The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2004, 07:18 PM   #721
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
My Christmas was most joyous when I opened my last gift - revealing a replica of Sting! Spiffy-ness!!! In addition to that - I have several of the bookmarks, all the movies, the trilogy + Sim. in paperback, Monopoly, Checkers/Tic-tac-toe, playing cards and plently of posters. I saw the coolest thing (I'm weird) at Media Play and had to grab one. Lord of the Rings Legos! Yikes - I'd share a picture but I can't get it to upload...

Quote:
I have asked for an LOTR Page-A-Day "Trilogy Edition" calendar for Christmas.
I really want that as well... I need to go hunting for a calander tomorrow...

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:39 PM   #722
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Thumbs up

That's perfectly all right, I wouldn't mind having the LOTR legos, so I'm weird, too.

Hey, like your avatar !

Hope you can find a calendar !
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 03:36 PM   #723
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots

Quote:
I really want that as well... I need to go hunting for a calander tomorrow...
Good luck, I tried shopping for the same item last year around the same time, and it was on backorder even on the internet! I guess the "after christmas period." is the worst time to try buying anything LOTR related. I wish you good luck with your search though. Try www.borders.com or www.calendars.com (Hopefully the links work)

Speaking of shopping woes:
I recieved a TTT video from my brother and his wife for christmas. Unfortuneatly, already have one, so I exchanged it @ Target for a $5 gift card. All the games and toys pertaining to LOTR that I had seen Thanksgiving weekend were sold out! Oh well, I guess I'll try shopping at target.com
Old 01-06-2005, 03:32 PM   #724
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

I feel a little foolish at my age for having barbies, but yeah I got the Galadriel barbie for christmas! She's simply beautiful and well displayed which is good because I don't like taking my figures out of the package.
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 05:29 PM   #725
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up

You shouldn't. I know people in their 60's and 70's who collect Barbies. Heck, I'm 34 and I collect Teddy Bears, and there are people who are far older than me who do as well. Both are highly collectible.

I have only seen pics of the Galadriel Barbie, but she is beautiful. Don't care much for the Ken as Legolas--the body proportion's not quite right for and Elf.

Nothing on my collection front except for more TCG cards. I am filtering through them to "weed out" (if you follow me) all of the Orcs, places, weapons, etc. to sell on ebay if I can. I try to collect mostly characters, 'specially Hobbits and ESPECIALLY SAM !

Come to think of it, I am trying to find a bear for my collection that strikes me just right to name "Sam"...haven't been able to find one, yet.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 01-06-2005, 07:07 PM   #726
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Random Titles and...BABIES?!?

Quote:
Come to think of it, I am trying to find a bear for my collection that strikes me just right to name "Sam"...haven't been able to find one, yet.
I hope you find "him!" And congratulations with the nephew! (I know this is kinda late, but my other post was getting a tad long....) Three months ago I added a 3rd nephew to my collection, too bad he has pnuemonia right now.

Anyway, no Frodo pics on my day calendar yet, though I did get a precious one of Merry and a Legolas one that I gave to an obsessed friend.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:47 PM   #727
Enorëiel
Wight

I had no luck with finding any calenders in stores. Thanks for the links though Morai - I just need to get my paycheck and maybe I can finally get a calender. By the way, did you get your daily calender in stores?

Old 01-13-2005, 10:10 PM   #728
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Obscure uses for Random Titles...like this

Quote:
I had no luck with finding any calenders in stores. Thanks for the links though Morai - I just need to get my paycheck and maybe I can finally get a calender. By the way, did you get your daily calender in stores?
Yep, my mom bought it for me @ Target the day after Thanksgiving. (While I was at a nearby store.) I wish you even more luck on finding one. I did find a picture of Frodo AND Sam from ROTK a few days ago, it made me happy.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:12 AM   #729
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up

I still have my wall calendar from 2004 on the wall--next to my Sting, where it was all last year. I have it open to May, where the pic is a close up of Frodo and Sam.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:40 AM   #730
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Don't know if anyone's linked to these, but they're still available &, as well as being a good investment, they're very nice:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/s...&product=AS143

&

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/s...&product=AQ959
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:14 AM   #731
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up Re: Stamps

OOOOOO.
Very nice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CLICK if you dare!
Old 01-30-2005, 01:38 AM   #732
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I know it's been a long time, but since the last time I posted here I have been very fortunate to receive the lovely Galadriel Barbie (oh, she is so beautiful, the hair, and the dress is just perfect), the LOTR daily calendar (another must, I do hope they have one next year because I just can't imagine my desk without it), and the Elven frame from the Noble Collection (which was a great surprise, it was something that I just got, but it is quite beautiful, though I haven't been able to find a picture that suits it)

I am extremely selective about what LOTR things that I buy, but I do think that I will consider purchasing Eowyn's sword when it finally comes out
Old 01-30-2005, 03:27 PM   #733
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up

Quote:
LOTR daily calendar (another must, I do hope they have one next year because I just can't imagine my desk without it)
I am keeping all of the pictures (save maybe Nazgul and Orcs and the like). I have found that those pages fit very nicely in Polaroid-sized photo pages.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:38 PM   #734
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Random Title #349

Quote:
I am keeping all of the pictures (save maybe Nazgul and Orcs and the like). I have found that those pages fit very nicely in Polaroid-sized photo pages.
Good idea! Though I'm still thinking of taking most of the ones I like and posting them on one of the walls in my room. (Most likely the one with the most space left.)
Old 01-30-2005, 07:44 PM   #735
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
For Christmas I received Grima and Saruman Lego men from a good friend who knows well of my fangirlish tendencies! So now little Grima is my muse, and I swear, he works. Occasionally Saruman has to whack him with his staff, because otherwise Grima wouldn't be so bitter... and that means less angst, which makes Enca an unhappy writer.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:16 PM   #736
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Oh, I keep all the photos too
Just because they are so wonderfully clear, and also because I guess I could use them for some LOTR related craft project... if I suddenly became creative
Old 02-01-2005, 04:39 PM   #737
Enorëiel
Wight

Quote:
but I do think that I will consider purchasing Eowyn's sword when it finally comes out
I'm with you all the way there! Theoden's sword is out but *sigh* I'm really awaiting Eowyn's.

Happiness! I finally got my LOTR calenders. I had to go through the official store but I have them - the desk and the wall. And I must say... it was well worth the wait.

Quote:
That's a really good idea. I'm saving many of them but I had no clue what I was going to do with them all

Old 02-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #738
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tolkien Talking of calendars ...

The Tolkien 50th Anniversary Calendar is wonderful - it features illustrations by the Professor himself.

Today I moved from Old Man Willow to his vision of Rivendell.

Last year, I had the RotK calendar. Which was nice. But I much prefer this one.

Fittingly, it sits above my monitor as I browse the Downs.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:50 AM   #739
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I finally found an online image of the RotK puzzle I have - and have put together. Here it is: RotK 1000-piece round puzzle

Now I have found what is said to be a limited edition trilogy puzzle set (3 puzzles), including that one and one each for FotR and TTT. It's in a round metal box, very classy, making it look like a great collectible. !t was offered by a book club to which a friend belongs; she told me about it and ordered it for me. I found a picture of the box here: Trilogy puzzle
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:58 AM   #740
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up Oooh.

Seen the round puzzle before. Think for myself I would like the TTT one best...'cause it features my Sam.

er....round one? I meant the FOTR one....
Old 03-13-2005, 06:23 AM   #741
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Jealousy

Where do you people live that you are able to find such wonderful things!?! If it is not UK based then can you give me some shop names so I can try to find the websites?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:31 AM   #742
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I live in Germany, which is where the game and puzzle company Ravensburger is located, so I might be able to get the puzzles more easily here. However, toy shops and shops specializing in comics and fan articles should be good sources for some things. In London, 'Forbidden Planet' has lots of stuff! And of course you can search the web - there are plenty of things being sold at E-Bay.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 03-15-2005, 08:57 PM   #743
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up

I'm in the western US. Some wonderful things that I've gotten (aside from ebay, which has been mentioned) is sideshowtoy.com
Old 03-16-2005, 03:26 AM   #744
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Samwise, that site has some wonderful things on it. I was taken with the Bilbo statue, which is unfortunately now 'retired'. Maybe I will look on e-bay for it. I've lately found I like the Weta collectibles, but they are considerably more expensive than the action figures - my whole collection of these would probably only buy a handful of Weta items! But I do have these Bag End bookends which davem bought for me. I'm not sure he likes them, but he knew I'd love them!

In the UK, Toys R Us is actually a good place to get action figures, as they are at half the price they sell for in Forbidden Planet, and if you're lucky you can get the rare ones. They also sell things like puzzles and board games. E-bay of course is the best place to go, not only for the film collectibles but for nice old editions of the books, and all kinds of ephemera. But always make sure to stick to a limit on what you'll pay!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:23 AM   #745
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Those bookends are lovely, Lal! What a nice present! (Pssst, careful if he wants to give you a 'unique', one-only ring... )
Old 03-16-2005, 09:11 AM   #746
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
these Bag End bookends which davem bought for me. I'm not sure he likes them, but he knew I'd love them!

They're my favorite 3D LOTR item-- except MAYBE the Minas Tirith model. One of the se days I should post another picture, but first I have to clean and organize the bookshelf-- which means, now, that part of the collection must migrate to ANOTHER set of shelves... Perhaps I'll put my boxed-trilogy collection on a shelf all its' own...
Old 03-16-2005, 03:20 PM   #747
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up Lalwendë

My favorite peice is, of course, my 9-inch polystone Sam and Bill. Unfortunately, my choice of where to keep them probably wasn't the safest place, but my mother has plenty of paint.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:17 AM   #748
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I have over 350 Tolkien or related items, 112 of which are books. My favourite item though is Gimli`s Axe, man it is sooo heavy.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:16 AM   #749
Carnimírië
Wight

Carnimírië has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
The Tolkien 50th Anniversary Calendar is wonderful - it features illustrations by the Professor himself.
I have this calendar. I love Tolkien's style of artwork and I like how it marks the publication dates of Tolkien's books. I'll be keeping it when 2005 is over--to me it's a collectible.

Sister of The Elf Warrior
Carnimírië is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:21 AM   #750
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Quote:
My favourite item though is Gimli`s Axe, man it is sooo heavy.
Where do you keep that ?
Old 03-31-2005, 07:57 AM   #751
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
Things, Things, and more Things.

Around the house i have the most "junk" to everyone else, but my prize possession. Every time i go to the store I always take a stroll back through the toy section to take a look at the LotR action figures.
  1. I have the books about 4 times over including the Hobbit. 2 versions belong to my father and they are the old covers (My sister bought him some mintcondition (first edition if I'm not mistaken) which I hope to come by in my time to come.
  2. I have the complete set of the movies in Extended and not.
  3. I have all 3 soundtracks.
  4. I have Trivial Pursuit, Risk, and Monopoly (which is awesome)
  5. I have about 7 to 8 action figures, the box set including the Mouth of Sauron.
  6. For my birthday last year my sister played a joke and got me all the LotR party supplies possible, which i took to my room and added to my collection.
  7. I have a magazine that i got for buying the movie at BestBuy.
  8. I have all but the Hobbit goames for XBox, and all of them for GameBoy Advanced.
  9. I have a book mark with Legolas on it.
  10. I have a box from Anduril, becasue my friend who bought it was going to throw it away, so i brought it home.
  11. I have a few of the other books by Tolkien. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Book of Lost Tales 1, Farmer Giles of Ham, The Tolkien Reader, Unfinished Tales.
I hope to get the rest of the books eventually, but as of the moment I have no money and will be needing it in the near future. If I had money I would buy the Fighting Knives of Legolas first though. There are just so many things out there and not enough money. Does this annoy anyone else? If only I were rich. I would have no lack of LotR stuff.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:25 AM   #752
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up My latest item...

...I actually recieved as a complete surprise a week or so ago. A friend had mentioned that she "saw it" in the store some time ago, and "thought of me", never mentioning, of course, that she'd actually BOUGHT it!

Anyway, imagine my surprise to get a package I didn't expect, THEN to open it and find a copy of There and Back Again, An Actor's Tale , by Sean Astin!

Haven't had much chance to read it yet, but I will.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:30 PM   #753
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Random Title Fund

Quote:
I hope to get the rest of the books eventually, but as of the moment I have no money and will be needing it in the near future. If I had money I would buy the Fighting Knives of Legolas first though. There are just so many things out there and not enough money. Does this annoy anyone else? If only I were rich. I would have no lack of LotR stuff.
It annoys me at least. It would be nice to have some LOTR related weapons, like a Sting to hang on my wall somewheres....
Old 06-24-2005, 10:57 PM   #754
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Slight rant.

We haven't heard from Samwise in a while. I had to scramble over to the second page to find and retrieve this collectibles thread.

This topic isn't exactly appropriate for Mirth, but I didn't know where else to put it. (I don't think crying is allowed in this Forum so please excuse if I shed a gentle tear.) This evening I saw a collectible on e-bay that was so extraordinary I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. For a mere $15,000 you can purchase a detailed eight page letter from Tolkien written in 1947 to another professor at Oxford in which JRRT discusses languages and their relation to society. Click here for ebay listing.

The letter is typescript and single spaced and seems to be packed with annotations in Tolkien's own hand. The snippet that they quote from this gem seems intriguing in that it shows Tolkien as being more sympathetic to change than sometimes thought, at least in the sphere of linguistic development.

Quote:
I always reply that I have no concern with 'correctness' not as an adjudicater or arbiter, which I am not: though, of course, I am interested in the idea of correctness, which is an important and interesting phenomenon in itself. And my advice is always do as you please! Then, if you happen to be in the coming fashion, or can make it, you will become 'correct'. If not, not. And this reply seems as a rule to be sufficiently novel, even startling, to maintain my reputation for wisdom. For the idea that there is somewhere deposited a correct answer on all linguistic questions or divergences that somebody knows (if he can be induced to speak) seems deeply implanted. If the King no longer controls English, then there must be a Cabinet that does. And many people do me the unwarranted honour of supposing that I must be a member. I am not. I am a linguistic historian, of scientific outlook... and a poet.... '
My frustration is twofold. First, I do not have a spare $15,000 to purchase this letter. If I did, I would buy it and donate it to the collection at Marquette or another suitable repository. That brings me to my second frustration. I am an avid collector of many things Tolkien, but there are some collectibles so marvelous and unique that they simply should not be in private hands. ( I would, of course, exclude personal material that remains in the hands of the author's own kin who may choose or not to release such items. As a letter sent to another academic, however, this particular item does not fall into this group.)

This letter may be snarfed up by a well-to-do private collector and that is the last we will ever see of it, never to know what is on those other seven pages. Or, if we are lucky, it will be purchased by a dealer in rare books and manuscripts and will ultimately be resold in a larger venue and perhaps eventually make its way to a library or other public collection.

I guess what I am saying is that something like this belongs in a "mathom house" where anyone can come and read it instead of tucked away in someone's bureau or safety deposit box. The Baggins family obviously understood this when their mithril coat was donated to the local mathom house.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 06-24-2005 at 11:03 PM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 04:49 AM   #755
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Child, if you're interested, you can click on the photo and read the first page.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:29 AM   #756
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Oh, my....

Per Miss Child's statements regarding Prof. Tolkien's work:
How very true, Child.

My most recent collectible was a book snd to me by a friend. It was

A Hobbit's Travels: being the hitherto unpublished Travel Sketches of Sam Gamgee ~with space for notes~

I fully intend to use it someday, as I am a journalizer (is that a word? Well, if you follow me....)
Old 06-25-2005, 05:13 PM   #757
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
About a month ago, my husband came home and gave me Gollum. The 'official' movie action figures from RotK. It was the Gollum that is standing on a big rock. There's a button on the rock when pushed he says two phrases. This was really sweet because he (husband) does not share my love of LotR and all things Tolkien.

Today, I got the 'ArtAsylum minimates', they look like Lego figures. The box I bought has Frodo, Gandalf, and Gollum. The other box has Saruman, Aragorn, and Legolas. Each box has a hidden figure inside! You'll have to P.M. me for the secret.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:15 AM   #758
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Question Do tell !

Quote:
Today, I got the 'ArtAsylum minimates',
I can't say as I've ever heard of them. Is there a picture somewhere?
Old 06-26-2005, 11:02 AM   #759
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Hope this helps....here.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:13 PM   #760
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Child, if you're interested, you can click on the photo and read the first page.
You can believe I did that!

The frustrating thing is that they originally had a number of photos up showing the content of the various pages. Before I could get back to reading them, they had been erased from e-bay.

I occasionally post on another "collectibles" site and the resident expert there (a book dealer from England) managed to get copies of those pages before they were taken down, and has offered to share them with others. So I just may drop him a pm.