The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Men of Dale

I was wondering if anyone knows who the people who lived in Dale were related to. Like the Rohrrim were related to the Edain.
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Like the Rohrrim were related to the Edain.
Funny you should mention them but the Dalemen were related to the Rohirrim.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:00 AM   #3
Aquarius the King

And the Beornings...
Old 04-14-2005, 08:19 AM   #4
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
well the Rohirrim did originally live up north, around where the men of Dale lived, when Gondor called for their aid and gave them land, a majority moved south and lived what is now called Rohan. read the appendices on Eorl the Young, there is more info on it there.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:47 AM   #5
luthien-elvenprincess
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: what are you doing here? did you come here to eat my popcorn?
luthien-elvenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
According to a reference book of mine, the people of Dale traced themselves back to the Edain. They along with others who did not go to Numenor were called "Men of the Twilight" or "Middle Peoples". Others in this group were the Rohirrim, Northmen, Beornings, Woodmen, and others living in the Vales of Anduin.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:43 PM   #6
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Re:

Yes, the Edain were the first of men, folks like Barahir, Beren, and that bunch of fellows who got involved with the wars between the Elves and Morgoth.

The Dale-men (and surrounding areas like Laketown), and the Rohirrim were descended from a long line from those original men, but none were more closely descended than the Beornings.

Likewise, I think the Dunlanders were descended, perhaps from the traitors, the dark Edain who stabbed the Eldar and the Edain in the back, the 'original easterlings' (who weren't really from that far east). After the remnants fled (if any did ... I can't really remember) from the lost battle, they may have settled in the lands west of the Gap of Rohan.

As for the folks of Bree, while they may have been related to the Dunlanders, they never left Bree, never were involved in any treachery or anything, and never fell into shadows, so to speak. They're just, Bree-folk. They always have been.

The Edain, the special ones who helped elves out, obviously were taken to Numenor and became the Dunedain.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 06:21 PM   #7
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
keep in mind that the men weren't classified as evil and good, there were those that didn't travel to Beleriand, they could've just stayed in ME and fell under the influences when Beleriand sank...