The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2003, 04:21 PM   #1
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye If you could have been born in Middle Earth...

IF you could have been born in Middle Earth, what race would you be, where would you live, and who would you make friends with?

I'd either be an elf and live in Rivendell, or I'd be a human and live in Edoras.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:29 PM   #2
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Meneltarmacil, I'm not sure, but I'm sure there's a topic like this somewhere... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Swan song,
~Menelien
Old 07-05-2003, 04:50 PM   #3
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

As far as I can find, there is indeed a topic that deals with What race would you be?, but I haven't as of yet found ones that deal with where you'd live and who your friends would be. Then again, I didn't search too hard or browse too far either. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Look around a bit, Meneltarmacil, and maybe you'll find some other threads like this, but if not, have fun on this one. Welcome to the Downs, and remember to use the search function before posting a new topic. If you have any problems or questions, PM me! I'd be happy to help. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 07-06-2003, 08:00 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would be human, but elvish is good. But humans seem much more involved, especially in Gondor, with the whole ring/war issue, and I adore being right in the action, with all the gossip. Elves seem a bit away from all that, even though they are involved.

I would live in Minas Tirith with my husband, as I do now. And I would be friends with... just about everyone. But friends with Gandalf and Aragorn and all those in secret, as I'm sure my husband wouldn't be too pleased to find out I was associating with them.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:15 AM   #5
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Eye

I'm an Animated Skeleton, Yavanna228, so I'm not exactly a newbie on this site.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:05 PM   #6
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I actually have written this for many times in other topics with different titles but the question's the same : what race would you represent and so on . But I guess I will never get tierd of writing it . And still my thoughts are the same : I do not know what race I would be but I would like to be a Hobbit for we have many habbits in common or a Man of Rohan for I can't live without horses or riding . But we may never know the answer to this question for there is no logical way to get to Middle-earth without admiting that that is a fantasy world of our own . But that is why we are LotR fans [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2003, 02:26 PM   #7
Yavanna Kementari
Haunting Spirit

Yavanna Kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

*bows* Hullo all, I haven't been here in a while. Aulë and I have been on vacation an there is much that a Valier must do even while trying to relax! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

In answer to your question my dear, *smiles* I would be there for I am a Valier, who disguises herself as an Elf from time to time and I dwell in the ageless forests of Valinor [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] *bows* I have a few friends here, Gandalf the Grey is the closest. An Westerner by the Name of Eldarion and an Elf that goes by the name Mithalcariel. Of course I am a friend to all creatures great and small, both the olvar and the kelvar.
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It was wonderful to visit for a while. Though you aren't a newbie dear, it is the first time I have met you so welcome! *bows and smiles* Take care and have fun!
-(~<~> Yavanna
Old 07-06-2003, 10:14 PM   #8
BreeStar1211

Sting

I would probably be an elf, and live in Imladris. I don't really know who I would be friends with. . .
Old 07-07-2003, 12:43 AM   #9
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Tolkien

I'd be a man and live in Rohan. Or maybe Gondor... I don't know... But I would try to be friends with everyone and try to get to know as many people from different races that I could. Diversity is cool. My closest friends would be men.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:47 AM   #10
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would be an elf, born into the third age, and residing in Rivendell. Becuase it is lighter than Lothlorien, which is more unsettling than Rivendell, and Not in Mirkwood... too many creepy crawlies.. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:30 AM   #11
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I would be a hobbit, living in the Shire (of course), and I would be friends with Merry and Pippin. (I would be the one that Gandalf didn't catch stealing that firework... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] )

Abedithon le! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2003, 04:23 PM   #12
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would be a hobbit because I sometimes feel like them. I love food just as much as they do, I have brown curly hair and living in a hobbit hole seems cosy to me. I don't exactly know who my friends would be but I am sure they wouldn't be the Sackville-Baginsess.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:55 PM   #13
Kates Frodo Temp
Wight

Kates Frodo Temp has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Hurrah for the Shire! Other places are too lofty for me. I'd make a mighty strange hobbit, though! Maybe I'm a Brandybuck, maybe.

Merry and his type would be my friends, because Merry is the only ordinary hobbit gentleman Tolkien wrote of. Think about it, and you'll realize it's true. How many people have Merry as there favorite character? I can't think of a one. Everyone likes him, of course. What's not to like? The poor fellow is ignored throughout the book, simply because he's a quiet, ordinary hobbit.

I would be surrounded by normal hobbits in the Shire, so Merry and his type would be my friends.

BTW, there are many topics currently dealing with some form of these same questions. Just thought you should know.

Sign my lighter, Meela?
Kates Frodo Temp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 02:23 AM   #14
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

i'd love to be an elf 'cause they're wise, fair, brave and they can fight. it would be wonderful to wander in the woods of lórien or in rivendell.
that's what i'd like to be.
but i think that a man of rohan would be a better fit to me. mountains, valleys, forests and horses. tough people with a good king.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:01 PM   #15
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

Quote:
Think about it, and you'll realize it's true. How many people have Merry as there favorite character? I can't think of a one.
Actually, although this is off-topic, my favorite character is actually Merry! Then Pippin, Boromir, Nob, and so on... yeah, just had to point out that he's my fave...

ON-TOPIC: Oh yeah, I have this all planned out. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] I'd be Peony Deepdelver from Buckland, and I'd be friends with Merry and Pippin (since Merry lives in Buckland, and where there's Merry there's Pippin). Yup. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 03:48 PM   #16
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

Quote:
I would probably be an elf, and live in Imladris. I don't really know who I would be friends with. . .
Yep, yep, same, same, HEY maybe we can be friends!!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Alatariel Telemnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 03:01 PM   #17
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Shield

Well for a race I would be half elf. And I would live everywhere I would stay in Rivendell for awhile then maybe go to Rohan and Gondor etc. But the place that I would always call home would be Lothlorien. And since I would be traveling everywhere I would be friends with as many people as I could! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 06:57 AM   #18
mrslegolastoyou

Sting

I have a weird felling I was born in middle earth I know some people might not believe this but it REALLY happened beyyond any doubt and this is what happened... I fell aslep and felt the wind on my face all of a sudden and then I woke up to see what it was and found my self ling on the grass it felt good and I was tired and I closed my eyes but then I herd the noise from down below it sounded like it was about to boil over! i figured out it was the ringwraiths and all of a sudden they started saying come back to middle earth and they wouldn't stop I got scared and I looked left and right right went to mordor because I could see the mountain and left went to rivindell because I could see the rivendell waterfall and I realised that I had EXTREMLY far eysite much farther than usual for I human and I ran awy towards rivindell and man could I run and the faster I ran the slower I got anfd the more powerful the ringwraiths got and then I triped and fell and I herd somone calling my name aradhelion and it kept on shaking me and saying my name aradhelion, aradhelion wake up it was only a bad dream. Its me LEGOLAS you said that you were going to pick flowers with your SISTER GALADRIEL and rememder what hapopened when you and your two sisters mom went to far and went to the outside the real earth were there is nothing but death so don't go pick the yellow flowers or you'll disappear to I don't want you to dissappear, I love you. all of a sudden there was a blinding flash and I looked out of the window (the same window Gandalf was looking out of and I was in the same bed that frodo was in) and Legolas was there and Galadriel was there and Arwen and they were all waiting form me to get out of bed so we can pick some flowers for our daddy ELROND and then I woke up and I was in my own roam or at least it was and ever since then I was always carful to remimber every dream I had of Middle earth... I woke up and tried to stand and my LEFT ankle (the one that I sprained in my dream) was sprained REALLY bad so I had to go to the doctor I told him the whole dream what I just told you and he didn't believe me and then the next night I had a dream that me and Galadriel were picking flowers and Arwen didn't go because she was to intrested in ARAGORN the first human any of us had seen but me and Galadriel got bored of watching him to see what he would do so we went to pick flowers and then Galadriel (after a couple of minites) had to go give her flowers to daddy and I went to pick some more flowers but I didn't realise that I had pick the really pretty (and pretty smelling)yellow flowers (wich turned out to be yellow Jasmen then I turned around to go home and I realised that the path was gone and I was standing on a hill and I saw this weird house with HUMANS and I was an ELF but when I started to cryy I noticed that all the flowers in my hand were those really pretty yellow flowers and that I WAS a human and I ran in the woods but ran back out because of all the weird animals that were there and pretinded that I was lost and my mom found me (my mom in real life) and then I WOKE up(remember that) and I watched all the family films and then my mom said that I wasn't in most of them because I was found out side and I asked her how she found me and she said that I was holding YELLOW JASMAINE and I was crying and speacking a different language and she recorded me speeking and it was in ELVISH becuse she found the tape and she asked me if I knew what language it was and I lied and said no and it WAS REALLY ELVISH it scared me half to death but I can't figure out how to get back to my real home in rivendell! Please help and tell me what I should do and what you think and what you think will happen to me!
Old 07-10-2003, 05:15 PM   #19
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Ring

I would be an elf. I would befriend Elrond, Gandalf, Galadriel and Celeborn. I would want to live in either Rivendell or Lothlorien. If you couldn't tell, I'm a big fan of elves. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2003, 06:30 PM   #20
Morodmir

The Eye

I'd b an elf and live near the Long Lake, I don't know why, or maybe a man and live in Minas Tirith.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:50 AM   #21
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I'd definitely be an Elf, but I'd live in Aman (near Formenos or Valinor), and I'd be friends with all the high and mighty, like Fingolfin, Finarfin, etc. etc.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:37 AM   #22
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I would of course be an Elf but at the same time I still feel that being human has it's benefits.. like leaving this world when they grow tired of it. Still I would be of The Avari, The Unwilling and I would live the first age and the ages before that in the far east and in around 1000 s.a. I would meet up with Sauron and become a captain in his army and in the end I would have my office at Minas Morgul and be in the first assault in the invasion of Gondor in the third age. My friends would of course be The Mouth and Sauron himself [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I would change my name from Rimpa to The Hand of Sauron. Hihi [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 12:48 PM   #23
Ulmo's Wave

Sting

hey there,
I think i would want to be an elf from rivendell living at the grey havens. Let me explain... Well, I like to think of Rivendell as more of the elven party spot in ME. Think about it. There's always singing, and feasting, dancing, etc. And the way I look at it,,if you want to be a party elf, you might as well also be at the beach(grey havens). SO, I think I would get some friends from Rivendell to head out with me to hang out at the beach where we can teach Cirdan how to dance. Because, frankly i don't think the 1st age elves know how to dance, a terrible disability.
Oh, and Arwen is deffinitely coming with me, she can just tell her daddy that she's going back to Lorien to hang out with aunt Galadriel again. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2003, 06:38 PM   #24
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I am an elf, i live in the Dark Wood, not known to many even of the elves, but i love to walk through Lothlorien for Galadriel though now gone back to Valinor was the closest of my kin and I loved her dearly. But for now I do not wish to leave my kingdom of the Dark Wood for I have not yet grown tired of the silver trees and sparkling flowers of blue. I am friends with all who are of good heart and have a strong fire within them, Many a time I have taken counsel with Aragorn so that i may see Arwen. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2003, 08:07 PM   #25
Noldorin King
Animated Skeleton

Noldorin King has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Of course I want to be an Elven King, say, Fingolfin son of Finwe? the strongest of the children of Eru who gave Melkor seven great wounds.hahaha! Wasn't it mentioned that he resembled Orome the hunter(when he set out to challenge Morgoth)? so he had the might of the divine,hmmm. the house of Fingolfin was most feared by the Dark Lord, how i want to be a lord of Gondolin or Hithlum or Dor-Lomin [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Noldorin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 01:17 PM   #26
Phantom der Oper

The Eye

I know it is weird, but I have always wanted to be a Nazgul. That is, I have no need to change the race, only give me a ring! (Scary looks and extraordinary voice guaranteed.)
My friends would be the eight colleagues, surely...
Old 07-12-2003, 01:42 PM   #27
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I was just wondering if anybody would perhaps want to be a Hobbit? I mean every one says elf but no body seems to like the quiet life in beautiful Shire or Bree?? Live in a nice big hole with a good long pipe and many meals a day?! If I wasn't a dark elf in the service of Sauron I would be a Rohirrim woman because they look a little vikingish and I'm from Norway and if I wasn't that THEN I would be a hobbit! I would live in Hobbiton and smoke my pipe while discussing important matters with the Gaffer! Then I would go on long walks and see the country! Anyone else that would just looove to do that????
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 07:28 AM   #28
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'd love to be a hobbit. A happy, short life with pipes, mushrooms, hobbit holes and big feet. Sounds like heaven!

I'd live in Bywater (pretty much in the centre of everything) and (as I'm just 16, a very young hobbit-age) I'd live with my family by the Pool.

Elves don't appeal to me really. Their lives seem very long, and they have to watch everything die and pass away. I'm sure being beautiful would be an upside, but the life of a hobbit is truly for me.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:28 PM   #29
Aredhel Ar Feiniel
Pile O'Bones

Aredhel Ar Feiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hobbits are fun, but I'd be an Elf...I'd live in Gondolin & marry Maeglin!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ July 14, 2003: Message edited by: Aredhel Ar Feiniel ]
Old 07-14-2003, 02:38 PM   #30
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
The Eye

I would be an Elf and I would live in… Rivendell or Mirkwood. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 11:27 PM   #31
Lady Dwarf

Sting

I would most certianly be a Dwarf! I would live in Erebor and befriend all the other Dwarves. It is sad that I'm the only Dwarf. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

BTW, Merry and Gimli are my favorite characters.

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: Lady Dwarf ]
Old 07-17-2003, 02:48 AM   #32
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'd like to be a woodland elf (mysterious), sort of like Goldberry, and I'd like to make friends with hobbits! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 10:36 AM   #33
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Silmaril

My mom told me that I was born on a starry night in June...

So I'd be an elf, born in Cuivinen (the spelling eludes me at the moment).
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 10:49 AM   #34
Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock
Animated Skeleton

Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I would be an elf and live in lothlorian and be friends with all of Elronds clan plus himself and Galadriel and prince Legolas.

[ August 05, 2003: Message edited by: Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock ]
Old 08-05-2003, 01:31 PM   #35
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hmmm. I think I would either want to be a Hobbit and live in the Shire, and be friends with Merry, Pippin, Sam and Frodo. OR I would want to be a human living in Rohan and I would be friends with Eowyn. I would want to be an elf except the living forever thing is really creepy to me. But I do think Rivendell sounds really neat.

toodles
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:46 PM   #36
Maeglanthirion
Animated Skeleton

Maeglanthirion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maeglanthirion
Tolkien

I'd be a human and a ranger and roam ME, visiting cities like Rivendell and Lothlorien and Edoras and Minias Tirith and so on. I think it would be cool to live on my own and be a terror with a sword and bow and so on. So far, I be the only ranger.
"I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, and we break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day, we fight!..."
Maeglanthirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 02:37 PM   #37
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

Whoa, mrslegolastoyou, that run-on sentence practically made my eyes explode... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 03:41 PM   #38
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Quote:
I think it would be cool to live on my own and be a terror with a sword and bow and so on. So far, I be the only ranger.
No longer... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I would be a lost Ranger of the Dunedain. A great bow, sword and horseman. Forgotten and left to roam Middle Earth alone, I would stay wherever my valourous travels would lead: the Shire, Osgiliath, Rivendell, Minas Tirith, Rohan, the wilds...
I would take counsel with other rangers such as Aragorn, as well as Gandalf, and the rest of the Fellowship, perhaps even the elves from Imladris and Lorien. Any of which I might also travel with from time to time.
I would befriend many. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Frodo Lives!

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 06:32 PM   #39
BlingBlingtheWarriorElf
Newly Deceased

BlingBlingtheWarriorElf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I'd be an elf from Mirkwood and my friends would be anyone except orcs, Gollum, and other evil creatures
Old 08-25-2003, 02:04 AM   #40
Ughósh the Abominable
Pile O'Bones

Ughósh the Abominable has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ughósh the Abominable
Thumbs up

HEY I'd just like to give a shout out for the Children of Aule! Dwarf all the way baby!!!

Geez, too many freakin' elves. Sheesh. Bunch of woodland ninnies...

Anyway I'd probably live in the Iron Hills, wielding a hammer in peacetime and an axe in war. Elves are okay, but not friends. Men are useful trading partners. Hobbits are the entertainment. But fellow dwarves are my brothers, and I will gladly die beside them in a bitter press.