The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-30-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Boots The Old Forest

I have a dilemma. In my Trilogy class (*smugly thinks how lucky I am*) there are a few Resident Wizards. We know more about the books than everyone else, but the problem is, if we have a question, nobody else can answer it. And if we involve characters that give away the plot in the question, we lose average points.

My question concerns the Old Forest (that's the chapter that we are on now). It claims that the queerest part of the forest is the Withywindle valley, and that the valley is where all of the queerness comes from. What makes that part of the forest the queerest? Bombadil? He's weird yeah, but you wouldn't think that he could eminate that kind of aura. Any ideas?
Old 09-30-2003, 05:31 PM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

It's because that's where Old Man Willow, the source of evil power in the Old Forest, has his roots.

My Complete Tolkien Companion (not definitive admittedly, but generally pretty reliable) states:

Quote:
The chief peril of the Old Forest lay in the malevolent influence exerted over its trees by the Great Willow which, from earliest times, was able to dominate the Withywindle valley, and eventually came to control almost the entire forest.
The Old Willow's influence over the trees of the forest ensured that all who wandered in it came to him.

It does make me wonder, though, how Farnmr Maggot was able to visit Tom Bombadil. Perhaps he was protected in some way by Tom.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:57 PM   #3
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

While you can't use this to explain, it's just like treebeard said in his chapter: there are deep dark dells in which the sun never rises and trees are rotten to the core. The old forest would be an example of a large region like that.

Iarwain
Old 10-01-2003, 04:52 PM   #4
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Why thank you my friends, now I can share the information wealth with the other 3 people in my class who have finished the books (multiple times) and were also curious.

Coincidentally, has Old Man Willow always been evil? Or did that sort of happen to him somehow? Because if he was once good, then the Old Forest would have been surrounded in a good aura, correct?

Fea
Old 10-03-2003, 10:45 AM   #5
tom bombariffic
Wight

tom bombariffic has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

OOhhhh there are lots of lovely Bombadil&Old forest topics around at the moment aren't there? Well its understandable, he has yellow boots for one thing.

Anyway, as far as I know (but dont quote me on this), Old man Willow is as much of an Enigma as Tom, although it is often argued that he could be a Huorn, as he posesses a lot of their characteristics, perhaps one that travelled with the Entwives when they left if they did head for the Shire as is hinted.

But as for the original Withywindle quesiton, I would just add that Goldberry, Tom's wife, is the river-daughter, and the river is presumably the Withywindle, as it is the main (only?) river in the forest, and it is where Old Tom meets her in "The adventures of Tom Bombadil".
Old 10-03-2003, 11:00 AM   #6
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Old Man Willow could also be bitter towards all intruders in the forest because his "dominion" over those lands was taken away. Especially when the Brandybucks burned a path into the forest and a clearing, many trees (under Old Man Willow) probably hated them.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 11:27 AM   #7
Eldar14
Wight

Eldar14 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eldar14
Tolkien

I'm just conjecturing, but wouldn't it be possible that Old Man Willow is one the trees that act more like Ents that Treebeard mentioned. And if that's so, it could make sense for him to be bitter. As he awakened, he had no guidance from Ents, and in his intellectual solitude amongst a bunch of trees, he would naturally become bitter over that ages.

And about Farmer Maggot visiting Tom Bombadil, he probably went the long way around the Old Forest, cutting through the Barrow Downs instead to reach Tom.

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Eldar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 04:09 PM   #8
tom bombariffic
Wight

tom bombariffic has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Quote:
wouldn't it be possible that Old Man Willow is one the trees that act more like Ents that Treebeard mentioned.
-these are the Huorns - see my post above.