The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2006, 04:04 PM   #201
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
You can't beat huuuman natuuure...
Old 03-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #202
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Firefoot, the illogicality and prejudice of the phantom's position (that the Noldor are wonderful and superior and should not be touched -oh, except Galadriel, of course 'cos she's a girlie - while most of the rest can go and hang) is frankly not worth responding to.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #203
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
++Glorfindel
Right, so he was in the Second Age, but what did he do?
________
Mercedes-Benz W221 History

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #204
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
++Fimbrethil

Even less of a character than Fuinur. She's mentioned once or twice in The Two Towers, and now she gets her own spot in Second Age Survivor. She's just a filler for the Other Speakers category. And all she did was to provide Treebeard with something to sing about hundreds of years after she left. Not much of a role if you ask me.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #205
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
I will never vote someone off for being too good, too strong, too powerful, or too awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
So what's your problem with Galadriel, hmm?
Oh, sheesh, you don't want me to get started. When I feel it is time to attack her, I will fully explain my reasons.

For now, let me just say that Elrond never gave himself too much credit, you never got the sense that he wanted his subjects to worship him, and most Tolkien fans don't give him too much credit (they usually give him too little). Galadriel on the other hand.....

Now, Firefoot, you are seriously trying to make a case for Ohtar? Saving sword shards does not vault a character into the big leagues. It is absolutely silly that you are even pretending to believe he should not be voted out sometime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Sometimes the underdogs deserve a chance to let themselves show their mettle
The underdogs had their whole lives to show their mettle, and guess what? The amount of mettle they showed was not sufficient to lift them above underdog position.

They are underdogs for a reason.
Quote:
I don't have a grudge against them (Noldor and Kings), but they aren't the only ones who should receive credit.
I never said they were the only ones who should receive credit. I just think they are the only ones who deserve to finish the game at the top.
Quote:
It's like giving all the credit in a movie to the actors but never mentioning the people who made the sets, wrote the script, did the filming, etc.
Maybe so, but the big awards go to the leading actors. Right now, we're deciding who gets the big trophy. You can thank the little people after this game is over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy
the illogicality and prejudice of the phantom's position
Illogical? No. If you are unable to see my logic, it isn't because it does not exist- it is because you have too little wit to see it.

And prejudiced? No, I am not prejudiced- I am discriminating. There is a big difference. Discrimination is based on logic and leads to wise decisions. For instance, I discriminate against roads with construction zones and take other roads. I also discriminate against boiling water- I refuse to drink it if it is boiling.

But, of course, you probably are much too enlightened to make cold, cruel-hearted decisions like that. You probably feel sorry for the cup of boiling water that no one will drink, and so will set out to spill all the glasses of perfectly good water so that the scalding water will have a chance to be consumed.

Go ahead. In the meanwhile, smart people like me will try to convince other smart people that scalding water is not fit to be drunk, and that characters like Ohtar and Oropher are not fit to win Survivor.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:26 AM   #206
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hot cocoa is good.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:30 AM   #207
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Nay, Spawn; that particular game has passed us by. Do not suggest such lupine twists to my words.

Anyway, as I told our megalomaniacal dwarf, my agenda is very simple: Erendis must be eliminated. Elrond, Treebeard, and a bunch of others are worthy winners as far as I am concerned; but that is of secondary importance to me.

My task will be performed, and you cannot buy or barter with me—unless, of course, you are willing to crown Erendis the Queen of Survivor.

But I know you don't want that.

So continue this petty politicking if you wish; but I am astonished and, quite frankly, disgusted that some of you would equate the values of Glorfindel or whoever with that of Erendis, brat of Numenor.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #208
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
you never got the sense that he wanted his subjects to worship him,
so unlike the homelife of our own dear phantom...
Old 03-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #209
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
+ + Cirdan

An elf with a beard!
And he seems to be pretty useless in the Second Age.
Send him on vacation to Aman until the Third Age
(Cook's tour).
Old 03-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #210
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
The Sixth day of voting draws to an end, and despite the appearance of spirited debate, the voting came down heavily behind one candidate. The Noldor, it seems, were to be culled. The final distribution of votes is as follows:

Círdan: I

Erendis: II
Fimbrethil: II

Celeborn: III

Glorfindel: IIIII III

One the favourite "minor" characters in The Lord of the Rings, Glorfindel's popularity did not stretch to the Second Age. With an even half the votes, he was voted off.

Those remaining:

Tribe of the Noldor:
Ereinion Gil-galad,
Elrond Peredhil
Galadriel
Celebrimbor

Tribe of the Sindar:
Celeborn
Círdan
Orophir
Celebrían

Tribe of the Númenoreans:
Elros Tar-Minyatur
Erendis
Tar-Míriel

Tribe of the Elendili:
Amandil
Elendil
Isildur
Anárion
Ohtar

Tribe of the Other Speakers:
Narvi
Fangorn (Treebeard)
Fimbrethil

Tribe of the Baddies:
Sauron
The Witch-king
Khamûl

Day 7 is begun! Vote away!
Old 03-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #211
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I shall continue my mostly lone crusade.

Assert the rights of Children of Illuvatar over pompous, megalomaniac Ainur!

++SAURON

That out of the way, I'll be taking Elrond's advice and entering Eregion in the next episode of the Hunt for Amanda...
Old 03-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #212
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

++Ereinion Gil-galad
There has ben a slip-up. Shoiuldnt the elves be able to defend against Sauron? The Numenoreans had to clean up in Eriador, and thats just unlike the the elves, so why should an incompetent military leader hang around?
________
No2 Vaporizer

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #213
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I admire heroic military failures. I'm a Celt.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #214
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
++Ereinion Gil-galad

Why is there a Downer in this game? That's just not fair!!!
Old 03-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #215
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
++Celeborn

My reasons from above still hold, even if I couldn't save Glorfindel.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #216
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Oh, please, not another anti-Noldor band wagon.

Lay off the Gil-galad votes. He is not one of my favorites, but it is ridiculous to cast out the elf that was king for the entire age and helped overthrow Sauron.

For those interested in balance, the Elendili tribe has yet to lose a member. Ohtar seems like a good pick to me.

If you are intent on slaying an elf, do as I suggested yesterday and kill Oropher.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:01 PM   #217
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Actually, everyone, there's a way of annoying the phantom without voting for Gil-Galad (whom, you have to admit, you really rather like. Last whose realm was fair and free, and all that sort of thing. Face it.)

Notice that the phantom isn't following what would, apparently, be common sense and joining up with me.

Aren't you starting to get a suspicion he rather likes Sauron? All that stuff about the powerful going forward by right?

Now refer back to his first post. He forbids you to vote for Sauron till the late stages of the game.

By joining me therefore you:

A Defy the phantom in the exercise of existential freedom
B Avoid bringing down a pretty decent Elf out of spite, and regretting it afterwards
C If you're the Alliance, gain a measure of revenge
D If you're Eomer, gain my vote for Erendis tomorrow
E If you're in the League, prove you're not a sheep but...an individual!

Vote for the overrated Sauron!
Old 03-06-2006, 03:41 PM   #218
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

What have you been smoking, Anguirel?
Quote:
Notice that the phantom isn't following what would, apparently, be common sense and joining up with me.
Why in the world would it be common sense to join up with you?

Sauron has failed to attract much attention, except from you. Joining with you hardly seems to be a powerful option. Not to mention the fact that, in my very first post, I said that big baddies should be left alone for a while to make things more interesting in the end. In addition, you are trying to get people to annoy me.

So I ask again, why in the world would it be common sense for me to join you?
Quote:
By joining me therefore you defy the phantom in the exercise of existential freedom
I hardly see how not following my advice somehow equals being free. If someone is free, then they will read what others say and choose whether or not to listen to them. Someone who votes with me is every bit as free as someone who votes against me.

Not to mention the fact that you seem to be asking them to be free from me by becoming a slave to you.
Quote:
Avoid bringing down a pretty decent Elf
They don't have to follow you to avoid bringing down Gil-galad. They could follow Eomer, lmp, me, or anyone not voting for Gil.

Anguirel, you can choose to deny it, but I know exactly what you are doing. You are attempting to use the power of my name to aid your cause. Simply by bringing the phantom into something, it is pretty much a guarantee you will gain support from people who either love me or hate me, depending on how you used my name.

EVERYONE, I ask that you ignore Anguirel. If you come out against him, he will simply call you a mindless phantom-following sheep, though that is not the case. On the other hand, if you go along with him in an attempt to annoy me, you will only be testifying to the weight and power of my name.

Seriously, Anguirel, it is obvious from this tactic that you are absolutely desperate to get rid of Sauron. Why don't you just hold off for a bit. When the list of characters is more narrow, I am sure you will have less trouble attracting votes. You might even get my vote depending on who Sauron is up against.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #219
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Or we could just vote out Gil-Galad and annoy both of you...

But I think that who I'd really rather go for is Isildur. As phantom has pointed out, none of the Elendili have been voted out yet, so perhaps it is time for one of them to go. So let's look at Isildur. He basically stands around while Elendil and Gil-Galad basically wipe out and are wiped out by Sauron (talk about filial love...). Then, now that Sauron is all but defeated, in come Isildur and takes away Sauron's ring, giving the final blow to Sauron but not really the most valiant one. And, whammy, it sure doesn't take long for his will to get overthrown by the Ring. Then, at the Gladden Fields, he puts on the Ring and deserts his troops - valiant King Isildur, huh? And he dies as a coward, running from the battle.

But he's a king, you might say, and that merits some level of respect or coolness. But king by what right? By that of birth? So if he was born a complete and utter idiot, he would still be king? Birth takes nothing into account of capability, and at the end of his life, Isildur seems to be pretty well losing it. Let's face it. The guy starts out pretty cool but it's all down hill from the departure of Numenor...

++Isildur
Old 03-06-2006, 03:56 PM   #220
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
You know, I like the way you talk, milady Firefoot. Isildur has always slightly annoyed me. Yes, the Sauron-hand-ring thing was cool, I admit. But he really was a very silly boy subsequently. A bit like those Spitfire pilots who took to drink after the end of the war. As I said before, you should have listened to clever old cousin Elrond....

Ang, I'm sympathetic to your cause, really I am. But we need Sauron around for just a little bit longer I think.
So,
++ISILDUR
Old 03-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #221
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Isildur, Gil-Galad, Sauron? Why on Middle-earth would you want these guys out so early?

++ERENDIS
Old 03-06-2006, 04:08 PM   #222
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Flawed and interesting, darling. Flawed and interesting.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #223
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I still don't quite understand why you want Erendis out so bad. Now there's an odd duck that could stand to hang around for a while and make things interesting. You don't get many characters like her.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #224
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

We don't want any characters like her.

I've already explained why I hate her so. "Oh, look at me! I'm in an unhappy marriage! Please listen to me grouch about my husband being away/being at home [delete as applicable] and watch as I do absolutely nothing worthy or interesting."

Utterly unlikeable.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #225
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
The Great Phantom makes sense to me:

+ +Ohtar

Honestly, I wasn't even sure who Ohtar was until I went to the Encyclopedia of Arda and found this:

Quote:
The squire of Isildur. One of only three survivors of the Disaster of the Gladden Fields, Ohtar rescued the shards of Elendil's sword, Narsil, and brought them safely back into the North.
Okay. Rescuing Narsil was important. But anyone could have done it just by making it through the battle, and with such a field of Middle-earth legends, he's relatively expendable. Especially compared to Gil-Galad and Celeborn.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:51 PM   #226
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Moving on from the phantom and Ang's little domestic ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
The Great Phantom makes sense to me ...
Well at least he makes sense to someone around here, then. Good thing too. We wouldn't want his fragile ego dented, would we now?

Seriously, a lot of fuss and bother would have been avoided if Isildur had only listened to Elrond. Weregild schmeregild. The man had less sense than a mere functionary Half-Elf. The shame of it!

++ ISILDUR
Old 03-06-2006, 07:28 PM   #227
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Erendis?!?

Isildur?!?!?!

What is up with you?

All right, it's time for me to join forces with other more reasonable folks around here.

-- Celeborn

++ Ohtar

Bringing Narsil back from the Gladden Fields doesn't even happen until the Third Age anyway, so Ohtar's greatest contribution to the history of middle earth doesn't even happen in the Second Age. Out with him.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:31 PM   #228
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Ok, I'm changing my vote.

--Ereinion Gil-galad
++Ohtar

I can't see a few of those guys go. Time to join forces with Lmp!! For Isildur!!

Besides, Ohtar is useless. I mean, who wants to carry a broken sword??
Old 03-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #229
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up I will stand by my kinsman.

++Erendis, Indis-i-racism

She hates Wargs. In fact, she hates everything except herself.

If you let her win, she'll be the doom of you all. Men she will turn into home decor, women into her non-singing slaves, with children as her play-things. You have been warned.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:47 PM   #230
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I suppose I can understand people not liking Isildur because of the Ring thing, but honestly, what do you expect? Even Frodo, the individual handpicked to resist the Ring, was unable to toss the Ring into his cooking fire in Hobbiton. Tossing the Ring into the Cracks of Doom was beyond anyone's power. Because of that, I cannot fully hold Isildur's reaction to the Ring against him.

I think it is time one of the Elendili died, but I don't think Isildur should be the one to take the fall (not now, anyway, I'll consider him later in the game).

For right now, the Elendili that makes the most sense to kill is
+ + Ohtar
Old 03-06-2006, 09:15 PM   #231
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots Oh, I almost forgot.

Did I mention that if Eracist wins, there would be no more mirth--hence, no more Mirth?

Think about it. The survival of Survivor depends on your votes.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:15 PM   #232
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I can't bring myself to vote for Isildur. I mean... Saucie voted for him and I've seen him in enough werewolf games that I just don't trust his judgement.

++Ohtar
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #233
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I thought I specifically said that no one should touch my Ereinion?

I tell you, Celeborn must be out of here. Now. Can't you see what he's doing? This is supposed to be family-friendly!

++TELE - er, ++CELEBORN
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:45 AM   #234
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

*tut*
Calm down, people. Of course Erendis isn't going to win. She's just being kept in for a while to get things stirred up.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:03 AM   #235
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Isildur wasn't as bad as is portrayed here. Methinks people
are confusing movie Isildur with book Isildur (especially
in Unfinished Tales). While he made a teensty error in
keeping the Ring he did set up Gondor well and said he
was sorry about the Ring thing.

But how about an elf who did virtually nothing all through
the Second and Third Ages and then stayed around Middle-earth
after his wife left (rumored for skirt chasing in Great Greenwood,
although perhaps understandable if you've been married for
hundreds of years).

+ + Celeborn
Old 03-07-2006, 09:28 AM   #236
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Isildur is a big time guy. There is no way that he should be taken out by friggin' Ohtar.

I think Isildur will get taken out eventually, but by someone who actually has a bit of weight. And if you ask me, that's the way it should be.

I'd actually like to vote for Celeborn, but to make sure Isildur is safe...

+ + Ohtar
Old 03-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #237
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe apologies for not having time for anything else, but...

++ Isildur...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #238
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

--Ereinion Gil-galad

++Isildur

Isidur would have been my first choice to win, but he seems careless, and overconfident-he let his gaurd down and let him self be ambushed. Clearly, Ohtar is great. He is like the one good person rising from the evil population. He was allowed to keep his life, and dignity.
________
Ford Thames 300E Specifications

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #239
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots It pleases My Majesty...

...to cast a vote in an effort for a double lynching...errr...I mean eviction. Did I say "lynching?" What on earth would possess me to say that?

++ Isildur

CHAOS REIGNS SUPREME!!!

EDIT: Something nobody else has mentioned is that Isildur was a notorious Warg hunter.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 03-07-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #240
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I am prepared to change my vote to Isildur if, and only if, the mighty Lord Celeborn, husband of the gorgeous Galadriel, both of whom are far greater in station than Elrond, is threatened...

My adventures Amanda-seeking in Eregion are following shortly.