The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2001, 06:04 AM   #1
Ghâshgûl
Pile O'Bones

Ghâshgûl has just left Hobbiton.
Question Female Nazgûl???

Just a simple (maybe stupid) question for those who know Middle-Earth better than me, and who have read Tolkien's books in english:

Is it sure that all Nazgûl were male?

Ghâshgûl
Old 10-25-2001, 07:27 AM   #2
Kin-strife
Haunting Spirit

Kin-strife has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I guess it isn't 100% sure, but a female Nazgul is unlikely as there's no mention of any as far as I know. It is said in the Sil that those that used the nine rings of mortal men became in their day "kings sorcerors and warriors of old". No mention of Queens. That's all I can think of. Perhaps a more advanced Tolkien scholar can think of something more conclusive.
Old 10-25-2001, 06:43 PM   #3
Eldar14
Wight

Eldar14 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eldar14
Sting

All the examples that I've seen seem to me all the accounts of the Nazgul refer to them using male terms (aka. Kings, men, etc.)

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Eldar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 11:33 PM   #4
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Sexist comments aside, you know, I'm, only stating facts -- generally, men are better soldiers than women. As Sauron's most powerful servants, yes, I should say they were all male, for sure.
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 08:30 AM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sting

Given the scarcity of female warriors in Middle Earth and the reasons mentioned above, any of the Nazgûl being female does seem highly unlikely.
Old 10-26-2001, 11:46 AM   #6
Eldar14
Wight

Sting

"Sexist comments aside"

Reading that gave me the idea that Sauron was probably a sexist, which would be one more reason for the Nazgul not to be female.

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Old 10-27-2001, 06:52 AM   #7
Dréw

Sting

Weren't the Nazgul Kings of Men who were given the nine rings for men and enslaved by Sauron?
Old 10-27-2001, 08:57 AM   #8
Kin-strife
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Thinking of the sexist sauron remark, does anyone know of any mention of a female orc? Since orcs reproduced they had to have existed (unless they multiplied like gremlins) but I don't recall reading of any. Were orc parties unisex and, if not, what did an orc-maiden do all day? Were they just used as breeding machines or did they provide a more notewothy role in society?
Old 10-27-2001, 09:55 AM   #9
Eldar14
Wight

Tolkien

There was a string somewhere regarding female orcs, but I can't seem to find it, not even with the search thing. I myself think that there were female orcs, even mixed in among the ranks, but since the Hobbit and LoTR were written from the Hobbits POV, and since female orcs were butt ugly, it wasn't written. Also, since orcs are twisted from elves, there would have to be female ones.

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Old 10-27-2001, 03:34 PM   #10
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Most of our knowledge and speculation regarding female orcs has been laid down here.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 01:48 AM   #11
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

*can't help it* I'd just like to point out that a WOMAN...along with a "halfling" [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]...slew the Nazgul King...just in case all you guys forgot [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 03:46 AM   #12
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sting

Point taken. Éowyn was certainly an exeption, however.
Old 10-28-2001, 06:59 AM   #13
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

*curtsies* why thankyou [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:50 AM   #14
Kin-strife
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Quote:
All you guys
And my I enquire how you derive sex from a name such as Kin-strife? It's not even a name.
Old 10-28-2001, 05:26 PM   #15
Halbarad
Wight

Halbarad has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wasn't kin-strife the translated name of one of the slayer Giants in Stephen Donaldson's books? That would make it a name, albeit translated from giantish (I must digress). I agree tho- how does sex get derived from that?
-Halbarad to Aragorn, 'The Passing of the Grey Company' Book V, Return of the King."A little people, but of great worth are the Shire-folk. Little do they know of our long labour for the safekeeping of their borders, and yet I grudge it not"
Halbarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 09:40 PM   #16
Aldaron
Haunting Spirit

Aldaron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd say that if the lady wishes to name herself Kin-Strife, she doesn't have to ask anyone's permission. Let's not get all snide and sexist.
Aldaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 11:50 PM   #17
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Sting

It appears 'all you guys' was simply used to include everyone that had been posting in this thread. I don't think she literally meant everyone in here was male.
Old 10-29-2001, 06:20 AM   #18
Ghâshgûl
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Eldar14:
<STRONG>"Sexist comments aside"

Reading that gave me the idea that Sauron was probably a sexist, which would be one more reason for the Nazgul not to be female.</STRONG>
I see your argument:
Sexist = evil
Sauron = evil
--------------
Sauron = sexist

Hmmmm... With the same argumentation pattern you could say that Sauron was probably a racist. But how does this match to the fact that Saurons armies were the only ones in the Ring War (maybe in the whole history of Middle Earth?) where white and coloured people (and even orks) fought side by side?

Ghâshgûl

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Ghâshgûl ]
Old 10-29-2001, 08:26 PM   #19
Halbarad
Wight

Sting

It's not as simple as A & B= racist= 1
The armies were joined by their allegiance to Sauron (based through fear- he was their God after all) so the statement that he was racist still works because he hates everyone so it doesn't make much difference. Ci?
-Halbarad to Aragorn, 'The Passing of the Grey Company' Book V, Return of the King."A little people, but of great worth are the Shire-folk. Little do they know of our long labour for the safekeeping of their borders, and yet I grudge it not"
Old 10-29-2001, 10:39 PM   #20
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Sting

Why do you say that Sauron was a sexist? He probably wasn't, actually. I don't think Ainur would have much truck with that sort of thing, what with female Ainur being of the same powerfulness as male Ainur.

Re the orc question; there would be no reason not to have female orcs bolstering the fighting forces. Orcs are completely expendable. Having the women-folk in the orc armies, even if they aren't as strong as the male ones, would still significantly increase the strength of the army.
Unless, of course, they were just used as breeding machines. They would be pregnant, and couldn't fight.
Old 10-30-2001, 06:58 AM   #21
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Inziladun's right [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I just lapsed into slang...hmm no I don't think Sauron's a sexist either...and referring to Gashgul's equations I once saw one that ended with woman=root of all evil
Old 11-01-2001, 02:03 PM   #22
Eldar14
Wight

Tolkien

I've seen that equation too, and for those of you who haven't seen it, here it is:

"women take time and money", so
women=time x money

"time is money", so
time=money
so
women=moneyxmoney

"money is the root of all evil," so
money=(square root of)evil
so
moneyxmoney=evil
so
women=evil

"women are evil"

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Old 11-04-2001, 01:39 PM   #23
KayQy
Wight

KayQy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to KayQy
Sting

Was it so good you had to say it twice? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I don't think Sauron was necessarily sexist or racist. You know, the "I'm not racist: I hate everybody!" He would look at people of whatever race or gender mainly as either tools or threats. However, I think he would be all for sexism and racism in general, as ways to spread more darkness and hate, and would most likely encourage it in any way he could.

And I've always considered the phrase "you guys" to be gender-neutral, unless there's also a "you girls" phrase running around nearby.

--OC Supertones, "Wilderness"

"Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter." -- Max Beerbohm
KayQy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 02:12 PM   #24
Eldar14
Wight

Tolkien

whoops, didn't notice I had posted that twice. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Old 11-04-2001, 02:17 PM   #25
Eldar14
Wight

Tolkien

About the arugment that if Sauron was sexist, why wasn't he racist.

#1: He was racist. He vehemently hated elves.

#2: The only proof that he wasn't racist is that he has multi-racial armies. Maybe the only reason he did this was to increase racism in the good armies. Fighting against another race might make them think that whole race is evel. Fighting against women probably would not have made the good soldiers sexist, so no point in having them in the ranks. And of course, there is no simple reason not to, other than him being a sexist.

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Old 11-04-2001, 03:40 PM   #26
Kin-strife
Haunting Spirit

Sting

About the whole "all you guys" comment. I thought (most likely wrongly) that Èowyn was sugesting that all the previous posts were gender biased on their perceptions of women in Middle-earth. Like she was pointing out that a WOMAN slew the Nazgul king "just in case all you GUYS forgot". The second stress was mine and it's there that think I went wrong in my reading of the post. I wondered how she would know my sex. Obviously Aldaron took this to mean that I was of the female persuasion but that MIGHT not be acuarate. I'll leave you guessing. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2001, 07:30 PM   #27
Aragorn303

Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaihir the Windlord:
<STRONG>Sexist comments aside, you know, I'm, only stating facts -- generally, men are better soldiers than women. As Sauron's most powerful servants, yes, I should say they were all male, for sure.</STRONG>
there r decent women warriors take Eowyn for example. so there could have been a female nazgul
Old 11-04-2001, 09:55 PM   #28
Tz-Mc

Tolkien

The probability of female Nazgul is slim to none, being since tolkien wrote about female of other species yet not of this one. If there were female Nazgul they were probably hidden or kept away for purposes of and more likely beyond our imagination.
Old 11-04-2001, 10:41 PM   #29
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Mhoram has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Tz-Mc:
<STRONG>The probability of female Nazgul is slim to none, being since tolkien wrote about female of other species yet not of this one. If there were female Nazgul they were probably hidden or kept away for purposes of and more likely beyond our imagination.</STRONG>

Quote:
NAZGUL(B.S.: 'those of the Ring or Rings') Nine beings, slaves of the Nine Rings and the chief servants of Sauron. Originally Men, perhaps Black Numenoreans, the Nazgul were each given one of the Nine Rings by Sauron in the Second Age....

-A Guide to Middle-Earth by Robert Foster
That is to say...the Nazgul were not a species or race, they were men become wraiths.
Mhoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 06:40 AM   #30
Ghâshgûl
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Quote:
#1: He was racist. He vehemently hated elves
Allow me to play the devil's advocate once again: Before complaining about Sauron hating elves, you should, for example, remember what was the principal occupation of the Rangers: Hunting and killing orcs. Why? Because they were orcs. For a ranger, beeing an orc was a capital crime and was instantly punished with death.

Is this not racism?

Ghâshgûl
Old 11-05-2001, 10:04 AM   #31
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Actually come to think of it, Sauron was much more an equal oppurtunities employer than any1 else in ME. Anyone at all, could be in Saurons army, all you had to be was evil ( or easily swayed ). Can you imagine any circumstance where an Orc would be welcomed into to Rivendell or Gondor with open arms, even if they claimed to have seen the error of their ways.
So stop badmouthing poor old Sauron, he hasnt hurt anybody, well except for all the ones he hurt. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 06:26 PM   #32
Halbarad
Wight

Sting

As I said before Sauron was evil and hated everyone (yes probobly even the Mouth0 so his being racist is irrelevant
Old 11-07-2001, 10:32 PM   #33
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Sting

Quote:
Suron was racist; he vehemently hated the Elves.
I'd call that 'Speciesism', rather.

As for the comment on Eowyn. I'd think that most of the soldiers of the Mark were better fighters than Eowyn, even though she was indeed 'decent'.
Old 11-08-2001, 03:34 AM   #34
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

'decent' anddddd just happened to slay the Nazgul King
Old 11-08-2001, 06:29 AM   #35
Kin-strife
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I think that however good Èowyn was as a soldier was enhanced by the fact that she no longer feared death. This is what probably brought her face to face with the Nazgul King where most soldiers would rather have kept their distance. She couldn't have had nearly as much training as the other soldiers so it must have been a natural ability for her. Perhaps she would have been one of the greatest soldiers had she the training.
Old 11-08-2001, 10:35 PM   #36
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Sting

She'd had the training, as befits an heir of Eorl the Young. Without training, do you think she could have gone into battle with the Lord of the Nazgul?

She slew the Witch-King; but as Kin-Strife says, she was aided by the fact that she no longer feared anything. Fear is what makes the Witch-king so powerful. Take that away, and you have a chance.
Old 11-09-2001, 03:51 AM   #37
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

"the greatest thing we have to fear is fear itself"
Old 11-09-2001, 09:34 AM   #38
shieldmaiden
Wight

shieldmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eowyn is not the only female warrior in M.E. There was Haleth, the chieftain of the Haladin (Silmarilion). As I remember, she was a wise and a brave woman who led her men into battles.
Old 11-09-2001, 11:19 AM   #39
Ghâshgûl
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by shieldmaiden:
<STRONG>There was Haleth, the chieftain of the Haladin (Silmarilion). As I remember, she was a wise and a brave woman who led her men into battles.</STRONG>
If I am not wrong, she led her women into battles! Just anothe example for female warriors in ME...

Ghâshgûl

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: Ghâshgûl ]
Old 06-03-2005, 07:17 AM   #40
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Other than Galadriel, who had issues with power and aggression and dominance (see Celeborn), I don't think we see any other women who are tempted by the Ring.

Clearly, "Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die" is a specific statement about the male sex and not a general statement used by analogy for all of human/huwyman kind.

And just as clearly then, there could not be female nazgul. Females are beyond such power tripping. It's only the wedding ring that gets them.

Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote