The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Now I'm not quite sure whether this topic belongs in this forum, but the reasoning is simple - since I would like to inquire about a video game, and video games (quality ones) bring mirth to yours truly, I assume therefore it should belong in here (though the game style being RPG, I had my doubts... )

The gist of the topic is as follows: whoever has already played that game, can you share your impressions - since being a proud owner of recently updated PC, and having had one round of intensive Skyrim playing over now (the second round being somewhat slacker), I now ponder would it be a good investment to pay 30$ for the item thus titled

Apart from general gameplay (whether it is enjoyable at all) I would be mightily curious to learn also how much of Lord of the Rings is really retained in the game

I might have turned to gaming forums for gamers' impressions, o'course, but would like to learn opinion of Tolkien readers for this particular case rather

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I have the game and have just recently raided Mount Gundabad. Most of the game is supposed to be set during and after the Fellowship leave Rivendell. The thing I like best is the visual scenery of the game a lot of it you will recognise from the films...Narsil is shown. Going through Fornost looks like a once great ruined city and you meet the Sons of Elrond here, prior to this you are in a very rainy Bree where you meet Barliman and Strider. Once at Rivendell you meet Elrond, Arwen, Gloin, Bilbo and some of the Fellowship before they leave. So far I've encountered a mixture of real and unreal Tolkien characters, and the same goes with the storyline, I'm now on my way to meet Radagast......... but to stop sometimes and stare at Middle-earth is worth it.

Oh and by the way maybe the computer/board games should have it's own section, my house is full of them, and I also play The One Ring on Facebook.

Last edited by narfforc; 01-10-2012 at 09:13 AM.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Be nice to have at least a thread about games. I've never played any of the computer games, to be honest, though I've been tempted by some and not known where to begin in terms of quality. I've stuck in the past to using custom Tolkien themed content on Sims games to amuse myself.

However, we've got loads of the board games (both based on the books and the films) and I'd love to know what anyone else thinks of them. Meanwhile, back to the Doctor Who game on my DS...I'm stuck on a fiendish level
Old 01-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hi Lal I have most of the modern computer games, my reason for playing them is that they are just another portal (visually) into another amazing world. The artwork in many is stunning, and until they do a complete 3D mapping of Middle-earth (which will happen) this is all we have.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I haven't gotten very far yet, only two or so hours into it. So far there hasn't been anything completely ridiculous and out of place in the game. As narfforc said, there's a mix of real and unreal characters. It is very graphically pleasing. I've played plenty of other LOTR games. This one has the most immersing world by far.

I agree there should be a game section. I just got a LOTR board game that I find impossible to win that I'd love discuss.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I finished it last night...... I won't spoil it for you... but I enjoyed playing it, what I will say is that you get to keep all your upgrades when you start again on a higher level. By the way Kitanna what is the board game?
Old 01-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc View Post
Hi Lal I have most of the modern computer games, my reason for playing them is that they are just another portal (visually) into another amazing world. The artwork in many is stunning, and until they do a complete 3D mapping of Middle-earth (which will happen) this is all we have.
Imagine....a version of Google Street View. In Middle-earth.

One of the board games I particularly like as it's non-competitive and you must work together rather than against each other in order to win. And it's very difficult to win. But my favourite is the Trivia one with the John Howe artwork.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė View Post
One of the board games I particularly like as it's non-competitive and you must work together rather than against each other in order to win.
That's the one I just bought. Haven't won yet.

Narfforc, here is a product link for it.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:59 AM   #9
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Thanks folks, I'm inclined to give it a try after all I've read, thanks for helping me along

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yes I have that game also...
Old 01-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
That's the one I just bought. Haven't won yet.

Narfforc, here is a product link for it.
That's a fab game. It's the one where you have to co-operate in order to win, and it's fun for people who don't know the books too. Another good point in favour of that one is that there are four expansion board games you can add to it - we've got the 'Friends & Foes' one. So when you get tired with the original, you can spice up your game a bit by adding an expansion.

A fantastic little game is The Duel. One reason I like this one is davem rarely wins it but aside from that, it's not time consuming and you can easily pop it in a bag.

If anyone is ever in London for a visit, after you've been in the Forbidden Planet megastore on Shaftesbury Avenue (why wouldn't you want to go to the best geek shop in the world?), pop down the road to Orcs' Nest and look at their range of games.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #12
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I got the Sauron expansion set...... my problem is I have no-one to play it with. I also have The Confrontation and The War of the ring board games done by the same people, along with Stratego and Risk Lord of the Rings Editions.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc View Post
I got the Sauron expansion set...... my problem is I have no-one to play it with. I also have The Confrontation and The War of the ring board games done by the same people, along with Stratego and Risk Lord of the Rings Editions.
I wonder if you could play them online or remotely in some way? People do this with games of chess, don't they?

Maybe not the War Of The Ring one. It takes about two hours just to set up the board...
Old 01-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
Kitanna
Child of the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė View Post
I wonder if you could play them online or remotely in some way? People do this with games of chess, don't they?

Maybe not the War Of The Ring one. It takes about two hours just to set up the board...
If it was possible to do just the base game (that's all I have) I would play an online game. Most of the game is reading the painful scenarios that happen on your quest.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
I could never say no to a LOTR Game thread. I have War in the North as well, but I have set it aside for awhile.

I have been attempting at playing this LOTR game that puts you in the place of one of the five hobbits on your quest through Middle Earth to destroy the ring. It has really interesting concepts, and you play against the board. The ringbearer has the risk of dealing with Sauron and his minions, and increasing his corruption of the ring.