Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2004, 10:22 AM   #241
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Exit stage left, followed by Bear ;)

And so Calumdril journies beyong the circles of Middle earth, a post I had been considering since he first came upon the bodies of Thorgil and Calum.

This is an exceptionally well done game, very finely written. I reread it before I wrote this last post and was honoured by all the company I have kept here. Thank you for the fun of gaming with you; I hope to again of course; and remember I shall be reading from the sidelines with keen delight and expectations.

Cheerio,
Bethberry
Old 05-20-2004, 11:33 AM   #242
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dűm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Excellent post, Bethberry. Though unexpected, the death of Calumdril does fit nicely into the storyline and provides a wonderful symmetry. Borgand, for one, will be very sorry to find he is dead. The honour of gaming with you is something I have cherished. Thank you for your excellent contributions to the game.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:07 PM   #243
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

TheLadyAerowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheLadyAerowen
I deleted the save, actually, and...just posted the post at the end there. So, yep. ^_^
Old 05-24-2004, 10:11 PM   #244
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
Here is what i am planning for the death of bear guys, hope it fits in:

Bear survives the initial attack and is able to limp home; finding that kestrel and her kids are gone, and the fact that many hillmen are dead, he rushes back to the settlement.

Espyed from afar, he is shot and key characters (Carrun... and fellow rangers?) go out to his body...

perhaps the rangers are patrolling the wall? Bear tries to rush their defences and is killed.

Give me a hoy guys!!
Old 05-24-2004, 10:29 PM   #245
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
need somehwere to put this work in progress for safe keeping... will finish it !! Bear pulled himself from the water and lay panting on the large, smooth, wet stones. His warm, red blood mingled with the muddied water and surged over the rocks, creating an ironically warm environment for the great man to lie in. His sodden wool tunic hung lankly to his prone form and he shivered as a wind shot over his bulk. Memories of the last few ill-fated hours shot through his weary mind. Things had appeared to go well for the hillmen, their initial attack seemed to be a complete surprise, and for a while the southerners were on the back foot.

The soft ground seems to echo as his feet pound into it. Through the smoke-haze around him he can feel the thundering voices of men, the screams of women and the crackle of flame; his senses seem inflamed and unruly. Like a poisoned beast he feels himself crash into man after man, filling the sodden night with showers of red. Screams resonate around his existence.

With a gasping intake of air, Bear regained consciousness.

Things had started to turn as the fight spilled out into the extents of the settlement and Bear found himself almost alone with only a few hillmen around him. Grasping a stone firmly in his palm, he struggled to stay conscious. Grasping for a thought to hold on to, his mind raced through his recent past. A face… long and unfamiliar…filling with sudden recognition…a sudden anger, burning at his chest… a tempest unleashed…

Bear had espied his adversary and immediately recognized him as his attacker. Further, ice-cold wrath had piled and squeezed itself into his existence and he had thrown himself further into the fray; further towards his foe. Then, in the midst of his glory, covered in the death of his foes, he found himself alone; dead hillmen lay by him, their blood flowing into and mingling with that of their dead enemies. An almost complete ring of southerners had been made about him, many of whom he recognized. The man he had encountered only days before stood there before him, panting and hunched in his weariness. Slowly the men advance upon Bear. The whirlwind of steel that ensued smote both helm and limb and soon the ring was broken. A fog had fallen upon his eyes and he only saw dim shapes.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:42 AM   #246
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dűm

Osse, that post looks excellent. Feel free to put it up as soon as it's finished.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #247
Kryssal
Wight

Kryssal has just left Hobbiton.
Just a reminder for all of us

Week of May 24 - May 31

The Settlers and Rangers track the hillmen back to their village and take prisoners
back to the settlement for judgement. The settler/ranger group will be divided into
trackers and those left at home to clean up the mess. Dwarves will reveal the
connection between the hillmen and the settlers at this time.

May 31 - June 5

Hillmen are brought back for judgement, and given the choice to either join the
settlement or be iradicated. Settlers/Rangers will have to fight with those who refuse
to join the group.

June 5 - June 11

End of the game. The stone for permanent buildings will arrive, those who chose to
stay with the settlers will have to start their new lives there. The town will start to
become a town, and the rangers and settlers almost one people, united by the
continuing threat of the hillmen who are still out there. We end on a hopeful, but not
totally resolved note, rather like life.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:46 PM   #248
Carrűn
Wight

Carrűn has just left Hobbiton.
me not be thinking to smartly

Just to clarify - are there any women or children left in the settlement? Or have they all fled for Bree?
Old 06-01-2004, 02:34 AM   #249
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dűm

There might be a few, but most will have left. Some might have gotten left behind in the confusion, or because they were at their homes rather than in the town hall when the attack occured.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:43 PM   #250
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
I'll probably be editing this post, and will let you guys know when I do. It will probably do for now. The save is for any further hillman activity that needs to happen beforet the rangers reach the village... I'll add them in as they are pmed to me.

Also, can anyone tell me what time it is in this game?

Edit: Time issues now fixed, thanks.
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum

Last edited by Belin; 06-01-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:26 AM   #251
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

I am back.... for now my computer is behaving. Now follows my plans for the rest of this fine game:

Bear escapes unhurt from attack---- and slowly stumbles his way back to the settlement... JUST after the rangers have LEFT.

Running through the wild, bear arrives at the settlement just after the captives ( or about 3 hours after) he then meets his DEMISE!!

All posts are written... just need one last bit!!
Old 06-02-2004, 11:40 AM   #252
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

TheLadyAerowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheLadyAerowen
I filled in that save post. Whee. I'm back into regular posting now that classes are almost over. Great posts by the rest of you, as well. *is envious*
Old 06-06-2004, 08:58 AM   #253
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

My post has been edited to reflect the absence of Bear. I may have to write a post as one of my npc's, since no player-character Hillmen seem to be in the village at all!

Good job, everyone... keep posting...
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 06-07-2004, 04:40 PM   #254
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril My deepest...

...and humblest apologies. My computer got in a nasty spot and I had to do some major de-virus-ing and de-Adware-ing. Now I think my computer's rather shell-shocked, but it's working far better. I'll get a post up there a.s.a.p., I promise. I'm working on it as we speak.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:02 PM   #255
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
After Vanima posts, I will have one up for Olin.

Himaran
Old 06-09-2004, 10:15 AM   #256
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Osse's post is now up in my save spot.

Actually, if it's at all possible, I would like to put up a post for Cleft before the end of the battle, since there's no Hillman perspective at all just now... we'll see if I have time.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:18 AM   #257
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril Dwarves...

Himaran: it appears that they're still mid-battle. You can either post into where they are and pass it, eliminating our need to catch up for a while, or you can hold off. It's up to the others really. Once you post, I'll start working on another post no matter what you say.

Oh: and I'll be away the 13th-20th, as I'm going to Spain with my school. Then I'm going to be away sporadically after that. We should be finished by then, though.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:06 PM   #258
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, that battle is taking place at the Hillmen village, which leaves the settlement open. I think that's so, anyway.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:56 AM   #259
Kryssal
Wight

You're correct. All the fighting is at the hillmen's village. The settlement is just cleaning itself up at the moment. The Rangers and captive hillmen will be arriving at the settlement a little past midday.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:35 PM   #260
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Just to let you all know, I won't be able to go online from tomorrow until the end of June... then again, I probably wouldn't have posted anyway... Geez, I'm seriously neglecting my duty to this RPG. I'll try to post when I get back. I'm really sorry if I let you guys down...
Old 06-15-2004, 09:16 PM   #261
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield The game will close ...

Just copying this as a reminder from post # 231:

Quote:
The game will be closed on Sunday June 27th, 10 pm EDT.
Bęthberry,
Moderator fo Rohan
Old 06-16-2004, 03:15 AM   #262
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

to take what bethberry just said, and unwrap it for all you guys...

HURRY UP hehe

Got all my posts sorted just waiting on things to finish at the settlement, then it can be curtains for me!

Osse
Old 06-17-2004, 05:10 PM   #263
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
*raises hand* Um... Did no one see the post where Kestrel is approaching the village? Could someone please spot her?
Old 06-20-2004, 03:22 PM   #264
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

I filled in my save - the dwarves have reached the settlement.

Himaran
Old 06-22-2004, 04:06 AM   #265
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dűm

This is the last week of the game. Here's what needs to happen.

Tane and the others should return with the prisoners.

Borthand will spot Kestrel and lump her in with the others and then accuse them all of treason against the crown. Be interrupted by the dwarves who point out the etchings (I can post all of this) and then give the hillmen the choice to join the settlement or swear never to fight again.

Hillmen should post responses and there may be a small skirmish (if time allows).

I will post the end post of the game when the stones for building arrive and those who are staying in the settlement get used to their new environment.

The End.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:32 PM   #266
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Just wanted to let everyone know:

Carrun is now "gone" (or at least away from a computer) for over a month, so his part in this fine tale has ended. He wanted me to tell you that someone can take over Awyrgan for the rest of the game - just don't kill him!

Himaran
Old 06-24-2004, 01:45 PM   #267
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril Back...

X: You said you'd deal with Barzűn telling about the carvings, so I just had him set off to look for someone to tell.

And I'm back for the moment. I'm gone next Tuesday and Wednesday, then the Tuesday through Thursday of the next week. Then that's about it for my disappearances.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:21 AM   #268
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

oh Taaaanne!!

I would like to get my last post out of the way, but need for the hillmen to arrive at the settlement first.

Please be swift...

Cheers.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:51 PM   #269
Kryssal
Wight

Osse - I already posted, just before your last post, about the group arriving from Tane's perspective. I've been waiting for X to post so that we can finish the game up.

~Kryss
Old 06-27-2004, 01:43 AM   #270
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

I was thinking more of... you know, giving the hillmen their final choice... half way through this, bear comes crashing up...

if not, i'll post it now! Just want a nice slot for me character to die in.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:46 PM   #271
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

um... it's the 29th... shouldn't we have finished by now?!
Come on X!!
Old 06-29-2004, 07:20 AM   #272
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield One small reprieve for RLK kind

Last week, Belin asked me to leave the game open a little longer as there were posts still being written, and so, in light of the activity the game has received, I have given the game a slight extension. However, if X cannot post within two days, I will ask the two other game owners, Belin and Kryssal, to finish the game and will close it Sunday, July 4 at noon EDT. There will be no further extensions. Post now or forever hold your words!

Bęthberry,
Moderator for Rohan

Last edited by Bęthberry; 06-29-2004 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:58 PM   #273
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Seeing that there is nothing else for the dwarves to do, I posted what can be my last post for Olin. If, however, he is needed still, send me a pm and I will be happy to write any necessary posts.

This was a fine game, and it was a pleasure playing in it.

Himaran
Old 06-29-2004, 04:35 PM   #274
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

And so it ends...

I have now posted the death scene of Bear, a post I had been planning almost since the start of this fine game. I extend my thanks and congratulations to everyone who took part, on their performances, which truly made this game what it was: fantastic! It was truly a pleasure to find myself amongst such amiable people who enjoy their writing as much as I.

I would also like to thank both Bethberry and X Phial, for allowing me to still play in this game, despite it being moved into Rohan, and despite it being my first RPG.

I hope to write with you all in the future!

AVE!

OSSE
Old 06-30-2004, 08:36 PM   #275
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Sorry if I spoiled anything important, but I didn't really want my character to die. If you want to delete that last post, it's fine with me.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 06-30-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:50 AM   #276
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

A late but important --and perhaps excessive-- post.

I'm sorry about not getting this up in time... I will see if I can get the next one up in the next couple of days. Maybe it balances out by being extremely long? :P I was actually thinking of including some stuff about Cleft in here too, but then I realized I'd have to be insane. I was thinking that this should probably go just before X's post or maybe before Van's. Thanks for putting up with me and also, thank you Bb for the extension. And, now, the rather monstrous post:

Wolf scanned the horizon anxiously for signs of his messenger. The dim light revealed nothing, but he continued on in the direction that Fletch ought to be coming from. He was surprised not to have seen him already. The distance between the villages was not this great, not even for a weakling like Fletch. Wolf sighed. He should have known better than to send that fool off on such an important errand, but he did seem to know the land so well, and in any case, what use would he have been in a battle?

He certainly hadn’t been much use so far. Couldn’t he even cover this short distance unaided?

Wolf had always thought that Fletch, despite his gripes and his physical weakness, was at least a courageous man, but it was beginning to occur to him that the errant messenger had taken some of Knife’s less fortunate words to heart and simply decided to stay in the neighboring village where, for now, it was safer. Wolf had even begun to generously bestow a stream of uncomplimentary adjectives on the absent Fletch when he noticed the small, mobile figure of a man in the distance. He rushed toward him.

It was only after he had begun trying to devise the proper words to say to him without knowing, yet, whether the mission had been a success when he realized that this was not Fletch, that this was no any man belonging to his own village. He must be one of Rook’s people. Wolf stopped, eyeing him cautiously. The man had seen him.

For a long moment they simply stared at each other. There were protocols for encounters with Hillmen of other villages, but each knew that the circumstances were no ordinary ones, and each harbored certain new suspicions of the other. The stranger was the first to break the silence. “Good hunting, friend,” he called, his tone anything but friendly.

Wolf laughed grimly at the mundane greeting. “Today I hunt for one of my own. Have you seen a puling, useless little messenger? I had hoped he would return with news, or at least in one piece.” The last sentence held the shadow of a threat, and the stranger knew it. He shrugged carelessly.

“Then I suppose your name is Wolf? I’ve seen your messenger. I must say, I do agree with you; I didn’t take kindly to the way he left. No compliments, no gifts. Then again, he was encouraged to take his leave rather quickly.”

Wolf said nothing. He understood quite clearly that the man was trying to taunt him, but he could not stop the anger from building, palpably, in his body.

The stranger must have seen it, because he grinned slightly and, with a slight gesture of satisfaction, he continued. “Does he leave you this way? He gave us no reason to think we would receive what we had asked, no reason, in truth, to believe that he would even carry our message properly, putting our requests in the most acceptable light. Truly one would think they had offended him, modest as they were for the price that we were asked.” That grin again. Wolf’s eyes narrowed. “I had more to say to him, and I wished to say it in the open. But our business is finished now.”

“Finished?” croaked Wolf.

“I wanted assurance of the weregild and the women. He took offense. He is, as you say, a puling, useless little messenger.”

“Ah,” said Wolf, quietly, “but Rook employs foolish, impudent messengers who do not understand that one cannot demand a price for saving one’s own life, and especially not such a price as this.”

But the other did not hear him. Wolf’s spear was too deeply embedded in his throat.

*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~

Wolf was on his way home when he heard the steady, rhythmic clashes that floated over the hills. It took a moment to register as a variant of a sound he’d heard before; the sound of swords beating against shields, but with more obvious purpose than the haphazard clangs of battle. A sound no Hillman ever made. They did not use shields, preferring the use of both hands and relying on their strength and their reflexes, as well as the inexperience of their usual foes, to protect them from injury; shields were the provenance of professional soldiers. Of the Rangers.

But it was far too close to the village to be the Rangers, thought Wolf as he loped homeward, and he saw no reason why they would do any such thing. All thoughts of Fletch were abandoned as possibilities flashed through Wolf’s mind. Perhaps it was some kind of ceremony. Perhaps they did this merely to amuse themselves, though why they were amusing themselves so far from their settlement, and so soon after the attack, was far beyond his mind to fathom. Still, all their actions were inexplicable, he reminded himself, so this could well be too. It didn’t have to be an attack.

It didn’t have to be an attack.

It didn’t have to be…

But as he reached the crest of the hill, Wolf could see that there were indeed Rangers beating their shields with their swords, apparently in order to frighten the members of his village back into the long line that they were leading away, back toward the settlement.

He stood still, paralyzed. After all that he had done, he had imagined a bloody battle in which most would die. He had imagined that he would be able to protect at least a few. He had thought that he and Bear and a finally reformed Knife would die side by side, giving a few of their people… maybe Kestrel… the opportunity to escape. Maybe those few could have found a new life somewhere else, started a new village, told the tales of this battle to their children for years to come, with tears in their eyes and a note in their voice that hinted at their pride and their sorrow. Surely they would have been clever enough to avoid the eyes of Rook and those like him, and surely the Rangers would find nothing more worth fighting them for. His fear as he left had been precisely this, an attack he could not help to protect them from.

But he never could have predicted this exile. Where under the sky were his determined warriors? And where, in the name of his own endless foolishness, was Bear?

He wondered what the Rangers intended to do with his people once they had arrived wherever it was they were taking them, and his stomach twisted suddenly with a sickening fear. As he ran down the hill, to follow them as stealthily as he could, only one thought was in his mind. Please, if the gods are with me… please let me still be able to help them.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Wolf had a moment to think over his actions as he stood, hidden and breathless, behind the sheltering wall of a house near the center of the settlement. He had attempted to be careful, but in his dazed state he was sure he could not have done well, and he wondered how they could possibly have been so careless as not to have seen him. He had followed them all the way across the hills, his apprehension growing with the certainty that the Rangers intended to bring their captives back to the settlement. He did not know what he would do when he arrived, but he could do nothing now, and there was none to help him. But he did not worry. His mind was a blank and his body merely followed what it knew: that he had to protect these people, somehow. Somehow. He couldn’t lose them.

He supposed he must have hidden and waited for the inevitable commotion surrounding the arrival of the Rangers to die down before entering the city, but he could not remember at all clearly. He only remembered how quiet the city had been as he skulked along under the overhangs and in the shadows when he could almost as easily have sauntered down the middle of those strange, wide streets. He remembered how he had chosen to hide behind a house that faced the square, where he could hear the voices of a gathering crowd. Nobody was out in the city. They were all here, assembled without him to decide the fate of his people.

The initial shock had never left him, and so he never noticed the rage he ought to have felt, any more than the alarm that would have been appropriate earlier. He was simply waiting and listening. Waiting and listening.

Let them think and speak for now; Wolf intended to act.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:21 AM   #277
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

Great post Belin, get it up!! Also, could I have perhaps at least some reference to the great death of Bear placed in people's posts please??

Excellent post belin!
Old 07-02-2004, 02:17 AM   #278
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Thank you, Osse.

The post is already up; X edited it into her post.

I've posted a little one for Cleft's speech; I was going to keep it in the same post with Wolf's next one, but I think Wolf deserves his own. People who wish to pick up on it might note the importance of cultural difference.

I have lots to do tomorrow. However, the last post of Wolf is coming soon, promise.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:24 AM   #279
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

very nice posts guys, especially krys! Thanks for giving Bear a mention.

Belin, perhaps from Wolf's position he sees the rangers carrying his brother's body and that is one of the last things to seal his decisions??

Cheers,

Osse
Old 07-02-2004, 10:53 AM   #280
Kryssal
Wight

You read my mind Osse.