The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2004, 11:11 AM   #1
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots I just want to see the sailboat!

As much as I'd like to offer a fascinating new insight into the decision-making processes of the filmmaking team, I am instead going to offer a place for you to give your thoughts on little, random unimportant parts of the trilogy as a whole. Namely, those things that didn't feel quite right to you.

No doubt some people will want to lecture me on why I should just stop nitpicking, and those people are probably the most sensible among us. However, there is one part in the film which I have never been able to truly accept and it is driving me up the wall with madness. It is a prop, which features in a very important scene in the final film. That prop is...The Phial of Galadriel.

I cannot watch the scene in Shelob's lair without thinking "What is Frodo holding?" That's not a mighty Elven weapon against evil, that's the ornament that's sitting in my living room right now! When I think about it logically I cannot see the problem. After all, what else were the filmmakers going to do? Indeed, what was Tolkien's vision of this? I can't explain it but it just seems so wrong to me. I cannot see it.

This is my problem. I'm sure that at least some of you out there have ridiculous problems with the films. If not, then perhaps you'd like to help me out and offer some sound psychological advice to me.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:18 AM   #2
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Perhaps not so entirely important but Sam doesnt leave in Bag End...yes the Phial was wrong dont know why but it was...

Last edited by Morsul the Dark; 08-13-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 12:42 PM   #3
Sandro
Pile O'Bones

Sandro has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The whole cloak thing. It wasn't wxplained in the theatrical FOTR what they did, so a lot of people were confused when Sam and Frodo hid under it in TTT. I must have explained that to about 20 people.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:45 PM   #4
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Edoras didnt seem as grand(even if it was corrupted) as I thought i should have been I thought Edoras being the main city of Rohan would be bigger
Old 08-13-2004, 03:33 PM   #5
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Ah good point Morsul. I had not previously been conscious of my conflicting image of Edoras when watching the movie but now that you mention it, it doesn't seem to fit either. It looked a bit like one nice big building and a couple of farm cottages around it. I had imagined a grander arena. Let that take away nothing from the background setting however, as those mountains and countryside were just about perfect.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:39 PM   #6
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Ah good point Morsul. I had not previously been conscious of my conflicting image of Edoras when watching the movie but now that you mention it, it doesn't seem to fit either. It looked a bit like one nice big building and a couple of farm cottages around it. I had imagined a grander arena. Let that take away nothing from the background setting however, as those mountains and countryside were just about perfect.
Agreed, though I'd like to think it was sufficient enough given the budget for all the structures etc. But that's just my sensible side. I still dream of a grander Edoras.
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:19 PM   #7
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
White Tree

I won't spend time defending why I liked the movie...although I would if you posted your disappointments in the post from a while back, "Everything wrong with LotR (Not ee)" or something like that.

Inkling, love your signature.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:21 PM   #8
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Gollum didn't quite feel right at many points during RotK. Rather, I should say that he didn't look quite right. Sometimes his face seemed to have changed from the Gollum I saw in TTT into a more Andy Serkis-like face in RotK. Some of his expressions just didn't seem to fit right the 1st time I saw it, though that might be just me.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:02 PM   #9
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

gollum was alright i think in fact he was awesome

the orc head on the stake when the three hunters go to the orc pile..its tounge is sticking out and looks entirely A) fake and B) comicalI thought an orc helm would have been more symbolic and less comcal (symbollic of the ineffectiveness of armor against the rohirim
Old 08-14-2004, 12:44 AM   #10
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
The Phial didn't bother me, but the whole cloak dissapearing thing didn't make sense at all in the film. They didn't (if I remember correctly) explain at all what the cloak did. So if you were not at all famillar with the books, you would have been completely lost.

I too also thought that Edoras should have been grander, Gondor should have been bigger, the Plennor Fields should have been larger, the Grey Havens were not right, and... oh... I could go on and on for hours
Old 08-14-2004, 01:35 PM   #11
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Perhaps I should reiterate. This thread is not designed for flaws and mistakes in the films. It is for things that just didn't feel right to you. The Phial example for me, and several others posted are not flaws as such, rather things which make you uneasy and a bit strange, regardless of any convincing argument as to why.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:15 PM   #12
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

One thing that bugged me was the way the Witch-King died. He sort of reminded me of a chicken, but other than that it was fine from a logical standpoint. It still bothers me...
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 06:43 PM   #13
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Perhaps I should reiterate. This thread is not designed for flaws and mistakes in the films. It is for things that just didn't feel right to you
Well those are things that don't feel right to me

I don't find them to be flawed, it is just that I wish they would have done it differently. Like for example the Grey Havens were beautiful, but they just didn't seem right in my opinion
Old 08-15-2004, 11:10 AM   #14
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Please Gorwingel, take no offence. The comment was not aimed at you.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:08 AM   #15
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I must say that I, too, expected more from the Grey Havens. They kind of worked, and were really beautiful, but I think I imagined them broader and sunnier, more like a vast seaport city. They just seemed so small compared to what I was expecting.

But then, so was all of Mordor. I realize why Peter Jackson filmed it the way he did, the focus needing to shift from the Black Tower to Mount Doom to the Black Gate etc., but it still seemed at times that you could fit the whole country into my backyard.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:49 AM   #16
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
the orc head on the stake when the three hunters go to the orc pile
I think that was because PJ always has to have *something* being impaled in his movies. It's like his trademark.

I would have to watch all the movies again to point out things I was uneasy about, as I can't think of anything at the moment. Some people, though, *coughmydadcough* could post a list a mile long with what bothered them about the films.

Eomer, I would love to know what you did picture the Phial being like. I always pictured a bottle shaped like a lightbulb, but... *sheepish grin*

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 08-16-2004, 06:50 PM   #17
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The white orcs...not sure why I assume orcs could be purple for all i know but for the first two movies throughout the books I pictured dark sinister creatures the orcs in ROTK threw me off I was like woag white orcs

Last edited by Morsul the Dark; 08-16-2004 at 06:54 PM.
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:52 PM   #18
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
... that's the ornament that's sitting in my living room right now!
Yes, but haven't you sometimes wondered why your living room is so blissfully free of elephant-sized spiders?
Old 08-16-2004, 08:28 PM   #19
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

The sailboat, eh, Eomer? I thought that felt a bit odd... always did think there should have been a nice modern-day sailboat floating down the Anduin. And I HAD always wondered why my house lacked oversized arachnids... The small ones we have aplenty (they abound in old houses), but Shelob sized? God bless my various vials.

Honestly though, I don't much like Galadriel's phial either. I have no idea why, as I didn't really have much of a mental image to contrast it with. It's not wrong exactly... just not right.

Another thing that didn't feel quite right to me was the staircase up to Celeborn and Galadriel's in Lothlorien. I'd always seen it as more of an elaborately carved ladder, with many wellplaced rest stops, not a big spiral staircase. It just tweaks a nerve every time I see it, as pretty and logical as it is.

Fea
Old 08-16-2004, 08:58 PM   #20
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
Another thing that didn't feel quite right to me was the staircase up to Celeborn and Galadriel's in Lothlorien. I'd always seen it as more of an elaborately carved ladder, with many wellplaced rest stops, not a big spiral staircase. It just tweaks a nerve every time I see it, as pretty and logical as it is.
It reminds me to much of the Ewok's many spiral staircases in Star Wars...

I've got one foot on each side of the line on the phial issue. While I thought it was a little wierd/iffy feeling at first, I quickly warmed up to it & now it's pretty close to just fine for me. Or at least until the elephant-sized spiders come back .
Old 08-17-2004, 07:52 AM   #21
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Sapphire_Flame, that is my problem! I have no idea what I think the Phial should look like. All I know is that the Phial in the film makes me uneasy, and I can't understand why.

Saucepan, your suggestion certainly seems to make sense. We did have one elephant-sized spider on our staircase once, but it made a point of never venturing into the living room.

Fea, (and everyone else interested), there are bonus points for whoever guesses the film from which the title of this thread was taken.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:35 PM   #22
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ill wager its something from Monty Python...

perhaps MP and the Meaning of Life?
Old 08-17-2004, 07:15 PM   #23
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

Quote:
Fea, (and everyone else interested), there are bonus points for whoever guesses the film from which the title of this thread was taken.
Ooh, bonus points. All right, Eomer. You strike me as the type of guy who would steal an idea from... [que the music: duhn duhn duhn]... Mallrats. How's my accuracy? Right? Wrong? Do I belong in an asylum with a big strong guard named Biff?

Fea
Old 08-17-2004, 07:26 PM   #24
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
All I know is that the Phial in the film makes me uneasy, and I can't understand why.
Uneasy? Maybe you have spider-blood. Don't worry, I know where you're coming from, Eomer. The phial didn't feel right to me either. Actually, the size was fine except I thought it was too small. But that's just me.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:56 AM   #25
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Regarding the Phial, it's heartening to know that I'm not alone.

Fea, you are right, and you are now the recipient of bonus points awarded by me. Well done!

It was indeed Mallrats (the only Kevin Smith film I like, by the way).
Old 08-18-2004, 11:53 AM   #26
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
*mumbles*

the ships weren't as shiply as I expected...
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:05 PM   #27
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Why is it every time i see the Deagal/Smeagal scene I cringe? Oh right, because Smeagal uses a worm that is so utterly small on a rather large hook, the worm doesnt even look like it fits. Not sure if i consider this a blooper, but i bugs me
Old 08-18-2004, 04:07 PM   #28
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Quote:
Fea, you are right, and you are now the recipient of bonus points awarded by me. Well done!

It was indeed Mallrats (the only Kevin Smith film I like, by the way).
YES!!! I just LOOOOOOVE getting bonus points. As for the last bit of your quote... no Dogma?

Another thing that tweaks my "right" nerve is... Haldir. I can't stand him in the movies, and I have no plausible reason to dislike him. The acting was great, the costuming, everything... I have no good reason. I just don't like Haldir. He's not... right. He's not wrong, just not right.

Fea
Old 08-18-2004, 06:40 PM   #29
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
I have no good reason. I just don't like Haldir.
I'll agree with you on that one. There was absolutely no reason not to like him, but I just didn't like him in the films!

Quote:
The white orcs...
That really, really annoyed me. It was too much of a contrast from what was shown in the first two films. Plus there is the e-vile continuity to look at. I mean, come on: the dark lord, the dark tower, the dark land... and the albino orcs?

(I may get *ARROWED!* for saying this...) I didn't really like Legolas in the movies. Maybe it's his "Captain Obvious" moments, or the drastic change of character, but I wasn't too fond of his portrayal. The image I had was of a slightly sarcastic, smart-alecky elf, joking about bringing the sun down to melt the snow on Caradhras and waving at the two snow-bound men as he jogs off over the snow. MovieLegolas was... a bit flat, really. *shrugs*

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 08-18-2004, 07:04 PM   #30
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
(I may get *ARROWED!* for saying this...) I didn't really like Legolas in the movies. Maybe it's his "Captain Obvious" moments, or the drastic change of character, but I wasn't too fond of his portrayal. The image I had was of a slightly sarcastic, smart-alecky elf, joking about bringing the sun down to melt the snow on Caradhras and waving at the two snow-bound men as he jogs off over the snow. MovieLegolas was... a bit flat, really. *shrugs*
*jumps in front of the arrows aimed Saphy's way* I agree with you on that. His portrayal wasn't necessarilly bad, but it was completely different (to me) than book Legolas.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:55 AM   #31
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Question

I really liked the idea of Sauron's eye acting like a red spot light (more like a pen light suited to his scale...), but everytime I think about it now, it seems edgy.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 03:10 AM   #32
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

I've been trying to place the Phial for a while now. I know I'd seen it before, but something on this thread to do with living rooms prompted me to remember. A few years back I recieved a bottle of extremely unpleasant, and probably cheap, perfume.

I won't get into the particulars, but I have never worn perfume for the entire duration of my life, and I think I threw it away.

But my point is that the perfume I recieved was in the Phial of Galadriel. It smelled then, and it bothers me now.

Quote:
The image I had was of a slightly sarcastic, smart-alecky elf, joking about bringing the sun down to melt the snow on Caradhras and waving at the two snow-bound men as he jogs off over the snow.
Sarcasm being my life-blood, I liked Legolas immensly for his snarkish ways, but he was, as you said, Saphy, flattened in the movie.

Was anyone else bothered by the Gondorian Armor? I know I was, and with absolutely no plausable reason why.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 08:35 AM   #33
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
I didn't really like Legolas in the movies. Maybe it's his "Captain Obvious" moments, or the drastic change of character, but I wasn't too fond of his portrayal. The image I had was of a slightly sarcastic, smart-alecky elf, joking about bringing the sun down to melt the snow on Caradhras and waving at the two snow-bound men as he jogs off over the snow. MovieLegolas was... a bit flat, really. *shrugs*
Well, after coming to my senses and realizing that Orlando Bloom is an immense pansy, I decided movie-Legolas was dumb. His only purpose, as Sapphire_Flame says, is to be "Captain Obvious" and point out what kind of nasty creatures are coming, ie: Orcs! Goblins! Crebain from Dunland! And then shoot them whenever possible.

You really didn't get that much of the development in the Legolas/Gimli friendship. The EE is a little better, but not as well done as in the books. In the EE FotR DVD, there's that one scene when they're outside Moria, and Gandalf and Gimli are saying how Dwarf doors are invisible when shut and their own masters cannot find them if their secrets are forgotten, and Legolas mutters, "Why doesn't that surprise me?" Then a minute later, Gimli says,

Quote:
Soon Master Elf, you will enjoy the fabled hospitality of the dwarves! Roaring fires, malt beer, red meat off the bone! This, my friend, is the home of my cousin Balin. And they call it a mine. A MINE!
He could of course be using "my friend" in a sarcastic manner, but it doesn't sound like it. Then after the gift-giving scene, they have a nice friendly little moment with Leggy asking Gimli what his gift was. Very nice, but you're mostly left to figure out for yourself how the animosity ended and when the friendship began. The book talks about how Legolas would go off into the woods in Lothlorien and take Gimli with him, much to the surprise of the rest of the Fellowship, but since in movie-world they're only in Lorien for the night, you kind of lose all that.

As for the Gondorian armor, I loved it. I thought it was beautiful, and I loved the Tree done in relief on the front. What I think is just dumb is this:

He looks like a strong wind could send him flying at any moment! Silly winged helmets.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 04:52 AM   #34
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I would have to agree on the Phial thing, just because it looks like a simple piece of glass actually, and not something very important. It just looks cheap.
But on the other hand, how were they supposed to do it differently?
Although I must say I don't feel that uneasy when seeing it.

What makes me uneasy, is Gandalf's staff, as they enter the Mines of Moria.
When he says: "Let's make some light" or something along those lines, and then the top of the staff starts glowing. It's a bit the same impression I have as with the Phial, it just looks cheap.

And, another little thing: The first time we see Sauron in FOTR, he stands there with his ring on his hand, and that looks like a scene from, well, the Power Rangers or something....
Old 08-23-2004, 07:35 AM   #35
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Cheers Mariska, I will never again be able to watch the Sauron scene without cringing.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:26 PM   #36
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
What makes me uneasy, is Gandalf's staff, as they enter the Mines of Moria. When he says: "Let's make some light" or something along those lines, and then the top of the staff starts glowing.
This bugged me for a while until I looked closer and realized that he actually fits a little crystal-like thing into the top of the staff, and this is where the light is coming from. Makes a little more sense to me that way.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:30 PM   #37
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ive never liked Orthanc...It was built by Gondorians just think it would be more Beatiful but then again maybe its because of the destruction surrounding it because with all the trees it looked kind of nce...I still think it was to pointy though for Gondorians.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:47 PM   #38
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Actually it was built by the Numenoreans... I suppose they're quite similar but maybe the Numenoreans have drastically different tastes in decor. Orthanc did look less evil with the pretty gardens and everything, though. The Numenoreans also built the Black Gates, I believe, but I think Sauron did that nasty corruption thing he does so often and so well and made them look more intimidating.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 08-23-2004, 02:50 PM   #39
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

yeah,,,numenorians thats what i meant I forgot if it was them or numnoreans..

Well the black gates would be built intimidating like yellow "do not Cross" police tape

But Orthanc was given to Saruman leader of the white council
Old 08-23-2004, 03:41 PM   #40
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
When he says: "Let's make some light" or something along those lines, and then the top of the staff starts glowing. It's a bit the same impression I have as with the Phial, it just looks cheap
It probably looks so cheap because the crystal on top looks like a little lightbulb or something .