Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2002, 12:18 PM   #41
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Whatever you prefer. You're the Mentor! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2002, 01:09 PM   #42
Ringwraith Number Two
Haunting Spirit

Ringwraith Number Two has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've read all the posts on this thread, and I'm happy to take any character which is left over- I've no preference. I look forward to this RPG!
Old 09-20-2002, 01:10 PM   #43
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Hear ye! Hear ye! Men of Dale

Once you have worked out the details to your character and PM'd me with them, and have contacted the others in the game with whom you will interact, then please work on the first post that will bring your character in to play.

Any questions or concerns - PM me.

[img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] - King Bard II, His Mark
Old 09-20-2002, 01:15 PM   #44
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Maril - I am a mentor. I thought it would be a good idea for everyone involved to see character ideas and background.

Susan - Sure! Bring your hobbits to Rivendell - we'd love some companions.

Ransom - I'm dealing with a lot of homework too. Don't rush - take your time and make your character awesome.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:24 PM   #45
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Can anyone give me Kettle of Fishis member number, I need to PM and can't find it!

Thanks
Old 09-20-2002, 02:14 PM   #46
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

It's 3155, Nev.

That sounds just fine, Carneiach [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2002, 02:52 PM   #47
Carnëiach
Haunting Spirit

Carnëiach has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Carnëiach
Eye

a) Thanku susan
b) How the heck do u know peoples numbers like that?!

so wraith, r u playing Orlo and Fayes playing Odo? Woah, im so gonna get mixed up; Odo, Orlo, Ordo, Olo...

[ September 20, 2002: Message edited by: Carnëiach ]
Old 09-20-2002, 03:28 PM   #48
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand

OK, we've got good news and bad news. Good news first. The RPG thread will be opened Monday, September 23, 2002 at around 10:00 am EDT. After it is opened, please wait for your mentor to make his or her first post before jumping in.

A word of warning. This is a large RPG. Lots of players going in different directions from different starting points. It may be hard to follow until you get used to it. A tip: focus on people within your own team. They are the ones you are interacting with (unless two or more teams hook up en route). DO NOT try to have a conversation with a dwarf from Erebor if you are a Hobbit from the Shire, etc.

Now the bad news: THERE ARE RULES FOR THIS RPG

1. Out of character comments belong in the discussion forum or in PMs. Do not make OOC comments in the RPG thread unless it is completely necessary and even then, delete them after they have served their purpose.

2. "Chat speak" is not allowed. There will be no: "I thought U were gone 4 good".

3. Chat style posts are not allowed. In other words, no one or two line posts unless they are completely appropriate under the circumstances.

4. Use paragraphs, commas, periods and question marks. If you are speaking to someone, use quotation marks or some other appropriate style (consult your mentor).

5. It is generally bad form to make successive (back to back) posts, unless you are operating more than one character (and if they are at the same place at the same time, there is no reason to use more than one post).

6. No flaming. Settle disputes through PMs or with your Mentor's help on the discussion board.

7. Stay in character and act within the scope of the game at all times. Generally, men, dwarves, elves and hobbits do not spin around in circles for the joy of it, use automatic weapons or fly.

Allow me to re-introduce myself. I am the semi-moderator of this RPG. I will throw in obstacles, wrinkles and problems when I feel like it. These may include fire, storms, floods, avalanches, earthquakes, plagues, assorted nasties and minor "character adjustments".

The latter means that if you violate any of the rules, your character may slip and fall face first into a mudpuddle, trip on a wagon rut and twist an ankle, lose fingers, eyes or limbs, or be eaten by whatever animal/nasty that may be available at the time. Stated otherwise, your character can be "killed out" for rule violations (repeated or bad ones).

Now that the unpleasantries are out of the way, this RPG has been a lot of work, particularly for the Mentors (let's give these guys a hand -- clap, clap), but we think that it will also be a lot of fun as well as a great learning experience (likely for all involved). Have a great time!
Old 09-20-2002, 04:38 PM   #49
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay, I am here. I don't know too much. Do I make my own character or does Thenamir?

Ps. Is Nogrod still in existance in the 4th Age or was it already destroyed??? I have a character in a fan-fic from Nogrod, so if it is still there, I would probably use some of his information.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Old 09-20-2002, 04:56 PM   #50
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Joy: from what I've seen, Thenamir will have a story and characters. You and your fellow RP'ers sort out who's who...from what I've seen...

Maybe Thena's on a business trip like my mentor, Barrow-Wight?

In the meantime: we just hang out and read all the other interesting facts and histories I guess? And I'm researching all I can find out about Rhun: you can do that with your area too, if you want.

EDIT: Look at me acting like I know what I'm talking about...sorry about that. One of you moderators can slap me if I'm totally off-track! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 20, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 09-20-2002, 05:58 PM   #51
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Sting

Thanks, Mith [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

That sounds about right to me, Vanima.

Quote:
How the heck do u know peoples numbers like that?!
Well, I'm psychic. Whoohooooo *makes mysterious hand gestures*

No, really, he's a player in my own RPG, Blue Sky, Night Thunder, and I looked over there to see. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
so wraith, r u playing Orlo and Fayes playing Odo? Woah, im so gonna get mixed up; Odo, Orlo, Ordo, Olo...
You guys can change the names if you want; I'm not attached.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:29 PM   #52
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As for the area, I know a lot about it, but mostly the Elven history of it. The Blue Mount. is in part of the Realm of Lindon. Contained in the region was Nogrod and Belegost.

I see no evidence that they were destroyed during the sinking of Beleriand at the end of the 1st Age, but I was told that Nogrod was later changed to Mithlond, but this make no sense.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Old 09-21-2002, 05:05 AM   #53
Carnëiach
Haunting Spirit

Eye

oh right. *feels a little sheepish*

Come on, cant we start the Rp a little early? Cos I wont be able to get on on monday and probably not on tuesday either.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:47 AM   #54
Ringwraith Number Two
Haunting Spirit

Ringwraith Number Two has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yep, I'll play Orlo Hornblower. That is, if its OK with everyone else; as I said, I have no particular preference over any character. So, do I post a description of him here?

EDIT: Here's the description.
Name: Orlo Hornblower

Race: Hobbit

Appearance: Aside from being a little thinner and taller than most hobbits, Orlo has the appearance of an everyday, average hobbit, but with an adventurous glint in his eye.

Occupation: An apprentice to Merry Brandybuck, often going with him on his small adventures in the Shire.

Personality: Orlo may not be the brightest of Hobbits, but certainly has a lot of common sense. Steadfast, rational and trustworthy, he will not abandon any of his companions in trouble.

History: Orlo's family, the Hornblowers, are average hobbits. However, when Orlo saw Merry Brandybuck and Pippin Took returning from their adventures, he longed to go on an adventure of his own. He befriended Merry Brandybuck, wanting learn from him. Orlo's family don't particularly mind their young son going off on adventures, just as he's careful whilst doing that "adventuring lark."

[ September 21, 2002: Message edited by: Ringwraith Number Two ]
Old 09-21-2002, 06:12 AM   #55
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Just a quick note for Anarya Silverbranch, Aylwen Dreamsong, and Ithaeliel:

When I copy the first post for Erebor (the one posted above, for your advance notice) on the game thread, I will add Stonehelm's request to a servant for "your characters" to meet with him for a joint meeting that afternoon. Thus, I need to know by Sunday who your characters are. Sooner would be even better. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

This anticipated meeting will give you a focus to write around. Your character can reminisce about his past as he prepares for the meeting. He can meet with one of the other characters to discuss the meeting with the King. He can be seeking advice from his family. He can be meeting with tradesmen about trade possibilities and problems--gathering info for the King. He can be buying his personal supplies for the long trip ahead. He can be waking up from a drunken spree. The possibilities are endless. Or your first post can start that meeting. (You will need to discuss amongst yourselves who does this.) Maybe you have other ideas for your first post--that's great; go right ahead and use them.

You might want to talk with each other about these posts in particular when you also are making plans for the route to take. At the meeting with Stonehelm, you will be discussing a request from Orodan of Mirkwood to travel together through Mirkwood. Be prepared to make that decision at the meeting. (If you choose 'yes,' then learning how to get along with these elves will be part of the stuff of the journey, as will dealing with the terrain/geography of the forest.)

Have fun. I'm sort of wishing HRH was going along with you! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bethberry

[ September 21, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 09-21-2002, 07:31 AM   #56
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Carneiach,

I hope it is okay with Mithadan if I copy his answer to this same question, of whether everyone will have access on Monday morning. One of my dwarves will be in school. This is Mithadan's reply:

Quote:
I'm aware that there may be issues
regarding both school/work and time zones. We have to start sometime. If someone can't post until 4:30pm EDT that's fine. I doubt that your team will depart in the space of 6 hours. Also, she could provide an advance post, good exercise in planning and coordinating with his/her teammates.
Bethberry
Old 09-21-2002, 08:22 AM   #57
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

Attention Ransom, Robin, and Belin

Please give me e-mail addresses that I can contact you by - that way, if I have something to tell all 3 of you, I won't have to PM you separately.

And if you wish to contact me via e-mail, I can be reached at elenna@barrowdowns.com

(Many thanks to Mith and Barrow-Wight for setting that address up for me - I'm starting to love it! Makes me feel very official)
Old 09-21-2002, 02:28 PM   #58
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Addressed to Carneiach, RW2, and Faye Took,

Considerations of Route. I think it would be best if we take the road through Budgeford and Whitfurrows and go north of the Old Forest, bypassing it completely. We wouldn't see Bombadil, but then, I doubt we'd see him anyway, and as we all know, The Old Forest is a very dangerous place.

So, from Hobbiton, we'd go East through Bywater and Frogmorton, then Whitfurrows to the Bridge of Stonebows. Go along the road north of The Old Forest to Bree and on to Rivendell, where we'd meet up with the Elves.
It's pretty much a straight shot East to Bree and then to Rivendell.
What do you think?

Here's a map with the route outlined in olive.

[ September 21, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 09-21-2002, 02:57 PM   #59
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

I *am* playing catch-up for this RPG project, but I hope to have background and first post up before Monday.

I see Jo's post above, but have not heard from *Varda*, so if you're reading, please make sure to let me know you're available!

I'm not ignoring this -- just have much to do this weekend! Looking forward to this -- it should be quite good.

Thenamir of Rohan
Onwer of the First Rohan "Domino's Pizza" Franchise
Old 09-21-2002, 03:50 PM   #60
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Thenamir - You're here! And I posted on the first page.

Playing a dwarf should be an interesting experience.

So, what's our background?
Old 09-21-2002, 04:17 PM   #61
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Hello Susan and everyone else, I guess I will be Odo if thats all right with everyone else [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2002, 04:29 PM   #62
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Sting

Joy, I don't think Nogrod, or Belegost for that matter, were destroyed, unless in a war that I haven't read about. They definitely weren't destroyed in the sinking of Beleriand, because I'm pretty sure most of the Ered Luin survived, and Nogrod and Belegost were in the middle, just above the Gulf of Lune. *looks at a few maps* But don't take my word for it. The proportions look about right though.

So, what's our route going to be? *consults more maps*
Old 09-21-2002, 06:16 PM   #63
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Rhûn Nation

Backstory
More than 100 leagues east of Mirkwood forest lies the Sea of Rhûn. This great inland body of freshwater, fed by watersheds of the Grey, Iron and Orocarni Mountains, has more than 2000 miles of shoreline and forms the natural boundary between two nations. On the western side, between the Gondath Hills and confluence of the Rivers Carnen and Celduin lies the country of Dorwinion, famous for its wines. Its people are a mixture of many societies, and it has always traded freely with the peoples of the west, though it has also always paid tribute Mordor. East of the sea, beyond the thick Ernaraw Forest, Middle-earth opens up into a wide land of rolling plains occupied by many small nations united into a confederacy known in Gondor as Rhûn but to themselves as Ozren. Ozren rule stretches to the Mountains of the East and hundreds of leagues south to beyond Mordor as far as Khand. Its chief city, Ozvalda, lies in the heart of the northern plains.

Ozren first came together in the early Third Age under the guidance of Sauron, newly arisen from his defeat at Orodruin. Before that time, it had consisted of small kingdoms contantly warring with each other. The Dark lord used his cunning to convince them to unite and expand to the west. Thus begun centuries of warfare between Gondor and Ozren, and countless lives were lost in the struggles. The enmity between the two lands countinued to grow, and many wars were fought. Finally, at the end of the Third Age in the War of the Ring, the armies of Ozren were devestated in the Battle of the Morannon and the Battle of Dale. Mislavini, Great Captain of Ozren, submitted to an unconditional surrender on 15 March, T.A.,withdrew his forces and returned to Ozvalda.

Since that day, Mislavini has waited in dread for a summons from the king in Gondor. Though there was no immediate occupation of his lands and there were no stipulations put onto him other than to withdraw and not come westward again, Mislavini feared that an invasion was inevitable. Even if the Gondorians were true to their word and did not attack, he knew that Variags of Khand, less devestated by the recent warfare, were likely to encroach. Combined with the exodus of freed slaves from Mordor, Ozren’s southern borders were a military nightmare.

Role-Playing Aid (for a Discussion Thread if there is to be one)
Ozren Society
Ozren Society is a very feudal society that developed from clans that formed nations that eventually formed one confederacy. Mislavini is the Great Captain and rules with an iron fist from Ozvalda. Ozren consists of 23 different nations, each run by its own Great Chief. Each nation is responsible for itself but answers ultimately to Mislavini. Justice is controlled internally and is seldom fair. The rich live well and the poor live dismally. Military service is a way for someone to become rich, or for a family to be rid of an unwanted son.
Ozren Technology
Ozren is less advanced than Gondor, but it is not stuck in the stone age. They have never had the close relationship with Elves that the west has, so their crafting is not as functionally or aesthetically effective as Gondor’s. That’s not to say that they can’t possess things of great make or value, but such things will be rare and highly valued.
The Military
Military officers have horses. Everyone else exept for cavalry walks or rides in wains. Cavalry is chariots and scouts, no heavy cavalry. Organization is simple but effective. Discipline is sometimes lacking but heavily punished.
The Ozren People
Ozrens are strong and brave people, and they are not stupid. They may be a bit dirty and uncouth, but they are not cavemen or hairy Vikings, though they are chauvensitic. They are somewhat superstitious. They are proud to the point of arrogance. They have many vices, including alcohol and smoking – a practice they invented independent of smoking in the Shire. Their pipeweed is not the same pipeweed, but it is similar.
Characters
All characters in this RPG must be Easterlings. Kasteni will be my (The Barrow-Wight) character and will be used to guide the story and introduce new characters. Pay attention to what he says and does.
[I]Our Game[I]
Our goal is to get to Minas Anor in Gondor. That’s a long way. We’ll have to pass through a several nations of Ozren, past the Ernaraw Forest and the Sea of Rhûn. We should pass through Dorwinion and then down to Dagorlad and Ithilien, perhaps straying into the Dead Marshes. Eventually we should cross at Osgiliath and reach the City of Gondor.

First Post
Mislavini sat on his great wooden throne and watched the tark emmisary pass through the tall doorway at the far end of the hall. His golden crown sat crookedly on his brow as he cradled his chin in his hands and pondered the summons from Gondor. Though it had been expected, its friendly tone had not been forseen. Mislavini had been prepared for a humiliating demand for his presense before the new king, but instead he had received what seemed to be a cordial invitation to dignified conversation. Perhaps it was a trick.

Since he was a small boy and his father had been Great Captain, he had heard of the treachery of the tarks and their wicked allies the Elves. His library was full of tales of the many Ozren peoples that had been slain by the enemy to the west, tortured and burned in a manner worse than even the Dark Lord dealt out to his foes. But when he had stood dumbstruck at the Morannon, suddenly bereft of the driving will of the Lord Sauron, he had witnessed mercy instead of malice, wisdom instead of cruelty. It had shocked him, and he had doubted its sincerity immediately, thinking it was but preparation for some later evilness. But the summons had finally come, and it had been a request for peace and friendship instead of a list of demands.

Mislavini stood and beckoned to his steward who stood in the shadows at the side of the hall.

“Kasteni, my friend. It seems we have a choice to make.”

“Indeed we do, my lord.”. The steward stepped into the light. His hair was dark and long like the Great Captain’s, and he shared the same long, hawkish nose and piecing dark eyes. But where Mislavini was massive and muscular, like most of the people of the northern plains, the steward was tall and thin, showing the Carnic* blood that flowed in his veins.

Mislavini stared at his steward, waiting for him to say more, but Kasteni remained silent.

“Well, what do you think?” the Great Captain asked at last. “You heard the message, and it is obvious that we will have to send a representative. With war imminent on our southern borders there is no possibility that I can go, so I must send my best man. But who will accompany you?”

Kasteni smiled and said, “I already have a few people in mind, my Lord.”

He pulled a small sheet of parchment from his pocket and wrote a few quick notes on it.

“Doorward! Come here quickly and then go summon the people on this list!

The chief guard at the door rushed forward, took the note and rushed from the hall.

Kasteni looked to Mislavini. “Let us have a drink while we wait for my companions.”

*The Carnic people were the original occupants of the lands that became Ozren. For many centuries they were persecuted, but over time they once again became prominent in the politics of their own land.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:27 PM   #64
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Susan, it's been a while since I visited the riddlegames.

Quote:
Well, I'm psychic. Whoohooooo *makes mysterious hand gestures*
LOL!

Wow, this is getting exciting. I'm working it out with Brinniel which of us will play the tradesman, and which the King of Leonarra.

Guys, it seems like Harad (and until now Rhun) have the least-defined cultures, so we'll have to invent something. Ready for a flight of fancy to reject or sign off on?

Harad

Customs and Cultural history
Harad is a combination of the southern tribal culture of the men who did not serve the Noldor when they came to ME, and (whether they like it or no) the culture of old Numenor. Note, I did not say Gondor. Gondor has grown and changed, leaving many outdated customs behind. In Harad, many of the ways of old Numenor are preserved exactly, with little understanding, though the Haradrim assume these customs to be their own. For example, they stand at their seats a moment before dining (though they did not adopt the Gondorian custom of facing West which began after the fall of Numenor). Their soldiers use the Gondorian salute of the arms crossed, though they use the original salute of just the right arm across the breast. The tithe system also continued from the occupation of Numenor. The tithes are currently sent yearly to the king of that particular city state. Consequently the Kings of Harad are fabulously wealthy, their capital cities exotic.

Authority
Strangely, this has served to underscore allegiance. The Haradrim have fanatical devotion and respect for authority, whether it is the head of their family, or the nation.

Language
Numenorean words have slipped into their language, such as 'King', which they've used in place of the tribal word 'Hahn.' It means 'highest' and can denote any leader so long as he is at the top of the chain of command. So a captain on a mission, if he is the highest authority available, is the 'king.' But if there are two of equal authority, then there is no 'king,' even if both by the usual standards of the word are kings. This tends to cause some confusion. It was fortunate that 'King' Elessar had travelled far in his life. He tactfully ommitted the title 'King' from his invitations to Harad, implying he was an equal inviting equals. (Er, right, Child?)

Superstition/Elves
There is an ancient distrust of the western elves and their power, a superstition passed down from the time of the second breaking, a rumor as it were that the elves of the 'otherworld' and their bright jewels brought cataclysm upon the world. The story of Feanor, from the perspective of Men and Middle Earth, is found in their songs. The elves' close association with Gondor did not help this superstition, though the 'elves of this world' (i.e. elves who did not go to Valar, such as those of Mirkwood) are accepted.

Judicial
Each family is responsible for their own. Should a family member be convicted by the 'king,' the family is responsible then for the punishment. Families take this very seriously, as their family name is not cleared until the punishment is abated. Death sentences they can be carried out by the head of the family, or more commonly, the criminal can elect to die in battle serving his family. His hands are tatooed with the family 'name' (Haradrim names usually refer to animals or mythical combinations of animals, so their name will be a picture of that creature. Fairly simple and practical system of names), he is manacled and a member of the family assigned to see to it he carries out his sentence. If you note that this system is ripe for abuse to 'up' conscription, you are quite correct. Numenorean overlords took advantage of this system, and many powerful leaders of citystates have done so since.

The Two Peoples of Harad
There are actually two races in Harad - the inland Haradrim, who are lighter skinned and taller, and the coastal Hardrim, who are very dark and massive. The Numenorean overseers on the various farms in the inlands tended to be cut off from regular contact with Numenor during the occupation. They commonly 'went native' (or joined rebels as the men of Numenor called it). This has blended their races. The inlands have historically been supported by farming and trade, consider themselves more civilized than the coastlords. The coastal Haradrim are more closely related to the Corsairs, have returned often to their raiding ways. They consider the inlanders to be rather weak and effete.

Clothing
The Haradrim (both inland and coastal!) love bright colors and fine cloth, silks in gauzy brilliant hues, gold, and dazzling colorful jewels. Rich and somewhat tasteless, with an appreciation for the exotic and unique - and a little competitive one-upmanship - they are a dwarf's dream customer. The Lonely Mountain is fairly salivating at the opportunity Harad trade represents.
Due to the humidity and high temps, they wear loose flowing pantaloons, loose tunics slit at either side, though they also often go bare-chested. In their love for decoration, they have taken tatooing to an art form. They will tatoo anywhere but the hands. A tatoo on the hand represents a criminal condemned to death, a fairly common event in this aggressive culture.

Music and Education
The original culture of Harad survives in its fullest form in its education system: its songs. Songs have been handed down from the earliest history of man. In fact, surprisingly, outside of the elven histories (where those who witnessed those events are still alive) it is the most accurate history of Middle Earth. It includes history of Man that is not recorded by Elvenkind. This 'export' is more valuable to the Elves than any jewel, and includes information about elven races of the East who had disappeared and lost contact after the Elves went West. Relatives who may be still alive. Legends that have been forgotten elsewhere. They may contain the fate of the Entwives. Locations of Hobbit cultures outside the Shire. The Harad have no idea what they know, and Numenor in its arrogance has dismissed these 'songs.' Even Elessar doesn't know.
The Haradrim warrior priests memorize their oral tradition, teach them to children, and sing them at the feasts of the full and new moon. The midsummer and new year. Music and song is interwoven through the entire fabric of Harad culture. The choosing of the warrior priests is a carefully kept secret.

[ September 22, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 09-21-2002, 07:51 PM   #65
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Sting

That's some great background info, Maril. It will be a fun challenge for your players to stick to them. But that's the fun of roleplay - you get to be someone else. If you can successfully play someone completely different than yourself or your favorite, then you can have a lot of fun!
Old 09-21-2002, 08:41 PM   #66
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Mr. Barrow-Wight, you take all the fun out of being an Easterling! Vanima wanted to be evil, too. Ah well, let's see, here goes my really bad try at this:

Ulwyte's (I believe that's what I told you Mr. BW..? Excuse my poor memory.) family had great (for an Ozren family, that is) wealth, and had quite a bit of power in his easternly nation. They had been the least affected by Sauron, for they lived on the brink of Rhun. Ulwyte was a scout for the Chieftein in his small nation, often sent to Ozvalda for running errands. His father traded with countries beyond Middle-earth, and so how their small nation was one of the wealthiest in trade and commerce. Ulwyte himself has never seen Gondor or Minas Tirith, still being quite young, and had been lucky enough to be among the few who continued running their trade with distant and foreign lands while they were at war.

Ulwyte is known to Kasteni because of the messages he carries to the Great Chieftein, and great wealth he brings from his little, nearly-forgotten nation.

Hope that cuts it, Mr. Barrow-Wight!

GW
The Seventh Age Warg
Old 09-21-2002, 09:44 PM   #67
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Boy, Maril, those riddle threads were a very long time ago...mind if I ask what brought it up?
You know, it's funny, those riddles were actually the reason I joined the Downs. Oh what wasted hours an offhand comment over the phone can bring...not that I'd trade the time I've spent here for anything [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2002, 10:16 PM   #68
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hello, BW! Fortunately generalizations have so very many exceptions, and even 'American culture' varies from town to town. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] The team can nix any part of it, too. Any slips into Gondorian behavior has been accounted for, of course - the stamp of Numenor it is. Heh. The point is to have fun with it.

Susan, you mentioned the riddles recently in the 'how I found the Barrow-Downs' thread. I think that was in February? Or was it April? I remember being home sick and playing riddle games with you and was charmed to find out that was where you started. There were some real stumpers in that lot! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-Maril
Old 09-22-2002, 09:47 AM   #69
Carnëiach
Haunting Spirit

Eye

yeah susan i spent way too much time trying to work out the answers to some of your riddles...i never got the answer to one of them, but i cant remember most of the riddle, just my guesses on it.

where do u live susan and approx what time will u be postin?
Old 09-22-2002, 09:59 AM   #70
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Okay: BW: I PM'ed this to you, but I'll post my main character here anyway (tell me if you can get my very minor character in somehow)

Name: Lovek
Position: He's kind of high militarily. Not too high, but high enough to have respect.
Brief History: Lovek was born into a military family. His father held the same position he now possesses. His mother was the daughter of another commander. The marriage was to the advantage of both families. Lovek was basically raised in the military, joining as soon as he was old enough. He has seen many horrible things in the many battles he has participated in. He never married.
Physical Description: about 6'2" with dark, nearly black hair and very fair skin. His eyes, too, are almost black.
Personality: He is pretty arrogant, but also very disciplined. His men, unlike many in Ozren society, are very disciplined by the time they have finished training.
Items:
  • His father's old sword (which he has used ever since his father dies)
  • A black cloak
  • A necklace of his mother's
  • Basic healing supplies, although he is, in no way, a healer.
Since he is an officer, he rides a horse. It is black and big, about 20 hands. It's name is Ratislav. (I forgot to mention that to you in my PM, BW...)

[ September 22, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 09-22-2002, 10:17 AM   #71
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Sting

Mithadan, when are we going to build the Discussion threads? (Assuming that each kingdom will have its own discussion thread) Can I go ahead and open them now??

Just so you know, all the Rhûn players have contacted me and are ready to roll!

[ September 22, 2002: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]
Old 09-22-2002, 11:34 AM   #72
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Sting

Ah, I loved those riddles...I was sad when they died. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Carneiach: I'm on the west coast, and work, but if Mithadan opens the thread at ten am EDT, then I should be able to get in here witin an hour of the thread opening. That is, if i don't oversleep and have to rush off to work. I'll try not to do that.

For the record, my team's ready and waiting (some of us impatiently [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) too
Old 09-22-2002, 11:41 AM   #73
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Sting

Well, I don't know the background or first post or anything like that...I've made my profile and sent it to Joy and Thenamir but I can't do much more.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:54 AM   #74
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

BW or Mithadan

I was unaware you were opening separate discussion threads for each region. It would make it easier to communicate with each other if you did.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:07 PM   #75
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

It certainly would...no wading through information we don't need to get to the nuggets we do. Also, this would make the mentors' advice more private.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:32 PM   #76
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

I second that - it's a little difficult to PM everyone separately, especially when I want my people to see the same things at the same time.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:32 PM   #77
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Sting

I'm not sure if we are opening seperate discussion threads. Stand by until Mithadan replies. He's in charge.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:19 PM   #78
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Wait wait, who's The Fifth going as? I should at least know his name so I don't have to shift through everything!

And on Monday, I got school (yuck!) and since I live on the west coast, I may be the latest to post. I'll post as soon as I get home from school, but then I have community service, so I may not post again until the evening. I an hoping Mr. BW and my fellow Easterlings won't have posted too fast or else I'll be playing catch-up at the beginning of the RPG!

GW
The Seventh Age Warg
Old 09-22-2002, 01:21 PM   #79
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Sting

Ack, everyone's talking about being last to post and I don't even know what our first post is! I'm feeling confused already! Not the best way to start!
Old 09-22-2002, 01:23 PM   #80
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

Well, I'll be one of the first - I have a study hall at 11 tomorrow. So all you Rivendell-dwellers are lucky! You can all thank the computer that did my scheduling.

I don't know about this separate thread thing, but it seems like a good idea to me!