The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe How have you read it?

This time around, I decided to skip over the last half of The Two Towers and go straight to the beginning of the Return of the King. I found myself quite interested in all the goings on outside the journey of the Ring itself. and also because I just wasn't ready for the darkness of the journey from the Emyn Muil to Ithilien.

Have you found something like this happen for you before? Have you read LotR out of order on readings after the first time? Or do you stick to beginning-to-end reading? Or is LotR more of an encyclopedic novel for you, that you page through to pick out certain bits of info? And whichever way you go with, please talk about the why's.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 07-15-2005 at 08:51 PM.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Have you read LotR out of order on readings after the first time?
Most of the time out of order, although this latest time, I forced myself to start from the beginning and go from there. Last year, I found myself constantly picking up The Two Towers and reading from "The Uruk-Hai," following Pippin in particular through his experiences in Fangorn and at Isengard. I think the Ents are the main cause of this, since I live in a place surrounded by many thick patches of tree-growth, and I believe the Ents are sending me psychic messages...(that last bit was facetious--before you white coat guys start over here with the tranquilizer gun!)

It is interesting that you had somewhat of a difficult time going through the journey through the Emyn Muil to Ithilien, lmp, as I seem to remember Tolkien had to write around that part and go back to it ("tackling the journey of Frodo to Mordor," as I remember a turn of phrase from the Professor concerning the writing of this part.)

My husband says the Passage of the Marshes is his least favorite part of LOTR, but he only says it 'drags,' and he can't get through it. I suppose the effect is an apt one! I am currently through the first journey to the Black Gate, and the Spring growth and 'dishevelled dryad loveliness' of Ithilien really has an impact after all that.

I can also see why you would go directly from Book Three to Book Five, as the story continues on one line without the jarring complete switch of storyline. I haven't tried reading it that way, but I may do that next time I dig out the books (I've got a mounting list of non-Tolkien books waiting for me to finish this Xth reading of LOTR)...

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Usually I stick to straight-through readings, but once I read it differently - I read Books 3, 5, and the start of Ch. 4 of Book 6 (Field of Cormallen) before skipping back and reading 4 and the rest of 6. I wanted to get a feeling for how it would go more sinuously.

It's been a while, though, since I've actually read LotR as my main reading source - usually I read a few chapters then come back a month later and read the next few chapters, etc - usually in sections - I might read up to the Old Forest, then up to Rivendell, then to Lorien. I do read it in order and keep my place bookmarked.

There are a few notable parts that I have read isolated and numerous times, though. I have read the Mt. Doom sequence many more times than any other part of the book, partially because it's very easy for me to get absorbed in that part quickly. I usually use this chapter as a quick escape to "re-attach myself" to Middle-earth when I'm tired or don't have a lot of time. Also, I find myself rereading segments of the chapters "Flight to the Ford," "Minas Tirith," and "The Last Debate" fairly frequently - generally when I get distracted from finding a quote for QQ.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
For over a year, I have been rereading LotR, one chapter a week - for the CbC discussions, of course! I must say, it's become a wonderful habit, reading the chapter on Sunday afternoon, then writing my introduction in the evening, usually. Right now, what with the summer slowdown, I really miss the habit on the weekends that are skipped.

I do page for references in between, looking for favourite quotes or pertinent facts when writing posts, whether discussion, RPG, or fan fiction.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 03:58 PM   #5
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Well, when I first read LOTR, I wanted to skip the beginning of TTT and get back to Frodo and Sam. I did read it all, but rather quickly!

Now, (aside from simple double-checking of facts) I prefer to read it straight through so as not to miss any of Tolkien's beautiful prose.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:21 PM   #6
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Interesting topic.

I have to say that all the times I've read it, I've read it all the way through, from start to finish. Nothing exciting. It's mainly because the last two times I've read it, I've read it out loud and I couldn't very well skip around, could I? But next time I read it, I'm going to be reading it to myself, and depending on how I feel, I think I'm going to skip from Book 2 to Book 4, and there to Book 6, stop at the end of Mount Doom and then go back to Book 3 and read what I didn't before.

But...I've not done that.

And at other times, I have just refered to it as an encyclopedia, as you put it.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
Fallenstar
Pile O'Bones

Location: In the land of Eren, the Garden of Ilrandir the Creator.
Fallenstar has just left Hobbiton.
I feel the same way, littlemanpoet. I can't stand the last half of the Two Towers, and can barely get myself through the first book up to the point of Strider. I guess one reason is that I hate hobbits, another might be that the journey of the Ring is not too exciting, I love battle scenes more.

The Return of the King is better than the other two books in my opinion....

And Tolkien do start off boring which is the reason for many people I know to stop reading LOTR.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:51 PM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
The second time I read it, I read it all the way through again, but since then I find myself just skimming chapters to the info that I desire. Mostly it's to find stuff on Boromir (if that's such a big surprise), to defend him from some of the critics. I also read through the Council of Elrond several times.

When the CBC discussions opened up I read through again each chapter at a time, but then I fell behind from being busy and had to just skip some chapters to get to the current one. (I find myself falling behind in the CbC discussion again now).
Old 07-15-2005, 08:10 PM   #9
Elendhel
Pile O'Bones

Elendhel has just left Hobbiton.
I always read from start to finish in order, enjoying the progression of the story. But the last time I read it, I was tempted to miss out the beginning entirely, having found that it tends to drag somewhat after seeing the films. Other than this I've never felt compelled to miss sections out, or read individual parts of the story.
Elendhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 04:19 AM   #10
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
In my youth I read 'The Hobbit' in one sitting whenever I had a spare day.

When I was an Eomer addict, I read and reread the battle of the Pelennor fields ... I dunno, maybe thirty times? A lot.

When I was a Boromir addict, I read all the stuff that he said or did, over and over.

Lately I find I can hardly pick the book up; it tears me apart too much. I can't go near the last few chapters. Pretty ironic since I have shelves full of the trilogy, and I can barely open the books.

When my life comes out of the pressure cooker for a bit, I may try again. I do miss Chapter by chapter.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:42 AM   #11
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Unless I'm looking for the answer to a trivia question or have a craving to look at a passage that I particularly like, I prefer to read the entire book in order. I like having the continuity of the story intact.

Recently, with RL schedules being out of control, I've been jumping out of order to my favorite chapters. I'll usually skip the battle scenes, if anything, since those were never the main focus for me. But I haven't been able to read at all for the past few weeks because my books are about 300 miles away.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:59 AM   #12
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Previously, I have read the trilogy several times, in order. However, over the last year or so, I've become a bit of a butterfly, skipping and skimming from one part to another.
This usually happens when I've read a certain section for research purposes, found what I want, and then found myself reading much further because I can't put the book down!
My husband despairs of me..."You're not reading that again, are you?"
I also have an ever increasing pile of non-Tolkien stuff to read but never seem to get around to it
Old 07-17-2005, 09:44 AM   #13
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots covering all angles

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
I see you are assuming, littlemanpoet, that first readings are always straight-through, in order readings.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 09:58 AM   #14
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I rarely read it in order anymore, mostly because the books are never all in the same place at once! I also find myself reading through random chapters when looking for quotes for Palantir of Fortune so there are some I read quite often and some that I have not read in a while.

There are some chapters that I skip over though such as The Council of Elrond and the chapter where Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas meet Gandalf the reincarnated because those tend to drag on a bit.

However, since starting to learn Quenya here I have been skipping through to find the poems and see how much I can translate.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:37 AM   #15
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots All Angles, Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
I see you are assuming, littlemanpoet, that first readings are always straight-through, in order readings.
LOL! You caught me with my assumptions showing!

Okay, I'm interested in this additional question: Did you read LotR out of sequence the first time? How? Why? What difference do you think resulted?

There, how's that for all angles?
Old 07-18-2005, 10:09 AM   #16
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The first time I read LotR, I read it straight through, because I felt all excited about reading it and felt the need to be proper. And I swear, I never skipped a page, even during the Council of Elrond!

Once when I was sick I started in the middle of The Two Towers and read only to the end of the Battle of Helm's Deep. I must say it was a very enlightening read, as it had been some time since I'd read any of the books and it was very absorbing. 'Tis sad that I never seem to read as well as when I'm sick, as I feel like doing nothing else.

I'm pretty sure you can pick up The Lord of the Rings at any poin in the story and just read. Any part of the story is just as good as any other part. It may seem sacriligious, but...why not?

Often when I pick any of the books up just to reference something, I start reading and can't stop!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #17
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've never yet read LotR in any kind of 'unusual' order. I read it straight through the first time around, at the time I did jump back and look at bits over again, just to clarify the story, though I wouldn't call it re-reading as such. I also started with The Hobbit - as I was 'borrowing' the books, my brother told me that I couldn't read them at all if I didn't start with The Hobbit.

Nowadays I will have a complete read through now and then, though I've not done that in a while due to reading it through in any case, albeit slowly, for the CbC discussions. But I always go looking for something, just for a passage, and end up reading chunks I hadn't meant to read. Sometimes I can find myself a few chapters on and have to stop myself.

I've never had any urge to read it in the wrong order just to see if it is any different because I think "if it aint broke, why fix it?".
Old 07-18-2005, 03:36 PM   #18
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
On various re-readings, I actually did the opposite of Arwen Imladris - I tended to skip Sam and Frodo's bits in TTT and RotK, concentrating instead on the rest of the Fellowship's adventures. I found the great trudge to Mordor, with smelly Gollum in tow, a bit depressing to be honest, compared with the more exciting and dashing adventures to be had in Rohan, Fangorn and Gondor....
Old 07-18-2005, 09:56 PM   #19
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
I read it straight through the first time, except for skimming parts of the Council of Elrond because it was (as I thought at the time) SOOO boring, and I wanted to get on with the action.

Now I read it from cover to cover, trying to miss a word of Tolkien's breathtaking description and straightforward narration. I've read it over ten times, and the more I read it, the less boring some portions get (such as Council of Elrond and Book Four).

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:04 AM   #20
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I've never done it, but I've planned to try to read LotR in a random order - just read a chapter I'd like to read at the moment and read the book like that. It would be nice to see what'll be the last chapter to remain... I wouldn't recommend that to novices, who're just getting hold on the story and the things between the lines and the whole book as a whole and complicated story, but after ten times or twenty times that kind of reading may make sense... So probably I'll do so when I reach the 20th time, which is a few normal times away...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:04 AM   #21
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I usually read LOTR in order, starting from page one. I guess this is because I just never thought of reading it differently.

Sometimes, I use them as research, and go back to whatever point in the story that I need to find a quote or whatever else I am looking for.

Someone I talked to once had charted out a complex timeline that involved reading LOTR in chronological order, according to the events that happened in the story. I may do that on my next read-through, as it sounds very interesting. I don't know how far I'd actually get without getting so wrapped up in the flow of the story that I forget to flip to whatever chapter I'm supposed to read next.

On readthroughs, I never technically skip anything, but some parts I have found that I skim over in my rush to reach my favorite scenes. It's not that I don't read them, it's that I read them less carefully. It's one of the hazards of me knowing what comes next.

I'd never read LOTR in random order as has been suggested by some, for two reasons: I love the way the story flows, and that it would never be random order, because I'd open it to a place and forget that I'm supposed to be jumping around randomly, and just read straight through from that point.

I sort of wish that I could be reading it for the first time again, but I never try to forget the ending, or what happens next...Wish I could, but it isn't possible. I do get wrapped up in the story, but never to the extent tht I did when reading it for the first time.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:24 AM   #22
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Well, my first time was the straight forward method. However, I found nearly all of the hobbit scenes to be boring, and I would skip them as I did my later readings. My next few times through, I would skip through to Helm's Deep in TTT, and then on to Aragorn/Gandalf in ROTK.

Now, I merely pick and choose those parts which I love. With the Hobbit, I tend to read anything dealing with Smaug, as he is my favorite character in that particular book. I tend to only read A Knife in the Dark, The Black Rider, Council of Elrond, and Amon Hen in the Fellowship. Though, sometimes I will read Gandalf's 'duel' with the Balrog. In Two Towers, I read the Three's hunt of the Uruk-hai, and Helm's Deep. With ROTK, I stick to the Siege of Minas Tirith, Pelennor, the tid-bit scene of Frodo and Sam seeing the Witch-King, and Aragorn/MoS at the Black Gate.
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #23
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
My first reading (which was not so long ago - only 4 years!) was of course in the normal order (first the Hobbit, then LotR, Appendices, Silmarillion.) I never felt an urge to skip anything (though I remember that I felt a bit exasperated in the Treebeard chapter). I am not a quick reader, I often reread the last bit , when taking the book up again after a pause.
My sons have the books in the German translation, and when my younger boy started reading them, I read together with him, all the time comparing with the original (because I was very disappointed by the translation!)
After having read the Silmarillion and Tom Shippey's excellent book (Author of the Century) I reread many parts of the books, because I understood many things much better now, but not from cover to cover.
Another reason to reread parts of the books were the movies: especially after TTT I reread all the parts that seemed "wrong" in the movie, eg the scene where Gandalf heals Theoden, all the Faramir chapters... the altered movie-characters made me love and appreciate the book-characters all the more.
Also, I had joined the BD and started to frequent the "quotable quotes" and ever since it is like Eruanna wrote:
Quote:
This usually happens when I've read a certain section for research purposes, found what I want, and then found myself reading much further because I can't put the book down!
And now I started reading from the start again for the chapter-by-chapter discussion.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:52 AM   #24
Elrowen Tinúviel

Elrowen Tinúviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elrowen Tinúviel
Silmaril

The first time I read them all the way through without skipping a page.

Lately I have been reading little bits and pieces for reference. (Alas! All of my books are packed and I must make do with the few I can find at the library. ) But when they're not packed, I tend to read them while skipping over much with Frodo and Sam - same as Lalaith, I prefer the Fellowship's journey over that of the Ring.
I re-read the Battle of Pelennor fields over and over.... same with "The Steward and the King".

Also, (to my sister's dismay and irritation), I re-read any and all Elvish over and over... and then I talk incessantly about the Elves and Rohirrim whenever I find someone who is even remotely listening.

-Elrowen
Elrowen Tinúviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:44 AM   #25
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
When I first read the trilogy, I read everything in order...

...except when it came to the RotK, where I skipped Book 5 and proceeded to Frodo, Sam, and Gollum....

I think I did that because I happened to have an entrance exam, and I was applying for a scholarship--you know the usual stress when reviewing for those kind of tests. However I wasn't able to put down RotK because I can't wait to see what happens to the Ring... till my dad locked up my books for me to seriously review. I finished all LOTR several months later, when the scholarship results were given... and I was sooooooo glad they did.
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 04:37 PM   #26
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Tolkien I am sorry there is no more replyes to this thread

As i would like to hear witch part of the books you find most interesting, exciting . . .

I my self allways reed all of the books in order, unless i am just refreshing my memory.(by this i mean reading just one or two pages) This i do manly because i keep on finding passages in the books witch i have forgotten or not noticed. this intrigues and excites me so i can not make my self skip a part of the book, so not to mis out on anything i read it all.
Allthoug i do often have a craving to skip over the last half of The Two Towers and go straight to the beginning of the Return of the King.
(Just like littlemanpoet)

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 09:32 AM   #27
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
The first time I read it I read every jot and tittle.

Since then I always skip Treebeard. It moves so slowly and I can't take the fact that they can't make a decision!

Guess I'm just one of those hasty folk!
Old 09-25-2005, 09:37 AM   #28
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hmm, on a recent reading I have found that I occasionally skip past the songs and poems. I think because I want to get on with the actual story.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:41 AM   #29
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I read it begining to end. No skipping. Mind you, when I do read it, I sometimes end up skipping a few scentnces here and there. Next time I read it, I'll probably do it the way you did littlemanpoet, just to see what it's like.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:57 PM   #30
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Up until now, I have always read the book straight through. Many times, however, I would get sidetracked and end up putting it down for months. Currently, I have picked up the habit (entirely from 'Downers) of reading my favorite chapters. I am intrigued by the idea of following each thread of the story, though, and when I actually have time (too many humanities classes), I will try it.

I usually tend to get stuck with Frodo and Sam, especially in the Dead Marshes and the Plateau of Gorgoroth. Although the latter is growing on me, because some of my favorite quotes come from the journey through Mordor.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:19 PM   #31
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i read straight through the first time, but skipped some "boring" (were they really ) parts. but i started my first annualy reading last year. i thought that i'd better do this, cuz i found myself reading random parts, usually just my favorite (pelennor fields, bridge of kazad-dum, last debate, scouring of the shire, to name a few) over and over. i was getting stuck in a rut, so i read straight through (i think this was actually the first time i had sat down and forced myself to read everything stragiht through). interestingly enough, im finding it kind of hard to start it up again this year. maybe ill make it my bi-annual reading...
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 02:01 PM   #32
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I read it straight through once or twice a year.
I do read the Fellowship the most up until the council. To me, it seems to be a story unto itself; merriment, adventure, scariness and (unlike Fallenstar ) I like hobbits. Same with Scouring of the Shire, about hobbits that I love and a story unto itself.

When not reading straight through, I skip Helm's Deep most often. Even though, it didn't have everything in it, I do appreciate the movie because I understand that part better.

I have not, to this day, read all the 'lays' and poems, Ugh!! they're too long!! Every once in awhile I'll force myself to read one all the way but it is so torturous.
*ducks, while eggs being thrown at me*
Old 10-17-2005, 05:20 AM   #33
luthien-elvenprincess
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: what are you doing here? did you come here to eat my popcorn?
luthien-elvenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
The first couple of times I read it straight through. But now, when I read it, I start skipping chapters beginning in TTT. I follow the Frodo and Sam chapters until I reach Mount Doom. Then, I go back and read the chapters about the rest of the fellowship until I reach THe Field of Cormallen. Then, I read the rest of the book to the end.

I like the continuity of the story that this type of reading gives. I going to employ the idea of using another character to follow through the story...for instance, Pippen.

I usually skip the poems and the songs...I find them long and boring. I usually skim through them just to find answers to quotation questions!
Old 10-17-2005, 02:37 PM   #34
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
I have not, to this day, read all the 'lays' and poems, Ugh!! they're too long!
Quote:
I usually skip the poems and the songs...I find them long and boring.
What a pity! Do you generally dislike poetry, then? I love most of the poems in LotR and I even know my favourite ones by heart! (No need to look them up ) Tolkien's language is so beautiful!
Already when reading "The Hobbit" for the first time, the dwarves' song delighted me, (even if I had to look up a lot of ancient words in the dictionary)
And I never would have thought that I would develop a taste for alliterative verse, but now I relish "Out of dark, out of doubt, to the days rising... etc" !

It does credit to Tolkien that his works appeal to so many different people with quite different tastes. Some are more Hobbit lovers, some prefer the heroic battles - there is something for nearly everybody.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:23 PM   #35
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

I love the songs and poems but I often find that they break up the story too much for me. If I just pick up one of the books and read from any old place and there happens to be a poem I will then read it but if I'm really into the story and I've begun from the start of a book then a poem just seems to be in the way.

I did learn the Oliphaunt song by heart though!
Old 10-17-2005, 08:28 PM   #36
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

In my first couple of readings I skipped some of the Elvish songs, but not the Hobbity ones. But Tolkien's poetry has grown on me and now I consider them to be integral to the story. In a certain sense, to me anyway, they are the story.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:51 PM   #37
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

sam's poem about the troll is awesomely hillarious. i always relish the time leadnig upt to it . it says so much about sam (the fact taht no one knew he was such a verse writter)...

the poetry is amazing in general. i love coming to a song i know of and rereading it. such as galadrial's song of regret/whatever when the fellowship leaves lorien. or gimli's song about kazad-dum. or sams song of teh oliphant.

i like how becuase i know the plot, i can focus on different things. like sometime i'll puzzle out teh mystery of aragon's kingship. or another time ill focus on sam adn frodo's journey. one thing i've always wanted to do (but it would be increaibley hard. maybe ill do it in the summer when i have time) is draw up a really detailed map of middle-earth and plot things on it. just read through and plot where this person in when sam and frodo are here, etc. i think that would be so awesome. then i could pin it on my wall and worship it every night.
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:16 PM   #38
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I just really like silly poems, lymericks stuff like that, I prefer things that rhyme.
I should have been more specific, I love and have memorized (singing them to my children) the hobbit poems, but the elvish is "work" to me.

If something is a forced read, like in a class, I certainly do appreciate a person's work, understand the haiku having certain syllables in the three lines, descriptive language and even play on words, etc. But if it's for my own entertainment, I'll be honest, I like "There was a man from Nantucket...." than "Is there anything as lovely as a tree" (or whatever that tree poem is).

I will mirror the sentiments that Tolkien could do so many varieties that there's something for all.

Last edited by Holbytlass; 11-14-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Holbytlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:41 AM   #39
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

For me, I always have trouble getting through The Two Towers. It just seems a little bit TOO slow.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:21 PM   #40
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
I'm with ninja91. The first half of the Two Towers was fast-paced...another of the Fellowship dies, Gandalf returns, a new country is introduced, new characters are met, an against-all-odds battle is fought.

The first three books (I, II, and III) of the Lord of the Rings are my favourite. Book IV, the second half of the Two Towers, really slows down. As I've read it since, sometimes I've only skimmed some of that, mostly skipping the Frodo/Sam/Gollum-only bits. I read all of the Faramir section, then it's on to Chapter 1: Minas Tirith.

Last edited by Legolas; 05-26-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote