The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #1
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Jackson the Thief?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't know if this has ever been discussed with PJ, but his LOTR films (the first two, anyway) seem to have borrowed quite a bit from Ralph Bakshi's 1978 movie covering 1 1/2 of the books. Many cameras angles and scene setups look very similar.

A side-by-side comparison.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The scene with the Black Riders attacking the hobbits' room in the Prancing Pony was a very obvious one that I noticed the first time I saw Jackson's film! Definitely a quote...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Tricksy Jacksonses. We hates it forever!
Old 06-05-2020, 03:31 PM   #4
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thanks for linking the video, actually made me feel very nostalgic about both (series of) films! The Bakshi film is ridiculous at times, but some of the visuals are very powerful.

I would ask though, how do you draw the line between plagiarism, deliberate homage/ intertextual reference, and simply something leaving such an impression on your imagination that you (possibly subconsciously) echo it in your own work?

Personally, I don't hold most of the parallels against Jackson&co (especially as some of these were a bit of a reach - there's a limited way of sensible options how to show say Gandalf arriving on a cart to Bag End), but a few are a bit jarringly similar, such as the hiding from the Black Rider under the roots of the tree. The Bakshi version manages to be much creepier, too!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:23 PM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Personally, I don't hold most of the parallels against Jackson&co (especially as some of these were a bit of a reach - there's a limited way of sensible options how to show say Gandalf arriving on a cart to Bag End), but a few are a bit jarringly similar, such as the hiding from the Black Rider under the roots of the tree. The Bakshi version manages to be much creepier, too!
I believe there's a special mention in the EE director's commentaries, when Jackson makes specific mention of liking that scene from Bakshi's cartoon.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:02 AM   #6
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I believe there's a special mention in the EE director's commentaries, when Jackson makes specific mention of liking that scene from Bakshi's cartoon.
I think I remember similar mentions (though I don't believe I ever listened to the commentaries), with both the tree root scene and the Riders stabbing the beds scene called out as deliberate homages.

I watched the start of the video, and wasn't all that impressed by the 'similarities' between the introductions. There was one shot (the Ring falling underwater, I think) which could have been a homage, and I guess putting it in as an intro at all could count, but other than that the shots were very different.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote