The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #81
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I haven't been neg repped. Am I not trying hard enough?
Old 11-16-2006, 11:36 AM   #82
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
You're being too serious, Di - you need to be sillier...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #83
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
there is a simple way of confirming suspicions...
Why bother? If the rep was important enough for me to pay attention to, it would have been signed. Since it wasn't, I can only surmise that it was a tongue-in-cheek comment approving my fictional skills, and that the truly careless repper accidentally hit negative instead of positive. And if I can't trust an apparently high-ranking member of the 'Downs to know which button to push, how can I trust his or her critical judgment? Yes, I thought so...

Not worth the effort.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:01 PM   #84
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
You're being too serious, Di - you need to be sillier...
It will be difficult, but I shall try.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:08 PM   #85
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Actually, it's a shame that the character roles disappeared so quickly, were almost non-existent. I could have had such fun with the milkmaid identity - see the beginning of the notorious 'Revenge of the Entish Bow' for previous milkmaid writing...

*Merisuwyniel peeks around the corner
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-16-2006, 12:13 PM   #86
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Actually, I purposefully did not chose a role this game, so that I could play the role of Diamond exclusively.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #87
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Diamond is a girl's best friend, eh?!
Old 11-16-2006, 12:20 PM   #88
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
I've been neg-repped also. It would appear my narratives are causing quite the stir. For my unidentified critic: Yes.
Seriously?! "Yes" is your answer??!!

Oh, joy of joys! You won't regret this Fea! I'll give you the biggest wedding ever!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DI
Please, try to have some patience. I can only give out so many reps in one day. I'll try to get around to you tomorrow. Thursday is my day for neg-repping all the admins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Actually, it's a shame that the character roles disappeared so quickly
I'm still in character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
there is a simple way of confirming suspicions
I really don't think torture is the answer here.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #89
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
Perhaps on a random game, it is simply a random response and there's nothing you can do to encourage receiving one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
Seriously?! "Yes" is your answer??!!

Oh, joy of joys! You won't regret this Fea! I'll give you the biggest wedding ever!!
And so the game, like all true comedies, will end with a marriage. But how random is that?

Sorry for butting in. Another one of those random, spontaneous outbursts.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:32 PM   #90
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

*gasp*

I do believe I've solved the case!

Our villain has made one of the most common criminal mistakes...

Returning to the scene of the crime!

I can't believe it took me this long to see it. It's Beth! She's the neg-rep culprit!

++Bêthberry

Lynch her quick, before she reps again!
Old 11-16-2006, 05:16 PM   #91
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Actually, it's a shame that the character roles disappeared so quickly, were almost non-existent. I could have had such fun with the milkmaid identity - see the beginning of the notorious 'Revenge of the Entish Bow' for previous milkmaid writing...
You should join one of the rpg-style games Estelyn! We had one this fall and it was actually really nice! At least I loved it...

And just a comment on this neg-rep -issue (sorry to be the bore again): I just don't see how it might ever be defendable to neg-rep anonymiously. I just can't see the justification. If someone has a grudge over someone, let her/him stand for her/his words and come out into the open.

Looking at the players list I'm though inclined to think it's a joke I just can't see the point of.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #92
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm spending tomorrow in class and in a car, but before I can go home, I need to finish my homework and pack. Therefore I started Day early.

Feel free to post. This is purely for my convenience. Starting Day two hours early will not affect the end time.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #93
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Just to let everyone know starting about 11 hours from now I will be completely gone for several hours, but I will be (should be, anyway) back for the latter part of the day.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:29 AM   #94
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom

I really don't think torture is the answer here.
No torture is required ... just the ignore list....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:37 AM   #95
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I sincerely hope you guys don't need me for anything today... classes blocked from nine to one, followed by a few hours in the car. Don't know when, exactly, I'll be near a computer again. Certainly tonight, but timing-wise? Yeah... no clue.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #96
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
++Bêthberry
*puts on very best Sally Field voice*

You love me, you love me, you really do! (There! That's three)

Two votes for lynching someone not even in the game? That's got to be some kind of record for WW, but of course thoroughly in keeping with randomised game.

I'm quite surprised, though, to see phantom join the ranks of those who try to draw Bb into WW. I wouldn't have expected him to bother. And I see Spm keeps referring to my intrusion on the game thread. So I'm toying with ideas on how to reply.

Should I begin a WW analysis like I see you all doing on the game thread?

Let's see; shall I try Esty's balliwick of compliment and praise? "Oh, Phantom, I'm thrilled! It is a great pleasure to bask in the glow of your august regard." Naw, I see where that kind of thing has got Esty toDay (see, I've even learnt WW spelling now)--posting madly to prove her innocence and thereby increasing her visibility. Or should I delete this and maintain a low profile, like Kath? Or do I go for loud bluster like Ang--he who first fingered the wolf yesterDay (I think)? 'Oh what ho and tally ho and bob's your parrot?" Oops, no, alas and alack I fall into Python mode. Like Di, shall I too point out my complete innocence--after all, I've never played a game and so I am-insert applicable latin tag here to impress the loyer and Ang--an innocent. But I inadvertently posted on the game and drew all this attention to myself. *gasp* does that make me a wolf? Should I channel all my energies into a Roa-like analysis of my three fleeting posts? What? and risk discovering what a bore it is to reread some of my stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom
Lynch her quick, before she reps again!
Oh, there's a likely strategy! Lynch me so I won't be able to rep at all--not even positively!

Honestly, don't you guys have any RL things to do? I'm even beginning to imagine a SpM speaking before the Judge in WW mode--and worse yet, to imagine that staid British judge, complete with his silly wig, answering him, as a wolf.

Must grab ahold of myself before this goes any farther....
Old 11-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #97
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Maybe I'm already too far gone....

On the game thread, SpM posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Lady
The village slept, and the unhappy spirits slept uneasily in their graves, and the gravedigger dreamt of his death, and in his dream a child screamed, and a red-haired man looked blindly to his past, and a hound howled; and they returned to him, and a woman wept; and he heard the faint tap dance of rolling dice.
This leapt out at me from the narration of our gravedigger’s death. Not sure if it means anything, but if there are clues to be found they may be here. Any red-haired men present?
Why the sound of rolling dice? Wasn't the Evil Moddess going to roll dice if the wolves picked different people or if the villages produced a tie? And with just one wolf, there shouldn't be any dice? And why does Spm raise this point but not answer it?

I think I'm missing sumthin.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:24 PM   #98
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Again, I can't promise punctual internet access. I miss my computer already.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:09 AM   #99
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

[Bones voice]She's dead, Jim.[/Bones voice]
Old 11-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #100
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Ok, apology time, and I'll reiterate it in the other thread later. I didn't post yesterday due to an extremely long and complicated train journey that should have taken 3 hours at most and took close on 6. I hopped on here quickly intending to post, but was then distracted by Children in Need. Meant to come back around halfway through when they start repeating everything but just completely forgot.

I know, I'm being completely useless this game. If I don't turn up tomorrow lynch me, it'll serve me right and might teach me a lesson for future games.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:53 AM   #101
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
[Bones voice]She's dead, Jim.[/Bones voice]
Hehe... I totally said that yesterday. I was being a Star Trek nerd amongst some professors and one happened to be named James...

[/random thought moment]

On ToNight: let me know, 'k?
Old 11-18-2006, 08:38 PM   #102
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
*gasp* No sooner do I dies than recieve an unsigned neg-rep! Mysteries of mysteries!

*remembers that ghost can't talk* I'll shut up now.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:21 AM   #103
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This anon neg repping is verging on a hate campaign ..... ... beyond belief really...

Old 11-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #104
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

So I've been invited out for some quality Bonding time with my big brothers tonight. We're seeing Casino Royale, I do believe.

Since I'm not turning down the opportunity, rest assured that there is every chance I won't be around at 10:00. I'll post ASAP after the 10PM deadline, but I don't know when it will be. Apologies in advance...
Old 11-19-2006, 04:21 PM   #105
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
This anon neg repping is verging on a hate campaign ..... ... beyond belief really...
The neg-repper affirmed me it is a joke... in a neg-rep, to be sure.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #106
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I don't see where the joke is ... unless they also find it funny to ring people's doorbells and run away....

Old 11-19-2006, 04:31 PM   #107
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
The neg-repper affirmed me it is a joke
Oh... I get it now! Ha ha ha ha!

That's a good one!
Old 11-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #108
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

How amusing. Remind me to thank the person for a truly inventive way of securing my laughter.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:32 PM   #109
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

I've joined the club, I feel so special. But there goes my squeaky clean reputation.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:02 PM   #110
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Since our mod is gone, let's get into trouble on the game thread by continuing to yap after hours. I mean, if we behave all by ourselves, then that would mean we didn't need a mod, which would make Fea feel pretty useless.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:07 PM   #111
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Wrong. I'm here. I feel useful. Behave and I might give you a cookie.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:11 PM   #112
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Anguirel, if you're still around, PM me and we'll have a brief chat before I post.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #113
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
I don't see where the joke is ... unless they also find it funny to ring people's doorbells and run away
Oh, yes, that's a classic joke. It's especially good when the person is in the tub.

And Nog, Di- you were repped? But you're living! I thought only the dead were getting those things. Is no one safe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di
But there goes my squeaky clean reputation.
What, you've never been negged before? You poor thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady of non-light
Behave and I might give you a cookie.
I behaved.

Cookie please.

And also- is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a bit of a Shakespeare thing going on in the narrative? At least I think it's Shakespeare that I'm reminded of. Could be Twain though. It's hard to tell those two apart.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #114
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mind you ... worse than people ringing the door bell and running away is people ringing it and wanting you to change your utilities supplier or join a cult or demanding sweets with menaces (trick or treating .... why must British children adopt such Americanisms when there is the far more wholesome home grown activity of getting money on return for making an effigy to be burnt ... I don't know what is the world coming too... ) and so forth

Old 11-20-2006, 12:00 PM   #115
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
And also- is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a bit of a Shakespeare thing going on in the narrative? At least I think it's Shakespeare that I'm reminded of. Could be Twain though. It's hard to tell those two apart.

Hate to think what they didn't teach youin school. There has been a lot of Shakespeare but I think we may have gone earlier for Ang - seemed more Chaucerian to me.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #116
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Hate to think what they didn't teach youin school. There has been a lot of Shakespeare but I think we may have gone earlier for Ang - seemed more Chaucerian to me.
The phantom's cookie has been revoked, just as he knew would happen if he compared Shakespeare to Twain in my line of sight.

And Ang, literary scholar as his role declared, was graced with some Chaucer, a bit of the story of Tristram and Isolde... there's a bit of Beowulf in there... and I'll be hanged if I can remember what else snuck its way in last night.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:14 PM   #117
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The ghost speaks

It was beautiful, m'lady. The only problem is I'm unsure who I'm supporting now...I hope, anyway, that there is a chance of redemptive grace for your Ladyship should the village prove triumphant.

In the meantime, I love you.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:32 AM   #118
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Ok, I have a grand total of an hour to post today because I'm off to see Muse which involves much travelling, meeting people, more travelling, getting lost and so on. My vote will come extremely early so my apologies.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:26 AM   #119
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

My turn has come.

My melodramatic rant against blind justice earned me a neg rep.

Not sure how many points, but I assume that it's the same person.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #120
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

My second post today got one. It said "full of sound and fury". Very accurate description of my post, I must say.