The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Return of the Ring and Barrow-Downs Mega-moot - Celebrating Tolkien in 2012

At the TS seminar on Saturday I was given a early booking form for this event "A five day Tolkien conference similar to (but better than) Tolkien 2005 to be held at Loughborough University, Leicestershire 16th-20th August 2012.

There are plans for three streams of lectures, plus creative and fandom streams and child friendly activities (but not a creche!. There will be also the usual dealer and Art rooms, bar and hospitality. They intend to run coach trips to Birmingham, Oxford and possibly elsewhere.

In the evenings there will be one main event and some smaller ones :

Thursday - Opening Ceremony
Friday - Ceilidh
Saturday - Costume Masquerade
Sunday - Banquet dinner

Loughborough University offers a wide range of accommodation from standard single "student" rooms to a 4 star hotel complex. It is also fairly centrally located for transport links.

Registration rates will rise at the beginning of April each year. There will be an extra charge for some activities suceh as the coach trips.

Current rates are (I assume that this is the rate for TS members and there may be asurcharge for non members):

Full adult attending : £60 Attendance and publications

Adult concession/ Parcipating child £50 Attendance and publications

Babe in Arms £1

Supporting £20 - All publications not attendance (may be upgraded later)

Unless the TS is expecting people to anticipate that they will have a babe in arms in 4 years time (either due to extremely effective forward planning or a Rosie Cotton level of fecundity) it might be cost effective Lal and Dave at least registering young Alfred now !

Accommodation and meal rates will be announced later.

I don't think this has been published yet on the web site so remember you heard it here first!!!

Also the conference falls between the London Olympics and Paralympics (one ending a few days before the other starting a few years later, which may be useful leverage if anyone needs more reason than Tolkien to make a trip to the UK at that time!!!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-30-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
That sounds interesting! That is also the year I graduate from high school! When Laurinque will be making a trip around... places. We might be able to go if we start saving now!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Return of the Ring August 2012: A Barrow Downs Mega-moot

"What!?" you say. We haven't even yet had Oxonmoot 2010. "What's this now?"

The great success and buzz generated by the epic Finnish adventure across the New World--there and back--with its many Downer meetings--has got me thinking: why not plan a large Barrow Downs gettogether, giving people time to save money, organise resources, wheedle and needle parents, check out the locale, etc. And what would be a more likely event around which to organise this but a large Tolkien gathering?

The Tolkien Society, building on the great success of Tolkien 2005, is planning a five day "Gathering of Friends" to celebrate Tolkien in August 2012. No, it won't be in Oxford, but in Loughborough, Leicestershire. It looks like noted Tolkien authors Tom Shippey and Brian Sibley will be special guests.

A perfect venue for a megamoot, no? People could attend any of the various activities and events or just hang out together and the Tolkien Society does all the work of planning it.

Here's more information about Return of the Ring 2012. We don't have to be members of the society to attend.

Anyhow, this thread for now is simply a notice of the event, to see if the idea holds merit. Who's interested? Or have I been affected by too much second hand pipeweed?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

I'm totally in. That would be fantastic.

We can all get together right before the world ends.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I'll be there, actively involved in the programme. I very much look forward to the event and would love to see lots of Downers meet there!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sounds fantastic!
The best bit is that by that time I'll be out of high school and wont need to worry about that any more. And if all goes well I'll be in Britain anyway! Sounds like time to start planning.

Thanks for posting this, Bb.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Yes! Now this looks amazing! I'll try to be there by any (reasonable) means possible!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #8
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I do like the idea of things being organized for me! Haha. I have no idea what I'll be doing in 2 years but I hope I can maybe squeeze this in. Thank you for posting, Bethberry!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ahem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
"What!?" you say. We haven't even yet had Oxonmoot 2010. "What's this now?"
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...85&postcount=1

Do try to keep up Bethberry..

Old 08-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Impressive, Mith.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
I most certainly want to attend. It would be a nice chance to finally head over to England and I know it would be a good excuse for the husband to come along with since he too is a Tolkien fan.

So exciting!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:51 AM   #12
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Impressive, Mith.
I try to be

Old 08-09-2010, 04:57 AM   #13
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Sounds like a grand idea! I'll get saving right away! Can someone lend me a tenner?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #14
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sounds delightful. Pity it's too far.

-Maril
Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Okay! Big news!!! The accommodation is booked!! (Or will be as soon as they get the booking form through the post).

We will be staying at;
The Newark and Sherwood Holiday cottage from 6th August - 19th August.

I should explain why I didn't book the bunk barn. It was becoming a massive pain in the butt, for one. They wanted a definite number of visitors for each day, which I was unable to provide seeing as we don't know if everyone will be able to go yet. Plus, we would be sharing the space with other parties at the same time; not good if we want to get up to late night shenanigans. I did offer that we had a tent for people who were outside the number of beds booked, but that was not allowed. Moreover, they said we'd be responsible for our own luggage being kept separate from other people's and they wouldn't be held responsible for any thefts. Which worried me a lot.

The holiday cottage people were nicer with me and said they're flexible with the numbers. Technically it only houses 12, but we would be free to put sleeping bags etc in the living room and elsewhere, plus the tent if needed. Moreover, we'll be on our own and can be as loud and silly as we like.
They also have some included entertainment systems, stereo system, radio, DVD player, internet access (wireless broadband) and so on. We will be in good shape, I think.

The people gave me a special discount because we're booking for two whole weeks. The full price will be £1,600, minus the £400 deposit I just paid. (Thanks to all you that donated to the deposit fund!), leaving £1,100 left to pay by the 14th of May.
I'll reboot the Indegogo Campaign once it has run its course and we can start chipping in again. I don't want anyone to feel pressured into donating more than they can afford, so we'll try and get as close as possible before the date, but anything after will still be helpful. I hope this is okay with everyone.

I know some of you were set on the bunk barns and I tried to get them, but in the end I couldn't do it. I hope this is just as good in the end. Please don't kill me!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
*Applause, applause, applause!!!

Thanks for going through all that work for us, Hooky!! I for one really appreciate your planning and preparation and look forward very much to coming! The cottage looks great and it will be nice to have it to ourselves. It will be fun to explore an area of England that is new to me!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #17
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Bahaha this is the one I liked anyway! Though I now feel even worse about forgetting to send you money. *ducks* I will rectify this at the weekend when school finishes. Thank you Hook!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #18
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Fantastic!!! I was very near here last Wednesday, I went over to Newark and Southwell. It's a lovely area with loads to see and Notts people are lovely. You'll have to accept everyone will call you 'Duck' and 'Flower'. There's a very nice pub and old church in the village and it's very close to Sherwood for Ent spotting.

Street View Link

I have also done a quick look up for travel. There are two bus services in the village almost outside the cottage, the 14 (Stagecoach) which runs to Mansfield each hour and the 36 (YourBus) which runs to Retford each hour. I note, no buses on Sundays though. Retford is on the line for Kings Cross and it's a very quick trip. It's also on the line for Sheffield, Worksop and Doncaster where you can make other changes. Mansfield is on the line for Nottingham where you can change for St Pancras and Loughborough (which is 17 minutes). If anyone has travel queries I'm happy to look them up.

Last edited by Lalwendë; 03-26-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote