The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #41
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Fea walked over to the Barro-Ight () and slipped him a single coin.

The triick to it, m'lad, is to pick two names at a time and flip several times. Or there is the time-honored spell, chanted most easily to the beat of a drum, but in this case, I quite think that the rhythm of arguing voices may suffice. It goes much like this:

Eeny meeny miny moe,
Catch a werewolf by its toe.
If he attacks, kill him slow,
Eeny meeny miny moe.
The healer told me
To pick the very best one
And you... are it.

Or of course there is the hat trick. That is where you put all the names into a hat, and if you pick accurately thrice, everyone throws their hats at you.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:36 PM   #42
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oh words-I'm-too-prim-to-say... 'Tis nearly time for me to head off to bed, being the early riser that I've turned into out of necessity... I regret highly having to do this now, and without further evidence...

++Fordim Hedgethistle, I am sorry, but of all here, you are the only, and by that, I do most certainly mean only, villager to give me the slightest amount of a quiver in my soul, as well as many other poetic lines of near-nonsense that I'd rather not repeat. You accuse with evidence that would not hold up in the most scatter-brained of teenage girl lunch table debates. Also, you insinuated that I am a fool. Quite honestly, I am never going to let you live that down. Perhaps that's why I now have to vote for your life to end prematurely.

I only wish that I had more time, but I must to bed early this night, and to rise even earlier in the morning... Although I will certainly attend the hanging, you can be absolutely positive that I will utter no words. You can count on me to think long and hard tomorrow, and to inform you of my thoughts as soon as circumstances permit me to.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:41 PM   #43
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
He smiled when he heard that phantom had imagined natural wolves to possess knot tying abilities
Actually, at the time I said that I figured everyone was just exaggerating the killing and that Oddwen was probably just chewed up and left on the table or something. I didn't really believe that every last chicken was dead and that Oddwen was tied up- perhaps I didn't want to believe it. I wasn't with the group of villagers that went to Oddwen's this morning, you remember, I was here cooking up that nice breakfast you had. It wasn't until Fea and I took our walk that I got to look for myself.
Quote:
I pray you all, do not be so quick to suspect Encaitare...
Indeed. I can hardly imagine her commiting a violent murder with weak knees and hardly any teeth. I mean- no one found gum marks on Oddwen, did they?

"Ready to turn in already?" Phantom asked Fea.

"Yes, I could really use some sleep after today."

"I somehow doubt that you, or anyone, will get much sleep tonight. I'd turn in for the night too, but I've got to stay up as long as people are here. I'd better nip back and tuck the kids into bed, though."

"What about me?"

Phantom grinned. "Anything for my queen."

He turned to the guests. "That big cauldron of stew is about done- everyone just help yourself to it when it's ready- but don't let any fights break out while I'm gone. Last time a brawl happened here half of my dishes ended up broken."

With that he turned and followed Fea through the doorway.

Last edited by the phantom; 05-22-2005 at 07:51 PM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:05 PM   #44
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Nimrodel looked up to see Ainaserkewen coming toward her. Wiping away her own tears, she started to rise. Then she remembered. She wanted so badly to go put her arms around her friend. But she could be a werewolf. Or not. Nervously she twisted her fingers and looked away. I can't say anything. I will not! If I open my big mouth and someone hears... they might hear something to make them think Aina did it! Nim had a way of speaking her mind... accidentally. Instead she said, "Yes. I heard." She couldn't bring herself to look Aina in the eyes. Foolish! You suspect your own friend! But of course she didn't do it. Not Aina. Never Aina. But what if she is? It's possible. She looked toward the crowd and heard murmurs of phantom and Fordim's name. She couldn't believe they were werewolves either. Well, someone is! If I have to vote for someone to die, I don't know what I will do!
Old 05-22-2005, 08:06 PM   #45
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
On this day we must regrettably use only our suspicions to convict someone of an unspeakably heinous crime. The decision seems one that we are unworthy to make. Yet we must take action with what little knowledge we have. There is one I have felt more uneasy with as the day has worn on: his calm demeanor has felt artificial, his allegiances suspicious. I think that his death will lend us more insight than the execution of any other villager on this night. I now solemnly cast my vote for ++The Phantom.

Last edited by Son of Númenor; 05-22-2005 at 08:27 PM. Reason: awful wording
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:28 PM   #46
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Now we proceed under the idea that Mister Hedgethistle is an innocent, although rather pushy, villager. He could simply not fear for his life, as he knows that he is innocent, and so begins to cry wolf, if you'll pardon the pun, just to see what happens.
Or he's an innocent villager as has been meaning everything he says all day without a whisper of dishonesty, gamesmanship or prevarication -- his only interest being the well-fare of the village.

As it looks as though this might come down to a vote betwixt meself and that Phantom fellow I'd just ask as you all consider this: which of the two of us would you rather have around come the next day? If it does come down to this, I accept the judgement of the village, and no hard feelings...

I'm tired and I'm off to bed. If you decide to lynch me, try not to wake me up before a-putting the noose about me neck...
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:36 PM   #47
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

The Phantom entered the room after Son had finished speaking. He had heard every word from the other side of the door.
Quote:
the outcome shall lend us more insight than the death of any other villager
But why kill a villager at all? We are aiming to execute a werewolf, if I am not mistaken. Yes, no one knows for sure who's a werewolf and who isn't, but I can tell you that there is much more of a reason to suspect Fordim than there is to suspect me.

And what about Nimrodel? Nim is firing away like a crazed gunner at Aina with zero evidence whatsoever. Once again, possibly a werewolf trying to hide right out in the open. Surely everyone can see that there is more of a reason to go after Fordim and Nimrodel.

And as far as "allegiances", I would remind you that the Fea and I being married with kids thing started in the last werewolf encounter.

And lastly- if this is indeed a completely random choice, am I really someone you want to kill on the first day? As the last game proved, I'm plenty handy as a villager. If I were a gifted villager (I'm certainly not claiming it), I would be extremely useful. Either way, it is a sore blow to the town.

And concerning how "calm" I have been, don't you all know me to be generally calm, dry, and level headed for the most part (excusing the occasional rant here and there, like this one). I have been slightly less than calm on a couple of occasions though, and right now I'm beginning to feel a tickle of frustration.
Quote:
which of the two of us would you rather have around come the next day?
Oh no. A popularity contest. I hope those little green boxes that follow you around aren't an indicator.

Last edited by the phantom; 05-22-2005 at 08:47 PM. Reason: add link
Old 05-22-2005, 08:37 PM   #48
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

I must be off as well. Good evening.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:59 PM   #49
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Finally Nimrodel decided to put a word in. It was getting late and she knew she had to vote for someone. But not Aina, she decided. She couldn't bring herself to betray her friend. After all, phantom was right. She had no evidence. It was just her imagination getting the better of her. Slowly she walked toward the crowd. She fought back tears and said, "Why would you accuse me, Phantom? I'm just thinking what most other people are probably thinking about their friends. I'm no werewolf! But I agree with you and Fea that Fordim has been the meanest so far, and that it might be a trick. I'll vote for him. If he turns out to be a villager, think better of me. + + Fordim" I only hope I have chosen wisely! With that she walked away. "Let us see what the night shall bring," she whispered to herself, and shuddered.

Last edited by Nimrodel_9; 05-23-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Nimrodel_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:12 PM   #50
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Aye, me, it's gettin' late. Time fer me to turn in, I think. Oh, but a vote first, ye say? Kills me to do it, really -- though p'raps it'll end up killin' someone else a bit more. Let's see, now. A lot of ye seem right 'bout Mr. Hedgethistle. He's been actin' strangely. But then, I don' like what Mr. Son of Numenor was sayin' about me before. 'Tain't strange that I'd defend someone who's made me old age a little easier, not strange at all.

Now, I hate bandwagonin', but I agree that Mr. Hedgethistle has been actin' mighty odd. I hope you'll all forgive an old lady if I'm wrong, but it also seems a lot of ye all will need forgivin' as well if he turns out innocent. I'm off te bed now -- an' don' ferget what I said about lockin' yer doors tonight. Windows, too.

++Fordim Hedgethistle
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:17 PM   #51
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Aina watched her friend leave. This was maddening, everyone having to decide. But no one had said they were a werewolf, not the innkeeper, nor Fordim as Nim had suggested. How did Nim know that he was a werewolf? Maybe she was only guessing. Perhaps I must make a guess to? But what if who I guess is not a werewolf and I have lied? I don't want to lie, or to have any part in slaying a friend or a villager. But the werewolves must be stopped, because they slay friends and villagers. How am I supposed to choose? If the innkeeper is hanged, then who will look after his poor wife? And what of Fordim? Surely he can't be a werewolf, he looks like a villager! But wait, werewolves transform from humans to monsters.

Aina was very confused indeed. She looked around frantically for some kind of guidance, some logic that would bring light and truth and safety.
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:22 PM   #52
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The mason emptied his umpteenth mug and mumbled blearily, “It is late, and there is no way I will be up early enough to cast a last-minute vote, so I will vote now. Please do not use me as an example of leadership. My vote, like all others here tonight, is completely uneducated and ultimately random in nature.”

He slammed his mug down onto the dirty table. “ Well, not totally random. My vote is actually based almost entirely upon my dislike of long expositions built upon shoddy evidence. It is additionally affected by my desire to avoid reading long passages of convoluted accusations.”

He raised his ale and shouted, “++ the phantom seems pretty sneaky to me! Somebody prove me wrong!”
Old 05-22-2005, 09:33 PM   #53
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I'm sorry, but he who casts the first stone....
++FORDIM
Old 05-22-2005, 09:37 PM   #54
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

++FORDIM
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Old 05-22-2005, 09:51 PM   #55
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Well, it seems that Fordy's demise is inevitable now. I hope we are right, though if we are wrong I don't lament my vote one tiny bit seeing as I literally had no choice (the other option was me).
Quote:
If he turns out to be a werewolf, think better of me.
I suppose I would if he does turn out to be a wolf.

If not, then you move to the top of my suspect list.

++ Fordim Hedgethistle
Old 05-23-2005, 12:22 AM   #56
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Another loud anvil whack interrupts precedings...

Now, I ken many o' ye are turning on the shepherd lad, Fordim. I ken that if'n I defend him and I gang wrong, ye'll be wailing for string me up, and little guid will it dae ye.

But to my mind, there be some what are using their tongues more slyly to urge us to the gibbet. Alas that such a dark day has dawned, and a crimson night is to fall. But if ye recall, twas the farmer's wifie that said:

"The avenging has to start somewhere and I fear for you, Fordim because of your boldness and vote, The Phantom and you are on the chopping block. Each of us has to decide where to place our vote.
As you have pointed out, no one else is really going to come forward with compelling evidence to put a third person (or themselves) on the block."

Well, I have it in mind to break that wifie's mould. Those who direct the flow of anger and wrath can be as dangerous as those who provoke it. Mistress Holbytlass jumps on a cause and tries to cloud our eyes from other culprits. Though Fordim has acted foolishly, and his fate is almost certainly sealed, I cast my vote for ++ Holbytlass. And part of me dreads lest I be right, and she come for my flesh in the small hours. Though if'n she does...I'll be ready for her.

Last edited by Anguirel; 05-23-2005 at 01:29 AM.
Anguirel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:58 AM   #57
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I haven't said almost anything during this deadful day and for a reason. I was afraid that my vote should lead to the death of an innocent for neither my heart nor brain could tell me, who was speaking the truth. But now I see that the decision has been made without me. Alas, my vote has no value in it (or maybe it's a good thing) but I have no reason to start to argue against the majority. With that I must cast my vote for ++ Fordim Hedgethistle.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:46 AM   #58
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I go inside for a few hours to inspect my new purchase (Gondorian robes, since you ask) and find that you lot have already voted to lynch our good Fordim? What is this madness?

Nothing to go on? O I beg to differ. Fordim was an easy target for the rushed and the naive. Yes, he put his neck out and was willing to take the spotlight in order to coax those devilish wolves. However, this seems like very lame evidence. And realise please that I am not for one minute accusing the phantom at this time. I just see this as one of the silliest lynchings ever (although there was this one time in Rhun, o my....I'll tell you about it sometime).

Remember that the phantom and Fea have the perfect pretext for a defence. I'm not accusing either of the two, I'm just saying that this marriage is not really an adequate counter. Of course anyone would blindly defend a partner, but we cannot look too deeply into it.

I have a couple of suspects, but Fordim is not among them. If we find out that he is a werewolf then I take a bow to you all, and thank the stars above for helping our village. But I warn you of this: you have decided to lynch a man and I cannot understand why.

Because I still fear the wolves greatly, if I am to go tonite, please remember my thoughts on Fordim.

Now let us see, and hope that you have chosen wisely.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:48 AM   #59
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand Shear lunacy ...

The village was decided. The sheep-shearer would die. After all, the killings had started with sheep and cattle and his hut was nearest to the fields. And sheap-shearing was similar to chicken plucking, wasn’t it? Well, near enough as to make no difference. He had to be one of them. Didn’t he?

Fordim Hedgethistle faced the angry mob, his eyes wide with fear and desperation. As they advanced on him, he drew forth his great shears and brandished them at all who dared approach.

“I am no Werewolf!” he cried. “I am an innocent man!”

“What about Oddwen?” shouted one of the Villagers, “Why don’t you tell her about it?”

“Yes, we’ve suspected you for the longest time,” said another.

“Aye. We didn’t start the fire. You did!” added a third.

“Er - yes - I never liked him. Ever since he - um - married that uptown girl,” muttered a fourth, weakly.

“Enough Joel-ity,” cried the first. “Let’s lynch him!”

As the mob flew at Fordim, he swung his shears about wildly. Several villagers were injured in the ensuing tussle, but their numbers were too great for the suspected Werewolf. Eventually, he was overwhelmed and subdued. Caught up in the frenzy and angered by the wounds inflicted by Fordim, it did not occur to the Villagers that, were he a Werewolf, he might have transformed into a beast the better to defend himself.

In no time, the tall sheep-shearer was bound and led to the sturdy gallows built by the sturdy stonemason. Calm once more, he stared at the crowd impassively.

“Soon my innocence will be proved,” he said. “And you will see that I acted only with the Village’s best interests at heart.”

The noose was placed around his neck and the lever pulled. The Villagers crowded forward, eager to have their suspicions proved right. But there was only a brief struggle and a dreadful crack as Fordim’s neck snapped.

It seemed that Fordim Hedgethistle was nothing more than an innocent Villager after all …

Living:
Anguirel
Feanor of the Peredhil
Holbytlas
Eomer of the Rohirrim
The Barrow-Wight
the phantom
Encaitare
Ainaserkewen
Son of Númenor
Nimrodel_9

Dead:
Oddwen (Villager) - slaughtered, plucked and trussed like a chicken on Night 1
Fordim Hedgethistle (Villager) – lynched and hung in a flurry of bad Billy Joel puns on Day 1

Score:
Werewolves: 3
Villagers: 8

NIGHT 2 has now started. It will end in 24 hours’ time (10.30AM GMT tomorrow), or earlier if all night-time notifications are received by me before then.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 05-23-2005 at 03:33 AM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:44 AM   #60
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Shield A nice day for a barbeque ...

The Villagers awoke once more, fearful of what the day would bring.

And it was not long before their fears were confirmed. A sickening stench hung in the air. The unmistakeable smell of burning flesh.

A steady stream of smoke could be seen billowing from the chimney of the Blacksmith’s workshop. Surely it was too early for him to be at work?

A few Villagers, stout of heart, ventured into the Smithy. But they soon wished that they had not. Most of what remained of the Smith’s body lay on his great anvil. It appeared that his own implements had been crudely employed to carve his corpse into portions. In fact, the remains would not have been recognisable as Anguirel at all were it not for his severed head, its expression grim and impassive as ever, lying at an angle to one side of the scattered joints of meat.

Over the wide furnace hung a great haunch of what appeared to be the Blacksmith’s leg, skewered on a poker and burned almost to a crisp. But even in its blackened state, it was clear that great chunks had been ripped out of it by terrible canine jaws. There could be no doubt that the Werewolves had enjoyed a hearty feast of barbequed Blacksmith the previous night.

But the Smith had not given his life without a struggle. The workshop had been the scene of a great fight. Tables and benches lay smashed on the floor and the tools of the Smith’s trade were scattered about. And among them lay a sturdy broad sword and a great round shield – unusual possessions for a humble village Blacksmith. But then it was clear that Anguirel had been no ordinary Villager. As those who had the stomach for it searched the scene of the dreadful attack, they realised that he had been busy over the past few days making preparations to guard the Village from the marauding beasts.

But who would defend them now …?

Living:
Feanor of the Peredhil
Holbytlas
Eomer of the Rohirrim
The Barrow-Wight
the phantom
Encaitare
Ainaserkewen
Son of Númenor
Nimrodel_9

Dead:
Oddwen (Villager) - slaughtered, plucked and trussed like a chicken on Night 1
Fordim Hedgethistle (Villager) – lynched and hung in a flurry of bad Billy Joel puns on Day 1
Anguirel (Guardian) – carved up and barbequed on Night 2

Score:
Werewolves: 3
Villagers: 7

DAY 2 has now started. It will end in 24 hours’ time (10.45AM GMT tomorrow), or earlier if a clear voting majority is reached before then.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 05-24-2005 at 03:47 AM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:57 AM   #61
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

O my! What a wretched time this village is having.

My heart goes out to Fordim and Anguirel. We really have to avenge them, and quickly.

Notice how we should probably start lynching werewolves, my people. Not innocent old men, crazy though they be. How could you suspect old master Fordim? What madness took you?

As for the newly deceased, it seems clear to me that all eyes will soon turn to Holbytlass, but I fear this will be a mistake. The werewolves are clearly trying to set her up, because she was accused by Ang. I don't doubt the smith's valour in thinking slightly left of centre, but I think that he made the wrong choice.

I for one am extremely wary of three or four people. Let me now name the first of those: Ainaserkewen. That lass, sweet and delightful looking though she be, has an air of treachery around her so great it now makes me shudder. She has been deviously quiet thus far, and voted for my good Fordim late (so as not to stick her neck out too far) and offering no reason (let alone a good reason).

She needs watching if you ask me.

Please forgive us Fordim, and may you rest soundly dear Anguirel.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:59 AM   #62
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thank you, Eomer, for seeing this as it is, a set-up.
Anguirel suspected me because he thought I was 'directing the flow of anger and wrath. he used my own words against me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
But if ye recall, twas the farmer's wifie that said:

"The avenging has to start somewhere and I fear for you, Fordim because of your boldness and vote, The Phantom and you are on the chopping block. Each of us has to decide where to place our vote.
As you have pointed out, no one else is really going to come forward with compelling evidence to put a third person (or themselves) on the block."
(post56)
But what he left out was "And I am scared of the possibilty of both being innocent".(post20)
So why did I say that in the first place? It was in response to Fordim's question of why we should wait (post19). I suggested waiting because Fordim was so quick to accuse and vote for Phantom and wanted all of us to do the same. I wanted to here from everyone first(post14).
I know this will be hard to believe, but I didn't suspect Ang as being a werewolf trying to come after me even before his death proved his innocence. This is why...
He only heard part of what I said, AND he was mistaken about what Phantom said about the mason, Barrow-wight (post17,18,21). What I suspected was that he might have tinnitus. Lay-men's term it is called 'ringing in the ears'. That is an occupational hazard for a black-smith. The healer, Feanor, might be able to back me up on this, but maybe not on account of patient/healer confidentiality.
All I ask is for every one to read in full all I said, before putting my head through the noose.

Last edited by Holbytlass; 05-24-2005 at 06:15 AM.
Holbytlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:50 AM   #63
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Wow... Quite frankly, I wasn't sure if Fordim was guilty or not, but given the "evidence" that was available when I was compelled to leave, I had to vote for him. It was either him or the phantom, who I saw no compelling evidence at all against.

Now Anguirel is gone, and I'm relieved that he was no wolf, but I'm quite afraid now that we've no guardian.

The one, much as it swashbuckles me to say, that I currently suspect most, is Eomer of the Rohirrim. Also, Aina and dancing spawn have my eye on them. It's quite a lucky chance that I've three eyes, to keep tabs on these villagers.

I'm not saying they are guilty, no, not by any means, but I'm certainly saying that they bear watching. As do we all, quite frankly, but Aina's hasty vote (with no corresponding comments), Eomer's suspicious lack of enthusiastic posting, and dancing spawn's voting once a clear majority had been reached tweak my nerve.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:16 AM   #64
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Quote:
Now Anguirel is gone, and I'm relieved that he was no wolf, but I'm quite afraid now that we've no guardian.
You knew quite well that he was no wolf, being one yourself!

You say that you voted for Fordim because there was no evidence to convict Phantom -- hogwash! There was less evidence against Fordim by any stretch of imagination: it was Phantom, after all, who suggested that he thought the murder of Oddwen was undertaken by mere wolves (his explanation being that he automatically assumed the silly villagers had exaggerated the nature of the killing).

It was you, Feanor of the Peredhil who so adamantly defended The Phantom, even calling poor old Fordim a "fool"; Encaitare who defended you despite the fact that she could not possibly know of your innocence unless she herself was a werewolf; and The Phantom, who defended Encaitare, only seemingly half in jest. Quite a coincidence then, that the three you name as being suspicious -- Aina, Eomer and Dancing Spawn -- are all excluded from this threesome, as well as the one who moved to the top of Phantom's "suspect list" in the wake of Fordim's hanging: Nimrodel_9. You used them all to off Fordim, and now your fangéd triumvirate can name them as suspects to deflect attention from yourselves!

I will cast my vote early on this day: String up ++Feanor of the Peredhil!

*Gasping for breath, amazed at having heard his own voice echo so loudly through the hall, the carpenter staggered, and fainted*

Last edited by Son of Númenor; 05-24-2005 at 09:43 AM. Reason: minor emphasis change -- italicized "seemingly"
Old 05-24-2005, 08:45 AM   #65
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Fea said:
Quote:
dancing spawn's voting once a clear majority had been reached tweak my nerve.
Have we come to this? Well, I'm sorry but even though I'm used to long days and tough work, I must sleep every now and then. It doesn't bother me if you want to stay up all night long (what she just might do), but I sleep at nights.

I have been thinking of what people have said on the first day and re-read their arguments and there's a thing that catches my eye every time. Now, I know that by accusing someone so hastily, I might end up joining Fordim. Also, if I should die during next night, I want to tell you, what I noticed.

There are three werewolves running around and I might have found some evidence, who they could be.

Fea didn't quite like Anguirel.
Quote:
She glared more or less equally at almost everybody, glaring slightly more forebodingly at Anguirel.
Encaitare was very quick to defend Fea.
Quote:
What's all this finger-pointin'?? 'Specially against Miz Fea here, who never did nothin' but help yer sick! Why, jus' las' month she gave me a tonic fer me achin' old joints, she did.
Then she (Enca) said:
Quote:
I'm thinkin' it's gotta be someone bigger an' stronger.
She probably tried to shift blame to males.
Holbytlass, for one, is friends with Enca.
Quote:
I'm glad Encaitare came, we old ladies will do our best to bestow wisdom on this matter
Enca spoke a bit harshly to Anguirel.
Quote:
An', Mr. Anguirel, I resent what ye said -- scared an' stayin' at home, my foot!
I'd believe that Son of Numenor came up with a theory of the same kind as I even earlier:
Quote:
but Encaitare defending Fea seems strange, for insooth none of us should be defending anyone based solely on character. Evil wears many faces, as they say. That Enca would go out of her way to defend one person -- a person who has not even been directly accused, I believe -- to whom she has no familial relation, seems suspect
Holbytlass defends Enca.
Quote:
But I think Enca's defence of Fea is not suspect (at this time) but just Enca being a product of her time.
Here's then what Fea said about Encaitare:
Quote:
I pray you all, do not be so quick to suspect Encaitare... our long friendship may cloud her thoughts, but she is more honorable than even I... not a tricksy bone in her, while I am quite fond of causing a wee bit of mischief.
Anguirel ended up voting for Holbytlass.

I don't undervalue Eomer's statement about Holbytlass. I know, if there were only a couple quotes, I wouldn't have the right to accuse anyone. It wouldn't even be very wise. All this, though, seems like an awful lot of evidence. I don't want to vote for anybody yet because it might be that they all aren't werewolves. It's still likely that a couple of them are and they are just using the third one.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:52 AM   #66
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

*Fea looks at the prone body and spits in disgust.*

Quite honestly, SoNo, I thought you were more intelligent than that.

Quote:
You knew quite well that he was no wolf, being one yourself
I obviously missed something important while I was gone yesterday, since I was unaware that I was so high on your list of innocents to randomly accuse and/or kill.

Quote:
There was less evidence against Fordim by any stretch of imagination:
Explain to me then, SoNo, why any innocent (besides my lovely namesake in the other village) would start accusing with no evidence, vote so early on without hearing a single word against it (and vote irrevocably, which not even my namesake was fool enough to do), and be so utterly abrasive to everyone? If I can hear a plausible reason for me not to have thought him the only one lynchable given the present evidence at the time I had no choice but to leave at, than I will quite forcefully say "Oops." Since he was the only one I could vote for in somewhat good conscience when I left, I have no regrets.

Quote:
It was you, Feanor of the Peredhil who so adamantly defended The Phantom, even calling poor old Fordim a "fool";
There wasn't the slightest bit of plausible evidence against the phantom at the time. Had I seen another person being so randomly and quite badly accused at the time, rest assured that I would have been defending him or her as well. And he called me one first, insinuating that I am easily fooled into siding with anyone. Choosing a character as an almost private (but not even, because it happened in the last thread) joke has nothing whatsoever with whether or not I eventually decide that Fordim was right and the phantom requires death. That decision will come when somebody presents believable evidence, or when I make astute observations on my own.

Quote:
Encaitare who defended you despite the fact that she could not possibly know of your innocence unless she herself was a werewolf
That could be one of two things: we are friends, and she is giving me the benefit of the doubt and pointing out that there was no evidence against me... or you're right and she's trying to ally herself with me much like Anguirel's namesake in the last village did.

Quote:
You used them all to off Fordim, and now your fangéd triumvirate can name them as suspects to deflect attention from yourselves!
I applaud your vocabulary, but actually, I suggest you reread some of my posts. I gave fair (and quite early) warning that I wouldn't be around yesterday, and lo and behold, I wasn't. How can somebody not even remotely present (since I was some four hours away from my computer) use people? All I did was vote for the person who seemed most suspicous at the time. Fault me if you want, but quite honestly, if you really think I'm guilty, then I really think you're a bit of an idiot. I think it's far more likely that your weak arguements and hasty vote for me are to cast a shadow on my purity and sway the innocent villagers into thinking along the lines of your own werewolf self.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:00 AM   #67
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The mason grumbled, "Namecalling and whining cast an even greater shadow on your so-called purity. Let's try to be civil in our arguments, and save the nastiness for the gallows."
Old 05-24-2005, 09:02 AM   #68
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I realize Sono just voted for you, Feanor, but please, bring the smelling salts....Oh dear, another quick-voter.
Eomer is supicious of Aina
Feanor is of Eomer, Aina, Dancing Spawn
Sonofnumenor of Phantom, Encaitare, and voted Feanor
(To be fair) the late Anguirel of Holbytlass
The only thing we are absolute on is Oddwen, Fordim and Anguirel are innocent.
I did vote Fordim and he turned out to be innocent. This does not proof that Phantom is a werewolf nor that he isn't. I think his mind was bent on avenging Oddwen, they shared a mutual love of animals, she may have held a special place in his heart.
One person I'd like to bring up again is Nimrodel9. Fordim at very first was eyeing Phantom and Aina. Then he made his hasty decision for Phantom. It is strange that Nimrodel9 would be constantly naming her 'best-friend' Aina as a werewolf (post31) even after I stated the obvious that because of Fordim's quick vote, it had landed Phantom and himself on the block(post 20). (Of course, this is why I'm in trouble). And where are her parents, really?
As for Feanor, sure she should be lynched up for her loose tongue and overpriced medical bills, but that's about all she is guilty of.
I have major suspicions on Nimrodel9
Old 05-24-2005, 09:17 AM   #69
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

*Fea belatedly pulls out her smelling salts and hands them over*

And I wasn't really name calling... it was more of an if/then statement. If he honestly thinks I'm guilty with such little evidence against me, then he's a fool.

And if I had not argued for my own innocence, what then? Would you attack me for not behaving like myself? Would you claim that I was not an accomplished enough liar to pull off arguing my case against SoNo? Perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut, but more because his accusation is so ludicrous than for any other reason.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:39 AM   #70
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
How could you suspect old master Fordim? What madness took you?
I think you know why he got lynched, Eomer. It was because he came out swinging and voted so quickly.

And I certainly hope no one blames me for my counter attack on Fordim and my vote since it was either his death or mine.
Quote:
Ainaserkewen. That lass, sweet and delightful looking though she be, has an air of treachery around her so great it now makes me shudder.
Eomer, she gives me a shiver as well, but I think my suspicion of Aina might have more to do with the role she fills in this village- sweet little innocent girl. Truthfully, I don't really think there's a good reason to suspect her. Not unless she gives me one, anyway.
Quote:
The werewolves are clearly trying to set her (Holbytlass) up
Well- I'm not so sure. It seems a bit too obvious to me. Would wolves have attempted such an obvious set up? Perhaps Holbtylass killed Anguirel and knew that everyone would assume it was a set up because it was so obvious.

I'm not saying that's a for sure, Holbytlass, and I'm not ready to vote yet, so don't get yourself too worked up.
Quote:
The one, much as it swashbuckles me to say, that I currently suspect most, is Eomer of the Rohirrim.
We certainly can't rule anyone out, but Eomer is not high on my suspect list at all. I suggest we keep him out of this for right now as too many names and accusations muddy up the water.
Quote:
It was you, Feanor of the Peredhil who so adamantly defended The Phantom
She's my wife.
Quote:
The Phantom, who defended Encaitare, seemingly half in jest
A defense based on "gum marks" is obviously a jest.
Quote:
You used them all to off Fordim
Now- that's not true at all!

Fordim was the first to attack. Who did he attack? Me. Was he the seer? No, so he obviously knew nothing. The fact is, I was hoping for more people to show up and post and see if we couldn't get people to say some suspicious things so we could make a better decision, but Fordim forced my hand.

As far as the others that voted for him, it was either Fordim, or me. You can't prove much by a choice that is nothing but a coin toss.

And did you hear Dancing Spawn's theory? It is entirely possible to have a "fangéd triumvirate" without including me.

Overall, a pretty well worked out theory, with some good quotes to back it up. Although, Spawn, I must tell you that I don't like you including Fea on your list, and I'm not likely to vote for her unless both of the other two turn out to be wolves and the seer proclaims Fea's guilt.
Quote:
It's still likely that a couple of them are and they are just using the third one.
They could just be using Fea.
Quote:
I have major suspicions on Nimrodel9
It's nice I'm not the only one, but I must admit that it's only a gut feeling. After reading everyone's posts today I think there is better concrete evidence for others at this time. But if we try SoN's theory or Dancing Spawn's theory and they turn out to be a false lead, we couldn't afford to ignore Nim any longer.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:52 AM   #71
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

*Sono awoke in a daze, with Feanor of the Peredhil standing over him. Captured by the 'wolves! he thought, but soon realized that she was trying to revive him with smelling salts.

He heard The Phantom speaking as he stood up:*

Quote:
A defense based on "gum marks" is obviously a jest.
Nevertheless, your comment was meant to divert attention from Encaitare to other suspects.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:54 AM   #72
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

To Sono and Fea and anyone else who thinks that my posting habits are suspicious: I sleep at nite, and the Atlantic Ocean is rather wide.

And I stand by my claim that Fordim was highly unlikely to be a werewolf. So he made the first accusation. That only means that he was trying to get the ball rolling, so to speak. I am, quite frankly, amazed at the villagers' poor lack of judgment regarding Master Hedgethistle.

I am also wary of Encaitare. And one especial other who I shall not yet name. The accusations made against Fordim offer much, in my mind...
Old 05-24-2005, 10:25 AM   #73
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

*smiles at the phantom*

I'll be very put out if you're truly a werewolf. You're just so darned charming, I'd hate to have to kill you.

All right Eomer... the time zone difference has me a little messed up with posting at the moment. With most other circumstances, individual times mean nothing. You're currently off my list. Well, not really... but you are a few steps lower.

SoNo, you are really just intent on my guilt, aren't you? I guess my if/then statement turned out to be true. I would hate it for you to be guilty as well, but if it's a choice between your death and mine, my friend, then I am reasonably sure that you can guess who my vote is.

*Fea turns to the mason*

Mister Wight... I'd love to hear all your thoughts on this. You've been quite silent and observative through all of this, and I'd love to know what your thoughts are.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:33 AM   #74
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

All this deceit has me cowering my friends. Your suspicions and accusations of everyone are dangerous. We must watch who is banding together and who is being forced apart. I think that is the way we will distinguish the real wolves. Will not the wolves try and save each other? Or worse, try and fool us by accusing each other to make themselves out as innocent? And what of this seer? If only we had a sign secret only to real humans who's judgement to trust!

I cannot weep any longer, I've wept for so long. I'm scared for my life by the hands of werewolves and now by the hands of my own friends. Can not a system of harder evidence be used to truly distinguish who is who?
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Old 05-24-2005, 10:35 AM   #75
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Not unless one of our members steps forth with blood congealed in his or her hair, canines bared, and claws unsheathed, Aina m'darling.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:38 PM   #76
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Sono and The Barrow-wight voted against the phantom when it was clear that Fordim the innocent would soon attract many votes. Strange behaviour for wolves, as they had a very obvious chance to kill Fordim immediately.

The carpenter and the mason are the least suspicious in my mind.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:52 PM   #77
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Strange behaviour for wolves, as they had a very obvious chance to kill Fordim immediately
Actually, when SoN voted, Fordim and I were tied at one vote a piece, so it was really a choice between two innocents. Perhaps he feared me more? When BW voted, there was only a one vote difference between Fordim and I. I don't think it was an "obvious chance to kill Fordim". It was equally an obvious chance to kill me.

Therefore, I don't think that their voting removes them from consideration.

I honestly think that they voted for me instead of Fordim because they rather would've had him around, possibly because 1) Fordy has never had the chance to experience a werewolf town and I have, 2) they like Fordim more than they like me.

Even though I do not excuse them, I do not particularly suspect them, especially not BW. Though, if he too votes to lynch Fea and she is proven to be innocent, I might have to change my thoughts.

Last edited by the phantom; 05-24-2005 at 01:11 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-24-2005, 01:00 PM   #78
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Strange behaviour for wolves, as they had a very obvious chance to kill Fordim immediately.
I've got this way of thinking, Eomer, where whatever I've got going through my mind, I find it safest to assume that somebody else is also considering it.

My thoughts with this:

Quote:
Sono and The Barrow-wight voted against the phantom when it was clear that Fordim the innocent would soon attract many votes
are that that's certainly what I would have done. You do the stupidest thing imaginable because nobody would assume you stupid enough to do it. And once they get used to over-thinking every single one of your actions, you revert to telling the complete and honest pure-as-the-wind-driven-snow truth.

Quite honestly though, if you wanted to be thought of as innocent and you were a wolf, wouldn't you start acting innocent? Nobody is going to intentionally act guilty. That's just common sense.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:32 PM   #79
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Getting out of grumpy character...

Quote:
That could be one of two things: we are friends, and she is giving me the benefit of the doubt and pointing out that there was no evidence against me... [Fea]
Which is exactly what it was. As of yet, I have no reason to suspect Fea. That could change later in the game. I'm certainly not trying to create alliances.

Quote:
Nevertheless, your comment was meant to divert attention from Encaitare to other suspects. [SoN]
Isn't that all what we're doing, in a sense, whether innocent or werewolf? Trying to cast the blame away from those we don't want to see get killed? While the phantom's comment was obviously a joke and not something I expected to see, I suppose I can see how you'd think it was a defense. Let me just say that it was not premeditated.

I'm feeling a fair share of suspicion towards just about everyone right now. I'm almost positive that one of our two "naive" lasses is a werewolf. Which one, I'm not sure... I'm just getting bad vibes from the way-too-innocent thing.

Anyone else think SpM is having a delightfully sadistic time coming up with these fascinating (not to mention themed to each person) deaths?
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:46 PM   #80
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

phantom, I disagree with you. As soon as Fordim put his strategy into motion I immediately guessed that the two of you were innocent (mostly because of the number of players, really - chances were that any 2 of the 12 would be innocent).

However, it seemed blatantly obvious to me that Fordim would attract more votes because it was he who cast the first stone. Within the first few posts on this thread I could tell that Fordim was in trouble. You I did not fear for at all. This was proved to be a good guess on my part.

As to why Sono and The Wight voted for you I can't really offer a certain answer. Most likely they just wanted to defend Fordim because no-one else was doing it at that time. So they picked on you, even though (I do not believe) they really thought you were guilty. So I don't suspect those two characters.

I am noticing a theme developed over the game though: that is, I shall have to vote before much of the analysis is posted, or either wait until the end by which time a majority vote will already have been reached. I was the only one to not vote the last time. It's slightly panicked but I will vote tonite, and very soon.