The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2017, 05:27 AM   #1
Victariongreyjoy
Haunting Spirit

Victariongreyjoy has just left Hobbiton.
What type of forces did Sauron had in the second age?

Was it just mordor orcs and goblins? Did he had Easterlings, Haradrim and Variags at his disposal? It's said in the books that during the war with the last alliance, he had orcs, men and other creatures. Does this imply to bats, wargs, fell beast, mumakil, crebain crows, spiders and trolls?

Last edited by Victariongreyjoy; 12-22-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Victariongreyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It's pretty much impossible to say what peoples and nations inhabited what parts of Middle-Earth some 4500 years before the War of the Ring, except for Lindon, Eregion, Moria and what very little Tolkien tells us of the Numenorean holdings.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victariongreyjoy View Post
Does this imply to bats, wargs, fell beast, mumakil, crebain crows, spiders and trolls?
I would think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
It's pretty much impossible to say what peoples and nations inhabited what parts of Middle-Earth some 4500 years before the War of the Ring, except for Lindon, Eregion, Moria and what very little Tolkien tells us of the Numenorean holdings.
True, but in general I think we can assume that the peoples of the East and South lined up with Sauron.

In some respects we never knew much about the peoples of the East and South so the greater obscurity regarding them in the Second Age is only slight.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #4
Victariongreyjoy
Haunting Spirit

Supernatural forces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
I would think so.

True, but in general I think we can assume that the peoples of the East and South lined up with Sauron.

In some respects we never knew much about the peoples of the East and South so the greater obscurity regarding them in the Second Age is only slight.

I've always wondered how Sauron during the S.A managed to destroy the Noldor kingdom by mortal forces. I mean we know how strong the elves were, even more so by high elves. Did Sauron himself contributed his magic to help his forces destroy the elven kingdom or was his forces so massive the elves didn't stand a chance? Or did he had any supernatural forces?
Old 12-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
I've always wondered how Sauron during the S.A managed to destroy the Noldor kingdom by mortal forces. I mean we know how strong the elves were, even more so by high elves. Did Sauron himself contributed his magic to help his forces destroy the elven kingdom or was his forces so massive the elves didn't stand a chance? Or did he had any supernatural forces?
From the unfinished Tales section The History of Galadriel and Celeborn, it looks to me like Sauron simply overwhelmed the Elves with superior numbers.

After all, when the Númenóreans showed up to aid the Elves, it seemingly wasn't all that difficult for them to reverse the tide. If some sort of sorcery had been a big factor in Sauron's early victories, I wouldn't think that should have been the case. And no dragons or Balrogs were around to help Sauron either, it appears.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
Victariongreyjoy
Haunting Spirit

Ringwraiths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
From the unfinished Tales section The History of Galadriel and Celeborn, it looks to me like Sauron simply overwhelmed the Elves with superior numbers.

After all, when the Númenóreans showed up to aid the Elves, it seemingly wasn't all that difficult for them to reverse the tide. If some sort of sorcery had been a big factor in Sauron's early victories, I wouldn't think that should have been the case. And no dragons or Balrogs were around to help Sauron either, it appears.
If the ringwraiths or similar beings were made by Sauron to lead his armies, would he have any upper hands against Ar-Pharazon and the numenorean army? Or are the numenoreans not so easily scared like their kins in later generations of Gondor?
Old 12-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #7
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
I don't think Eregion ever had much in the way of population, so I don't think it would be too hard for Sauron to militarily overwhelm it.

Quote:
If the ringwraiths or similar beings were made by Sauron to lead his armies, would he have any upper hands against Ar-Pharazon and the numenorean army? Or are the numenoreans not so easily scared like their kins in later generations of Gondor?
Had there been enough time for the Ringwraiths to assume their final form?
Old 12-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #8
Victariongreyjoy
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
I don't think Eregion ever had much in the way of population, so I don't think it would be too hard for Sauron to militarily overwhelm it.

Had there been enough time for the Ringwraiths to assume their final form?
Let's say for fantasy sake they assume the form they were in Lord of the rings. Could they drive Ar-Pharazon's army back?
Old 12-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #9
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Drive back?" This isn't the Jacksonverse. The power of the Nazgul is *fear*. Now, anyone who's studied military history, or wargamed, understands how potent a force multiplier that can be: morale is absolutely crucial, and having nine airborne AOE weapons with a -100 Morale attack could be devastating. Tolkien towards the end of Book V describes the effect they have on many of Aragorn's soldiers, even flying high and out of sight.

But then again, as Gandalf told Frodo, "they have no great power against the fearless." Aragorn and Glorfindel weren't deterred, and behind their leadership even the three young hobbits were willing to charge at them. I don't think that Numenoreans at the height of their power would be affected especially badly. (Also: the flying beasts of the War of the Ring were apparently brand-new; anciently the Nine were stuck with horses.)
Old 12-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
Victariongreyjoy
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
"Drive back?" This isn't the Jacksonverse. The power of the Nazgul is *fear*. Now, anyone who's studied military history, or wargamed, understands how potent a force multiplier that can be: morale is absolutely crucial, and having nine airborne AOE weapons with a -100 Morale attack could be devastating. Tolkien towards the end of Book V describes the effect they have on many of Aragorn's soldiers, even flying high and out of sight.

But then again, as Gandalf told Frodo, "they have no great power against the fearless." Aragorn and Glorfindel weren't deterred, and behind their leadership even the three young hobbits were willing to charge at them. I don't think that Numenoreans at the height of their power would be affected especially badly. (Also: the flying beasts of the War of the Ring were apparently brand-new; anciently the Nine were stuck with horses.)
So it's more likely Ar-Pharazon and his army would stand their ground and try to kill the nazgul? Or would sight of his massive army scare the wraiths away instead?
Old 12-23-2017, 11:18 PM   #11
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
So it's more likely Ar-Pharazon and his army would stand their ground and try to kill the nazgul? Or would sight of his massive army scare the wraiths away instead?
Yes, Ar-Pharazon's army was the greatest "mortal" army ever assembled, and basically caused Sauron's army to flee in terror. Consider the audacity, even as deluded as Ar-Pharazon eventually became, to invade Valinor. Upon seeing the "Great Armament", the Valar themselves invoked Eru's aid to stop the siege outside the walls of Tirion.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:45 AM   #12
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

Remember that the Witch-King and the entire army of Angmar were routed by "a small sending-force" of Gondor under Earnur, and that was 2000 years after Ar-Pharazon's day.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:24 PM   #13
Rhun charioteer
Wight

Rhun charioteer has just left Hobbiton.
He most certainly had the easterlings and Haradrim. As well as hundreds of thousands of orcs, maybe a vampire or two, and trolls.
Rhun charioteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #14
Victariongreyjoy
Haunting Spirit

Bats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhun charioteer View Post
He most certainly had the easterlings and Haradrim. As well as hundreds of thousands of orcs, maybe a vampire or two, and trolls.
Vampires and bats were two different species right? Do you think he had hundred of bats at his disposal and wargs?
Old 01-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #15
Rhun charioteer
Wight

Rhun charioteer has just left Hobbiton.
I mean the sort of vampires that existed in the silmarillion not the traditional vampires of folklore or popular culture(Tolkien's vampires were quite different from how they were(and are) traditionally portrayed).

He also most certainly had wargs.

Last edited by Rhun charioteer; 01-09-2018 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Addition
Rhun charioteer is offline   Reply With Quote