The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
skytree
Haunting Spirit

skytree has just left Hobbiton.
Physical Strength

In terms of strength how would you rate these men?

Helm Hammerhand
Aragorn
Boromir
Elendil
Isuldur
Erkenbrand
Hurin
Turin
Faramir
Eomer
skytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Not sure there's any way of sorting them out by what Tolkien wrote. I think Hurin would be foremost in a lot of minds because we know a deal of what he endured.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
skytree
Haunting Spirit

I was thinking probably Helm since he was able to kill with his fists and a huge man and was compared to a Snow Troll. He would go on one man sorties at night into enemy camps and kill with his bare hands.

I would rank them like this,

1.) Helm Hammerhand
2.) Hurin
3.) Turin
4.) Elendil
5.) Erkenbrand
6.) Boromir
7.) Aragorn
8.) Issuldur
9.) Eomer
10.) Faramir
Old 05-21-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Eomer, funny that you say that, although of course as you mention it, I started to think and remember Húrin's deeds in Nirnaeth. Apparently slaying a bunch of trolls requires a lot of strength. But that's the one thing I would recall, if you ask me.

But my first idea would be Helm Hammerhand. Obvious. Take just the epitheton, and what he's done. So as you can see, different minds can think differently. I would think of Helm at first and Húrin is just one name among the rest. I don't know much about the others except for Helm; Erkenbrand would also be something I'd think of (wasn't he compared to Helm after all at some point?). If we are talking physical strength, these guys stand out.

(edit: Cross-posted with skytree.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
You're all forgetting the true all times, hands down champion of Middle-earth - Bandobras Took! I mean, for a hobbit to knock an Orc's head clean off with a blunt weapon and send it flying a hundred yards - wow! If he'd been Man-sized, I bet you anything he would have mopped up the floor with any of the above.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'd like to see where some of the dwarves would rank on this list.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh how fun: a who's strongest thread!

Have to second or third the Helm nomination. That guys packs quite a punch.

Turin deserves a mention too. A lot is written about him and everything seems to indicate he was a beast of a man.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Turin deserves a mention too. A lot is written about him and everything seems to indicate he was a beast of a man.
Strong enough to lift Brodda the Easterling bodily and throw him hard enough to break his neck!
Old 05-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #9
skytree
Haunting Spirit

Unfortunately little is spoken of Erkenbrand other than he is might and that the strength and valor of Helm Hammerhand is alive in him.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #10
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytree View Post
Unfortunately little is spoken of Erkenbrand other than he is might and that the strength and valor of Helm Hammerhand is alive in him.
Yes, but that indeed might be enough, if we are to understand it literally.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:13 AM   #11
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Eomer, funny that you say that, although of course as you mention it, I started to think and remember Húrin's deeds in Nirnaeth. Apparently slaying a bunch of trolls requires a lot of strength. But that's the one thing I would recall, if you ask me.
It's been a while since I've read any of the books (now there's a sentence which shames one to type!) but maybe you're right, Legate. Perhaps I am mixing the physical and mental labour which Hurin endured - particularly at the hand of Morgoth. The dualists won't like it but there you go.