The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2002, 08:45 PM   #1
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting Stupid..

Well..I have been worried and frustrated over this ever since I started reading the trilogy...

I think my brain is not large enough or ready to handle the beautiful and divine enigma and deepness of the LOTR books. I'm to the beginning of the third book, and I feel so...shriveled and helpless.

Its like my mind does not hold enough capacity to absorb all of the superb literature in the books correctly. When I finish a book of the trilogy, I feel like I have a large chunk of understanding missing.

Maybe I'm too young? I am 14. However - my older brother read the trilogy when he was 10, and understood it perfectly.

I don't know... I don't know if I'm ready to handle the books. Should I start mowing through the third book, feverishly trying to understand it more efficiently? Or should I wait until I feel more sophisticated and ready.

I do love the books.. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2002, 08:51 PM   #2
Guildo
Wight

Guildo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guildo
Tolkien

i think you may be trying to hard, i took the fact that i knew so little as a great part of the book, i could involve my self more tyhat way, as if i was a young Hobbit learning all the myths and legends for the first time a being overwhelmed with the history of the world and realizing there is an entire world i dont know all about and understand, but there is the possibility of adventure left for me in middle earth.

Glen Sight
Guildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 08:52 PM   #3
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

First of all, you have placed too much stress on yourself. You do not need to know everything first couple times reading the book. Second, read it and enjoy, do not worry about getting everything, that comes with time. I have read the trilogy three times and still don't understand it as much as other people do.

Again, this should be fun, not stressfull. Get in a comfy chair with a favored drink, sit back and enjoy the adventure!

[ September 11, 2002: Message edited by: Eol ]
Old 09-11-2002, 09:39 PM   #4
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

DarkRose--I think this discussion would be much more useful to you (and, perhaps, to others that have similar difficulties) if you articulated exactly what it is you don't understand.

The impression I got from your post is that you understood the plot without too much difficulty, and find things that you are able to appreciate (what kind of things? Why do you love the books? Surely the things you love are ones you have a particular understanding of?) but you feel that you should be getting more, in terms of deep meaning or the kind of insight that would help you out in the discussions here. Is this correct, or am I making ridiculous assumptions here?

If this is the case, Eol probably has a very good point. This is your first time reading the book, and your first encounter with it, and it would be silly to expect yourself to have some kind of startling and coherent theory of it immediately. These things happen through reflection, discussion, and later readings, which really do allow you to pick up on things you didn't see the first time because you were focusing on following the plot. This is actually true of books in general.

Also, it's possible that you're picking up on something specific to LotR, the references to things that aren't ever fully explained. You get a vague sense of some goings-on deep in the past, but not a real story so much as a glimpse. This is intentional-- you should feel like there's more to the book than you can get at in this sense, and in fact many readers (and I am one of them) consider this effect one of the greatest strengths, odd as it may sound.

Also, yes, you are very young.. I don't know you, so I don't know if you are too young or not, but I wouldn't discount the idea of reading it again later. What kind of understanding of it did your brother have of it at ten? Is it the same as the one you're seeking?

Anyway, if you're already in Return of the King, AND you're enjoying yourself, don't give up!

All right, time to slip back out of tutor mode. Oh, the havoc literacy theory has played on my personality! Anyway, I hope this helped a little.

--Belin Ibaimendi
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 02:27 PM   #5
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't worry about trying to understand it all. I read it when I was about 10 but I didn't understand it all. Have you seen the movie? Did you understand that? You could also try listening to the one on tape. The only thing that will help you is to read it, more then once is necessary for most. Also ask questions. It is very easy to miss very importent points.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:36 PM   #6
Aramacil
Wight

Aramacil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't worry DarkRose you just have to enjoy the story now and don't think about the deeper plot, when you read it the second time you will understand much more.

And it's no shame to read the books slowly, just take your time
Old 09-12-2002, 03:16 PM   #7
Merry Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Merry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Don't worry 'bout it DarkRose. I read LOTR when I was twelve. I've re-read since then and every time I do, I discover a wee chunk of the plot I'd missed last time round. If anything it makes it more interesting, while you're reading it again. I totally missed the whole Aragorn-Arwen thing, I hadn't a clue who Isildur was, and I got all confused whenever anyone called Gandalf 'Mithrandir' (I thought I completely over looked some main character).

So don't worry. You're not stupid, I can guarntee you. Stupid people are the ones who immediately dismiss LOTR as rubbish and don't even give the book (or moive) a try. I pity them. They're missing out.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:53 PM   #8
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I agree that you are trying too hard, DarkRose. I first read The Hobbit when I was eight and The Lord of the Rings trilogy when I was nine (dunno how, at nine, I finished the books in under a year, but I did), and, personally, I didn't experience that.

Buuuut: I'm 15 now, and my best friend is 14. She couldn't even get throught the Fellowship of the Ring, so: do not feel at all bad about it. I started reading 200 page books when I was six, so...whatever: pay no attention to me. I go to a private school, so ignore me.

My best friend is really smart though and she can't get through the Fellowship. Like you, I think she is trying too hard. If you just approach it with the innocense of a 9-year old: not really expecting anything, but just letting the meaning come to you, I think you'll do better. I mean, I fell in love with Elves when I was 8, loved Legolas when I was nine, at the same time thinking Gollum was (I called it "interesting" then) the most complex character I'd ever heard of. I remember telling my mom about the "meaning" behind Gollum...not far off what we talk about on the Forum now in content of what I said, just with simpler words. LOL

Aaaah: memories. To be 9 and honestly think I would become an Elf, go to Middle Earth, and experience the sorrow of the Elves when I was magically transformed into one...I thought I'd be a princess and marry Legolas too...LOL...I miss those days.

Anyway: just relax and let the book come to you!
Old 09-12-2002, 09:10 PM   #9
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

First of all, I'd like to say a huge thank you to all of you who put in your input and thoughts. Reading each and every one of your experiences and bits of advice helped me immensely.

I understand everything a lot better now. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I suppose it would be no fun if I was able to sit down and precisely plan and pin-point down what is happening, what has happened, and what will happen, while reading the books. I should let myself be swept off in the adventure, you're right. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

My problem was, up until I read all of your replies, I felt that I had to press my boot of understanding down on the books. Like I -had- to know and memorize every little detail. I had become overwhelmed from trying to do that, and it was not as enjoyable and smooth and refreshing as it is meant to be.

So THANK YOU, all of you, for guiding me. I'm ready to pick up RotK now and enjoy the ride. Wherever it takes me.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:12 PM   #10
Furry-footed Flatfoot the Hobbit
Pile O'Bones

Furry-footed Flatfoot the Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hello DarkRose, don't worry like everyone else said!!! You are placing too much pressure on yourself to understand everything the first time through. This is a novel that you need to read more than once because each time you will pick up more information. One thing that I found useful was after I read the books, I then listened to the unabridged audio of them. You can sit back, close your eyes, relax, and listen to the story (this also helps you get an idea of the proper pronounciations of certain names). If you do get the audio version make sure it is the Unabridged version with Rob Inglis as the narrator (he's excellent). [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2002, 01:20 PM   #11
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

I read the rings when i was 10, but when i read it there was no real talk of a film or anything, and i hadnt discovered this site. I read it just as a book. To be able to pick up everything all at once in your first reading youd have to be a genius or have studied tolkien for years. Ive only read it twice and then through this site ive learned so much more. Dont try and look too deep into it the first time, youll drown! Just enjoy it and all, youll get more out of it.
god bless
aman
Old 09-13-2002, 06:32 PM   #12
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My dad read it when he was 15, and I read when I was a month from being 14, adn my dad thinks that's the best time to read LOTR.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:40 PM   #13
Naurlothwen
Animated Skeleton

Naurlothwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well... I started reading it when I was in gr. 4 (I read a lot even then) but it bored me at that age. (now I love it!)

I say that you should just read slower through sometimes when your reading fast, you may over look certain details.