The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #201
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Are there any pictures of Thorin yet?
No...Thorin, Dwalin, and Balin are all missing.

For our resident Elrond fan, Screen Shot from the production video thing that shows him and Bilbo on set.....there you go, Mith.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #202
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*wub* lovely Hugo in a new frock... splendid, thank you. There are other Hugo fans you know.... and I know I am not alone in my appreciation of Mr Armitage even if he be blighted by a beard.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #203
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
*wub* lovely Hugo in a new frock... splendid, thank you. There are other Hugo fans you know.... and I know I am not alone in my appreciation of Mr Armitage even if he be blighted by a beard.....
Yes, but you're the only one I can think of for sure off the top of my head...and I wouldn't want to confuse anybody with another person.

Which one is Armitage? I seldom pay attention to who the actor actually is....

I'm still hoping Cirdan is going to be cast, if the do the White Council...he's named as a member in the books.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #204
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Kili is way too good-looking and beardless for a dwarf!
I would say I completely agree with this...but Folwren has a point. I mean, I'm gorgeous and I'm as dwarfy as they come.

He does not have enough beard though and he looks waaaaaay too much like a hipster.

I know dwarves are supposed to have bigger ears...but is it just me or did they perhaps exaggerate that just a touch? On Nori and Kili in particular it looks jarring in my eyes, like the ears are not really attached to the actors and are just sloppily photoshopped on...

Edit...

And what is with all the stupid looking swords..?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #205
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
And what is with all the stupid looking swords..?
Indeed. They seem to favour axes in the books.
Actually, I always wondered how Thorin could effectively have wielded a sword made for the tall Noldor, but that's another matter.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #206
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Indeed. They seem to favour axes in the books.
Actually, I always wondered how Thorin could effectively have wielded a sword made for the tall Noldor, but that's another matter.
Yes...that's a very good question. Of course, Orcrist, Glamdring, and Sting never made that much sense to me anyways. A glowing blue sword is a good way to tell you that orcs are near - it's also a good way to tell the orcs where you are. Assuming that Orcrist was a two handed sword like Glamdring, it's very odd for Thorin to be able to wield it well, since in my (admittedly limited) experience with swords, two handed swords tend to be longer....of course, who knows what went on in the makers mind. Or maybe the original owner of it was very very short for an elf.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:04 AM   #207
oddkins
Pile O'Bones

oddkins has just left Hobbiton.
Here's two more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBrooke View Post
No...Thorin, Dwalin, and Balin are all missing.

For our resident Elrond fan, Screen Shot from the production video thing that shows him and Bilbo on set.....there you go, Mith.
Balin and Dwalin...
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/07/15/...#ixzz1SAJeGrDI
Old 07-15-2011, 07:17 AM   #208
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Yes, but you're the only one I can think of for sure off the top of my head...and I wouldn't want to confuse anybody with another person.

Which one is Armitage? I seldom pay attention to who the actor actually is....

I'm still hoping Cirdan is going to be cast, if the do the White Council...he's named as a member in the books.

Encaitaire is another but she is seldom here alas. And I rather suspect I was a Hugo fan before she was born

Richard Armitage is Thorin and Lalaith and Lalwende are also fans....

Old 07-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #209
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Richard Armitage is Thorin and Lalaith and Lalwende are also fans....
You might call me a fan...I liked him in North & South.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #210
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I have that on DVD but I havne't seen it yet (I saw the final episode only when broadcast) I need to see if I can get teh silly DVD player to work again.... He was very good in "Spooks"(MI-5) - well in the first series - in teh second they completely reinvented the character and I was miffed. I just think he is pure Numenorean and it seems bizarre he is playing a dwarf.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #211
Nolwë_Namiel
Pile O'Bones

Nolwë_Namiel has just left Hobbiton.
Is it my imagination or does Bombur look like Barliman Butterbur?

Methinks, Mr. Jackson should revisit the trilogy and pay particular attention to Gimli so he can remember what dwarves are supposed to look like.

I guess Thorin's bright blue cloak is a no-go ....
Nolwë_Namiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #212
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I always wondered how Thorin could effectively have wielded a sword made for the tall Noldor, but that's another matter.
He probably wielded it two-handed, similar to a Zweihänder.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #213
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
He probably wielded it two-handed, similar to a Zweihänder.
You'd think the mere length of the sword would have made it cumbersome for a dwarf, though. That would explain why they mostly seem to have used axes and mattocks.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:14 AM   #214
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Odd I didn't mention this before, but wouldn't it be funny if PJ actually gave the Dwarves blue and yellow beards - the way Tolkien described them?
Old 07-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #215
oddkins
Pile O'Bones

And finally...Thorin

TORn gets world exclusive reveal on first picture of Thorin Oakenshield (and Goblin- cleaver Orcrist!)
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011...d-and-orcrist/

Last edited by oddkins; 07-17-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: edited for typo
oddkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #216
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddkins View Post
TORn gets world exclusive reveal on first picture of Thorin Oakshield (and Goblin- cleaver Orcrist!)
Looks like Robert Downey Jr's Battlefield Earth audition.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #217
fimbulfambi

Ugh.

Thorin looks like everything that's wrong with PJ's interpretation of Tolkien's work.

I'm afraid we won't get a cinematic adaption of The Hobbit, which is basically a book for children, but nonetheless has some more subtle, tender ideas and messages which can be moving for adults as well. (Just read the deathbed scene at the end of the novel).

Instead, judging by our previous experiences with Jackson, we will get a nauseating blend of angsty fanfiction, various scenes from other works of Tolkien which just don't belong in The Hobbit (and just don't provide enough material for a fleshed-out narrative - any scenes about the White Council will need completely new dialogues, and we all know how good the PJ team is in that department ), as well as an inappropriate emphasis on the martial aspects of the plot. (PJ's dwarves just don't look like they're about to go on a journey where weapons are only of secondary importance.)

Basically, we'll get a gritty reboot, and the ridiculous images of Thorin, Dwalin and especially Kili prove this in my opinion.

By the way, is there a piece of a hammer sticking in Bifur's head?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...nthebrain.jpg/
Old 07-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #218
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hi! Welcome to the site. Did you find it while looking for a place to vent about PJ's movies, and not be accused of being several unflattering terms (I got called a B**** the other day on another site....it was rather funny. ) If so, you're in the right place.

As far as your final question goes....yes. And I have no idea why. Idiotic costume design...come on, I know Middle-Earth wasn't exactly modern day medical techniques, but I'm pretty sure leaving hammers in somebody's head sounded like a bad idea say, the day after the elves awoke.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #219
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
from what I've seen on ToRN the Dwarves look far too harsh,
unlike The Hobbit Thorin & Co. How they could ever work with
the slapstick comedy of surprising Bilbo (and then Beorn) stretches
credulity.

And that's a good point about dialogue needed in the White Council.

This again is an example of CT's extremism in non-cooperation with PJ
has hurt the movies (he could have, both through general influence and in
rewrites, have ameliorated some of the worst aspects of PJ's films,
while bolstering his strenghts---particularly cinematography).
Old 07-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #220
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
This again is an example of CT's extremism in non-cooperation with PJ has hurt the movies (he could have, both through general influence and in rewrites, have ameliorated some of the worst aspects of PJ's films,
while bolstering his strenghts---particularly cinematography).
Yes, if CT had wanted to, he probably could have had great influence over the films, and stopped some of the idiotic decisions. One of the reasons* - and I'm pretty sure everybody knows I'm a huge fan of them by now - that I like both McKellen and Lee is that they are fans of the books and not just actors reading the script. I believe that somewhere on one of the EE discs, PJ mentions McKellen mentioning to him when things got too far from the book (and if that's true, I shudder to think what kind of movie we would have had without him.).

Edited to add: Just started reading McKellen's Hobbit blog. Apparently, Gandalf's silver scarf and black boots are part of the costume.

*You all would be here all day if I listed all the reasons. They're just cool men.

Last edited by LadyBrooke; 07-19-2011 at 12:10 PM.
LadyBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #221
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

No he couldn't. Unless it is written into the deal authors (or their estates) have no power whatsoever. JK Rowling had power because apart from anything else she hadn't finished the books and could say it compromised the plot.

The other year there was an adaptation of Jodi Picoult 's "My sister's keeper" - they completely changed the ending in a life or death manner and she had no influence whatsoever.

They would have dismissed any criticism of CRT reference his lack of knowledge of screenwriting and movie making. The would have not given an inch. They might have liked his blessing but they wouldn't have wanted any input beyond clearance to use material in UT. CRT is 86 years old and has given us 30 years of editing his father's papers, I hope he spends what time is left to him in pursuits he enjoys. Why should he waste it on something he isn't interested in and can't control.

Lee is a genuine fan, McKellen has been a bit disparaging of Tolkien in some interviews.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #222
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
No he couldn't. Unless it is written into the deal authors (or their estates) have no power whatsoever. JK Rowling had power because apart from anything else she hadn't finished the books and could say it compromised the plot.
He could have played the public. If he hadn't of sounded so anti-movies completely, he could have used public pressure on PJ. You just have to be smart and manipulative. CT is a brilliant man, but his PR skills need work. After all...it's so much fun to try and make the public turn to your side. Politics and the movie industry have a lot in common...

Quote:
They would have dismissed any criticism of CRT reference his lack of knowledge of screenwriting and movie making. The would have not given an inch. They might have liked his blessing but they wouldn't have wanted any input beyond clearance to use material in UT.
So then you make a deal....I'll let you use this, but you have to do this, change that, and do this. And you get it written in a legally binding contract. Then, if they don't do it, you sue them and take all their hard earned by breaking the contract money for yourself. And yes, I really am like that in real life.

Quote:
CRT is 86 years old and has given us 30 years of editing his father's papers, I hope he spends what time is left to him in pursuits he enjoys. Why should he waste it on something he isn't interested in and can't control.
If he isn't interested in it, then why did he try to sue to stop it? Or give any newspaper interviews about it? Though, I agree...if he wants nothing to do with it, then that's his well earned right.

Quote:
Lee is a genuine fan, McKellen has been a bit disparaging of Tolkien in some interviews.
At least he's read the books - I'm not sure how many of the other actors have. I haven't read the interviews, so I'm not able to comment on how disparaging he might have been. I used to be a huge fan of Harry Potter - didn't mean I worshiped Rowling blindly, and I did get on message boards and comment on her mistakes (math is not a strong point of hers...) Not that I'm entirely sure how you can be a little disparaging....I was always thought that disparaging meant regard as being worth almost nothing.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #223
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

1, Christopher Tolkien has lived quietly in France for many years. He does not seek publicity and doesn't even use his own name when travelling to avoid it. Why you think a man already in his seventies would want to start to play media games I don't know. He is neither a politician nor a film maker, he is a scholar.

2, Christopher Tolkien did not make the film deal. His father did so because basically he had a major cash flow problem due to the punitive tax regime in force in the UK in the sixties which meant he had to pay in tax a huge proportion of his earnings before he actually received them. 2a, This isn't about you. He has not sold film rights to any of the works "under his watch" and there is zero chance he will. Adam may feel differently should he take up the mantle as seems likely and he may well have the inclination and nous to set up rowling like controls.

3, I don't think Christopher has given an interview for a very long time - maybe since the Silmarillion - there is a video on youtube - on anything. He did respond to a list of questions regarding the Children of Hurin. The estate sued to stop the film because of a breach of contract. When Tolkien sold the rights for a relatively modest sum there was a clause that he or his estate was due a portion of the profits. These weren't paid and that voided the contract There has been a settlement of an undisclosed amount though the Tolkien Trust accounts give a lot of clues. The Tolkien Trust gives many hundred of thousands of pounds to educational and humanitarian charities worldwide.

4, The interviews I saw gave me the impression that McKellen didn't rate Tolkien as a writer. But then I don't rate McKellen as Gandalf,
Rowling certainly didn't take much care with her Astronomy.

I can't believe Christopher Tolkien is being slagged off for the films failings as well as everything else. He couldn't get more stick if he had burnt every last scrap of manuscript. Absolutely beggars belief... what do you want from the man? Blood?

Old 07-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #224
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBrooke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
They would have dismissed any criticism of CRT reference his lack of knowledge of screenwriting and movie making. The would have not given an inch. They might have liked his blessing but they wouldn't have wanted any input beyond clearance to use material in UT.
So then you make a deal....I'll let you use this, but you have to do this, change that, and do this. And you get it written in a legally binding contract. Then, if they don't do it, you sue them and take all their hard earned by breaking the contract money for yourself. And yes, I really am like that in real life.
Well, apart from the fact that it doesn't apply in this case, since the rights had already been sold, those kind of tactics are much more likely to result in the film not being made at all, or being delayed indefinitely, rather than in improving it. And that's if you (as a hypothetical novelist) were able to negotiate a deal like that in the first place– which is not all that easy. I mean, film people don't like an author trying to drive the production from the back seat. I can't say I blame them, either.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #225
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
2a, This isn't about you.
I wasn't saying it was - I was referring to the fact that that would be unlike him, because it is a rather b***** stand to take. I didn't make that clear enough, that it would take somebody like me, who really enjoys it to do that. As I said in the third quote, he does have the right to stop due to all the hard work he's put in.

Quote:
I don't think Christopher has given an interview for a very long time - maybe since the Silmarillion - there is a video on youtube - on anything.
I got slightly confused - it was not an interview, but rather a statement he released. While I cannot find the AP report itself, which had just the statement, and little of the speculation BBC includes, here is the BBC report in which he says he believes that "My own position is that 'The Lord Of The Rings' is peculiarly unsuitable to transformation into visual dramatic form." You don't release a statement saying that if you have no feelings.

Quote:
I can't believe Christopher Tolkien is being slagged off for the films failings as well as everything else. He couldn't get more stick if he had burnt every last scrap of manuscript. Absolutely beggars belief... what do you want from the man? Blood?
And I can't believe that you have somehow managed to change a I wish he wanted to because it would have been a better movie into blaming him for the mistakes - I leave full blame for the mistakes on PJ. All I said was that I wished Christopher Tolkien had a more active role, because I believe it could have and would have been a better movie. I can understand why he didn't, because he is an old man. I could have easily said that I had wished J.R.R. Tolkien was still around, and would you be jumping on me for that? Because I do. I honestly wish a movie had been made while he was alive, so that he could have reacted to it. I could have said that I wished that J.R.R. Tolkien had a stricter contract sold (which I do) that left limits on what the filmmaker's could do. Do you now think that I blame a dead man for what went wrong with the movies? There's a difference between blaming somebody for want went wrong, and wishing they were there to keep it from getting that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I mean, film people don't like an author trying to drive the production from the back seat. I can't say I blame them, either.
I can say I blame them...if you don't want to stay true to the book, don't adapt a book for a script. And certainly don't claim you're adapting a book, and then go 180 degrees opposite of a book. Because to me, that shows disrespect for the book and the author. Perhaps I'm weird, but I don't think this movie or LotR will be/was an adaption of the books. I think they're a sort of glorified fanfic script, because they're not true to the book. I don't watch movies frequently, and if going to see an adaption of a book, I don't want to see dwarves with hammers hanging out of their heads, or every warrior from Lothlorien get slaughtered in a battle. The worst moments in the movies are when the script has no backing from Tolkien's writings.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #226
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
And I can't believe that you [meaning Mithalwen] have somehow managed to change a I wish he wanted to because it would have been a better movie into blaming him for the mistakes - I leave full blame for the mistakes on PJ.
Very well, but I think you still implied at least (through your wish, even if unintended), that Christopher Tolkien 'should' have done something that he didn't, something that only possibly might have changed the films into some measure of better, which judging by the reactions on the web, 'better' for a film being quite subjective in the first place.

Quote:
All I said was that I wished Christopher Tolkien had a more active role, because I believe it could have and would have been a better movie. I can understand why he didn't, because he is an old man.
Not that you said otherwise, but Christopher Tolkien, at any age, is also entitled to his opinion about the suitability of the book being adapted for film, and we have no reason to not believe him. Plus, as you're talking about mights and maybes here, any involvement would also maybe (which I think likely actually) result in the filmmakers claiming (something like): 'and we had Christopher Tolkien's input too' generalizing in the extreme and giving their films a false sense of 'authorization' even in some measure.

And considering how poor I think these adaptations are (and I obviously cannot speak for Christopher Tolkien), 'better' would need to be significantly better, possibly starting with rewrites on page one, and a wholly different take on certain characters, tone, focus, action, 'modernization' and humor.

What if CJRT agreed with me after seeing the film treatment (as I'm sure he would)

Let's say after months of only hopeful work Christopher Tolkien gave us 'closer to Tolkien' here or there and arguably made the films better, but if the end sum is still significantly poor as far as 'faithful' is concerned, then I think CJRT would certainly be hailed as a contributor, yet in this possible scenario, would feel that he basically failed in a larger context in any case. Even if betterness is achieved (according to enough opinions) there's no guarantee of putting out a work that Christopher Tolkien would not mind having his name attached to -- which I think shirly would happen if the filmmakers changed even only a number of small details because of his advice.

I'm not in the camp of 'never try' to better something even if things seem unlikely, but afterall this is a film (hyperbole alert) not world hunger, and I think your wish places Christopher Tolkien into a potentially unwanted situation; and it's not the first film based on Tolkien's work, won't be the last, and certainly isn't alone among various interpretations from various fields of art.

Ask a man somewhat advanced in years, who already doesn't think the book is suitable for film (for his own reasons) to drop his work on The Children of Hurin (it would seem, and at least for a time), to try to sway some director about the latest film adaptation because it might be better in some measure (if they listen to him), but not necessarily faithful in sum to the work he truly cares about?

Last edited by Galin; 07-20-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #227
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
Very well, but I think you still implied at least (through your wish, even if unintended), that Christopher Tolkien 'should' have done something that he didn't, something that only possibly might have changed the films into some measure of better, which judging by the reactions on the web, 'better' for a film being quite subjective in the first place.
Well, I try to never read implieds into anything anybody says on a forum - for one thing, tone of voice (which is crucial to how I communicate....I have different tones of voice for almost everything, and my friends very quickly catch on to them.), facial expressions, and personalities don't translate well - I am on of those people who likes what ifs, and I tend to comment on them.

Quote:
Not that you said otherwise, but Christopher Tolkien, at any age, is also entitled to his opinion about the suitability of the book being adapted for film, and we have no reason to not believe him.
And I agree with him - quite frankly, I think the Hobbit, judging by facts and pictures so far released by PJ, is one of those films that at the least, can not be adapted by any film maker who is a slave to the current perception of public wants (and judging by Tauriel and the inclusion of Legolas, I believe PJ by now is one. As I said at the end of my post, I believe that filmmaker's who adapt things have a responsibility to keep them as close to the original as possible. If and when PJ fails this, he deserves scorn, IMO.

Quote:
Plus, as you're talking about mights and maybes here, any involvement would also maybe (which I think likely actually) result in the filmmakers claiming (something like): 'and we had Christopher Tolkien's input too' generalizing in the extreme and giving their films a false sense of 'authorization' even in some measure.
Don't they already do this to an extent? I remember there being a hoopla on other quarters of the internet about how they got Alan Lee and the others to work on the film, so it was automatically a good adaption. As it stands, they've managed to turn it into a poor oppressed by the author's son situation. On here, we all know the work Christopher has done. Go on some of the other forums, and you'll find people saying that he's done nothing and is oppressing poor PJ. I can't say that I agree with Christopher Tolkien on all counts, but he ranks higher then PJ for me, just because when he messes something up (like Gil-galad's heritage) he doesn't shoot off about how it improves it, he fesses up and admits it. PJ one the other hand, tends to oh it improved it and made it so much better.

Quote:
And considering how poor I think these adaptations are (and I obviously cannot speak for Christopher Tolkien), 'better' would need to be significantly better, possibly starting with rewrites on page one, and a wholly different take on certain characters, tone, focus, action, 'modernization' and humor.
Agreed - which is why I said that a contract would have been a must in that situation. I don't blame him for not wanting to get into it, especially since even with a contract, there are never assurances of not getting screwed over anyways. Personally, I agree Christopher - I don't think the books are well suited to screen. Not as long as people prefer hot women and action, over plots and characterization.

Quote:
I'm not in the camp of 'never try' to better something even if things seem unlikely, but afterall this is a film (hyperbole alert) not world hunger, and I think your wish places Christopher Tolkien into a potentially unwanted situation; and it's not the first film based on Tolkien's work, won't be the last, and certainly isn't alone among various interpretations from various fields of art.
As an aside, you'll find that I don't like most of the interpretations - I recently worked on a Silm guide for a website, and had to track down artwork for it. By the time we were all finished, we were all nearly insane from that art. That's an aside that really has nothing to do with CT or the films...just, don't search DA if you're not prepared to run across some truly horrible "interpretations" of his works.

I don't see how my wish places anybody anywhere - it was a pondering of a hypothetical, which has no real power. As far as I know, I am not the goddess of movie making or script writing.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #228
Bofur
Newly Deceased

Bofur has just left Hobbiton.
The worst thing about the dwarves thus far:

1) Thorin's lack of a mighty beard, instead he gets a nice trimmed up goatee. They are trying to give him the same bearing as Aragorn, this is obvious, but it just shouldn't be done. He's not exactly that kind of character. Instead, he looks more like a man from Dunland.

2) Bifur's head. Is that really an axe bit stuck in it? Seriously? I hope that it's a joke.

3) Kili looks entirely too much like an Elf. Although I'm not too surprised at this. You all knew it was coming - the attractive one of the bunch. FotR had Legolas, this company will have Kili. Sad but true. Nothing against the decisions to cast a good looking guy, because maybe he's perfect for the role. We'll see.

Other than that, I really don't have too many qualms with the rest of the dwarves. My namesake looks great and I don't mind the weird hat at all. Bombur is okay, I can see why some would dislike him but I really don't mind his design much. Nori's hair has to go but besides that he's fine. Dori and Ori look good to me, and Balin, Gloin, and Oin obviously look like dwarves. Fili looks too Elfish. They're (B, G, & O) probably the closest to Tolkien's dwarves in image, I would think.
Bofur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #229
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Well, I try to never read implieds into anything anybody says on a forum - for one thing, tone of voice (which is crucial to how I communicate....I have different tones of voice for almost everything, and my friends very quickly catch on to them.), facial expressions, and personalities don't translate well - I am on of those people who likes what ifs, and I tend to comment on them.

Well I shall have to post with more caution then

Quote:
Galin wrote: 'And considering how poor I think these adaptations are (and I obviously cannot speak for Christopher Tolkien), 'better' would need to be significantly better, possibly starting with rewrites on page one, and a wholly different take on certain characters, tone, focus, action, 'modernization' and humor.'

LadyBrooke responded: Agreed - which is why I said that a contract would have been a must in that situation.
This is what you posted about a contract: 'So then you make a deal....I'll let you use this, but you have to do this, change that, and do this. And you get it written in a legally binding contract. (...)

What is Christopher going to let Jackson use in exchange for any real say? Jackson already has what he needs to do a film based on The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit. And you seem to agree that for Christopher Tolkien to put himself in this position he must be given a lot of power with respect to creativity and content, power that I don't think anyone imagines he's really going to get.

Possibly getting some things changed is no assurance of a faithful sum total in any case, so realistically why go there if all you can be assured of is the Jackson PR machine shouting the most famed Tolkien name now alive as an advisor.

Quote:
I don't see how my wish places anybody anywhere - it was a pondering of a hypothetical, which has no real power. As far as I know, I am not the goddess of movie making or script writing.
Yet even wishes might contain unfair (from a given person's opinion) criticism.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #230
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
Well I shall have to post with more caution then
Caution is something I've learned is a must on the internet - especially since nobody, as far as I know, has yet to develop mind reading powers (if anybody has, let me know...I'm interested. Might be useful dealing with people on the HP board I frequent...I'm still not entirely sure what one of them meant. There were a lot of 1s, !s, 2s, 4s, and a general lack of letters...)

Quote:
What is Christopher going to let Jackson use in exchange for any real say? Jackson already has what he needs to do a film based on The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit.
I believe that at some point PJ or somebody else made a statement that either said or heavily hinted that they wished they could have used some material from UT - that was what I was referring to that CT had that they didn't.

Quote:
And you seem to agree that for Christopher Tolkien to put himself in this position he must be given a lot of power with respect to creativity and content, power that I don't think anyone imagines he's really going to get.
Yes, I do agree....I have no wish to see Christopher Tolkien get taken advantage of by PJ. While I might be critical of Christopher Tolkien at times, as regards some of his decisions about his father's works and papers, I very much admire his dedication to his father's legacy and the true love he has for it, and would never want him to be compromised by the Hollywood greed machine. Love for the books is one thing that I think PJ has forgotten and left out of his movies....and in my dream of a utopia Christopher would have that power, but sadly my utopia doesn't exist yet, much like my title of queen of the world.

Quote:
Yet even wishes might contain unfair (from a given person's opinion) criticism.
I can see where you're coming from with that....interpretation of one's words is one of the best and worst things about writing and posting anything. I appreciate you and Mith calling me on mine, because it's forced me to clarify some things, and consider how my words might have seemed to other people. So, thanks.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #231
Bofur
Newly Deceased

Bofur has just left Hobbiton.
Check out PJ's newest video blog!

AWESOME TEASERS...

PJ's new vid!
Bofur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:27 AM   #232
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I believe that at some point PJ or somebody else made a statement that either said or heavily hinted that they wished they could have used some material from UT - that was what I was referring to that CT had that they didn't.
Even if Jackson said this, in my opinion some material from Unfinished Tales is not even close to bargaining material for Christopher Tolkien to expect the level of creative control I think he would want; personally I doubt total use of Unfinished Tales would bargain him anywhere near 'power enough' to confidently attach his name to a film project.

If he were interested in making a film that is! which he is not.

Rowling was in a very different position here.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #233
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddkins View Post
TORn gets world exclusive reveal on first picture of Thorin Oakenshield (and Goblin- cleaver Orcrist!)
That did it! I'm not watching the movie!!!

Or maybe I am. >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
How they could ever work with
the slapstick comedy of surprising Bilbo (and then Beorn) stretches
credulity.
Give us food... or else.

Quote:
didn't mean I worshiped Rowling blindly, and I did get on message boards and comment on her mistakes (math is not a strong point of hers...)
Definitely true, if she couldn't count how many years Dennis Creevey spent in Hogwarts before he came to the "DA" meeting in the Hog's Head...

Sorry. I couldn't resist. I will keep HP out of this discussion from now on.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #234
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
That did it! I'm not watching the movie!!!

Or maybe I am
I think some of the Dwarves look a little fake. Thorin should looks too thin (and too young), Kili looks like a human (must have shaved ), Ori looks computer-generated and odd and Bofur looks like a coal-digger from Bree. I can honestly say, though, that I like Bombur, Bifur, Balin, Oin and Gloin. I wish they had kept their hoods and their gold and silver belts, though.

But honestly, sister, I don't think Thorin is quite that bad >.<

I'm dreading what PJ is gonna do, but I still want to watch the movie
Old 07-26-2011, 03:59 AM   #235
oddkins
Pile O'Bones

I have to say that the photos of the dwarves that have been released are rather over-polished, air-brushed and photoshopped (Kili has seven fingers on his left hand!) in comparison to seeing the actors in costume on Jackson's third production video-blog, as linked to by Bofur, previously:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bofur View Post
Check out PJ's newest video blog!

AWESOME TEASERS...

PJ's new vid!
In almost all cases the dwarves look better...but really don't like the sawn-off axe in Bifur's forehead - had hoped it had been photoshopped into the posed photo for a joke...
Old 07-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #236
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

At least they seem to be having fun on the set.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #237
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That video-blog was great. I did enjoy seeing them on set, and they looked better than in the pictures.

-- Foley
Old 07-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #238
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Baruk Klingon

Is it just me or does Thorin look like Gowron, the Klingon chancellor with the big scary eyes?
Old 07-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #239
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Qapla'!

It's not just you. This face screams for some forehead make-up.

EDIT: Also, couldn't resist:

Last edited by Pitchwife; 07-27-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Pitchwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #240
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I found more pictures:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/mediaindex

This one is the most interesting, as it features all 13 Dwarves:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm107462400/tt0903624

Edit: I just realised that a few pictures have already been posted on this thread.