The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-12-2003, 09:20 AM   #1
Bunko

Sting The Paths of the Dead

I have looked on the search menu and the encyclopedia but cant find anything that explains properly the paths of the dead, i have read ROTK a couple of times and still dont really understand what they are.

Can anyone explain please?

Cheers [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2003, 10:30 AM   #2
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

From The Encyclopedia of Arda:

Paths of the Dead
The haunted caverns beneath the Ered Nimrais
A subterranean realm beneath the White Mountains above the valley of the River Morthond. The dwelling place through the Third Age of the Dead, Men cursed by Isildur for breaking their oath of fealty to him, and made to remain in Middle-earth until his rightful heir was to call for their aid.

The Dead
The cursed Men of the White Mountains
The Men of the White Mountains at the end of the Second Age who swore an oath of allegiance to Isildur. Breaking it, they were cursed to walk the Paths of the Dead until they could redeem themselves, which they did more than three thousand years later when they followed Isildur's descendant Aragorn in the War of the Ring.

Hope that helps.
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 02:45 AM   #3
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

There are many things in Tolkien's books that are not fully explained and quite rightly so.

In our own world there are many ancient sites and artifacts that remain a mystery. They are the inspiration behind much interesting literature.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 06:05 AM   #4
Mustardseed

Question

I'm continuing the topic of the paths of the dead with a new question:
Who's the skeleton they find in there? Does it say somewhere?

[ June 10, 2003: Message edited by: Mustardseed ]
Old 06-10-2003, 08:12 AM   #5
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Baldor, son of Brego. Brego was the son of Eorl, the founder/original King of Rohan. Baldor was told that the Paths of the Dead were not open for him, but he tried to go through anyway. As a result, his younger brother Aldor became the Third King of Rohan.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:47 PM   #6
Corwyn Celesil
Haunting Spirit

Corwyn Celesil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The Paths of the Dead are the result of a broken promise and a curse, described in "The Passing of the Grey Company" in RotK. The lovely thing about fantasy and "Faerie," as Tolkien loved to call it, is that the writer can make anything happen that he desires, and so here it seems perfectly straightforward that the curse Isildur laid on the King and the Men of the Mountains when they broke their solemn vow should result in their being trapped, as it were, in waiting to fulfill their vow before going to wherever Men go at death. I think Tolkien believed firmly in right and wrong, cause and effect, and when the Men broke their promise, there was a far-reaching effect. I don't know whether this helps you at all; I am mostly rambling in my own thoughts. I cannot wait for this scene in the upcoming movie.
Then came there from the south of the city the people of the Fountain, and Ecthelion was their lord, and silver and diamonds were their delight; and swords very long and bright and pale did they wield . . .
Corwyn Celesil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 12:50 PM   #7
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I know, neither can I! I think that the Paths of the Dead were also meant to prevent all those with the vice of the original "Cursed Ones" from entering. Baldor, son of Brego made the vow that he would enter the Paths out of arrogance and drunkenness. The original folk there, who had been cursed by Isildur, refused to help him through arrogance and desire to remain under the domination of Sauron. Thus, the Paths of the Dead protected against the vice that had created it.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 02:44 PM   #8
Mustardseed

Thumbs up

Cheer, guys. A friend and I started discussing the matter, and since I'm in the middle of moving my books weren't readily available to me...