The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #841
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Lommy, I'm not sure that's the best place to get your-

Actually, no, it is. Yes, base all you're school work on the endless truth you'll find there in that impressive Newspaper.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #842
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
You know there's something wrong when you read a guitarist's name "Tony Iommi" as "Tony Lommi" (although you knew the name before!), considering it an interesting discovery. Do I need to add anything else?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #843
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I think it is a good enough sign that you show up at 5:26am in a time where you have both University, work, family and friends to think about.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:38 AM   #844
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When you see a clip of penguins on TV and think "ooh lommies"

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:03 AM   #845
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
Lommy, I'm not sure that's the best place to get your-
Actually, no, it is. Yes, base all you're school work on the endless truth you'll find there in that impressive Newspaper.
Well, in the end I used my English book as the main source, but looking for letters to the editor in the BD Newspaper surely provided me much-needed amusement so that my work wasn't too hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
You know there's something wrong when you read a guitarist's name "Tony Iommi" as "Tony Lommi" (although you knew the name before!), considering it an interesting discovery. Do I need to add anything else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
When you see a clip of penguins on TV and think "ooh lommies"
I think I should be flattered... Anyway, I'm amused at least.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #846
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
When you find a picture with penguins on a school forum and start wondering if Lommy is also there on the forum. (Lommy is in the same school with me, but she sure shouldn't be on that forum.)
Old 10-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #847
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
When you find it much easier to type your pseudonym than your real name!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #848
Volo

When you sit in front of a computer in school for 75min after classes end, to 6PM and press CTRL + R every half-a-second in the WW-thread.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #849
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Boots

When you rejoice when you realise you can write about BD in a school essay...
Old 11-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #850
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
When you sit in front of a computer in school for 75min after classes end, to 6PM and press CTRL + R every half-a-second in the WW-thread.
More to it: When you do have a porfectly working computer at home, but don't want to waste the 30 minutes it takes to get home and at school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Gotta hear more!
Old 11-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #851
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Your school must be the coolest EVER!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #852
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Your school must be the coolest EVER!
Oh it is! At least if would have asked me, I don't know about Lommy...
Old 11-02-2007, 01:11 AM   #853
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
Oh it is! At least if would have asked me, I don't know about Lommy...
The answer would be the same, don't worry...

I have a course in a subject called "media" and we had to write an essay about why we use media and which media we use and the teacher told us to include internet in that, so...
Old 11-02-2007, 03:03 AM   #854
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
When, even when you're no longer as often in the Downs as you used to, you mark your calendar with significant dates such as your deathday, some fellow BDers' birthdays, the day you overcame your fear and entered the RPGs through the Green Dragon Inn, the day you started PMing a BDer with whom you're still corresponding after two years (the 'anniversary' was a few days ago)...

...and it didn't even occur to you as a sign of your addiction because you thought it was completely normal.

Oh, thanks for reminding me, Lommy! Last year I took a Comm class, and one of our requirements was to make a speech. At that time I was addicted enough to talk about what I gained from joining the Downs.

Another thing - some songs remind you of the happy times when you had plenty of time to spare for the Downs. I can't enumerate any, but when I hear them, I get that eerie nostalgic feeling.

Lastly, when you come across good lines while reading books, you automatically think, Hmm, this would make a good siggy.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 11-02-2007 at 03:10 AM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #855
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When deprived of internet access and even cellphone reception

on holiday in remote parts ...you send postcards to every downer you have a real postal address for....

Old 11-07-2007, 02:46 AM   #856
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
When you are having two Downish dreams in a row. Hooray!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-07-2007, 04:11 AM   #857
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

When you think it's a lamentable loss that you've ceased (temporarily, hopefully) having BD dreams, or being a subject of one.

And you've finally caught yourself automatically thinking "Lommy" when you see a group of penguins in a photo. Yay!
Old 11-07-2007, 04:14 AM   #858
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
And you've finally caught yourself automatically thinking "Lommy" when you see a group of penguins in a photo. Yay!
Oh! I thought that's normal...
Old 11-07-2007, 04:18 AM   #859
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Oh! I thought that's normal...
It is! But whoever said I'm normal?

Speaking of whom...

When you find yourself wondering if Legate has three syllables, or two syllables and rhymes with date.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:26 AM   #860
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhuna
Finally? Is that some thing people should wait for? Like "Oooh, now I think of Lommy when I see penguins, now I must have seen the light!" or something like that?

Quote:
When you are having two Downish dreams in a row. Hooray!
Well, when you've had five BD dreams in a row, come back here and post it and I can consider taking it as a serious sign of addiction...
Old 11-07-2007, 04:48 AM   #861
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
When you find yourself wondering if Legate has three syllables, or two syllables and rhymes with date.
? *slaps himself to the forehead* What madness is that?

Two.

But as far as I know, it does not rhyme with date. In fact, I think it's very hard to find something that it would rhyme with. Hmm... I don't know.

Quote:
Well, when you've had five BD dreams in a row, come back here and post it and I can consider taking it as a serious sign of addiction...
Hey, what, you had five?

Well let's wait for the three following days. But I don't give much hope to it.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #862
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Finally? Is that some thing people should wait for? Like "Oooh, now I think of Lommy when I see penguins, now I must have seen the light!" or something like that?
Of course, Lommy. It doesn't say much about me as a Downer if I'm not easily able to make that association.

I guess I'm entitled to appear self-confessedly stupid occasionally... but just how is "Legate" supposed to be pronounced anyway, Legate?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #863
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I guess I'm entitled to appear self-confessedly stupid occasionally... but just how is "Legate" supposed to be pronounced anyway, Legate?
Don't worry, I had to look it up also when I used it (so that I knew it later if someone asked). English pronounciation is simply terrible, why can't they pronounce letters as they are written Simply, the pronounciation is something like "lae-get" (as in "lay" and "to get something"). Well, more or less.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #864
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Err it isn't ... is it?

I would say it leg-ut or legget may be - definitely not as in lay..

And there are good diachronic linguisic reasons for our spelling (as well as some random reasons) and in my opinion Mr Webster only confused the situation... why change plough to plow when it still is said differently to snow?

The Saucepan Man had a splendid sig that illustrated the many pronunciations of Eglish words ending in -ough (7 or 8 I think...).

Edit
Of course I am speaking as a speaker of more or less "Oxford English" .... the inhabitants of the erstwhile colonies may have a different opinion....

Last edited by Mithalwen; 11-07-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:41 PM   #865
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well my dictionary has this explanation:

legate = ambassador, envoy [leg-it]

http://www.yourdictionary.com/legate (with pronunciation, but the voice sounds liek Microsoft Sam)
Old 11-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #866
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I would say it leg-ut or legget may be - definitely not as in lay...
Yes, leg, good one, how come I did not think of that. "Legget" is probably the closest. But isn't lay, without the y, sounding the same? I mean, the vowel? Maybe a little bit longer... I just could not remember any words where the English people pronounce "e" as I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Well my dictionary has this explanation:

legate = ambassador, envoy [leg-it]

http://www.yourdictionary.com/legate (with pronunciation, but the voice sounds liek Microsoft Sam)
Good, that should serve this purpose. Thanks.

Okay, I hope this matter is solved and we don't get any chat skwerl to be sent against us...

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 11-07-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:00 PM   #867
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

[QUOTE=Legate of Amon Lanc;535520]Yes, leg, good one, how come I did not think of that. "Legget" is probably the closest. But isn't lay, without the y, sounding the same? I mean, the vowel? Maybe a little bit longer..QUOTE]

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/legate

No in British English it is quite a different sound - lay has a long pure vowel, leg has a short vowel so far in the back of the mouth that it is practically a gentle clearing of the throat. The mouth is in a completely different shape. If I say Legate with the lay sound I feel like I am auditioning for Minnie Driver's role in "The Riches"

Old 11-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #868
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Simply, the pronounciation is something like "lae-get" (as in "lay" and "to get something"). Well, more or less.
Yeesh...apparently I just can't pronounce anything right..

I've been pronounciating your name horribly wrong for a whole year. Now I must go re-teach myself.

You know you're addicted to the Barrow Downs when you spend twenty minutes trying to pronounce Legate, ha.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:59 PM   #869
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
So ... it's like ... leggit?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #870
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

When, as a ww-mod, you're annoyed by the invisble mode -rule because it makes you unable to stalk your players... especially at Nights...

Old 11-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #871
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
When although you're dead you keep refreshing the WW thread every 5 minutes.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #872
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

A few more examples of the "seeing 'downers -phenomenon":

My little sister was studying geography and reading her geography textbook aloud. I really wasn't listening to her, but one word did catch my attention.
Me: "What?! Did you say "runemuodostelma"?
Sister: "Silly. I said "reunamuodostuma"."
Good for me. Even though I must say I'm a master of mishearing words. Maybe that I managed to hear "muodostuma" as "muodostelma" gives some idea of it. (Muodostuma and muodostelma both mean "formation" in Finnish, "muodostuma" is just something that has formed by itself and "muodostelma" is something shaped/formed by humans. And the proper English translation of the term "reunamuodostelma" is "ice marginal formation" or something like that, in case anyone was wondering. )

Also, my sister read that her toothbrush said "Legate" when it really said "Colgate". When I laughed at her and told her she seems to be addicted to the BD she replied something like: "No, I'm not. That was all your fault, because you always speak of the Barrow-Downs and Barrow-Downs people." I leave it for you to judge which one of us is to blame.

Lastly, I couldn't help laughing when studying irregular Swedish and found "to burn": brinna, brinner, brann, brunnit. Sounded all too much like Brinn(iel) to me...
Old 11-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #873
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Also, my sister read that her toothbrush said "Legate" when it really said "Colgate". When I laughed at her and told her she seems to be addicted to the BD she replied something like: "No, I'm not. That was all your fault, because you always speak of the Barrow-Downs and Barrow-Downs people." I leave it for you to judge which one of us is to blame.
You, of course But still it seems to me that your sister could write to this thread herself. And whatever the case, I am very amused by this. (Actually, I happen to have a Colgate toothpaste...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Lastly, I couldn't help laughing when studying irregular Swedish and found "to burn": brinna, brinner, brann, brunnit. Sounded all too much like Brinn(iel) to me...
That's the only thing from all you named that I would consider "normal", because I would also read it like that. In fact, for already a very long time I have similar problem with the latin verb "volo". But that's even more obvious, I believe.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:58 AM   #874
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
But still it seems to me that your sister could write to this thread herself.
Fine. Though I don't (yet) consider myself as addicted to the Barrow-Downs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
When I laughed at her and told her she seems to be addicted to the BD she replied something like: "No, I'm not. That was all your fault, because you always speak of the Barrow-Downs and Barrow-Downs people."
No, no, no. It was more about her talking about Legate all the time...

EDIT: Wow, 10th post!!!
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #875
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Hahaha.

I really can't say if it's fun or horrible to have someone in your life that can analyse to you about which BD-related topics and which BDers you talk the most about. Maybe I should ask Little Green to make me some sort of a report or diagram and post it here...
Old 11-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #876
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

*envious cringe*

Nilpaurion Felagund, where in the real world are you!!!

Old 11-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #877
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Fine. Though I don't (yet) consider myself as addicted to the Barrow-Downs..
If not yet, then you have at least good start for it.

Quote:
I just hope it was all in good
Old 11-26-2007, 12:55 AM   #878
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I just hope it was all in good
One can always hope.

I wonder if it's a sign of addiction that it really bothers me more that I haven't written the final narration for my late ww-game yet than that I have several unwritten texts for my creative writing lessons...
Old 11-26-2007, 05:12 AM   #879
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I think that we are talking of an addiction to WW, which I would argue is not the same as an addiciotn to The Downs.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:56 PM   #880
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Well, Rune, if that's not good enough for you, how about making 107 posts in the past 15 days...?