The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2017, 05:03 AM   #1
Victariongreyjoy
Haunting Spirit

Victariongreyjoy has just left Hobbiton.
'Lord of the Rings' TV Series Being Considered By Amazon

Quote:
Amazon and Warner Bros. Television are in talks for a series based on J.R.R. Tolkein's Lord of the Rings, Variety reports.

WB and the Tolkein estate are said to be shopping the property around, with Amazon emerging as the early frontrunner. No deal has yet been made, but Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is said to be personally involved in the negotiations with WB TV and the estate of late LOTR author, J.R.R. Tolkein - a highly unusual procedure, which may convey just how serious Aamazon is about closing a deal.
http://comicbook.com/movies/2017/11/...zon-tv-series/
Victariongreyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:51 PM   #2
Rhun charioteer
Wight

Rhun charioteer has just left Hobbiton.
Have heard quite a bit about this. Remains to be seen if anything will come of it.
Rhun charioteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:33 AM   #3
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhun charioteer View Post
Have heard quite a bit about this. Remains to be seen if anything will come of it.
Indeed, I wouldn't get excited/worried yet- I've seen too many of these things fall through.

Still, couldn't it work? We've talked before about how a TV series would have the potential to be more satisfying to purists.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Indeed, I wouldn't get excited/worried yet- I've seen too many of these things fall through.

Still, couldn't it work? We've talked before about how a TV series would have the potential to be more satisfying to purists.
The question is would it be well done.

I'm already skeptical just on the basis of who is involved. I don't think their motivations lend themselves to being faithful to Tolkien's narrative. I fear Amazon is trying to make the next Game of Thrones. I don't want to see the Prancing Pony turned into a bordello.

I also think this is still too soon after the movies for anything else to really take off.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #5
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
WB and the Tolkein estate are said to be shopping the property around, with Amazon emerging as the early frontrunner.
Obvious misprint. I guarantee the "Tolkien Estate" is not shopping the property around, as "Tolkien Enterprises" owns the television/movie rights to LotR. And you'd have to pull the rights from Christopher Tolkien's cold, dead hands in order to get the Estate to agree to anything so fraught with the likely desecration of his father's works. Besides, C.Tolkien isn't even dead yet.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #6
Rhun charioteer
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Obvious misprint. I guarantee the "Tolkien Estate" is not shopping the property around, as "Tolkien Enterprises" owns the television/movie rights to LotR. And you'd have to pull the rights from Christopher Tolkien's cold, dead hands in order to get the Estate to agree to anything so fraught with the likely desecration of his father's works. Besides, C.Tolkien isn't even dead yet.
It seems every article discussing this has stated the word "estate" surely if it wasn't it would be corrected by now.

Also remember Christopher Tolkien will be 93 in a just a few weeks.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:59 PM   #7
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhun charioteer View Post
It seems every article discussing this has stated the word "estate" surely if it wasn't it would be corrected by now.
They're likely just copying from each other, though.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:57 AM   #8
Rhun charioteer
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
They're likely just copying from each other, though.
I thought that as well.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:26 AM   #9
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Obvious misprint. I guarantee the "Tolkien Estate" is not shopping the property around, as "Tolkien Enterprises" owns the television/movie rights to LotR.
I considered this as well, but "Tolkien Enterprises" has been called "Middle-earth Enterprises" since 2010. Personally I feel like this makes a misattribution somewhat less likely, but I agree that the idea of the Estate being directly involved, even active, seems incongruous.

Who knows? I daresay the truth will emerge eventually.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #10
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
You can't handle the truth!

Colonel Nathan R. Jessup: "Are we clear?"

Lieutenant Daniel Kaffee: "Crystal"
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #11
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It is, in fact, the Estate- probably not unconnected with Christopher Tolkien's resignation as President at the beginning of August. The original JRRT-United Artists contract explicitly reserved the TV rights, so this could not have come from ZaentzCorp/Middle-earth Enterprises, who only got film rights (plus "derivative rights" which their lawyers have ballooned into everything from videogames to poker machines).