The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2006, 04:32 AM   #28
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Newly consecrated young monk has entered into service at a monastery famous for its archive of sacred texts, and has been given a task of copying manuscripts. Despite availability of originals, he found that monks were copying from earlier copies, whilst originals were kept in the basement for safekeeping. Being of inquisitive mind, young monk asked an audience with the prior to learn the reason of such practice.

'Why don't we copy from originals, father?' he asked.
'Why? My son, I'm not sure... it is tradition, I suppose. Besides, if we take them out too often, we may damage them'
'Yes, father, you're right. But, if we never take them out for comparison, we may omit incorrigible errors in our copying. How do you know we are not copying some error, or number of such, for generations already?'
'You know, my son, I believe our copiers, you yourself included, are mostly diligent, so no errors slipped our notice. Yet, to sooth your worries down, I'll check documents you've copied against originals myself. Wait for me here; it must not take more than half an hour.

Prior went off to the basement where originals were kept, yet came not back in half an hour, nor in an hour. In fact, he’s been missing for a day or two. Worried, young monk went after him to the basement, and found him in poor state. Prior's garments were in disorder, hair stood on end, cheeks were feverishly red. He sat on the floor, and all round him original manuscripts were scattered. Monk ran down the stair to him.

‘What happened, father? Why do you sit on the floor? Are you feeling well?’
‘What?... Who?!... Ah, it's you, my son…you were right, we’ve been copying an error for generations… too late now… yet it was written that monks should celebrate in the original, as I’ve just found out… not monks should celibate … too late now….
'

Kidding apart, but approaches as you suggest are not alternative. If the story I’ve just provided you with (and do hope all who’ve read it took it as light humor and nothing more) have been true, it would illustrate that even venerable (and diligent) scribes may err sometimes.

So, my own approach would be a mix, something along the lines of Received Tradition of Venerable, yet sometimes Fallible (for records being in contradiction) Recorders

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-14-2006 at 05:15 AM.
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote