The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #81
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
We came, we talked, we CONQUERED LIFE ITSELF

In other words, it was wonderful. We have great talent and it was great fun.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:44 AM   #82
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I say!

It was once again a wonderful experience of reading, I have been present only for the latter part when we were reading the Voice of Saruman (myself taking the part of Gimli and Merry). A few highlights: Saruwife (as opposed to Saruman) is somebody to whose Voice you could really listen for hours, and we had also a very cool Gwandalf. But also Théoddwen was rather good and Lommy's Éomer too, sort of young and brash. Aganzir Wormtongue should perhaps have had more lines (but she was a good Pippin too). Our poor narrator Kath, unfortunately, could not, after the reading, speak to us anymore because of exhausting her voice.

We had also brilliant sound effects, especially as we were getting closer to the end, with Saruman's staff breaking and then Palantír falling on the stairs, the stair cracking, the Palantír rolling on and at last falling down from there, the atmosphere was getting dense!

Later then, we still spent some time chatting as people were one by one leaving to their beds, eventually leaving me, Eönwë (who was present in the first reading, I understand, but not present when I came, and he later came back), Oddwen and Pitchwife. We ended up discussing deep philosophical things and linguistics... all related to Fungoltch and Shcmurt... in my case, it was around 4 AM when we called it over. But it was a very deep and enlightening debate. (as you can surely imagine )

But that said... this only confirmed the decision that we should continue doing this regularly. So, same time next month?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #83
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Indeed!

It's the first time I've actually talked on Skype to a BDer, and it was definitely amazing. Conquering life itself is an understatement, Oddwen.

The first reading of the troll scene was brilliant, though I assume that, like Gandalf, their "art improved with age."

And next month!? Next week! Though it probably isn't a good idea to do it too often.

There's only one thing left to add:
Moltch?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:46 AM   #84
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hasp grümfwřršt thgint hnus E-moot ? Rofl!

Yeah, it was incredible! As has been said, we started with the Troll scene; Oddwen was our narrator, Agan, Lommy and me were the Trolls, Kath was Bilbo, Eönwë Gandalf, and Gwath did all the Dwarves. When Legate joined us a short while later, we decided this was much too good to stop now and plunged right into the Voice of Saruman.
For the record, Eönwë's voice is very pleasant too, as is Oddwen's. And everybody else was fabulous as well. I couldn't but shrink back from my computer when Gwathdalf dismissed me from the balcony of Orthanc!
The following chat was quite unforgettable. Among other things, we discovered the true nature of the nameless things gnawing the roots of the world under Moria and found out which language Ilúvatar must have been speaking in the beginning (hint: see post title). Not to forget we all managed to pronounce Ibrin's full name (brag, brag).
Yep, let's definitely do it again next month!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #85
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Aye. Twas a grand time had by all.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #86
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'd like to join in next time.

Username: loslotesnowflower
Role: Either a female or a young person...I have a very high-pitched voice.
Time: The 25th of May should be fine whenever, because I should be done with school by then, but it's a while away so I don't know anything more specific.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #87
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sorry I couldn't respond to your call, since the list included me. I do have Skype now, so that wouldn't be a problem, but I was away at the German Tolkien Seminar and wasn't online to read about this meeting. However, please keep me on the list - I'll try to make it happen next time. Ioreth would have been great fun for me to speak!! Perhaps we could do the Houses of Healing next time? There are lots of roles there.

Aside from that, I'm willing to speak any character necessary or to narrate.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 04-26-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #88
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The coronation of Aragorn was one of our choices before we changed to Voice of Saruman, we could plan on that next time. Ioreth has a narrative there.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #89
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
++Esty for Ioreth
Old 04-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #90
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
It was indeed wonderful. The thing I will remember the longest, no doubt, were Pitchwife-Saruman's screams and maniac laughter.

And you should definitely count me in for the next reading unless it conincides with something else I'm doing.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #91
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hopefully next time will work out for me as well, then again May doesn't look too promising either...

I'm trying to find an easy method to record Skype conversations, however so far I have been unsuccessful. It should work with something like Audacity I guess, by recording everything that your sound card plays out plus what you speak into the mic.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #92
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Doing the Google, it seems Audacity will only record what you say. The program i-Sound might work, I've used that at my part-time job to record streams off the internet.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #93
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

That time of the month approaching again...

...and maybe we could try a little bit serious advance planning this time?

So what about next weekend (preferably Friday or Saturday maybe, for those who have to get up early on week days)?
Aragorn's coronation has been on the schedule for a while and is still undone. I posted a roles list for that a page ago (would be great if Ioreth Telcontar were available!). But other suggestions are also welcome, of course.

So, who's in?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:27 PM   #94
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Friday works for me if we're doing it around the same time. Maybe even Saturday.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #95
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I might well be able to be there for this...

Also, I think this can do it, though the free version only works for up to 15 minutes.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #96
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Saturday would be awesome, or even Friday evening for me, which would be early in the morning for the rest of you.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #97
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I should be able to on either day.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:31 AM   #98
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I'm sorry - this is a holiday weekend, so I will have guests here. Alas, Ioreth hath no time! I will not give up hope though - it will work out someday.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #99
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Again, I unfortunately have no time at all to spare this weekend... I wonder when I'll finally get some peace and calm here.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #100
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Esty, TM, don't worry, your day will come!
I'd prefer Saturday, but Friday would be possible as well. Or maybe even Sunday, as Monday is a holiday (where I live at least - don't know about the US though)? And about the same time as the last one - evening GMT = American afternoon = about noonish for Lottie? Or maybe later? (I don't mind staying up late, but 'early in the morning' sounds gruesome - sorry, Oddwen!*insert yawning smiley*).
About the choice of text - I'd be inclined to postpone the coronation until such time as Esty is available to do Ioreth, but what about other opinions? On the other hand, seeing how the second half of the last reading was successfully cobbled together on the spot, we can decide about that ad hoc depending on how many people actually show up.
Moldutch?
Old 05-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #101
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

It looks as though Saturday may work better for me as well.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #102
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Sunday wouldn't work very well for me, but about noonish my time works for either Friday or Saturday.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #103
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

So... when are we doing this?
Old 05-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #104
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
So... when are we doing this?
Indeed. I'm interested in joining whenever it starts. My Skype name is robynhalloran.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #105
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

OK, well if anyone is reading this and wants to participate, log onto Skype now and we can start!

If not, there's always tomorrow...
Old 05-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #106
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Well, it looks like tomorrow is going to work best for most people... presumably around the same time of day/night/whatever-it-happens-to-be-for-you, unless there are any objections?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #107
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Sure.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #108
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

That works.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #109
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Btw Eönwë, I just find that I unexplicably didn't get you on my contact list last time around. Could you please amend this?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #110
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Btw Eönwë, I just find that I unexplicably didn't get you on my contact list last time around. Could you please amend this?
I have now added my skype account to my profile. Hope that works.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #111
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Ok everybody, lads and lasses, ladies and gentlemen, barrow-wights and bodyless spirits!

We're doing it tomorrow at about this time, give or take an hour or two either way.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:10 AM   #112
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

They talked me into it. So, I'll be there... if I remember.
If I open Skype up as soon as I get home, I should be okay.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:10 AM   #113
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Yay! Hookbill's been assimilated!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #114
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Is anyone going to record these readings, by the way?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #115
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

I found a couple of programs that can do this, however my computer is being unreliable and crashing right now so I will share them with you all and someone will be able to make it work.

Recording with Audacity

Additional info with Audacity

Audacity (recording and editing program, it's a good program anyway)

A free recording software, haven't checked it out yet.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #116
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I have recording software, I just can't record from system on this computer. If I set up Skpye on my laptop I could push it. ..
Old 05-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #117
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

Poke me by PM or something when you're doing something, I should be glued to the computer for the next few hours since there's some essay-writing to do (and if I skip that, I feel like continuing a story I have written here, so I should be around anyway) but I'd also like to go to sleep early, so I might be already offline if you start late... So, actually, in case BD shows I'm online, poke me on this thread or by PM, if it shows I'm offline, don't bother about me because I'm (at least almost) asleep.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #118
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Oddwen, there's 5 of us now. I'd like to add you, but you seem to be offline on Skype.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #119
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Skype is updating now, not sure how long that will take. *sigh*

Old 05-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #120
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

In other words, if someone else wants to join, do it now. There's me, Pitch, Oddie, Lottie, Lauri, Eönwë and Hookbill around now. (Start by adding me - skype name: thinlomien - as a friend.)