The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2003, 08:37 PM   #1
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril Khamul the Nazgul?

Out of sheer curiosity, I wondered: is there much biographical pre-wraith information on Khamul? I know that he was called the 'Black Easterling/Numenorean' (I'm not completely sure which) during his "life," but is there any record of what happened in that life in any of Tolkien's works? (There's also a similar topic here)

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 09:17 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Ring

I don't think there's much (read: any) information on the "living" men who became Ringwraiths, beyond "they were once kings of men".
Old 01-17-2003, 10:17 PM   #3
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

None at all. He is mysterious.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:54 PM   #4
Gil-numen
Animated Skeleton

Gil-numen has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

He came from somewhere between the Seas of Ringil and Helcar. His name before was Komul, but became Khamul in the manner of the black speech.

----------------------

"What hast thou done ?"
-Iluvatar to Aule
Gil-numen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:14 AM   #5
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Source?
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:36 AM   #6
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 11:48 AM   #7
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Gil-numen, did you get that from one of those websites that presents speculation about the origins of characters based on the movies? For the record, most of those sites are wrong. People come up with histories for characters for RPGs, fan fics, etc., ergo, they aren't canon.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 12:27 PM   #8
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

much like the rest of nine. There are only two that we existed Himmuarath and Er-murazor. Khamul the Easterling was just a made up name for all we know. I have heard of some guy say one of the nine was named Ren the Unclean. What a bunch of bs.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:31 PM   #9
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

I'm afraid that you have that a little backwards.

Khamul was the only name for a Nazgul that Tolkien gave us.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:33 PM   #10
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Please don't tell me that you got the names "Himmuarath" and "Er-Murazor" from the LotR Trading Cards. They just came up with names for all the unnamed extras without consulting Tolkien at all. The same can be applied to the Elves at Helm's Deep. Even though they weren't supposed to be there in the first place, none of them were still supposed to be officially named, except maybe Haldir. They are most likely bogus Elvish-sounding names. I strongly recommend that you stop getting information from non-canon websites like that.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:34 PM December 14, 2003: Message edited by: Finwe ]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 01:04 PM   #11
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You are right, im sorry. I did confuse that up. My bad. And no, i have not read the trading card game. They have one for LoTR really?
Old 12-15-2003, 02:50 AM   #12
Eurytus
Wight

Eurytus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All those names for the Nazgul have their origins in the ICE Middle Earth Role Playing Game (MERP). They were included in several of the game modules and were also presented in one of the books that contained the statistics for all the major men in Middle Earth (both those created by Tolkien and ones created for the role playing game).
Khamul apart they were all invention and even he was apart from the name alone.

Lionel Hutz
Eurytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 12:22 AM   #13
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dūm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'll tell you all I know about Khamul, based on the entire Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and the Unfinished Tales.

Khamul was second in command to the Witch-King, and was an easterling while the W-K was a Black Numenorean. That means that either Khamul was an extremely powerful sorceror from the east, or the ruler of a massive kingdom, because it's been stated that the Black Numenoreans wielded great power and status.

As far as information about Khamul in the Trilogy, the Unfinished Tales give him the role of the first Nazgul met in the Fellowship, the one who journeyed west of the Baranduin and questioned the Gaffer, Maggot, and who chased Frodo, Pippin and Sam. He can be quoted with the lines that make up my signature. His importance in the trilogy then, besides being the Witch-King's "number two". . . he was looking for Baggins.

It's widely believed that Khamul was the "Keeper of Dol Goldur", as the Decipher Ulaire Attea card refers to "Nazgul number one" under the Witch-King, which would be him if it had followed the text and not the movies.

Khamul would have at one point been one of the Nazgul tasked with going into the east and 'recruiting' fell eastern armies as servants to the Dark Lord Sauron, along with all the other eastern wraithes.

No doubt, since the wise speculated a Nazgul was still running Dol Goldur at one point, it was likely they thought it was him who was 'polluting' Mirkwood and making it not so nice, before Gandalf went on his stealth run and discovered that Sauron in fact had returned.

When the Witch-King was eliminated, Khamul didn't take over his armies, he went with the other Nazgul on their flights, terrorizing from high above and spreading fear, instead of personally leading ground troops like the somewhat cocky Morgul-lord had done.

Maybe he didn't want some warrior-maiden to spring up and do him in as well.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 05:08 AM   #14
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

There is an interesting article about this subject HERE.

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote