Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2004, 06:17 PM   #361
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Ok, both sasser worms are dead and purged from my pc and a post is up. Doran is on the way and he saw some action too. I ended my post when his ships got hit from the storm, in case you couldn't tell.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:52 AM   #362
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

I'm here, I'm here! Won't even begin to appologize for my absence, that would take too long. But I am sorry for being remiss.

I'll post the Marx/Boromir death thingy and give Telson some stuff to brood over. Will have it up by tonight. Really. I promise.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:16 AM   #363
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Maika: My apologies for not checking in; my computers filter was down and the password wasn't working, and then the BD was blocked again... too many problems!

I am assuming that the Gondorians are captured, on the Might of Realge? I never saw the name anywhere, and thus didn't want to assume.... if so, I will get another post in for Graring.

Himaran
Old 05-09-2004, 04:00 PM   #364
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Silmaril that's affirmative

The Gondorians are on the Might of Realge. As I understand it, it'll rendezvous with the Yonder Bound some time later and transfer the prisoners. (I assume this is because Yonder Bound is a Large Ship - more room, more strength.) So please post for Graring. He's on the Might, isn't he? I checked the RPG just now and that's what it looked like.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:35 PM   #365
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Question A Proposal

I will be moving home from school tomorrow, so I won't be able to write anything until Wednesday. But unless someone else posts in the meantime, I'd like to move the story along, probably Wednesday afternoon or evening. (Unless unexpected family stuff happens. ) So if Himaran's post doesn't transfer the prisoners to the Yonder Bound I'll do that, and then the storm and see how far I go. Unless you'd rather I didn't, Maika, or someone else's just dying to write it themselves.

Is that ok with you, then? If so, it'd help if I could have a status report on Devon. I'm really unsure about how his injury would logically effect him, and I don't know how unscathed you want him after the capture. He seems a little moody, too, so I was wondering about that.

I don't want to offend or upset anyone, so please tell me if there are any problems. I'd like to keep this from stagnating again.

Carrying on,
Nuranar
Old 05-11-2004, 12:38 PM   #366
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

No, that's fine by me - thanks if you'd do that, Nuranar
Old 05-11-2004, 08:18 PM   #367
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Everyone:

My post is up: Prisoners have been transfered to the Younder Bound/ I'm contemplating ways to get Graring moved with them... any ideas?

Himaran
Old 05-11-2004, 08:37 PM   #368
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Himaran: Herm...maybe you could put Garing on guard duty? The prisoners certainly need watching.

Nuranar: It's cool by me, too.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:13 PM   #369
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting Stormed and Wrecked

Thanks for the postive feedback, people. It's very encouraging!

I've just posted; the Yonder Bound just sank and what's left of crew and company are in the water. This post ended up being told almost exclusively from Calnan's viewpoint with a little bit of omniscient narration. That's where I have to say something that Calnan, as a landlubber, wouldn't know. Of course, being a landlubber myself, I found it a bit difficult to adequately describe a tropical storm and the breakup of a ship. Apologies for all inaccuracies and improbabilities, and as always, I'll edit in corrections.

Himaran, guard duty for Graring is probably good, but you could also have him sent to Doran; after all, he is the only survivor of . . . whatever that first ship was. I can't remember the name. Doran would probably want to hear a corsair viewpoint on it. Also, if you want I can put in a reference to Calnan seeing him, especially if Graring has a grudge and you'd like to play that out in the future.

Now, who wants to handle the confusion of how widely scattered we're going to be on the random shore we all wash up on?
Old 05-13-2004, 08:13 AM   #370
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Glad to see this game finally moving along.

Nuranur:

Graring was on the Bound and washed ashore. He has just noticed a small group of Gondorians on the shore. The others, I am assuming, are still scattered. Maybe small groups could form on different parts of the shore, with Graring tracking one of them. Even now, stranded on an island out in the middle of nowhere, and considered dead on three possible ships, all he can think of is reward! How... corsair like

Himaran
Old 05-13-2004, 03:49 PM   #371
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hi

I had planned for this game to be done by the end of May.

How is the storyline coming along with regard to this deadline?

~*~ Pio, Game Moderator
Old 05-13-2004, 05:24 PM   #372
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, I'm not too sure what Maika had in mind. I think it would be possible for us to end it by the end of May, if we rush it just a bit. But it's in Maika's hands, who seems to be very busy again, poor thing. I know how that feels...

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be alright if I picked up a little secondary-type character until Adeline gets into the action a bit more. I know it is kind of a bit late for that, but I was wondering if I could pick up the role of one of the Gondorian prisoners now stranded on the island. I already have a post written up for this (I guess I got a little carried away...), so I will post it and wait for feedback to know whether or not it needs to be deleted, or just modified in any way.

Thanks!

-Durelin
Old 05-14-2004, 07:56 AM   #373
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien We're back on track!

Himaran - I was going to say I'm "glad" for Graring to be still with us, but I guess Calnan wouldn't think so. But for the game, I'm glad he's washed up on shore!

End of May, Pio? I think it would happen - provided someone moves to the story along at least every few days. We're pretty close to the end, it looks like. One more fight - and a land fight at that. No more ships!

Durelin, I enjoyed your post - very well written. I don't have a problem with your new character.

No Maika? Sadness. But please, let's keep this going so that she can jump in when she has a chance, instead of spending her time in lighting a fire under us again. Arvedui or Aman, would one of you be able to start the next part of the plan?

Quote:
On the beach of The Bay from which Doran has sailed lay the remains of the Yonder Bound. They had been nearly two leagues from there when the storm came upon them. In the jungles beyond the sand gathers what's left of Avershire's men. Among them are Avershire, Meri, Devon, Calnan, Callath, and Telson (unless one of the main characters resigns) plus a dozen other crewmembers. They scavenge for food and erect some decent shelter (one of the surviving crewmembers is the North Wind's carpenter. They're also hiding from the few corsairs that have survived.
One last note - in finding the above plan, I discovered that I hadn't followed it in particulars for the storm and shipwreck. I'm so sorry! I'm at home now, I had to write the post on another computer, and I either forgot or couldn't find that outline. If it's a problem, tell me.

Carrying on,
Nuranar
Old 05-14-2004, 08:41 AM   #374
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Nuranur:

Since I have Jurex on Doran's flagship, is it fine If I post about Doran finding the remains of the 2 destroyed ships North Wind and ....? and then turn towards the island, finding the Younder Bound's wreckage and landing on the shore?

Or should I wait until the poor widdle Gondorians have enough time to deal with their booboos?

Still the happiest BarrowDowner,

Himaran
Old 05-14-2004, 02:43 PM   #375
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree Thinking online (as opposed to out loud)

Hmm. Here's my recommendation: I would have Doran finding a survivor from the Dawn or the Might. That way he can find out the North Wind is sunk and the Gondorians captured. Then he can maybe find wreckage from the Yonder Bound, and maybe sail for the island, knowing it's the logical place to look for survivors. My reasoning is below. It's long because we're actually dealing with four ships, not counting Doran's!

~*~
The North Wind sank fast during the fight. (Remember abandoning ship during the battle, moving the wounded and all?) What wreckage left would be just bits of wood, rope, maybe personal effects, etc. - nothing substantial, just floatable things that came loose. Most of the ship's on the bottom of the sea.

The Regal Dawn (I looked up the name!) was the ship that the Gondorians captured and took over when the North Wind sank. They were able to capture it partly because they did such a good job of battering it with the North Wind's catapults. Unfortunately, that's why they hadn't a chance as the Might of Realge came up; the Regal Dawn was crippled. I find that no one said what happened to it after the Gondorians boarded the Might of Realge and were captured. I think the Might's captain would've sent men to repair it, presumably with the help of whatever remained of the Dawn's crew. (I assume they were imprisoned below, although we never said.)

Cripple and/or under repair, the Regal Dawn wouldn't have been able to accompany the Might of Realge to the rendezvous with the Yonder Bound. So we just don't know what happened to it, if it was far from the storm and rode it out better, or if it sank as well. If it somehow survived, I would think it would've been blown a very long way off course; it was in no shape to fight against the wind.

I'd think the Might of Realge, after transferring the prisoners, either went off on orders, or stayed to accompany the Yonder Bound. I didn't mention it being nearby in the storm post, but that means nothing because I doubt they'd have been able to stay together in the storm.

The way the Yonder Bound sinks, more by breaking up than by capsizing, there would probably be quite a bit of floating wreckage, both at sea and on shore.

Now, as far as Doran coming across wreckage:

The fight between the North Wind, Regal Dawn, and Might of Realge takes place far out at sea; I doubt if Doran would run across the site by accident. Also, this would be taking place a minimum of 24 hours later and after a storm, so the wreckage would have been scattered far and wide and not be a very significant indication of any battle. Not to mention that a storm had just been through. If you saw a wrecked house just after a hurricane, wouldn't you think the storm had did it, instead of jumping to the conclusion that it had been bombed? Maybe not the best analogy, but I hope you get the idea; Doran would have to be paranoid to assume a battle.

As far as the Regal Dawn and the Might of Realge, it's a lot more open with what happens. You could write that one or both sink, break up or whatever, and Doran could find wreckage or even a forlorn survivor. That'd be even better for finding out what happened. Keep in mind, the storm would still have sent any wreckage a long way.

All that said, I must admit I don't know what Doran (in the Rapscallion?) is even doing and where he's supposed to be. If you know more you can work out something else, maybe.

I hope I haven't confused you - so sorry for the length! One last thing: For story continuity, it might be best if you waited until the Gondorian storyline starts, just to establish their presence on the island. Other than that, please go ahead - happiest BarrowDowner!
Old 05-15-2004, 08:37 PM   #376
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Hi everyone!

I was thinking of a good time when Doran could come across the survivors and we can have our last battle. I figured that it would be good for me to wait until you Gondorians get settled on the island and get things going there before I show up, just like you recommended Nuranar. Hmmm, if Maika doesn't show up by the time we get to the end, should we actually end it?
Old 05-16-2004, 01:14 PM   #377
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hmmmm, since we should be drawing near the end, I was considering some ideas, as well...mainly about Doran's position, because he is the main concern of my character. So, if anything I suggest goes against what has already been planned, I did not mean it to, as I am thoroughly confused on where everyone is going to be, and when.

I believe Doran should have received word through some means about the taking of Gondorian prisoners. Could they use birds...? (Hmmmm...messenger seagulls... ) After the ship is taken in the storm, he stops receiving 'updates' from them. Or, the fact that they have taken prisoners draws him to them, wishing to question them himself, make sure none of them are anybody important, etc. Most likely he doesn't trust any of his men to do any of this on their own. This could eliminate Doran's having to come upon the wreckage site by chance. Also, even with small signs of wreckage and know sign of any ships, if Doran could somehow know the ships' last location, he could assume the worst, easily. Landing on the island to investigate, hopefully, seems like a good idea.

What if I had Rakein almost as a scout: Doran lands on the beach near where Rakein has 'camped out', and Rakein observes them. When he sees a woman among them, he knows she is a prisoner and perhaps even that she is Adeline, friend and Devon. So he decides that he must find the others, as he cannot get his revenge on his own, and thinking of the safety of the woman.

How does that sound to get things going toward a final battle? Unless it is just easier to assume that the Gondorians are given plenty of time to rally together, as well as plenty of motivation to. Also, my idea would need a reason for Doran to wait on the island before immediately hunting down any Gondorians, or even any corsair, perhaps. His searching for his shipwrecked men could give the Gondorians time to find each other, but his searching most likely would also find the Gondorians... Am I making any sense?

What does everyone think? Hopefully I at least started some thought about stuff, even if I was unable to coherently establish any plot possibilities...

-Durelin
Old 05-16-2004, 01:22 PM   #378
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

I would like this game to close on May 31st, Midnight, Pacific Time U.S.

Since Maika has not posted since 04/25 on either the Game or the Discussion Thread, the other gamers will need to carry her character along and bring this game to conclusion by then.

Please do discuss the options presented by Nuranar and Durelin and bring this game to a succesful end.

~*~ Pio, Game Moderator.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:55 PM   #379
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

No problem, Pio. This game will be over by then. I guess we can't worry about Maika anymore not posting. We'll end it when we get there.

Durelin, so your suggesting that Doran come across some floating Gondorian's after the storm who are adrift in the sea and question them, then go to the island to investigate? Thats the idea that I got from your post, and if thats the case, I like it. Thats what you said also, Nuranar.

So, here's the plan-
Devon and the Gondorians and Corsairs get to the island and start fighting eachother.
Meanwhile, Doran comes across some survivors floating in the ocean and goes to the island to investigate and finish off Devon if Devon is there.
As they battle on the island, which I say should go on for a few days because they'll be chasing eachother, a seperate Gondorian force shows up and enters the battle. That turns the battle against Doran and the Corsairs lose and Doran, Jurex, and Acacia are taken back to Umbar for trial, and a possible execution? Here, you can kill off all secondary characters, if you want. Some major characters can die too if you guys would like. Would it be interesting if Devon died in a fight with Doran? I think that would be cool.
So, the last posts will be back in Umbar with the trial of the Corsairs and executions, if we have any. Or we can have some escape?

You guys like?
Old 05-18-2004, 08:18 AM   #380
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe It sounds like a plan to me!

Earendil, thanks for putting things together coherently. You summed up what Durelin and I said very neatly, I think. Himaran, how's that with you?

About how to finish it up with the corsair protagonists, I'm not sure; I kinda figured that was your area, with Doran being your character and all. About other major characters . . . yeah, it'd be cool if some of them died. I'm a bit attached to Calnan, though, and I might use him in later stories, so I'd rather not kill him. So much for my team spirit! With that in mind, though, I'd just caution not to kill Devon without making every effort to contact Maika. I think that'd be some serious Forum Rule Violations. No point in testing Pio's patience any further.

It appears that the corsair contingent is well represented. What about the Gondorians? Aman, Arvedui? With the storm and the wreck, I did the last post that concerned the Gondorians, so would one of you move us along? That's what's holding us up, although Doran could go ahead and find his survivors at sea.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:26 AM   #381
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

I'm here. Unseen maybe, but I have been checking in regularly, honest! Nuranar, could you check your PMs please?
Old 05-18-2004, 12:37 PM   #382
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Ok, good idea about killing characters, Nuranar, even though I don't know how we'd actually contact Maika. But I guess that if she doesn't check in by the time we get to the battling and stuff that we can do with her character what we like. I think thats in the rules, if I remember correctly. Anyways, everyone can just do what you want with your character's fate, which is what normally happens anyways. But with characters that have no players, we'll be democratic and vote on what happens to them, so...

Who all votes for Devon to bite the dust? Vote either "yea" or "nay."

"Yea"= a vote in the affirmative for death

"Nay"= a vote in the negative for death

My reasoning for voting NOW is that if we get to the battling at the end, we'll already have our plan on what we're going to do and we won't have to waste anymore time deciding that. If Maika does show up, then all's well. But at least we'll be prepared.

Ok, you Gondorians get posting and get the island scenario set up so that Doran, Jurex, and Acacia can show up and start the battling. We'll set a deadline so that we don't run out of time for this whole RPG.

Doran, Jurex, and Acacia will arrive on the island and start battling on Thursday May 20th. All players wishing to get in pre-island posts need to do so NOW.

That leaves us 10 days for the trials and wrapping it up.

Let's Go!!!
Old 05-18-2004, 12:50 PM   #383
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Yea!

But hey, we're talking major drama of the duel-ish persuasion, I assume?
Old 05-18-2004, 01:51 PM   #384
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Shire rules state:

Any character that goes missing for a two week period of time can be "killed off" or "lost" and will be out of the game.

The character, Devon, may be carried along now and disposed of in any manner the other gamers see fit.

~*~ Pio
Old 05-18-2004, 02:12 PM   #385
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

The plan sounds good. I'm standing by for posts.

YEA for Devon (or.... against Devon, I should say) - its about time the little rip got what he deserved.

I would like Graring to be left on the island. You know, the hermit thing. Jurex will not be captured. He will die, a tragic end to a miserable and desolate life. Poetic, actually.

Anyway, its about time this game rested in Elvenhome. Give it your all this last week or so, troops!

Himaran
Old 05-18-2004, 02:48 PM   #386
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sounds excellent. You reached the point I was trying to get to, Earendil, though, after all that, I was unable to reach it...

I will get up a post for Rakein, having him spot Doran landing on the island before or after you post the landing, Earendil, and have him report this to Devon. If that's okay with everyone...? If you have a preference as to when (before or after, or anything more precise...), Earendil, then just let me know and I will do my best to get the post in when you want it.

Thanks!

-Durelin
Old 05-18-2004, 05:14 PM   #387
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Ok-
3 yea's (me, Aman, Himaran)
0 nay's so far...

Quote:
its about time the little rip got what he deserved.
Yeah, thats the spirit! I like that kinda talk, Himaran!

Durelin I figure it will be better if you posted about Rakein after I posted Doran's landing. I plan on going no further than the landing, so then you can take any details you want and add to your post, if you like. I'll post the landing sometime Thursday evening and we'll fight to Sunday evening. Oh, btw, what was your vote?

Any more votes?
Old 05-18-2004, 07:04 PM   #388
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

My vote is for the posting on the game to begin . . .

~*~ Pio
Old 05-19-2004, 07:37 AM   #389
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Always one for the wise, sentimental statements, aye Pio?

IMPORTANT!\

Graring made contact with the corsairs. They are going to raid the Gondorian shore area. Since Callath and the other Gondorian saw them, perhaps they can run back and alert the Gondorians to the coming fight. Just so the corsairs won't humiliate them too badly....

If this is to be played out, it must be done today! Tomorrow, Papa Doran arrives.

Himaran
Old 05-19-2004, 10:17 AM   #390
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien Projected butcher's bill

This is so terrific, having everyone back on board! Pardon the pun - it was NOT deliberate.

I'll be posting later today about the raid on the Gondorians by Graring's pals.

Sure, let's rub out Devon. Someone's got to go! But I'm also wondering about the others. As Earendil said, we really need to get this sorted out before the last battle. Mainly I'm curious about Avershire, Meri and Sedal.

Also keep in mind that in my post in the brig I specified there were barely a dozen prisoners. That means that, including Devon, Callath, Calnan, Telson, and Rakekin, there are 5 survivors already - and not mentioning who didn't survive the wreck. I'm nervous about killing all of Maika's characters, but ... it's not realistic for everyone to survive a wreck, much less wash up on shore within a hundred yards of each other. And neither is it realistic to have all our characters survive and lose only the "expendable crewmen." Any thoughts?

Carry on!
Nuranar
Old 05-19-2004, 11:24 AM   #391
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril Chop chop chop...

I know what you mean, Nuranar, but...well, no one too drastic. Certainly at least one NPC who has been more frequently mentioned should die...well, I think so, what do you think?

Nuranar - do you know whether Maika will be coming back before the end of the game at all? I know we have sort of said the game will finish without her, but if there is a chance, it isn't really fair to kill off her favourites, like Avershire. After all, as he has a bio, he is, technically, a played character.

Marx is obviously already dead.

Avershire - to kill him off would be quite a large step actually. Do you know if she had any plans for him? Possibly it would be better for him to go down fighting, but then, it would be a massive blow to moral if he was found dead. The arguements for and againsts seem to even up there.

Lolliway - the silent conflict between Meri and Calnan was quite interesting, I thought. Possibly Avershire could be dead and she alive? Maybe she and Calnan could fight together or something, she covers his back and the debt kinda gets sorted that way? Or, alternatively, she could die and behold the waves of guilt upon Calnan...(unintentional pun, I never realised how much the sea comes up like that! )

Sedal - I don't suggest that the surgeon dies, actually. I would quite like it if Sedal lived. But maybe....well, maybe I am being morbid, but he could have sustained some serious damage in the fight - maybe a mast fell, hitting one arm? Anyway, maybe I am just being harsh, but maybe he lost an arm...*evil*

Luc - Now, pity for the boy, but I think Luc would actually be perfect to get rid off. He has been mentioned frequently in my posts, in several references in Maika's and in a few of yours, Nuranar, so he is quite a well known NPC, without too much of his mind being known. For him to have been killed would be a big blow to Callath - they were getting quite close having worked together. One condition, if I may - if he does go, Callath gets to find him? Chop, I say.

Yulman - mentioned a few times in posts by myself (and Maika?) at one point - he's the drunk, rather ripe older sailor who was being treated at Callath and Sedal's meeting, if you remember? Maybe not. Here is the description from Maika:
Quote:
age unknown, looks anywhere between 40 & 70 loud boisterous sailor, who gets drunk most of the time, has the stamina of any sailor
Bearing in mind the sparseness of the description, I doubt there were any real plans for him. I reckon the fiery old bugger would have gone down fighting, too stubborn to give in. Chop, I say.

Packs - barely mentioned. Maika has mentioned him in the speech of Sedal and Avershire say...once? Another 'random' character with a rather sparse description.
Quote:
a theological man, smart, but somewhat sickly
This didn't really come across at all. *shrugs* Chop, almost certainly.

Blake - this would be the helmsman. That's all he's described as. Bearing in mind the barrage that was raining down upon them in the attacks, I think it's actually a little unrealistic if he isn't dead. Like Packs, quite a definite chop.

Frenchy - I think Maika probably had plans for him. A loyal follower of Avershire, quite close it seems as well - he was the second mate. Quiet, lean, tall, red hair - rarely mentioned, but probably would take over in Avershire's stead if the Captain was dead or missing. This could either cause a clash with Devon which would be interesting...or shall we just get rid of him to save the problems?

Portie - Never mentioned, as far as I can tell. In charge of reparations, pretty ancient in Middle Earth terms - average age of death is, what, sixty, seventy? This guy is put down as '80+'. Seriously, never mentioned. Chop, chop, chop...

Rilgari - Man, I think I mentioned him...once? Twice? Anyway, he barely featured in any posts and was another of the 'random' characters who Maika created - like a secondary secondary
Quote:
shy, flaxen-haired boy of about 18 or 19.
However, similar as he is to Callath and sparse though his character may be, I would rather like him to stay alive. Please? If you want him to go though, that's fine.

Borger - I quote from our fearless leader once more:
Quote:
poetic man of about 25 who has a good singing voice, is disliked by none
Sounds like an interesting, if useless, guy. However, I can't really recall him being mentioned - Nuranar, did you mention him once or twice? Anyway, featured once more twice maybe but pretty much nonexistant. Shall we chop?

Orda - Oh, everyone knows little Orda. You can't seriously kill him off....right?

If anyone else wants to have a closer look at the descriptions as Maika first has them written, they're on page seven in the Discussion thread - quite near the bottom, post #280.

Hope this is helpful,

-Ax
Old 05-19-2004, 03:44 PM   #392
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree Casualty Lists and Leadership Issues

Thanks for the list, Aman! I love lists. One thing before I dive in: What under heaven is an "NPC"?

I know no more than you about whether Maika will return. I am half expecting her to at least check in before we're done, though. She's dropped out for a while before, but each time she's come back.

Avershire: He's a good, interesting character. She's created a lot of background with his corsair "roots," if you will. If we were to end him, I think there would have to be some sort of resolution. Re-instatement in Gondor's navy, for example, would be particularly appropriate. So let's keep him.

Loliway: I, too, enjoyed her conflict with Calnan very much; it was a lot of fun to write for. Maika had suggested that Calnan come to her rescue when she gets in a spot, thereby putting the guilt on her, since she'd effectively left him and Devon in the lurch. But I like your suggestion that she saves him, demonstrating her attitude change instead of leading to it. Then we wouldn't have to deal with her emotional turmoil after the fact, either. If she were to die: First, that'd be pretty tough on Avershire, and we'd have to deal with his reaction (and for such a multi-faceted character that'd be difficult, I think). Second, Calnan really wouldn't be the one with the guilt; I'd indicated that he'd pretty much forgiven her already. She was the one who couldn't stop thinking about it. So then, let's keep her too, and I can put the saving bit into the raid (that I'm in the middle of writing right now).

Sedal: By all means, injure the surgeon. I don't think losing an arm is the best way to do it, though. If it's actually torn off in the wreck, he'd inevitably bleed to death in a few minutes. My medical knowledge is sketchy, but I'm sure that to have any chance at all he'd need an immediate tourniquet. That requires both someone to apply it and the opportunity to do so properly. In a combined storm and fight, that's not real likely. Plus there's the effect of hypothermia on a man weakened by severe blood loss. I just don't think he'd survive such a wound. Now, after all that, I'm at a bit of a loss about what other injury he could actually sustain. He could certainly break something, I think, so long as it's not compound (def: bone breaking the skin). We could even deal with a broken leg if we need to, and that's a pretty severe injury. Sorry for the long-winded explanations; any thoughts?

Luc: I could never find a bio for him, although he appeared quite a bit in your posts, so I used him only a little. Your reasoning for axing him is very good, so let's do it. Please post Callath's gruesome discovery at your pleasure.

Yulman: Actually, I think he would've died even before the capture. I looked up your post, and in it he lost his right eye and broke his left leg. Broken legs, especially in the, um, period at which we're setting this, are pretty serious, and I don't think there's any way he could have lasted through the two fights we had after that, even if he could've struggled upright. So I think he's already dead.

Packs: For the surrender post I wrote, I chose him as the seaman who bandaged up Calnan's head. Later in that post he gets spitted by a corsair. So he's already dead too.

Blake: I remember him being mentioned, but that's about it. And since the helm is so exposed, it's most likely he's already gone too. Wow, a real killing spree we seem to be on, ain't it!

Frenchy: Maika indirectly killed Frenchy in the first battle. See her post on March 13, in Devon's conversation with Callath. Marx becomes third mate since Frenchy was killed.

Portie: Yup, never mentioned. Bye-bye!

Rilgari: Sure, let's keep him. And technically, it's more likely that someone young and strong like him would survive being shipwrecked. Keep him, by all means, and especially since I've scratched off, let's see, 6 characters in a row!

Borger: He's working the catapults with Rilgari in the first battle, and it doesn't look like I mentioned him. (Thank heaven for the "Find" button on my toolbar!) I don't see any need for him, and if he was a mate of Rilgari's, that might faciliate a new friendship between he and Callath. They'll both have lost a friend.

Orda: I'd hate to lose Orda, too. Maybe he can be the one who sticks by Sedal when he's hurt? Like Ben-Hur and Quintus Arrius - keeping the injured guy above the water.

For one you didn't mention: Talon: old and balding, fiery and rude, very superstitious. He, as second mate, led a boarding party onto the Regal Dawn (second battle), but he's not mentioned after that. Still, it wouldn't hurt to have another seasoned fighter on our side. Tentative keeper? I'll check when I total things up below.

Okay, this is 13 characters. Add Devon, Callath, Calnan, and Telson; that's 17. Take away Frenchy, who died early; that's 16. We can have only about 12 who survived to be captured.

For survivors: Devon, Callath, Calnan, Telson, Avershire, Loliway, Sedal, Rilgari, and Orda = 9. Add Talon, and that's 10. That's a phenomenal survival ratio for a group of wounded prisoners shipwrecked at sea and cast ashore! If it's all right, then, let's keep just the 9 and I'll change my post to say that we had about 20 Gondorians imprisoned. How will that do? I'll make a list for reference, and if there are more suggestions I'll edit them in:

Gondorian Survivors
Devon
Callath
Calnan
Telson
Avershire
Loliway
Sedal - seriously wounded
Rilgari
Orda
Rakein

Gondorians Lost at Sea or Previously Dead
Marx
Luc
Yulman
Packs
Blake
Frenchy
Portie
Borger
Talon

One last thing before I get back to my post - writing it, that is (ah! these nautical/military metaphors!): Now that the North Wind is gone, and especially since we're no longer at sea, Avershire is not the Gondorian leader. Technically he's only a volunteer, he and all the crew, including Loliway. We could very easily have some conflict with that, since I think it's perfectly in character for him to assume command. Aman, you hinted at that very well in your post, indicating how Callath realizes the difference between being at sea and being on the land.

The logical thing is for Devon to reassert his leadership. But I'm having difficulty with this: First, he's only 17. Not to run down 17-year-olds, but he definitely lacks experience in leading a desperate campaign like this. Also, I'm not sure the rest, at least those of the ship's company, would feel a lot of confidence in his leadership. On the other hand, it was his enthusiasm and determination to oppose Doran that got this resistance movement going in the first place. Second, he's been wounded, not terribly, but seriously enough, and in a way that has handicapped his fighting ability. It seems that he's recovered a bit, as Maika's post of April 19 indicates, but he was feeling pretty emotionally upset at partially losing the use of his arm. How unnerving would that be for a teenager? Could he pull himself together in time to lead an effective last-ditch defense against the corsairs on the island? Third, Devon's creator is not writing for him! How hard would it be to not merely carry his character, but all of us in concert consistently write him as a leader?

Avershire may instinctively assume command, but he's a seaman, first and last. May I venture to say that Calnan, growing up in Ithilien, as the son of a Ranger, probably knows the most about skirmishing on land? I know Telson has seen military service, but not guerrilla type. From his bio, it seems that although he's a fighter, he's not voluntarily a leader of men. Not that Calnan does that either, I think, but he's good at seeing the best course and stepping up to take charge if no one else is.

So, IF it's ok with all of you, I think I'm going to write how Calnan ends up taking charge. It'll be unobtrusive, I think, although he'll need to at least show Avershire where his authority ends. I'm not going to wait for feedback, because time is now of the essence - I don't want to get run over by "Papa Doran." (Himaran, where did THAT come from?!) But I promise to heed all comments and make any necessary changes.

Here are the issues that I'd appreciate any feedback on:
* How Loliway and Calnan are reconciled
* Devon's attitude / state of mind / physical condition
* Nature of Sedal's wound
* Calnan taking charge

Profuse apologies for the length of this post. I guess I had a lot to say, although I didn't know it when I started! Carry on!
~ Nuranar

Last edited by Nuranar; 05-19-2004 at 08:59 PM. Reason: adding Rakein
Old 05-19-2004, 04:41 PM   #393
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Ack! So much in so little time! Sorry for my absence, all. I really wish life didn't have to keep making me apologize for the same thing. I've read what's been thrown out and everything looks fine to me.

As to nature of Sedal's wounds, I don't mean to be sadistic, but broken ribs are quiet painful. Brake a lot of ribs and it's also quite hampering. Perhaps he took a heavy blow from something during the storm and Orda got him up onto driff wood to ride it out. It wouldn't be too hard to recover from, but might handicape him sufficently. I don't pretend to know anything about ribs or bones, though, so that might be completly bogus.

Maybe I should just embrace my sadism, because one of the best ways I see the Calnan and Meri thing coming to a forfilling end is with Lolliway's death, perhaps sacrificing herself for Devon or something. It would be a nice arc for her character and give Avershire and Calnan plenty to deal with.

And as to Calnan taking charge, it seems logical enough to me. Telson would probably want command if it were only him and Callath, Calnan and Devon, but wouldn't feel comfortable leading a group anyone older or possibly more experienced than himself. He most likely would back up Calnan and try to act as a sort of executive offier to make sure he was a part of whatever happens.

I have no idea about Devon. I think he'd probably become much more determined during the battle, but anything short of that and I think he'd be far too shellshocked to do much.

I'll try to get a post working soon. And, oh yeah, if it still matters, I vote Yea. *evil*
Old 05-19-2004, 08:56 PM   #394
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420! In Search of the Castaways?

Glad you're back, Arvedui. I've just posted, and incorporated your suggestion about broken ribs for Sedal. Excellent idea! Very inhibiting, not overly serious (unless a lung is punctured ), and extremely likely to happen, under the circumstances.

About Calnan and Meri - maybe I moved too fast, but I've already wrapped it up. And maybe I'm a coward, but the thought of sorting out the angst of any characters, whether Meri, Calnan, Avershire, or a combination thereof, is really intimidating. Meri's back on board, and kinda supports Calnan & Co. against Avershire taking charge. Is that ok?

One more note: As I've been writing, I've had the assumption that Telson helped Devon survive the wreck, and also keep a dirk. (Midshipman's weapon, if that helps. ) I figured with a bum arm Devon'd have a tough time keeping hold of any wreckage without help. I never actually came out and said so in the post, though.

Everyone: If I've used your character too much, I'm very sorry! This post ended up like that, and I especially wanted to make sure not to leave anyone out.

We're into the next day, after Graring has found his buds. One corsair took off after the fight; I headed him toward the interior, Himaran, so if you want him to be Graring setting off on a life of hermitry, please do so. Otherwise, maybe he'd be last in line and slipped away when he saw the Gondorians attack? Your choice.

The Gondorians are established in a semi-defensable position near the coast; I hope the description is clear. If any Gondorians want to post, please do so before Earendil writes Doran's D-Day Thursday evening.

Oh, and in my summing up of survivors I forgot to mention Rakein. Sorry, Durelin! I've corrected that in my list above.

Anything else? My requests for feedback still stand.

Carrying on,
Nuranar
Old 05-19-2004, 11:50 PM   #395
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Lookin' good everybody! I don't have anything to add because I think things are going just fine. Oh, if any other characters sustain any disabling injuries, a broken or fractured ankle would be a good one, just for future reference. I've fractured my ankle before. Mine swelled up about a minute after the initial fracture and it was extremely painful to walk on. I could barely put my foot down on it anyways. Of course, I could hop and limp until I got it braced. So, if any characters sustain injuries from the storm or fighting, an ankle injury could be a good and logical one.

Also, don't worry about the Gondorians being outnumbered until Doran arrives. Wasn't one of the two corsair ships taken out during the battle? And then the storm hit. So, I think it would be logical if the corsairs had about the same amount, maybe more or less, because they would have sustained heavy casualties from the last naval battle and then the storm would have taken out more of them. I think the Gondorians only have to worry about numbers playing a huge part when Doran arrives tomorrow.

Other than that, great job hopping back on the ball everybody. Too bad Maika is not here anymore.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #396
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Rakein has been taken care of by Nurunar, so I will just post for Adeline. And I want to thank you, Nurunar, for doing that, actually, because I am short for time the next few days, and you carried out the whole thing so well in your post. I wasn't even sure how exactly it would all be worked out, and since you have what is going on down to clearly in your mind, I'm very glad Rakein was useful in your post.

And my vote was: yea. Sorry about the delay on that....

-Durelin
Old 05-21-2004, 10:15 AM   #397
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Anytime, Durelin. Thanks for letting me use Rakein - he did come in useful - and I'm glad you liked the post.

Wherefore art thou, Earendil? And where is Papa Doran? We're waiting on you for the action to commence.

In the meantime, anyone can write a pre-invasion post. Just make sure you beat Earendil to the punch, or we'll have a cockeyed story line!

~ Nuranar
Old 05-21-2004, 01:21 PM   #398
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Sorry. I was denied internet access yesterday but it will not happen again! I guess the Gondorians get an extra day but have no fear!-My post will be up as soon as I get home today! Watch out, Papa D is on the way!
Old 05-21-2004, 11:16 PM   #399
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Ok-it may be a day late but the post is up. The hunt is on! Let's get this going, people. We're almost near the end.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:39 PM   #400
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

I'm sorry for not filling my save - I spent a ridiculous amount of time at church yesterday (doing a concert) and had guests today, so have left it a wee bit late to fill that save adequately. Really sorry But I promise I will post tomorrow night (unless my computer dies or...the apocalypse comes or something...)