The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #41
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of Helcaraxe View Post
I don't think it was, Sauron gained his most powerful servants (the Nazgul) with the use of The One Ring, this helped in the crippling of Arnor. You also fail to take into account that The One Ring greatly enhanced Saurons power which was very important given how Sauron's enemies were much more powerful at the time. His fortification of Mordor after his return to Mordor after the war of the last alliance was made easier given that the foundations of Barad dur still existed thanks to the ring.
Hello, friend. Welcome to the Downs!

You're quite correct in your assessment of the Ring's positive effects for Sauron.
However, the initial premise here was that Sauron was foolish because of his motive for making the One Ring. Its purpose was to help him control the Elves. The subsequent benefits to him were not, as far as can be seen, in his thoughts when he fashioned it.
So,even though the Ring obviously did aid him later, it can still be said he was indeed a 'wise fool' whose plan failed from the start, and eventually led to his downfall.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #42
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Interesting, I don't recall reading that, or it didn't register.

It brings up the question again of what the Men who followed Sauron willingly made of the situation. Their god's actions and tactics had such a clearly detrimental impact on them and he made them fight alongside vile, monstrous creatures which it would be inescapable to understand that they were his primary grunt-work servants. What benefit did the Men of Darkness think they were getting out of this arrangement?
I've often pondered that as well. We know that the Mouth of Sauron spoke of Tribute and spared from death by tithing wealth and annexing lands to Sauron. So, I see an 'appeal to survival' in a vanity of conceit of Overlord as one motivation.

But more to the point, about Sauronic Will, and one point on what we are told by Tolkien about Men being more easily swayed by Melkor/Morgoth/Shadow than the Firstborn.

Seems to be a parable about the promises of greed, coveting, seduction and power, but, by the time you are face to face with Sauron, and 'it's too late to look back', then fear and horror are implied in 'bad decision'.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #43
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivriniel View Post
Seems to be a parable about the promises of greed, coveting, seduction and power, but, by the time you are face to face with Sauron, and 'it's too late to look back', then fear and horror are implied in 'bad decision'.
Can't disagree with you there.