The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #161
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

As Phantom and Mira continued to gaze in disbelief, more Downers began to crowd around onto their side of the portal. The room was completely silent, and they could hear the wind blowing through the pines on the other side.

Suddenly Christopher stood up straight and shouted, "Yes, we will go!" And then, as if every step was a pain, he advanced upon the portal. As he drew near, the Downers marked that he appeared to be fading, and just before stepping through, he could barely be seen at all.

And then he vanished.

Many cried out in shock, and at the same time the door in the hill burst open and several armored men came running out towards the portal. The one in front was very quick, his blond hair flying behind him, and as he came he pointed and shouted, clearly giving instructions to the others. The half dozen soldiers behind him fanned out and continued forward while their leader sprinted straight towards the portal. All the pub staff turned and fled, but the Downers stayed where they were, for strangely they felt no fear at all.

When the man halted but a few feet from the portal, the Downers knew in their hearts that he was not a man at all, for he was fair beyond the measure of this world, and his ears were of a different shape.

"Impossible," gasped Boromir. "An elf!"

And then the elf hailed them. "I am Glorfindel of Rivendell. Who are you, and what have you to do with the portal? And where is Tolkien, and why has a stranger entered this land with the great Ring upon his finger?"
Old 04-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #162
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

It was Phantom who finally got past his surprise and answered Glorfindel. "That stranger was Tolkien's son. He opened the portal."

"But who are you, and why did he open the portal?" asked Glorfindel.

"I am Pha- I mean Philip. I don't know anything about this. Chris Tolkien came in and was talking crazy and acting weird, and then he opened the portal and went through. That's all I know."

Glorfindel moved closer and and questioned Phantom again. "So, you did not know Tolkien at all? And that was his son? But where is Tolkien?"

"Tolkien is dead," answered Phantom. "He died many years ago. I never knew him. Though I've read most of his books. The son finished the books the father never finished. But..." At that moment, the absurdity and strangeness hit Phantom full for the first time. Here was in front of him, Glorfindel? This is ridiculous he thought. How is this happening?

"But of course, he'd be dead now," said Glorfindel. "His final visit was long ago, and he was not young even then. But- you know nothing of the portal, or of this world?"

"No," said Phantom, "I told you I didn't know anything about the portal, but I do know about that world. I read Tolkien's books about it. But... it's not real. I mean- he made up Middle-Earth."

Glorfindel's eyebrows raised, and he smiled briefly. "So, Tolkien was a god, was he, and gave me and my friends life?"

"What? No. That's not what I meant," said Phantom. "I mean, he wrote stories about you, and he made up the stories... from in his head."

"He may have invented stories about Middle-Earth," said Glorfindel gravely, "But that does not mean he invented Middle-Earth or its people. He knew it was real. He visited several times. Otherwise I would not be able to speak your tongue."
Old 04-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #163
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Boromir stepped forward to stand next to Phantom. "Wait, earlier you said that Chris Tolkien had the Ring upon his finger. The 'great' Ring. How is that possible? The One Ring was destroyed! It was cast into the fires of Mount Doom."

Glorfindel started at the name of the fiery mountain. "How do you know that name, and of the plan to destroy the Ring?"

"Tolkien wrote all about it," said Boromir. "All about Frodo, and how he brought the Ring to Rivendell, and Elrond and Gandalf determined it should be destroyed, and then Frodo and eight others undertook the quest."

Glorfindel's mouth opened in surprise as Boromir continued giving details about the quest. The attempted passage of the Misty Mountains, the journey through Moria, and on to the Anduin.

"It seems that my old friend did indeed write many tales of this world," said Glorfindel. "Frodo did bring the Ring to Rivendell, and he and eight companions did follow the path you outlined. The Ring, however, was left behind in Rivendell, and it was certainly not destroyed."

"But why didn't you try and take it to the fire?" asked Mira, who had at last recovered her voice.

Glorfindel looked at her incredulously. "What? Take the Ring to Mordor? With Sauron's armies dwelling there, thick as ants, and Sauron himself ever watchful and alert? Surely you jest!"

"So you never decided to destroy the Ring?" asked Phantom.

"We did indeed decide to destroy the Ring," answered Glorfindel, "But we had not the strength to force Sauron from his realm and assure the Ring safe passage to the mountain. We needed first to gain the upper hand."

"But how could you gain the upper hand without destroying his Ring? Sauron's might was too much to contend with," said Boromir.

"Ah, now you have come upon the reason for the Ring being in your world," said Glorfindel. "Elrond and Gandalf both studied the portal and its workings extensively, and it was one of them, or both perhaps, who theorized that if the Ring were to be taken out of this world and into yours, and the portal closed, that Sauron would lose a greater part of his power, no longer being able to draw upon the Ring. Some of us even went so far as to hope it would destroy him completely, but alas, it did not."

"So, it didn't work?" asked Mira.

"It did work," answered Glorfindel. "After Tolkien left with the Ring, Sauron's designs went astray, and he was greatly weakened. He continued to hold the upper hand for many years with his vast armies of orcs and trolls and his alliances with the cruel peoples of the South, but every year we made some headway. As it stands now the dwarves have a firm foothold in Moria, the elves of Mirkwood have taken back most of their forest, and Ithilien has been cleared of evil. Everywhere we are drawing tight the noose, and we hope to begin assaulting the Black Gates and Minas Morgul soon."

"So things are going well?" questioned Mira.

"I would say yes, if not for what has happened here today, for it appears that the Ring has returned to this world, and Sauron's strength is sure to grow quickly. And if he recovers his Ring...." Glorfindel's face fell.

As he stood there in silence, one of the elves under his command approached bearing tidings. The Downers looked back and forth between the two as they traded hushed words. "Any idea what they're saying, Mnem?" whispered Phantom.

"No, it's too soft, and too fast," said Mnem.

Soon the other elf retreated back towards the door in the hillside, and Glorfindel turned his attention back to the Downers on the other side of the portal. "He has escaped," he said. "My scouts have found his trail, but he appears to be moving quickly- too quick to be caught until he stops to rest. Let us hope that he does so soon."

Last edited by the phantom; 04-11-2009 at 07:25 PM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #164
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

"So, how does this portal work?" called Lalwende from the rear of the group, "And how did Tolkien come to be in your world?"

Glorfindel shook his head. "I do not know all there is to know on those matters. Elrond and Gandalf know the most, and have deemed it wise to remain silent, saying only that which is necessary. The gateway has played an important role in resisting the enemy, and we do not wish for information to find its way to his ears."

"But we don't even live in Middle-Earth," insisted Lalwende. "And though you don't know everything, you can at least tell us what you do know, or guess."

"I will not share all I know," answered Glorfindel, "But I will tell you part." Everyone gathered closer to the portal, anxious to hear his tale, but not so much that they crossed the threshold. "Tolkien appeared on this spot for the first time many years before the Ring came to Rivendell. He was found by the sons of Elrond, who were on an errand in these parts. The wilderness north of Rivendell is vast, and there are few paths, and so we believe that it was fated to be so, that he would appear when he did, and that they would pass by within moments."

"To open the portal, he spoke words from a piece of parchment, in the language of the high-elves. Do not ask how he came by the parchment in his world. I do not know. But I do know that he could open the portal from any location with the words and force of will, and that if he opened it repeatedly from one location, it became easier. Elrond advised him against this, worrying that opening it enough times from one place might make the boundary so weak that it would not close properly. How he came to this conclusion, I do not know. As I said, he and Gandalf studied this matter in great detail, and have not shared their findings."

"Tolkien was brought to Rivendell, and there he learned to speak with us and we with him. He showed great interest in the history of this world, and he asked always for tales, and took notes. After a brief time, he returned to this spot and opened the portal again, promising to return. And he did."

"So, he had a way to close the portal?" asked Boromir.

"Yes," answered the elf-lord. "The words of shutting were also written on the parchment. I do not know them, but Elrond does. I have already ordered one of my soldiers to hasten to Rivendell immediately with tidings. Doubtless Elrond himself will come soon, and he will be able to close the gateway."

"But- I don't want it to close," said Mnem, and many others nodded in agreement.

"It will have to close," said Glorfindel firmly. "When my scouts bring back Tolkien's son and the Ring, he will be returned to your world and the way will be closed, and it must remain so until the path is cleared to destroy the Ring. At that time, we will open the portal from this side and retrieve the Ring."

"But where will the portal open?" asked Phantom, "And how will you be able to find the Ring here in this world?"

"I do not know where the portal will open, but Elrond and Tolkien knew somehow, and had the details worked out. Doubtless Tolkien passed on the plan to his son, but under the circumstances, I think it probable that Elrond will wish to form a new plan. Likely he will need to meet with one of you, and will place the Ring in your care, as its current guardian has been proven untrustworthy."
Old 04-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #165
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Merignor the Easterling stood in his usual place, high upon the side of a rocky hill across the valley from the place where the elves had delved their cave. The sun was sinking, and soon all of the little valley would be in shadow. Another fruitless watch. He was about to turn and call for someone to fetch the next watchman when movement in the valley below caught his eye.

There was something glowing, shimmering blue and bright in the valley. One of the elf sentries had left his post by the door. Soon the door opened again, and out of it ran a group of elves. He could not be certain, but it looked to be the elf-lord Glorfindel of Rivendell leading them.

Merignor turned and called into the cave to his rear. "Go tell the master something is happening, and that he should come immediately." He turned back to watch the scene below. The elf soldiers were moving off in different directions, leaving the cave, and Glorfindel, unprotected.

Through his bird spies, Sauron had learned long ago that this spot was special to his enemies. Elrond himself and Gandalf even had been spotted here on more than one occasion, and there were always a few elves stationed at the cave, though their purpose had never been discovered. Sauron determined that he should place an outpost here to observe, and if possible, ambush Elrond or Gandalf if they ever came to that place again with few guards.

For the job, he had sent no less than the Witch King himself. He knew the North well, and an attack upon the greatest of foes could not be carried out by any lesser servant.

Merignor was surprised when he was joined by the Witch King in a few short seconds. The message could not have reached him so quickly. "My Lord. There is something going on down below. And that elf, Glorfindel, is there unprotected without his horse."

The Witch King gave his orders swiftly. "Tell the men to prepare for an ambush quickly. My signal will come soon. And have someone bring me my horse immediately."

As Merignor retreated down the passage, the Witch King shivered with anticipation. Finally something had happened. He had waited nearly a year, taking no action. Just watching. Waiting. But the situation had changed, more even than Merignor realized. For even as the portal had opened, his master, Sauron, began to recover his old strength and will. The Witch King had heard his thought clearer than he had in years only moments before, and that is why he was already on his way to the lookout when Merignor's message reached him. Things were moving on a grand scale, and just as his master had long suspected, it appeared that this place was important in some way.

Last edited by the phantom; 04-11-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #166
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

"But why would you give the Ring to one of us?" Mira asked Glorfindel. "You see what it did to Christopher."

"Perhaps Elrond will ask you to share the burden," said Glorfindel. "I do not know. I will not be the one making the decision. Any other questions you have should be held until he arrives, or at least sends word."

Suddenly a shout was heard, and Glorfindel stepped to his left and looked intently at something beyond the portal that those in the pub could not see. From his side Glorfindel drew a horn and blew a single clear note, and out of the door two more mail clad elves emerged. Glorfindel drew his sword and began shouting orders.

"What's going on?!" yelled Boromir.

But at that moment, the Downers heard the sound of hooves echoing off the rock face in front of them, and the sound of many voices yelling war cries. Soon a great number of horses swept into view from both sides of the portal, closing fast on Glorfindel and his friends. Even as they lost sight of him, a black horse with a tall cloaked rider appeared around the right side of the portal. They could not see his face in the failing light, but he wore a crown, and his eyes burned brightly. Mnem said what everyone was thinking. "Oh crap- it's the Witch King."
Old 04-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #167
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

The Downers stood rooted to the spot as the Witch King dismounted and stalked towards the portal, a sword in one hand and a long knife in the other. "He's coming! He's coming here!" shouted Mnem in panic, backing away towards the entry hall.

Everyone took a step back as the Witch King, dark and menacing, stepped through the gateway and onto the wooden floor of the pub. For a second he stood surveying them in complete silence, and then he spotted at his feet a sheet of paper- rules for Phantom's Werewolf game. Everyone watched as he picked up the page and read it, front and back. He sheathed his sword, and from somewhere beneath his robes he drew a glowing orb. A palantir.

"My master will be quite interested to see this," said the Witch King with a cold laugh. "It seems that the Isle of Werewolves he ruled in the First Age has been made into some sort of... game." The Witch King turned his head from side to side, looking at each Downer in turn, and then he spoke slowly, relishing his evil thoughts as he made them known. "I wonder if you would find this game to be entertaining if the deaths were real. I have learned much necromancy from my master, and can call up spirits. Perhaps I should call for a couple of Werewolf spirits, and a vampire." He looked down at the rules again. "Oh, and Grima, of course. His soul has long been in our keeping."

As it dawned on the Downers what the Witch King was suggesting, they dashed for the hall, but the Witch King raised his hand and the outer door slammed shut on the heels of Lalwende and Mnem, who alone of the group made it out in time. The Downers closest to the door began to beat upon it, while others ran to windows and attempted to break them. But no one could do any harm to the windows or door. There seemed to be some invisible layer shielding them, preventing them from exiting. Amidst the panic, the Witch King held aloft the palantir and let out a high piercing shriek. Through the portal four bright red orbs came flying, and each of them entered into a Downer. Due to the surrounding chaos, no one except the Witch King marked which four.

As Phantom ran back into the main room to try the rear door of the building, he spotted on the floor the very parchment that Christopher Tolkien had used to open the portal. He picked it up and grabbed Boromir as he went running past. "We can shut the portal with this!" he said.

"Maybe, but we don't want him in here with us," said Boromir.

"All right then," said Phantom. "You get a couple others to try and push him back through the portal, and I'll start reading. I'll save the finish for when he's on the other side."

"Do you know Quenya?" asked Boromir.

"Not really," answered Phantom, "But I know the pronunciation rules. I ought to be able to read it at least, even if I don't know what I'm saying. Besides, it's the only chance we have I'm thinking."

"Right!" said Boromir. "I'll see if I can get a couple people to help me."

The Witch King was still standing near the portal, and seemed to be deep in communication with Sauron using the palantir. He payed no attention to the Downers running this way and that, trying every potential exit. But suddenly Boromir's voice was heard shouting, "Now! Now!" and he along with Mira, Nerwen, and Lommy all rushed forward, bulling into the Witch King, pushing him back through the portal.

Phantom had finished reading all but the final phrase, and watched intently, waiting for the Witch King to fall back through the portal. But he stopped short of the gateway. The push was not enough. With a yell, Phantom charged forward and flung himself upon the Witch King. His extra push tipped the scales, and the Witch King toppled back through the portal. As they fell, Phantom shouted, "Antan vanda sa caruvantes!" As the Downers looked on, eyes wide, the portal vanished. The Witch King was gone.

Several fell to the floor and wept in relief, but those closest to where the portal disappeared rushed forward to the still forms of Nerwen, Boromir, and Lommy. They could not be revived. The Witch King had stabbed at them as they sought to drive him back, and his knife had dealt them mortal blows.

"But where are Phantom and Mira?" asked one.

"I think they went with him," answered another. "Through the portal."

Two Downers returned from the entry way with grim news. The spell had not worn off. They were still trapped in the pub.

"The question is, are there now evil creatures among us?" asked one Downer.

Then there appeared a great light high in the air, and out of it four glowing blue orbs emerged, and a voice spoke. "There is evil among you, and the spell sealing you in is strong. But there was room left in the enchantment for us to aid you with four spirits, even as it was written in the rules which the Witch King used to work the spell. The enchantment can only be broken by following the rules of the game. We hope that many of you survive."

Then the light went out, and all of the Downers fell to the floor in an enchanted sleep.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #168
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

(SAVED- for day beginning post and tally in case no one is around to open the day. Day 1 begins in 10 hours and 48 minutes)

EDIT: Here's the list.
  • Aganzir
  • Alonariel
  • Brinniel
  • Fea
  • Firefoot
  • Formendacil
  • Green
  • Gwath
  • Izzy
  • Kent
  • Kuruharan
  • Lari
  • Nienna
  • Nilp
  • Nogrod
  • Sally
  • Shasta

Score: 14-3

Last edited by the phantom; 04-12-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #169
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sooooo Day 1 has officially started. Unfortunately, I don't have the list of people who are currently alive and dead because our dear modgod failed to send me that particular information. But figured I'd just let you all know that we're officially open for business since nobody's posted yet.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #170
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Eek

"Well that was quite a show."

Aganzir's voice is bitter. She is still in shock due to the fact that she has lost three of her (several) favourite Downers. She has no idea how Lommy ended up in the pub. According to her knowledge, she should have been in Prague having fun with Legate. Maybe they decided to pay us a surprise visit, she thinks, but where's Legate then? Did he run away when he noticed something was wrong? That coward! I always knew he was up to no good!

"So," she says, "I suppose we are to play werewolf then."

She looks around to see if anyone is paying attention.

Last edited by Aganzir; 04-12-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: xed with Mira. I think the list should be on the admin thread? Unless it has changed once again.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #171
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I'm going to assume that I wandered back in here sometime before Christopher Tolkien showed up and disappeared. In any case, I'm presumably here now and know what I'm doing.

Don't take it amiss if I'm a bit lacklustre today. The celebrations were rather late last night (morning, really), and between beer without sufficient water intake, too much food, and a room on the sunny side of the building, my messed up sleep-cycle is leaving me very mellow today...

...but I'll be around, probably, on and off all Day for the usual Day 1 antics and/or harmless Internet flirting.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #172
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
for the usual Day 1 antics and/or harmless Internet flirting.
Can I at least be your Internet Esmeralda then?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #173
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Can I at least be your Internet Esmeralda then?
Esmeralda is an attractive and potentially seductive woman, but I don't think she's the flirting sort--and you, Miss Aganzir most definitely are. I think you'll need to look a bit further to find a suitable Disney match for you.

*Note to Self: It's Easter... if a game must have a Day 1 at least it falls on a day I'm otherwise not really in gear.

*Note to Others: Cognitive faculties seem to be sticking a little...
Old 04-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #174
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
but I don't think she's the flirting sort
Oh come on.

Quote:
I think you'll need to look a bit further to find a suitable Disney match for you.
Is there anyone who wants to kill their kin (and has a scar on his left eye, preferably)? Any girls who work for the god of death? Anyone who has been turned into a huge beast by an elf (haha his name is actually Prince Adam, by the way )?

Hmm given the situation we're in, I think Frollo sounds the safest.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #175
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Ha ha NOT if you're Esmeralda.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #176
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Nogrod and Greenie were such shaken by the advents that took place that they needed to cool down with a game of chess in the corner.

After they got the game through Nogrod rose from the table - and as there was no one to tend the bar he helped himself with a pint of Spitfire ale - and joined the ring of other baffled 'Downers.

"So it was the Witch-King himself? I mean all of this sounds like a bad prank coming from the phantom's mind - like a bad phantasy novel plot where a Witch King from the other world just decides to let our world be as it is and only gives the heroes (who are just the ordinary people eg. us) a task to be fulfilled & blah-blah... But somehow it feels like real now."

He looked around to the fellow 'Downers some of he hadn't even had time to say "Hi" this far. We'd actually need to kill someone...? For real that is!

Pheww... Nogrod felt he was shaking all over. This can't be true!

"Okay, who's the one to volunteer for being the Jack Ketch, the gallower, the hangman... whatever way you want it? Gwath? Shasta? You think you're brave enough for it?"

He made a pause.

"Or do we believe in this story enough to actually start really killing each other?"
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #177
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Ha ha NOT if you're Esmeralda.
"The safest for me, obviously. Looking for someone like my favourite Disney characters might prove pretty dangerous here."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
"Or do we believe in this story enough to actually start really killing each other?"
"Well... how else could Hanni and Nerwen and Boro have... then?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
"Okay, who's the one to volunteer for being the Jack Ketch, the gallower, the hangman... whatever way you want it? Gwath? Shasta? You think you're brave enough for it?"
"I'm not killing anyone." For a moment, anger flashes in Agan's eyes. "Except for Legate if I ever get out of here alive. He brought her here and ran away himself!"

She pauses ang smiles joylessly. "And since this all actually happens, we must think carefully before lynching... Like, killing people just because they're quiet doesn't sound quite fair in real life."
Old 04-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #178
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
"One would think," said Greenie, "you Noggins would believe in the story after that ugly thing killed Lommy, eh?" She made a pause, during which she stared at the pieces on the chessboard. "It's a bit like a game of chess, you know - you kill or get killed. Except - wait - in a game of chess, you know who you need to kill. Drat, the metaphor didn't quite work."

She scanned the room and decided that not much of interest was going on - Agan flirting with Form (though that, Greenie admitted to herself, was interesting in a way) and Gwath sort of around too and Nog trying to provoke discussion.

"Well then," she said, "seems like we're in a bit of trouble." And continued, muttering to herself, "Maybe I should just have stayed in those London underground music cycles after all..."

Greenie sank back into her chair and began toying with the chess pieces.

EDIT: x-ed with Agannnnn
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #179
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Oh come on.
I dunno... I'm still inclined to stick my opinion, on the basis that the clip there is a public performance. Flirting, at least to my mind, is a one-on-one action, and while there are elements of it there, they are merely part of the show.

I will grant, however, it's been quite a long time since I've seen the movie in anything resembling its entirety, so I'm certainly fallible in my overall assessment. It's possible, even, that the last time I saw that movie I'd not yet had flirting cross my mental horizon.

That being said, though, if I can't exclude you, Miss Agan from the Esmeralda role on the grounds of flirting, I can exclude myself from Frollo on the grounds of my not sharing his character. I'm hardly an austere, self-righteous, wet blanket--I hope.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #180
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Greenie yawned, lifting her eyes from the film she and Nog had been watching.

"I'm tired," she complained. "I think I'll just go to sleep." She cast an amused look at Form and Agan. "It's good that as long as we can't do real analysis on one another's character we can analyse Esmeralda's instead..."
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #181
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
I dunno... I'm still inclined to stick my opinion, on the basis that the clip there is a public performance. Flirting, at least to my mind, is a one-on-one action, and while there are elements of it there, they are merely part of the show.
Oh but we were comparing her to me. One could say that with me, too, flirting is just a part of the show - if I really want to enchant someone, I'm usually (but not always ) much less straightforward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frollondacil
That being said, though, if I can't exclude you, Miss Agan from the Esmeralda role on the grounds of flirting, I can exclude myself from Frollo on the grounds of my not sharing his character. I'm hardly an austere, self-righteous, wet blanket--I hope.
No but you're to be a Catholic priest too (hmm he was a judge in the film, but it doesn't count) which is enough. And your current Facebook profile pic is scary in a Frollo-ish way. You know, the way you look at the camera. If you were a bit paler and had a different shape nose and smaller pupils, you'd look just like him.
Also, Frollo was really devoted to his work and a kind and loving foster father. Plus, he got the best song.

And yes Greenie I think this is a good way of playing. Like, we have already concluded that Form is Frollo which means he's thoroughly rotten and should be lynched as soon as possible.

By the way Fea, guess what I finished just a while ago.

I'll go to sleep.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #182
Kent2010
Wight

Kent2010 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
She pauses ang smiles joylessly. "And since this all actually happens, we must think carefully before lynching... Like, killing people just because they're quiet doesn't sound quite fair in real life."
That's good to hear, it would be like awarding an 'A' just to the people who write the most, assuming their stuff is better quality...that system is easy to cheat.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #183
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
"Now let's get serious about this..." Nogrod suggested and emptied his pint.

"Looking at the graveness of the situation I find it less than tolerable that you guys use your time with empty banter about Disney-characters..." He looked around and gathered his courage, drawing breath.

"Hey there!" he shouted from the bottom of his lungs. "Listen!!!"

The crowd went a bit more silent with that.

"If what we saw and heard is true, it means we have to kill someone toDay. Have you thought about it? This is no game, we have to kill someone, for real! Think about it! Who are you ready to vote this time? It's not just the common WW-vote in the 'Downs but your vote is for someone for real... Just think about it... and speak accordingly".

Nogrod looked at Aganzir and Form and their light banter with suspicious eyes.

"I've already lost one daughter and I mean not to lose another... unless my remaining daughter is possessed by evil in which case it will be a tragedy over all proportions and I will be ready to die after that as well as I will have no reason to live then. So keep this as fun as you like but remember that our decisdions have consequences far more terrible compared to those we make in a WW-game in the 'Downs. It's true this time. And really: someone has to kill someone for real."

Nogrod looked around and drew breath one more time.

"So just remember that this time what you say actually means something. If you say: "Gah: let's vote for X as I don't have a clue and don't bother to think it more", it means someone dies for real because of that lazyness of yours (or cowardish self-preservation)! So talk people and be real. The deaths will be real here..."

EDIT: *bans himself for using the word "real" in the next five posts...*
Old 04-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #184
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
So talk people and be real. The deaths will be real here...
Now, now... calm down Nogrod. Put things into perspective. If this really is a really real real calamity, then we really need to cope with it, really, in a real manner like real people would really do.

So if Agan and I continue to banter about Disney characters, it's clearly because we're absolutely distraught and we're seeking outlet somewhere safe and comfy--and what's more that than old Disney movies? Really!

In any case, people, you have to remember that this is STILL Day 1. Lives are on the line--yes; but that does not mean that we have anything more to go by than if this were just WW 5X on the 'Downs. And surely you don't mean to analyse Day-1's behaviour?

Anyway, my dear Agan, there's difficulty in assigning me to Frollo and you Esmeralda insofar as the real me doesn't have as much of a crush on Esmeralda as some of the other Disney ladies. Out of the Disney canon, I'm probably fondest of Belle--and that's a very different character from Esmeralda. So what you need to find, going off this evidence, for my perfect woman would be along the lines of: sweet, quiet, bookworm (I'd even go so far and say Belle is a brunette, but that might be getting unconscionably Freudian, as I inherit my brown hair from my mother...).

It's hardly possible that we've got any sweet girls of quieter disposition and a propensity to books at this Downer gathering, right? Clearly, Form shall remain the celibate man he is, with little difficulty.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #185
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
Nienna puts on a brave face even though she is now terrified. People have died in her midst... this was something she hoped would never happen. She decides that she needs some time to think. She finds herself a quiet corner and thinks about all the events that have transpired. This is all very surreal, she thinks to herself. She thought that she was just getting together for a fun outing with a bunch of 'Downer friends and she finds herself in the midst of a real life WW game... and not that just playing WW in real life but actually having to decide who is evil and who is innocent.

Nienna looks around suspiciously. Even the people that she knows are her friends can no longer be trusted.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #186
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Dear computer: epic fail.

I just had a really long post which more or less didn't say anything, but was quite well written.

It was kind of like "Fea does things" and "Fea says things" and there was a veiled metaphorical "I'm going to bed" tucked neatly onto the end.

The main theme was "Let's put the corpses in the freezer so they don't rot while we try to sort this Witch King thing out," and "Oh dear, I have to go from being a staunch pacifist in Real Life to being a murderer of my peers! Gasp! I don't know if my personal code of ethics can stand a lynching!"

Yeah.

Anyway, the computer ate my post.

But I'm here, I'm going to bed, I'll see all y'all tomorrow.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 04-12-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typo
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #187
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Mr. Nogrod. How do you know everything we experience now is real and serious business?
Last thing I remember is the lights going out and slumping to the floor. When did the lights come back on, and we all rose?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #188
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots If you can't beat em, join em...

Quote:
Frollo was really devoted to his work and a kind and loving foster father. Plus, he got the best song.

we have already concluded that Form is Frollo which means he's thoroughly rotten and should be lynched as soon as possible.
Isn't there a tad bit of inconsistency here?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #189
Kent2010
Wight

Quote:
So talk people and be real. The deaths will be real here..."
Ok. What do you think about bonus votes?

Quote:
EDIT: *bans himself for using the word "real" in the next five posts...*
Does that apply for other forms of the word, such as, but are not limited to, 'reality' or 'really?'
Old 04-13-2009, 12:48 AM   #190
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Brinn realised now things were getting serious. No more silly games; it was time for everyone to get down to business and weed out these baddies. There were a lot of people here and all needed to be watched closely.

Brinn sat in her corner and contemplated what her strategy would be in order to find the baddies. Better to find them all sooner than later since she didn't want to get eaten in the Night. Should she go after the ones who act obviously suspicious, or those who slip under the radar? What would be the smartest way to use these bonus votes? Should she use them all at once or spread them out? Brinn was always a careful player, so maybe she should save them for a time when they might be needed most.

Though perhaps Brinn's biggest question of all was, why was she still talking to herself in third person?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:10 AM   #191
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots Desperate Wager.

*is bored in his shiny cloak he was wearing all the time underneath his clothes*

++satansaloser2005 (+0)

The closest thing to an autovote. ('cos Mistress Rikae's not here. )

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 04-13-2009 at 05:31 AM. Reason: forgot to highlight vote
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:37 AM   #192
Kent2010
Wight

Intermission status-report (eventhough we are past the half way point).

Form and Agan stand out the most, as they flaunt themselves around. Innocent.

Followed by Nogrod, who tries to spur us to action. Innocent.

Everyone else is pretty forgettable, and will continue to watch.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:34 AM   #193
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent
Those are tricky ones. Basically I think most of us think like Brinn that one should keep them in reserve for the moment when they are needed the most. It sounds like wisdom as getting it right on Day1 is relatively hard. But there is also the problem that when you die all those unused votes are lost as well - and you never know when you're going to be taken out, especially during the Nights. So I'm probably going to use at least some of them quite early on if I just think I have a clue about someone being possessed by the evil spirits.

Also Finrod might do well to pay heed to the fact that the evil ones may take the number of votes a person has as one ground for picking her/him during the Night. I don't think it is a decisive factor but it most probably will be one of the factors they need to consider - especially later when our numbers have grown thinner.

But even more interesting I think is the possibility of retracking your vote once everyDay but leaving a certain number of those added votes to the one from whom you retract! That basically gives us a possibility to vote for two people on the same Day - and with different weight. I don't think I need to say it aloud that that is a double-edged sword which should be used wisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form
And surely you don't mean to analyse Day-1's behaviour?
Gah... I think we've had this discussion a few times before at the forum (right Nilp? ). But yes I will... later on the Day. In case someone actually starts talking, that is.

If we all just continue on Disney we could as well throw a coin to decide our votes - and continue toMorrow with no lead whatsoever. The baddies would just love it!

It is not once or twice that a wolf has been lynched on Day1 in 'Downs werewolf - with sound reasoning - so why think it would be impossible here in a **** situation (sorry, I just follow my ban for a certain word here I imposed to myself - so no bad language involved).
Old 04-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #194
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
This is no game, we have to kill someone, for real! Think about it! Who are you ready to vote this time? It's not just the common WW-vote in the 'Downs but your vote is for someone for real...
Then there's no way I'm voting for you or Green today, and I'd like to avoid voting Brinn, Fea, Form, Nilp, sally and Shasta as well. That leaves only people who are new or who I've had relatively little interaction with, which doesn't sound quite fair, either. Ergo, I should probably vote for the one(s) I suspect the most, whoever they are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form
It's hardly possible that we've got any sweet girls of quieter disposition and a propensity to books at this Downer gathering, right? Clearly, Form shall remain the celibate man he is, with little difficulty.
What about Brinn or Green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuru
Isn't there a tad bit of inconsistency here?
No because Frollo appeared good but was in fact evil and just used Quasimodo to his own ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent
They'll weigh more in the end when there are fewer people around. People should think about how to use them wisely. Vote counts are almost useless because there's Pippin messing things up. The baddies might want to try to save their bonus votes for later as there's nothing very suspicious in that ("I don't suspect anyone enough to give xem several votes now, I'd rather wait till my bonus votes are actually needed..."), but it's dangerous if they get their votes to overnumber ours. Basically they could just control the game by lynching innocents during the days and killing them at night. Etc.

Last edited by Aganzir; 04-13-2009 at 06:44 AM. Reason: xed with Noggyns
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #195
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
The baddies might want to try to save their bonus votes for later as there's nothing very suspicious in that ("I don't suspect anyone enough to give xem several votes now, I'd rather wait till my bonus votes are actually needed..."), but it's dangerous if they get their votes to overnumber ours. Basically they could just control the game by lynching innocents during the days and killing them at night. Etc.
Exactly. And as they face no imminent danger of dying during the Nights they can afford to keep their bonus votes in reserve!

That is a dilemma indeed as I'm not sure I'd propose us mechanically lynching those with the greatest number of votes left just to be on the safe side...
Old 04-13-2009, 07:03 AM   #196
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Test post (the computer is glitching and keeps eating my posts).
Old 04-13-2009, 07:05 AM   #197
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Huh.

Still won't let me post properly.

Here's the gist:

probably going to vote this morning
probably going to vote for Brinn because I'll never know her alignment, and I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:11 AM   #198
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
They were all taking this seriously... that must mean it was real... "So you're all sure this isn't just some kind of weird joke phantom's staged for us?" Blank looks. "Right then..."

Bonus votes... that's new. But I definitely think they ought to be saved for a bit later - a sort of trump card. Besides, in these first few days no one's ever sure of anything. But, then again, maybe this is all just common sense.

I don't have time now. So I propose that our three wolves are Aganzir, Nilp, and Shasta. Discuss.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #199
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Hmm and there's a chance that the person the wolves attack turns into a wolf too, so it's dangerous also for the innocents to save their votes till later. Basically I suppose it'd be safest that everyone got rid of their extra votes as soon as possible, but that would be boring & destroy the whole point of having bonus votes.

At least when the game gets closer to the end, people with lots of votes left should be kept an eye on.

edit: xed & disagree with Firefoot.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:31 AM   #200
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent2010 View Post
Intermission status-report (eventhough we are past the half way point).
Thankfully Day One is a bit longer this go around...no doubt due to all the weirdness surrounding events.

Quote:
Day 1 will be 36 hours as well in order to get the deadline back to schedule and allow everyone time to post.

-the phantom
Nice to see Nilp is being his usual weird self. In a way there may be some sense in killing people who don't speak at all as a way of keeping us from losing two people at once due to modfire...but I don't think that is a tactic likely to net us many wolves nor are we in danger of losing one to modfire, yet.