The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-21-2003, 12:23 AM   #1
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Sting Um Plot Loophole

Okay, the movie has been on my mind since I saw it and I think I have<BR>come up with a slight plothole. Okay you know at the beginning of the<BR>movie how Gandalf says to Aragorn "How do we know Frodo is alive?"<BR>Yet later in Minas Tirith after the Battle of the Pelennor Fields,<BR>when they're all talking Gandalf said something about "Frodo has<BR>moved beyond my sight..."<P>So my question is: If Gandalf could "see" Frodo right up he and Sam<BR>entered Mordor, then why did he ask Aragorn "How do we know Frodo is<BR>alive?"
Old 12-21-2003, 12:38 AM   #2
randomhobbit42

Ring

I thought that the RotK movie was a big dissapointment at first because i thought that PJ would end it in the same way as the books. He didnt. They were similar, but he left out key parts. However, I think that he will do the books justice when he releases the extended version. It has been told that it will include the scouring of the Shire, Saruman's death, and the House of Healing. <BR>If I had not read the books beforehand I would have thought the movie a bigger success than it was. So, if you havent read the books, watch the movies first. Then read the books.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:38 AM   #3
Tricia

Sting

Hmmm... maybe Gandalf's sight is limited, and blocked out when Frodo is in mortal peril so Gandalf doesn't stray from his purposed path...
Old 12-21-2003, 07:04 AM   #4
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Maybe Sauron has some kind of dark magic protecting Mordor, which blocks out the vision of the Wise. This would prevent Gandalf from seeing Frodo as he entered the dark lands, as you have pointed out.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:59 AM   #5
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>It has been told that it will include the scouring of the Shire<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, the Scouring of the Shire was never filmed.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:41 AM   #6
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, when Gandalf comes back in Fangorn he says in the Book that Frodo has moved beyond his sight. He doesn't even know Sam is travelling with Frodo until Aragorn (or one of the others) tells him in Fangorn.<P>I doubt it's the enemy blocking him, as Frodo was only in the hills of the EMyn Muil then, quite a distance from Mordor...more likely it's simply that Frodo os physically too far away from them for them to be able to help or tell what is going on anymore.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:25 AM   #7
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

I noticed this too and have been wondering about it. <BR>The conclusion that I came to was that Gandalf was just musing to Aragorn, even though he felt Frodo's presence his sense for him was weakened due to the lands in which he was traveling, he was just thinking out loud to Aragorn and when asked what he thinks, Gandalf immediatly says that, yes, he does believe Frodo is still living. Then later when Frodo has passed completely into Mordor Gandalf cannot sense him, maybe due to how dark and evil the place is.<BR>That's my theory anyhow...
Old 12-21-2003, 01:25 PM   #8
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

The two statements aren't necessarily inconsistent. When Gandalf says that "Frodo has moved beyond my sight" it doesn't have to mean that it only happened *just then* and that up till now he did have Frodo in his sight. At the beginning, when he says that they don't know if Frodo is alive, it's implied that he's out of Gandalf's sight. Later on, the second line just reiterates that fact for emphasis, it's just phrased a somewhat different way.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:21 PM   #9
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Yes, movieGandalf was still able to sense that Frodo was alive and well. But he forgot to check his heart before Aragorn told him . It's like when you lose your car keys and someone reminds you to check your pocketses. <P>Of course the fact that Gandalf didn't need to worry anymore completely undermined the later scene when Faramir confirms he has seen the hobbits. Surely PJ could have left Gandalf in doubt just a little while longer. But then, I suppose the 28 takes they did of the shot with Aragorn speaking to Gandalf would have been wasted.<P>PJ stated that he wanted Gandalf to be a bit unsure in this film, a bit worried and not completely perfect. Why he chose to shoot himself in the foot and give Gandalf the ability to sense Frodo in South Ithilien, I shall never know.