miss The wole Scouring of the Shire, mostley because it shows how much, the hobbits have developed!
Allso there is the scene where Saruman get's killed and the mist is rising and first wavered, to the west; but a cold wind dissolved it. That would have been a great scene.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
Gothmog
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Gothmog
Yes, the Scouring of course. And I really hoped for a better scene of Saruman getting killed than the one offered in the original version, but the extended only- that's right, extended it. The barrowdowns, as a result of introducing Tom Bombadil. And Rune has already written everything important I think

Then there's the huge discussion about what we DIDN'T want to see but had to anyway, but that belongs to this thread.

The movies aren't quite 12 h, are they? Somewhat shorter I think, like 11h 40 min or something. I saw them together too And like Rune, we're going for a Star Wars marathon soon.

I could have made a copy of Rune's post as well as posting this, as it turned out...

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom
~Lurker...
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:21 AM   #4
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
not quite sure whether this belongs on here, but the movies show Arwen rescuing Frodo after Weathertop, whereas it was actually Glorfindel in the book. also, where was Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth? and the Grey Company, Aragorn's fellow Dunedain? and all the others that marched to Minas Tirith in its hour of need. enough said really. i dont think that Peter Jackson liked the race of Men form the books really, probably because all other races else looked better on screen.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Glorfindel...would've been cool to see.
The journey home, and the Scouring.
Cornering Saruman in Orthanc.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:43 AM   #6
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Not much to add to the above, but some small detail: I would like more to have been made of Merry & Pippin's extra height. It's related to their growth as characters, and I suppose inherently tied in with the missing Scouring section, but still, they seemed the same height as Sam and Frodo at the end, which didn't ring true.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #7
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I wasn't too bothered by the omission of the scouring of the shire. It would have been a bit of an anti-climax and I seem to recall there were quite a few complaints about the 'multiple endings' to RotK.
Most of the scenes that I missed most in the theatrical versions were put back in the extended dvds. However, I still think that Saruman was not given enough screen time in the last film and just finding the Palantir lying in the water, without any explanation about how it got there was a bit of a wasted opportunity.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:19 PM   #8
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
I really enjoyed the movies as they were, but one scene that had tremendous inpact much later on in the book was that of the barrow downs. I believe that it was Gandalf who said that Merry was able to hurt the Witch King because of his barrow blade. I believe that he said that with any other blade he would not have been able to give him the original hurt.
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:31 AM   #9
Ardeth Bay
Newly Deceased

Ardeth Bay has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

The only part i really missed was the muster of Gondor before the battle of Pellenor Fields

Where was Imrahil, Forlong the fat, Hirluin, Derufin, and all the others that came to the aid of Minas Tirith.

And who was that guy they called Irolas-was he supposed to take imrahil's place
Ardeth Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:55 PM   #10
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I wrote this in my xanga a few weeks ago

I was thinking yesderday about how the movie producers handled the love story of Faramir and Eowyn. I feel they downplayed it too much. Had I never read the story for myself I am not sure I would have known thet they ever really fell in love or married. I was expecting to hear from Faramir " Then I will say, Eowyn of Rohan, that you are beautiful ." I got an explanation of spring rain and an embrace. The whole dialogue of Faramir taming a shieldmaiden from the north and Eowyn's speech about how she will no longer be a shieldmaiden but a healer is such a golden, yet oft tragically overlooked, part of the book . One of the best parts in the whole saga is when Faramir and Eowyn kiss while standing atop the wall in front of everyone! You would think with all the gratuitous (and at times unnecessary) kissing scenes between Aragorn and Arwen they could shove one kiss of Faramir and Eowyn in there. Their kiss in the story is the culmination of two people who have lived their whole lives with hardly a semblance of love from anyone who finally discover somone they love who truly loves them in return . Yes, I am dissatisfied and you can tell Peter Jackson I said so.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:40 AM   #11
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
I was dissapointed Gildor wasn't in the movie.
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:49 PM   #12
Letty
Animated Skeleton

Letty has just left Hobbiton.
The scene when Saruman talked to Aragorn,Gandalf and Theoden.
And the feast in Rivendell.
And Gandalf`s letter to Frodo in "The Prancing Pony".
Letty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:52 PM   #13
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
*mutters out loud* Curse you PJ! Curse you for allowing Arwen to knock out Glorfindel, hide him in a bush and take his horse!! Curse you!!!! *Looks quickly around* Ummm...I...uhhh...*runs away*
Old 05-29-2006, 12:15 PM   #14
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The scenes that I would have liked to have scene in the extended editions would have been the ones that involves Tom Bombadil and when the hobbits pass the barrow-downs and would also liked to have seen the scouring of the shire.