The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #481
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
May be it was that you were loud and annoying when you weren't flirting, Phantom, my love.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:25 PM   #482
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have to go soon and I think I am going to vote for Diamond.

Kath has pulled the wool over my eyes before and I will kick myself if she is tha wolf but I think she has been a bit too disengaged to be a wolf. If she is a wolf her lack of involvement would be a dampener.

Phantom and PanMan ..I have been suspectiong you alternately and can't decide....

Diamond..... also quiet but manipulative. Could be classic flying under radar wolf.

Have an inkling she would have been keener than most to get Roa out of the way...

Comments ..or are you boys going to lynch me?

Old 11-21-2006, 03:33 PM   #483
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Would I intentionally hand you knowledge that would help you?
I'm guessing no as that would be unfair to the WW.

But, you didn't "hand us knowledge", so I'm not sure that your question and my answer rule out anything I've said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
May be it was that you were loud and annoying when you weren't flirting, Phantom, my love.....
"Annoying", maybe, but loud? Psh, I've been a regular Kath in this game.
Quote:
Phantom and PanMan ..I have been suspectiong you alternately and can't decide....
Mwu ha ha! Actually, we're both Werecreatures! He's the WW and I'm a Werebear. Fea never said there wasn't a Werebear, did she now?
Quote:
I doubt it. Not quite so much as SPM, but there have been a couple instances in this game where you've had the absolute perfect innocent reaction to something, and thus if you are a WW you have done a worthy enough acting job to deserve a pass through today.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:36 PM   #484
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Far from perfect I be...

but innocent I am...

Shall I stay around for your hundreth post, Mr Taciturn?

Old 11-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #485
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
Shall I stay around for your hundreth post, Mr Taciturn?
What? I've been around on the Downs for years. I passed the 100 mile marker a long time ago.

Oh. You mean on this individual thread.

That's pretty darn scary if you ask me. But then I promised Fea that I was dedicated to making her happy when I agreed to join the village. That's been my number one goal.

And if only you knew the joking that went on via pm surrounding that goal. *snigger* You know I love you, Fea.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:49 PM   #486
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
You know I love you, Fea.
I love cake.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:49 PM   #487
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh well now I might have to vote for you in a fit of jealous rage.... use lynching as a vehicle for a crime passionnel.....

Old 11-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #488
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Oh, Mith, don't you remember Ang's quote- I spurned the Dark Lady. My "love" for her is the brother-sister variety. She wanted me to pull a Turin and I refused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
I love cake.
Ha ha! Reminds me of the time I told a GF of mine that she had moved up to the #53 spot on my "Things I Like" list, just above BBQ potato chips and below the movie "Speed".

Ah, but seriously, which way are you going with this, Mith?

Di or Kath?

As I said, I'm leaning Di currently.

If you're the WW all you have to do is get Di lynched today and leave Kath and I alive for tomorrow, for I will be voting for her.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:01 PM   #489
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
just above BBQ potato chips and below the movie "Speed".
You liked her more than BBQ chips and she wasn't happy? I think you were dating the wrong girl, love.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #490
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Di.... Kath seems more convincing today.. and it may be nothing but somehow night kills of Elempi, Roa, Nogrod seem more Di than Kath.

But any of you could be guilty. but I think Di or Kath are most likely ..you and Sauce ... hmm alpha male combats are not a wolvish monopoly.......

but for today I will go for the distaff section of the village......I think..

Old 11-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #491
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
You liked her more than BBQ chips and she wasn't happy? I think you were dating the wrong girl, love.

Being seen as less animated than Keanu Reeves isn't a great aphrodisiac.... almost up there with "almost beautiful in this light...." grrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 11-21-2006, 04:19 PM   #492
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Time to go..cannot stop yawning ...and there is a bottle of cab sav awaiting my return... I hear it calling me

++ Diamond18

Old 11-21-2006, 04:25 PM   #493
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Undoubtedly.

But then again, I didn't say it was a particular brand of BBQ chips, like Dino.

But it was "Speed" being in front of her that she found so offensive. She wasn't an action movie fan, and not a Keanu fan. Yeah... that should've been a clue that she wasn't right. Who in their right mind doesn't appreciate action movies and Keanu?

I will be leaving in about an hour, and will be gone till the last half hour of the day. Just so everyone knows.

I can't believe we've generated this many pages when you consider our village size isn't very large and the top thing that gets discussion time in most villages (Wolf team behavior) isn't even present.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #494
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Back. But I'm tired and have a busy morning tomorrow. So I'll likely only be around for another hour or so.

Just saw this:

Quote:
The other possible quote might be this-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
And I don't think we can assume that the other wolf would have been the wolf's top priority that was Sauce's theory and I shall have another look ..... It still worries me that he was so keen to know the wolves relation to each other .. and if I recall correctly he never feels he has won if he is not alive and so a wolvish sauce would take scant pleasure from the other wolf's victory if he did not survive...
Can't be that because it's not dead on accurate. I have always made clear my opinion that Werewolf, the regular variety at least, is a team game. I consider that all on the winning team are entitled to share in the victory, even if they do not survive to the end. As for this game (which is hardly regular), I remain unclear whether the Wolves were ever on the same team. I would have made the same enquiry regarding that issue whether a Wolf or innocent. Difference is, I would not have revealed my understanding had I been a Wolf.

I see that the village is leaning towards lynching Diamond. Unless I am much mistaken, however, she has not put in an appearance toDay. Would a Wolf really be absent for the best part of the Day with so few villagers and a distinct possibility of being lynched? Unless she is gambling on us giving her the same leeway that we gave Kath teo Days ago.

Hmm.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:08 PM   #495
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

It would be nice if everyone was here. You see, I just had a wild idea for a plan that would guarantee a Villager victory.

Now, that doesn't mean anyone would go along with it. The plan is ridiculous and so I can see people refusing it, but the fact remains that it is a fool proof plan. The main reason people wouldn't go along with it is that there doesn't seem to be absolute trust in my declaration of innocence. To that, I don't know what to say, other than just think of who you're dealing with here, and trust your gut. Surely in your gut you know I'm innocent and that I wouldn't be content to win as a WW at this point.

And then, even if you don't trust my declaration, trust statistics. From the view of another innocent, there is only a 25% chance that I am a WW. That's as good odds as you can get in this game. You might as well take a gamble and trust me.

Then, once everyone agrees to trust me, the four of you use all of your votes up so that there can't be any take-backs. Tie everyone at one vote a piece so that I can decide who to lynch.

Then, all four of you go back to their most recent post and EDIT IT!!

As you know, according to the rules that will give you instant death. And so, if everyone dies except me then the village wins! And if anyone refuses to edit their post, then it is obvious that they are the remaining WW and I will vote to lynch them and thus they will die despite their refusal to edit their post.

That's brilliant, eh?

Of course, there's no possible way it's going to happen because Kath isn't here and I think Mith is gone now, too.

But I just had to say it. I couldn't resist.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:09 PM   #496
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question

In light of what the FeaMod said, is there any point in me trawling through Mith's posts?

I'm betting that it was the thing about the phantom being loud and annoying.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:11 PM   #497
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

*sniff* You Brits are so mean.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:12 PM   #498
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Even if we could put our trust in you 100% phantom, that would be an appalling way to win.

And to think that I incurred such disapproval some time back for attempting to secure a village win through a mass lynching ...
Old 11-21-2006, 05:16 PM   #499
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Even if we could put our trust in you 100% phantom, that would be an appalling way to win.
Ha ha ha! The WW would be seriously angry.
Quote:
And to think that I incurred such disapproval some time back for attempting to secure a village win through a mass lynching ...
I wouldn't have disapproved.

Remember, I'm the guy that in WW IV, put forth a plan that called for us to lynch innocent volunteers the first two days.

And the village regretted not following my plan, for we lynched our Ranger on Day 1.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:23 PM   #500
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

OK. Here's the way that I have been thinking.

I am willing to continue placing my trust in the phantom's seeming innocence - for toDay, at least. You do realise, TP, that if you are the Wolf and you win, I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever be able to trust you again and shall campaign ceaselessly for your lynching in every future game that I play in with you.

Having played Goose to Kath's Duck, and having spotted her and dutifully helped her to the win, I like to think that I would be able to spot a KathWolf. I have seen some possible furriness in her voting. However, other than that, the only basis for suspecting her is her quietness. And, in my experience, a lupine Kath is not as quiet as this, particularly when she has been arousing suspicion.

If Mithalwen is a Wolf, I shall personally hack myself into convenient bite-size portions and deliver them nicely hand packaged to her. I sense not a whiff of lyncanthrope about her. If she be the Wolf, she deserves the win.

Which leaves me with Diamond, about whom some good points have been made toDay. But would she be so quiet with so much at stake? It's just not like her.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #501
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
If you're the WW all you have to do is get Di lynched today and leave Kath and I alive for tomorrow, for I will be voting for her.
Which leaves ... er ... oh, gee, thanks Mr P.

Now, how's that post count of mine going ...
Old 11-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #502
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Well, that does it. No WW would take the time to type that many "ever"s. SPM has to be innocent. Either that or once again he has displayed a perfect innocent reaction to something and thus should win as a WW.

As far as Kath and Di, I said from the start that I was leaning Di, and with Mith's vote for her as well as SPM's stated experience sniffing out a Were-Kath, Di definitely seems like the way to go.

++Diamond18

Even if she's innocent at least I feel pretty good about my vote today.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:41 PM   #503
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I'll be back 30 minutes before the deadline. Bye.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:43 PM   #504
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Well, that does it. No WW would take the time to type that many "ever"s.
No. They would cunningly use "cut and paste".
Old 11-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #505
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Silmaril

It just occurred to me that, if we lynch Diamond and she turns out to be the Wolf, it means that the game would most probably have ended with a village win on Day 2 but for the flip of a coin ...
Old 11-21-2006, 07:02 PM   #506
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

I need to get some sleep ...

++Diamond18
Old 11-21-2006, 08:38 PM   #507
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
No. They would cunningly use "cut and paste".
Those tricky devils. They know all the shortcuts.
Quote:
It just occurred to me that, if we lynch Diamond and she turns out to be the Wolf, it means that the game would most probably have ended with a village win on Day 2 but for the flip of a coin ...
In most villages there is a very fine line between a blowout WW win and a blowout villager win. Pretty much every village that I've ever been in, there was one tiny little thing that if it would've been different the whole game would've changed.
Quote:
I need to get some sleep ...
Let us hope this night's sleep is not interrupted.

And Di, if you are innocent then just consider this payback for voting for me twice.

But of course I'm rather hoping that you are guilty.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:06 PM   #508
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

End of Day. Shh, sleepy time.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:37 PM   #509
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

For many days and nights chance had held her high, delivering her from death, keeping her in safe company, guarded carefully within cloud castles of the mind, armed with winged golden archers stocked with flaming arrows, and tall swordsmen clad in silver mail to keep her and to guide her from harm's way, and she seemed safe from all that was ill in this village. But this evening came and she knew her priviledge had expired, for now it was not in the stars to hold her destiny but in the selves around her. And the selves had chosen.

And a blade sliced over soft stone, gleaming silver in the last light of day, and she looked at it sadly, and she spoke to the stars, and to any voice who could hear, "My love, my dearest love, your sacrifice bought me only few more days, fleeting days, and full of fear, but for it, my only, my dearest, I thank you."

And the sword cut through the air and met with her and she fell to the village, and lay pale upon the ground, and blood spilled gently from her neck around her severed head until it seemed to form a halo, and the villagers looked toward each other with alarm, for they had seemed so sure, and they were filled with regret, for it was only for the Dark Lady’s issues had they filed their minds; for the gracious Diamond had they murdered; put rancors in the vessel of their peace only for her; and their Eternal Jewel was given to the common enemy of man.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 11-22-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #510
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

"I pray you, sir, is it your will to make me a stale amongst these mates?" Her first words rang sharply through the moonlight, and no one could hear them. Those still alive of the village slept soundly, as though drugged, and Kath was by no means the calmest nor happiest she had ever been. Her father, long dead, oft bore the brunt of her midnight anger, and she blamed his spirit for every misdeed, and every upset, and every part of her life that went wrong, because it was easier to be cruel than to be kind. And she knew that, kind man as he had been, he would understand her need for somebody to blame, and his label of father seemed so convenient...

She glared at nothing and continued her monologue, speaking her frustration with those around her to the silently listening walls. She had a feeling, one of deepest concern, that she would meet her father once again in far too soon a time. Her only comfort was that she could explain to him then how he had become so useful to her. Until such a time, she would continue to talk to herself, and call it to him. She asked him of her death.

"Why," she began, "and I trust I may go to-night, may I not? What, shall I be appointed hours; as though, belike I knew not what to take and what to leave, ha?"

It was not until then that she knew. She would not suffer an uncertain death at the hands of an unknown enemy. She would not be tamed so easily. Her words, so thoughtless now held new meaning.

When the village found her at dawn, it was with an empty jar from the apothecary, and she smelled strongly of drink. She had known well what to take, and she had left them. And in her ready hand they found a note:

My mind hath been as big as one of yours,
My heart as great, my reason haply more,
To bandy word for word and frown for frown;
But now I see our lances are but straws,
Our strength as weak, our weakness past compare,
That seeming to be most which we indeed least are.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 11-24-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:32 PM   #511
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Is it me, or are the Nights drawing in.

Well, I wasn't expecting that. Here is the modest reasoning that I worked out overnight:

SpM dies: Wolf = Mithalwen
Phantom dies: Wolf = Kath
Mithalwen dies: Wolf = phantom
Kath will not die.

The wolf makes an unpredictable kill yet again.

I had more or less settled on the idea that, if the phantom and I both remained alive on the final Day, then the phantom must be the Wolf. But that was on the assumption that, in such circumstances, Mithalwen would be the one to die overNight ...

I still find it difficult to see why on earth any Wolf would want to be left with both the phantom and I as company on the last Day. That certainly applied as far as Kath was concerned since, on the basis of what was said yesterDay, she was the next suspect in line for both of us (but seemingly not for Mith) after Diamond. With Mith, I am not so sure. She could well be relying on the phantom and I turning on each other this final Day on the basis of the reasoning that I have outlined.

Still, every fibre of my being is currently screaming at the top of its voice: It's the phantom! He's the Wolf! He's taken you for a fool almost the whole game! Lynch him now!

It's taking all the will power I have to resist voting for him right now. Still, even with a retraction available, there is no call for an early vote.

But Mith? Mith has seemed so innocent the entire game. And I just don't see why a MithWolf would risk drawing such attention to herself on Day 1 in voting for Bethberry.

That said, it has certainly served her well for the remainder of the game, being one of the reasons that I, at least, have had her on my "probably innocent" list throughout. And it certainly fits with the pattern of a random and unpredictable Wolf.

Rats! I am rather stumped at present, with very little to go on.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:24 PM   #512
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Well, I have been back over the entire thread and remain as clueless as before.

I felt sure that I would be able to spot the Wolf toDay on the basis of the identity of last Night's kill. And then the Wolf went and killed the last person I was expecting to die ...

It could be either of you, and I have no idea which one.

I'm going to have to sleep on it. I'll be back with more thoughts (RL) tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:57 PM   #513
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Interesting. The WW passed up a free win by killing Kath. Why?

Anyway.... I'm going to make a case for why you are a WW, SPM. And then I'll make a case for Mith. Keep in mind that these cases were hastily typed and poorly thought out. I don't have time for much else.

SPM=WW

Why am I still alive? Well, it would just be so much more fun for you to win with me around, wouldn't it? I can't blame you.

And killing Kath, well, since I had already promised to vote for her you felt that either I was bluffing and would surely vote for you or you felt that I was serious and did not want to win that way. No, no... you want me either to be lynched or choose incorrectly and add your vote to mine.

Proof that SPM is the final WW is as follows-

On Day 1 he came in with his WWs in competition claim. He seemed to care enough about the game to not only know the rules, but to make further inquiries. And yet, in his very next post he suggests everyone tie each other up at one vote per person and leave it to Fea to flip a coin. He did not know (or acted like he did not know) what the rules actually were in that situation (only the first two would be candidates).

Hmm... very odd. He is completely ignorant of the rules on one issue, and yet has knowledge beyond the rules on another issue. Can you say inconsistent?

But I hear you ask, "Why would Sauce put forth his WWs-in-competition theory if it would cause his fellow WW to gun for him?" Well, that's quite simple. He did it because he had no intention of looking like a WW. Rather clever, don't you think? Suggest that the WWs kill each other in order to look innocent and then if the other WW follows your advice you are safe since you appear innocent, and you are also safe from the village by virtue of the fact that you look innocent.

Nicely done, SPM. That was, without a doubt, a play of phantasmic proportions.

And one thing you said really amused me. On the day we lynched Ang, you said this to incriminate him-
Quote:
But most of all, he has seemed continually to be testing the water to see whether there might be any prospect of lynching the phantom. Several times during the course of the game, he has indicated that he might consider voting for the phantom (at times jokingly, but this jocular approach might well merely be serving as cover). You see, I think that a Wolfish Anguirel wants to rid himself of his self-confessed nemesis, the phantom, and yet would not stoop so low as to kill him at Night. He wants to see this particular enemy laid low in a fair fight - by getting him lynched.
I think it's so very funny, because this actually applies to you. You've kept me alive this whole time not to kill me in the Night, but to beat me during the Day. You just took your reasons and applied them to Ang. How wickedly lovely.

And I adore the way you've treated me throughout the game. You've voted for me twice, and yet you continually make statements of trust in me. You offset your paranoia and present suspicious facts about me (which makes me guilty) versus your gut (which declares me innocent). It's beautiful, it really is. It reminds me strikingly of WW X and the way that I as a WW treated Kuru. Seriously, read that game. It's identical tactics.

Throughout this game your reactions to what people say and the way you vote has been very innocent in appearance. Fantastically innocent. I've never in my life seen a WW with such perfect innocent reactions. Suberb, I must say. Bravo! Three cheers for SPM, the great WW!

And now that I've proved SPM is a WW, I will prove that Mith is a WW.

First, it would be so like Mith to keep SPM and I around. She wants to take down the big dogs, no doubt about it. There's no way SPM would've left Mith and I alive together. There's too much of a risk that we'd unite against him.

Second, the kills have not been what I would do, and therefore not what SPM would do. We are both creatures of logic, nearly to a fault.

Then look at this gem from Day 1-
Quote:
Me? Not really in either category - I was spectacularly lucky in my successful wolvish outing. Ayway I'm not a wolf this time so... I maybe the weakest link .. the innocent you could most afford to lose... but I hope it won't be goodbye just yet ... this is befuddling but far from dull and I would like to stay a while....
Mith is trying to look harmless and lost and non-threatening. *WW alarm sounds*

I also find post #94 interesting. Mith mentions two people... SPM and I. Has she been set on us as the final two for the entire game?

And her vote for Beth. It is quite obviously an attempt to obey the Dark Lady's orders. Those orders- be as random and chaotic as possible.

And comments like these also pinged my radar-
Quote:
to kill someone that no one could possible ever discount as a wolf without a seer's confirmation is either brave, foolish or eccentric
Quote:
and I really thought there was a good chance I would be the kill
And also your continual mention of "hmm... I wonder if both WWs are already dead". I don't like the way you say it. Cause obviously a WW would know that it's not true.

Anyway, there you have it. SPM is the WW- no wait, Mith is. Er, SPM actually... um no, Mith.

Anyway, there's no way I'm going to be able to discuss things tomorrow. I have maybe ten minutes tomorrow morning and ten minutes in the afternoon. That's it.

Yeah... the day not starting at the usual time pretty much killed all chances of participation for me.

So, I will probably be posting a ++ in 6 hours.

Then I will immediately do a -- and follow it with another ++. That way you won't be worried about me running in and changing my vote.

As far as who it will be for... perhaps I'll flip a coin.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:26 AM   #514
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Interesting thoughts, phantom.

Many of the points which you make about me apply equally (from my perspective) to you. And the points which you make against Mith mirror the way that I was thinking about her when I reviewed the thread last (RL) night, down to the very quotes that you have used.

No time to elaborate right now.

However, I do not think that you should vote, retract and vote again when you return. Because, if you are not a Wolf and you get it wrong (ie if you vote irrevocably for me), you will effectively be handing the game to Mith.

By all means cast a vote, but please save your retraction until later in the Day if you possibly can.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:29 AM   #515
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Well, it's time. I'd love to be able to actually talk a bit and put forth a real effort, but this five minutes is the only chance I have to post today.

And so, without further delay...

++SPM

--SPM

++Mith
Quote:
but please save your retraction until later in the Day if you possibly can
I won't be able to be here later today.

The game is now yours to win, SPM.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:31 AM   #516
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Aaargh! We crossed.

But at least you mande the right choice.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:35 AM   #517
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Actually, looking more carefully, I see that you did read my post before doing that.

You know, this makes you look incredibly innocent, phantom. I cannot see a Wolf taking such a risk, but rather think the Wolf would wish to save his or her vote until the last possible moment. But maybe that's what you want me to think.

Quote:
The game is now yours to win, SPM.
Actually, the choice is now mine to win or lose the game. I only hope that, for the sake of the village, I make the right choice ...

Back later.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:07 AM   #518
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Phantom, my dear, if you are innocent, you have just lost us the game..... ironically I was leaning to the pan man beint the guilty one but my choice is now immaterial it seems... just a question of being lynched or devoured.

Well played Sauce...

Old 11-24-2006, 06:12 AM   #519
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Because you can negate a vote of mine to force a tie......

Of course if you are innocent we could gang up on TP ...but youaren't are you....

Been far to confident about my innocence like Ang before... only myself, Fea and a wolf could be certain. Yes it would require more restrain and forethought than characteristic to pull off the bravura performance necessary but only the wolf could know that it was impossible...

*sighs*

Old 11-24-2006, 06:13 AM   #520
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe Warning: long quote-laden post ahead!

Well, there is little sense in me making out a case for the phantom being the Wolf, as he will seemingly not be returning to respond. Suffice to say that there is sufficient evidence to view him as a possible Wolf, but at the same time I somehow get the impression that he is innocent. That said, I can see myself voting for him, if only to avoid the humiliation of having been outwitted by him.

Since Mith is likely to be here later toDay, I will set out my thinking on her in order that she has an opportunity to respond before I cast my vote.

Day 1

Quote:
This really is a bit of a Donald Rumsfeld farewell game ... known unknowns and no doubt many unknown unknowns.... so stabbing in the dark may be order of the day....
Reinforces the random nature of the game and could have been calculated to induce a sense of pessimism within the village. A pessimistic village, it seems to me better serves a Wolf, rather than the village itself.

Quote:
Me? Not really in either category - I was spectacularly lucky in my successful wolvish outing. Ayway I'm not a wolf this time so... I maybe the weakest link .. the innocent you could most afford to lose... but I hope it won't be goodbye just yet ... this is befuddling but far from dull and I would like to stay a while......
Could be an early and subtle attempt to throw us off the scent by playing herself down as a danger.

Quote:
I am inclined to think that the Pan Man is innocent because it makes more sense ... it would be a bit risky and attention seeking for so early in the discussion. But while I am good at spotting a cobblerish Pan Man I find it hard to read him when he plays a less ambiguous role .... but I could vote for him to maintain the tradition if you so wish .. but I don't think it would be a great choice ...

The phantom is not a priority either ... he is being quite constructive... and tooo obvious.... but he and Fea have such a convoluted history .... argh .... make me the village contortionist I am getting into knots...
As the phantom noted, this post is interesting, given that it is the two of us who are left with her at the end.

Quote:
I can't resist but though it be madness there is a little method in it... I do have to go now. I feel a vote for any of my other random suspects might be too significant at this early stage. I feel votes are going to be very spread out and two or three might be enough to seal someone's fate.... on this most random of first days I shall be completely random .... and risk the consequences if my fellow villagers think I am copping out... which is a valid perspective but heigh ho....
Seeks to explain her “random” vote for Bêthberry in reasonable terms, possibly aware that it is a relatively high-risk strategy for a Wolf to draw such attention to herself on Day 1.

Day 2

Quote:
Fea's narration does suggest Morm was a wolf but better to assume we have two to find....
Introducing uncertainty as to the number of Wolves left - suits a Wolf more than it suits the village.

Quote:
My vote for BB was half punt in response to the unknown situation ... ...half course of action least likely to cause harm....... had I been a wolf I would erred on the side of not being so attention seeking.. and not giving the rest of you an easy excuse to lynch me in absentia.
Staunch defence of her vote for Bêthberry - suits a Wolf to seek to establish as early as possible that it was not the likely vote of a Wolf.

Quote:
No, it is what I expected after mormegil's role was not specified... Fea was unlikely ot waive the divine right of moderators . We are her Lab rats and she will want as much amusement as possible. She has waited a long time for this and was so certain on who she wanted ... she has a purpose ...... whether there is any system or code that will allow us to understand or whether we are dependant simply on luck I am not sure.

Personally I am going to roll with it....and see what happens....
Again, emphasising the randomness of the game might be seen as suiting a Wolf better than an innocent.

Quote:
Oh yes... I wonder if there is any point in us speculating why each of us was chosen? I assume I was to be a loose cannon ... which is not something I am actively trying to be but is often a by-product of my personality ....
Would fit the idea we have of what Fea intended for this game – a “loose canon” Wolf.

Quote:
Yes that is one of the things that annoys me ..I mean TP is not known for his modesty but the implication that only the Pan man is clever enough to be worth communicating with is a little insulting ... but what do I know ... having announced me strange for my vote and then dismissed as being too random to be a threat to the wolves ...
Might this be Wolfish discomfort at the attempts of the phantom and I to explore the possibility of forming an uneasy alliance?

Quote:
Chaos is my natural environment, so I think this game disconcerts me less sinceI knew it would be a magical mystery tour from the beginning. RL is so crazy this seems quite relaxing (and I must vote soonish for the ancient parent is still housebound and zimmer-framed and has been alone all day..). The fact this is so bizarre and that I am objectively probably the weakest player mean I have nothing to prove, no particular responsibility..it is quite liberating.. but I am fairly clueless...
Again emphasising the random nature of the game (her natural environment, she says), and the self-deprecating comments are again possibly calculated to make us feel more comfortable about her - to portray herself as little threat.

Quote:
I will throw in my lot with my liege lord in another place...
A very quick vote for Eomer on the basis of Ang’s “trap”, putting him on 2 votes, tied with Diamond. Not really a lot in this, given that it was only the 2nd vote, but the haste with which she jumped on Ang’s reasoning might be seen as alarming.

Day 3

Quote:
However it depends how genuinely random the second wolf was ... and we can't be certain that Eomer whetehr Eomer was "chosen" or "random". As a mod, it is tempting to restart the random selection if the balance looks wrong. However with no gifteds and a high calibre group of players it is less likely to be tempted to tinker than if you draw very experienced gifted versus a team of wolves who are novice, notoriously absent, isolated by timezone, or vice versa
An attempt to muddy the waters?

Day 4

Quote:
Blimey .. that is a surprise ......... to kill someone that no one could possible ever discount as a wolf without a seer's confirmation is either brave, foolish or eccentric .....
Is Mith brave, foolish or eccentric? I’ll say no more on that, save to note that it might suit a Wolfish Mith openly to describe the Wolf in terms that either are not traditionally associated with her or which it might be considered impolite to apply to her. Also, of the three of us left, Mith is the most likely to express surprise at her own choice of kill.

Quote:
There is that other outside possibility that Morm was a wolf and Fea is messing with our heads by picking off unlikely folk at night..
More water muddying?

Quote:
I think it was you who said something about my Bethberry vote being safe looking back ... well hindsight is great isn't it? But anyone who has played a few games of werewolf knows how people can get lynched for very little on day one.

Voting for Bethberry would not have been be a good choice for a wolf because:

a, far too attention seeking and conspicuous.

b, there was a possibility that others might have joined me "in a let's see what happens" approach..... now as has been pointed out, wolfs as lone operators are nearer their goal if anyone else gets lynched. The risk of "wasting" a kill on Bethberry would to my mind rile the wolves more than innocents. A couple of people were anti my punt I must look back and see who they were.

Paranoia does seem to be taking root... heigho...
More justification for her Bêthberry vote – she has consistently relied on this defence on the few occasions that suspicions have been raised against her. Also, perhaps suggesting that anyone who might consider her a suspect is being paranoid.

Day 5

Quote:
I wonder if the wolf has factored that in to his kill choices... also knowing that I cannot possibly be around to so long becasu eI must vote early and inconclusively...
The reference to Thanksgiving Day was plain confusing (to me at least). More muddying of the waters? Also possibly looking for sympathy on the basis of her enforced vote timing?

Quote:
I think you, Sauce, said something about Di wanting ot tie up the vote at the end, and it did make me wonder if it suited the wolf to have fewer people around at the end of the day (hence mainly US side night kills) and possibly to keep someone who would have to vote early always.. who couldn't retract ..

To be honest this theory is based partly on successful wolf game when on the last day I just had to wait for one innocent to get a vote and it was game over.
The rules were rather different - can't retract, in event of a tie first to the tied number of votes dies... but I just thought it worth mentioning as a possibility...
Interesting that she was already thinking about how the final Day might go. I didn’t really think about that until toDay. But emphasising the tactical issues surrounding her voting time might be seen as a bad move for a Wolf in her position (ie generally required to vote early on).

Quote:
I can only repeat that I may be a bit crazy but I am an accountant, however (to use a Pratchettism) "bursar" I had gone, as a wolf, I would not have risked wasting a kill for fun. That would not be prudent.....

However if you lynch me it would force the wolf to kill someone else tonight which might be more helpful than my death.
Yet again relying on that Bêthberry vote. And playing a bit for sympathy. As if to say: “Go on, lynch me if you must. I’m innocent, but you can afford to do without me”. A tactic that has been used by Wolves in the past. Also, seems a bit over the top, as she was in little danger of being lynched at the time.

Quote:
I have to go soon and I think I am going to vote for Diamond.

Kath has pulled the wool over my eyes before and I will kick myself if she is tha wolf but I think she has been a bit too disengaged to be a wolf. If she is a wolf her lack of involvement would be a dampener.

Diamond..... also quiet but manipulative. Could be classic flying under radar wolf.

Have an inkling she would have been keener than most to get Roa out of the way...

A possible “testing the water” post? The phantom had already indicated he was leaning towards voting for Diamond, so it would make sense for a Wolfish Mith to test alternative possibilities, while suggesting that she was most likely to vote for her.

Quote:
Did Mith deliberately not follow this suggestion because it might point too obviously to her?

Conclusions

1. Mith has consistently relied upon the Bêthberry vote as the key indicator of her innocence. It could well be that she took a calculated risk on Day 1 in order to provide herself with this defence for the remainder of the game. It has certainly served her well up to now.

2. On a number of occasions, Mith has sought to play herself down as a danger, portraying herself as “the weakest linkest”, a “loose canon”, the "weakest player" and the villager that the village can best afford to lose. I can’t help but think that these sort of comments have contributed towards her being somewhat overlooked as a possible Wolf. Whereas, contrary to the impression that she has sought to give, Mith is an extremely capable player and a most dangerous adversary.

3. Although I have not posted the occasions when Mith has provided seemingly helpful analysis, many of her stated thoughts do seem to be directed towards emphasising the random and unpredictable nature of this game, possibly to reinforce any pessimism that we might have had over the chances of catching a Wolf. Similarly, much of her analysis might be seen as muddying the waters, obfuscating rather than clarifying. Obviously, heightened confusion best serves the Wolfish interests.

4. Mith has played in a manner consistent with Fea’s plans – random and unpredictable. She also (unlike the phantom) might be seen as having provided a good counterbalance to Eomer of the Wolfirrim.

Mith, although this post has focused almost exclusively on you, I should make clear that my mind is far from made up. It’s just that I have been concentrating on the phantom for much of the game, and have somewhat overlooked you so far.

I shall not be voting until much later in the Day. I would welcome the opportunity to consider your thoughts on the phantom.

Btw – I think that it’s pretty clear by now that I am innocent. Were I the Wolf, I would not be expending such effort on trying to ensure that I make the right choice. Rather, I would by now have taken the game by simply following up the phantom’s final vote with a vote for you, Mith. If you vote for me, it would not, were I the Wolf, save you, but it would seal the phantom’s victory, if he is the Wolf.