The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #41
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
So my mom was saying that she wanted to see this movie with me when she came to visit. Now that she's here, I kind of want her to forget it. She always takes movies literally, even if they're not supposed to be accurate to the last detail.
That would merely give you license to explain all the wrongness.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #42
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
That would merely give you license to explain all the wrongness.
Well, a license to complain is very tempting.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:10 AM   #43
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I saw it tonight. I wanted to see the new local documentary 2040 but it was sold out (seeing it tomorrow) and my father had been asking me if I wanted to see the bio-pic for weeks so I decided to just bite the bullet.

It was better than I expected, but I found it tepid, unfocused and lacking in atmosphere and dramatic thrust. To me it seemed as if the film didn't know if it wanted to be about his writing, his relationship with Edith, the war, or his friendship with GB Smith, and by trying to be about all of these things to equal degrees it didn't say much about any of them.

I suppose I appreciated that it didn't entirely gloss over his interest in philology and Germanic language, myth and folklore, but I feel as if that's not saying a great deal. My father claims that the wallpaper in his study at the end was William Morris's Strawberry Thief design, which if so is a nice touch (historically accurate or not), as I'm a quite strong proponent of the Morris-Tolkien connection.

Regardless I think anyone interested in this period of the Professor's life would be far better off simply reading John Garth's (in my opinion) excellent Tolkien and the Great War.

Oh, and also I still think that if they really had wanted to make an interesting film about his early life (and budget wasn't a concern) it would be a quasi-experimental film which cut (preferably without explanation) between his wartime experiences and an adaptation of The Fall of Gondolin.

Last edited by Zigûr; 06-16-2019 at 05:16 AM.
Zigûr is offline   Reply With Quote