The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2003, 01:11 AM   #1
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up A Question (Ponies or Horses)

Were the quadrepeds being rode by the hobbits at the end of ROTK ponies or horses?<BR>(I just realized: for clarity, from the movie ROTK.)<P>My slightly horse-obsessive mother and sister are emboiled in a fierce debate over it.<P><BR>[Title edited by moderator for clarity]<P>[ 4:20 AM December 29, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]<p>[ 2:56 PM December 29, 2003: Message edited by: Demloth of Dol Amroth ]
Old 12-29-2003, 01:24 AM   #2
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would think ponies because that is what they rode in the books
Old 12-29-2003, 01:30 AM   #3
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

True, but mum seems to think they are Icelandic horses, which are often mistaken for ponies.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:41 AM   #4
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Depends on whether you are talking "breeds" or "size"; you must be aware that height is the technical dividing line between "horse" and "pony". As I recall the number is Fourteen Hands. (Do I recall correctly?)<P>Whether the hobbits' mounts have Icelandic blood I don't know.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:00 PM   #5
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I think you're right, Mark12_30. Ponies are fourteen hands (or less) at the withers (the bump in front of the saddle at the level of the shoulder blades) which is 56 inches or about 142 cm. As for the question: do you mean are the *hobbits* riding ponies or are the *actors* riding ponies? The hobbits, because of their size, rode ponies. The actors (being human sized) couldn't ride ponies without looking weird. If you're asking about the breed of horse the actors were riding I don't know. A Google search didn't turn anything up except that Shadowfax was Andalusian. <P>Anyone else with more information?<P>-Lily
Old 12-31-2003, 09:57 AM   #6
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Rohirric horses, and so I guess the Gondorian ones (since PJ reused human extras all the time, it'd make sense for horses to be reused) belonged to New Zealands horse-riders, who rode them as extras. Maybe Eomer's and Theoden's etc weren't but the majority were.<P>Shadowfax is special.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 02:13 PM   #7
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Good topic...my mother is also a horse person, and she wants to know all about the horses that were used, training, etc. Does anyone know where I can get more info (lordoftherings.net has nothing good.)?
Old 01-01-2004, 03:49 PM   #8
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Demloth - I Googled it, and could find no mention of Icelandic horses being used in the film. <P>For those not up on it; Icelandic horses (they are <I>never</I> called ponies) are small, gaited horses. They are famous for having a gait - the <I>tolt</I> or walk-run - that is so smooth that the rider can carry a full glass of wine and not spill a drop.<P>Icelandic horses only came to New Zealand in 1984 and are still very rare there. I doubt that any would have been bought to use in the production unless P.J. particularly wanted a gaited horse for that scene. They would have been way too expensive to justify the cost, otherwise.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 04:03 PM   #9
Pointy-eared elf

Shield

They are indeed Icelandic horses. they are the same size as a pony but in the clase of a horse.<BR>my sister owns 1
Old 01-01-2004, 04:06 PM   #10
Pointy-eared elf

Shield

Lily poines are actually 14.2 hh or less sorry to be picky
Old 01-01-2004, 04:37 PM   #11
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pointy - How can you tell, from the few, brief glances we had of the Hobbits' steeds? Did you find an article mentioning it? <P>As for your sister: lucky sister! They look like a fun horse to ride.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 11:21 PM   #12
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Depends on whether you are talking "breeds" or "size"; you must be aware that height is the technical dividing line between "horse" and "pony". As I recall the number is Fourteen Hands. (Do I recall correctly?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually it often depends on what breed the horse is to whether it is a horse or a pony. Some smaller breeds ponies are 12 hands and under and larger breeds may be 14 hands and under. It all depends on the horse. My horse was a Appaloosa and she was about 13 hands which for that particular breed is more a horse than a pony because Appaloosa's are "normally" are only about 15 hands. But if you want to get really compilcated you must understand that the really really small horse called mini horses are not considered ponies but horses. Why this is I really don't know but that is the catagory they are considered in. I think that the horses Merry and Pippen rode were ponies because they seemed like desendents from a larger breed like angloarabs. Ok I just rambled off 8 years of knowledge so I will stop.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 02:49 PM   #13
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Don't stop, we all love horses. <P>Perhaps if we watched RotK again, and paid more attention to the gait and any other clues during those last scenes, we might be able to figure something out about the mounts that were used.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 04:13 PM   #14
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

The horses of the Elves and Nazgul were andalusians (I don't think I spelled that right) which is the same breed that was in the movie Zorro. I am not sure about the horses Rohan and Gondor used, they could have been anything. I think Shadowfax was an andalusian maybe with some arabian blood.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 09:33 PM   #15
The Great Shadowfax
Pile O'Bones

The Great Shadowfax has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Great Shadowfax
Sting

hmmm...i dont think that the hobbits' horses were icelandic but thats just my opinion. as for Shadowfax (all hail the lord of all horses) i do believe he was andalusian and as for all of the extra horses used for rohan and such, i think they were a mixed bunch of breeds; i only think that because werent they just any horse and rider in the area they were filming available to ride as extras for the movies? but i dont know. like i said, thats just my oppinion. <P>-=all hail Lord Shadowfax=-<BR>~Luindringiel~<BR>~Pennsarnien~
The Great Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote