The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2003, 08:46 PM   #41
Bulelainwen
Animated Skeleton

Bulelainwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bulelainwen
Sting

Hello
Personally for me I think it would be best for some place in the Houston (Texas) Area. Though I'm not sure how this idea would exactly pass with my parents. I think this it would be best for sometime in August because of vacations in June and July (and sometimes early early august) that most people take.
Bulelainwen
Bulelainwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 09:50 PM   #42
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I vote to have it any time that there is no snow on the ground.
Of course... I can only come if a car becomes part of my life this summer *crosses fingers*
A car, and enough money to travel... when you come out of college your are quite in the hole.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:44 AM   #43
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Oh, don't be silly Tigerlily. I'm in my junior year, and I'm keeping pace with car payments and such just fine [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . Then again, I've always been very lucky.

Hey, why doesn't everybody post again and say what month (or months) would be the best for you and I'll add that to the first post next to your name. Remember, I want which months work for you, not ones that you think would work for others. Let me know your complete availability if possible.

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: the phantom ]
Old 02-13-2003, 10:11 AM   #44
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Summer for me! Well, maybe May would work also.

(And not everyone has as easy a time keeping up with bills as you do, Philip. Give me your scholarships, and I bet I could keep up too!)
Old 02-13-2003, 02:50 PM   #45
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I can meet in July or August.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:34 PM   #46
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Since when was Texas considered a part of the Midwest? Or any state south of Missouri and west of Iowa for that matter!?
Old 02-13-2003, 11:31 PM   #47
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Yes, Texas usually isn't really considered part of the mid-west, but Iowa certainly isn't the limit as far as a western border goes. I've always seen for sure Kansas and Nebraska included in the definition of mid-west.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:33 AM   #48
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Question

Quote:
Since when was Texas considered a part of the Midwest?
Quote:
Texas usually isn't really considered part of the mid-west
And where exactly would you consider Texas, pray tell? More to the point: Must I start an exclusive and discriminatory thread for only Texans? As I said on Gilthalion's The South (Farthing) Shall Rise Again!,

Quote:
One of the things that makes Texas interesting is how it is so difficult to be categorized. Is Texas part of the Midwest? South? Southwest?
My apologies, I certainly do not want the tone of this post to indicate that I am offended. red and the phantom, you have both made a very true point. But the Downers in Texas as of now truly have no other place to post; especially, when I first posted on this thread the only other options were the East and West Coasts. Furthermore, I have not seen enough Texans interested in meeting to warrant opening an exclusive thread. Please don't kick us out of the Midwest!
Old 02-14-2003, 04:28 PM   #49
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

We wouldn't dream of kicking you out!! We love Texans (well I do anyway)!! More than half my family lives there. I was merely agreeing with red that Texas is not what pops into people's heads when they hear "mid-west".

Remember, I'm the one who wanted to include Texas in the definition of mid-west from the get-go (as can be seen in my thread title).
Old 02-14-2003, 05:40 PM   #50
red
Spirit of Mischief

Sting

Quote:
Please don't kick us out of the Midwest!
I'm not kicking you out. You were never there to begin with. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I rarely should be taken seriously.

What would I consider Texas? Hmm...? South or southwest probably. Kansas and Nebraska are more central US or plains states. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Not to rain on your parade too much, but you do realize that the chances of these get-togethers ever happening are slim. Keep in mind many of the people posting are still living with mom and dad.

[ February 14, 2003: Message edited by: red ]
Old 02-14-2003, 11:35 PM   #51
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Where are you from red? How do we know you belong in this thread?

Wait just a minute here. Nebraska and Kansas are central US where as Illinois, Iowa, and such are mid-west??? That makes absolutely no sense!!

How can the mid-WEST states be to the EAST of the CENTRAL states??!!

All the people I know here in Nebraska refer to themselves as mid-westerners. Businesses around here call themselves "midwest this" and "midwest that", and I recall that my geography text book also grouped us with the mid-west. They must have a different definition where you're from.

And maybe the chances are slim for a get-together, but the chances are none if you don't try. I, for one, plan on getting together with some fellow downers this summer, even if it's only three or four.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:48 PM   #52
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

Why can't Texas just have its own little region thing? I mean, I live in Texas, but I still don't know if it's in central US or the midwest or what! I'm confused!!(but that's not saying much)

Gig 'em Aggies!!
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 09:10 AM   #53
red
Spirit of Mischief

Sting

Haha! You're right! Texas is so big, it might as well be its own region! Neat state, btw. I enjoyed my visits.

In case you missed this little part of American History, the term "midwest" was applied to the region around the Great Lakes (which was also the Northwest for a while!!) and the areas just south and west early in our country's development when the western frontier was still wild and crazy. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Back then it really was the mid-west. The name somehow stuck.

Gosh, didn't expect this to become a history lesson.

Can't remember who asked, but I'm from Michigan. Spent several years in Iowa and a few in Indiana. So I've been all over the "midwest"! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2003, 02:33 PM   #54
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Oh, I'm perfectly aware of how and when those states got dubbed the mid-west, it's just that I've always seen a few other states lumped in there with them, because as countries expand, regional labels don't stay rigid in their definition.

Yes, I have seen us called the central states before, but in those instances, the term mid-west wasn't used for those other states, because the authors of the geo-book assumed that some people would be confused by having the mid-west to the east of central (and it makes more sense to define geographical regions using geography rather than history).

So all I'm saying is that I've never seen the terms central US and mid-west US used together on the same map (never in my books anyway) because of the obvious contradiction to normal rules of geography. You can call us plains states if you wish, but if you're using the term mid-west, then I've always seen at least Nebraska included.

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: the phantom ]
Old 02-15-2003, 06:42 PM   #55
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

May, June or mid-August would probably be best for me; July is for traveling (really trying to get to Turkey...kind of antsy about that, though).

Texas is its own phenomenon, isn't it? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (No offense, Nuranar and anyone else). I think the confusion comes from the fact that Texas actually was its own country for about ten years, back in the 19th century, and psychologically neither it nor the rest of the country has ever *quite* adjusted [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].
Old 02-15-2003, 08:40 PM   #56
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Silmaril

Kalimac, being a phenomenon is no cause for offense! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And thank you for pointing out that except for Hawaii, Texas is the only state to have ever been a nation. And they had to fight a war to make it so. Incidentally, I am a direct descendant of Samuel A. Maverick, who signed the Texas Declaration of Independence. Thus my roots go deep - at least some branches (Hurrah for mixed metaphors!) I believe Texans have a reputation for what I shall euphemistically term "pride" in their state. Thus I apologize for any contention my previous post may have aroused, hoping my ancestry and life-long residency excuse me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Various responses on this thread and on others have lead me to believe that there are more Texans on the Downs than I first thought. Should I open a Texas or South Central thread? Please post a reply or PM me if your interested. Starting a forum and having no responses is like giving a party and having no one come - I'm not anxious for that to happen. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: Nuranar ]
Old 02-19-2003, 09:13 AM   #57
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

BW, Sharku, Mr Underhill and I have been monitoring this thread and others like it. While we understand why members would want to meet one another, we are a bit concerned and wish to emphasize that care must be taken if you choose to arrange such a meeting.

First, the Barrow-Downs itself is not involved in organizing such meetings and does not intend to be in the future. These meetings are arranged by individuals or groups of individuals and we take no responsibility for the outcome. The decision to meet is made by individual members at their own risk. We are not providing transportation, accomodations or security and are not involved in the choice of locale or the agenda.

If you choose to meet, individually or in groups, please think it through, plan carefully and be careful! Meet in public with other persons present. Make sure that others know where you are going and who you are meeting. Think twice before providing personal information to other members such as e-mail addresses, telephone numbers or home addresses and do not send anyone money or credit card information.

We're sorry to throw a wet blanket over this but we are concerned about peoples' safety and want to emphasize that this is not an "official", sanctioned event sponsored by the Barrow-Downs. If you choose to meet, good luck and we hope that you enjoy yourselves. But please be careful!
Old 02-19-2003, 09:33 AM   #58
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Will do. (don't be too worried about me though, I've been practicing my kung fu [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

Seriously, though, thanks much for your warning, it shows that the moderators here care about the safety of their members.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:01 PM   #59
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Thank you, Mithadan - not to worry, I'm pretty close about giving out the touchy kind of information. A busy museum in daytime seems like a fairly reasonable spot, and of course we'll all let people know where we're going. But thanks for the words, and no, we're not holding you accountable [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].
Old 03-03-2003, 10:10 AM   #60
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Okay. No one's replied for a while, so I decided to get this going again.

People can continue to jump on board as it gets closer to summer, but later this week or early next week I'd like to go ahead and start coming up with some possibilities for dates and times. I'm sure most of you would like to know plans far in advance because of tight scheduling.

Right now, August is looking like the best month. After that would be either June or July.

On the outskirts we have four Texans in the south and up in the northwest we have one from Idaho. Everybody else is easily within driving distance of a few central locations such as Chicago, Milwaukee, or maybe St Louis (I say easily within driving distance, but I go on a lot of long road trips, so maybe it doesn't seem that close to others).

Anyway, we'll see if anyone else joins the thread in the next few days. If not, we'll just just start planning with what we have now.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:50 PM   #61
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

I would like to make a suggestion from what Mithaden has said. When we decide the right day and time to meet, maybe we should keep the exact location between us. Using PM to determine where to meet might be a bit safer. What do you think, phantom?
Old 03-03-2003, 05:10 PM   #62
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Agreed.

We can discuss possible places and times on the thread for a bit, but after getting a feel for the way things are going, I'll make a proposal via PM to all of the people on this thread, and they can PM me back voicing their support (or displeasure) for the date/time, and so on until we get it right.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:19 AM   #63
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmmmm i don't know if i'm too late or anything but i am going to be in utah during september and milwakee (is that how you spell it?) so uh yeah theres my two cents [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

but hmmmmm that seems to be a bit too north and a bit too west for your plans, well let me know any way please [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ March 04, 2003: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 03-04-2003, 08:59 AM   #64
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Well, I would let you know, but I'm not sure I understand your post. Do you mean that in September you're going to be in both Utah and Milwaukee? (well, I realize it wouldn't be right at the same exact time, that would be quite difficult [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

What should I put your location as? (in other words, what state are you usually in, considering the summer months look like the most likely time to meet, as opposed to September, when most of us will be in school)
Old 03-05-2003, 12:02 PM   #65
Lady_Báin
Wight

Sting

Well there has been a change of plans on my part, I will be in utah for july. There, completely solid plan [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].

p.s. i don't live in the U.S. but i have family in utah that i visit in the summers.
(just ya know f.y.i.)

[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]

Heloooooooo anybody there? *echos* there....there....there

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 03-11-2003, 10:45 AM   #66
Lady_Báin
Wight

Sting

um well i'm just trying to sort of bump this up so i can get some attention [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] just kidding, but seriously is anyone going to contact me on the progression of this thing ??
Old 03-11-2003, 01:17 PM   #67
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Of course we'll tell you [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] .

Okay, let's go ahead and start voting on possible times and places.

Everyone post what dates in August work for you (eg 1-6/15-24). If August doesn't work, say so.

Then give a yes or no for the following locations (whether or not you would be able to go there at any time, doesn't have to be in August).

1) Milwaukee
2) Chicago
3) St Louis
4) Nashville
5) Kansas City
6) Oklahoma City
7) Indianapolis
8) Omaha
9) Austin
10) Dallas

I'm hoping that everyone who has replied to this thread thus far will cast a vote (crosses fingers). After we get some responses, I'll start posting a tally.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:04 PM   #68
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

Well, here is my availability, and anytime in August before the 20th is great.

1) Milwaukee - yes
2) Chicago - yes
3) St Louis - yes
4) Nashville - yes
5) Kansas City - hmmm.?
6) Oklahoma City - no
7) Indianapolis - yes
8) Omaha - no
9) Austin - no
10) Dallas - no
Old 03-12-2003, 01:02 AM   #69
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Hi Phantom,

My plans for August have just been changed - bleah! I will be in Denver in late July/August, and my kids start school in mid-August, which will preclude traveling.

For the record, normally Kansas City and Omaha are the most feasible locations for me.

I hope others are able to get together, though.

Alphaelin
Old 03-12-2003, 08:28 AM   #70
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

There's a weekend in early August that I'll be unavailable (I think it's around the 6th or 8th). Other than that, I'm good up until school starts (whenever that is, but you start the same time I do, so I won't bother looking it up).

As far as the locations go...
1) Milwaukee YES
2) Chicago YES
3) St Louis YES
4) Nashville MAYBE
5) Kansas City YES
6) Oklahoma City YES
7) Indianapolis YES
8) Omaha YES
9) Austin MAYBE
10) Dallas MAYBE
Old 03-17-2003, 06:57 PM   #71
BethoHOG
Haunting Spirit

BethoHOG has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BethoHOG
Sting

Not like I'll end up going to any convention or anything, but I'm from Texas... howdy y'all. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 10:37 AM   #72
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

I just wanted to bump this up in hopes of getting some more people interested.

By the way, when are you available, phantom?
Old 03-24-2003, 11:39 AM   #73
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I am available in August on the following dates: 1-6/11-24

1) Milwaukee yes
2) Chicago yes
3) St Louis yes
4) Nashville yes
5) Kansas City yes
6) Oklahoma City yes
7) Indianapolis yes
8) Omaha yes
9) Austin probably
10) Dallas probably
Old 03-24-2003, 05:10 PM   #74
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Question

I can can not go anywhere during August. For me, that is when school starts. But I can go somewhere in June/July.

1) Milwaukee NO
2) Chicago MAYBE, CLOSER TO A NO
3) St Louis NO
4) Nashville NO
5) Kansas City YES, CAN'T STAY FOR LONG
6) Oklahoma City YES, CAN'T STAY FOR LONG
7) Indianapolis YES
8) Omaha YES
9) Austin MAYBE
10) Dallas YES

Dallas is definately the best for me, it's really close to where I live.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:13 PM   #75
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Okay, I'll go ahead and start posting results of our voting. I'm only going to put people who've given a definite answer. I'll post an update every so often.

And don't be discouraged, you non-August people. It might end up being another month, so don't go away.

who?---------------August works?-----dates?

the phantom-------------YES---------1-6/11-24
alaklondewen------------YES-----------1-19
alphaelin-----------------NO
lord of dor-lomin---------YES---------1-7/11-24?
eressie ailin---------------NO

Location?---------YES----NO

1) Milwaukee-------3------1
2) Chicago---------3------1
3) St Louis---------3------1
4) Nashville--------2------1
5) Kansas City-----3------0
6) Oklahoma City---3------1
7) Indianapolis-----4------0
8) Omaha----------3------1
9) Austin----------0------1
10) Dallas---------1------1

(sorry the columns aren't straight, I couldn't get them to work for the life of me)
Old 03-25-2003, 01:12 AM   #76
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Hm, I'm jumping in a little late, but I'm in Indiana (north western corner to be precise) year-round, and I think this little plan sounds delightful-- especially if a visit to diamond's sacred relics can be worked in [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] As for dates in August preferably in the first two/three weeks and for locations:
1) Milwaukee yes
2) Chicago yes
3) St Louis yes
4) Nashville no
5) Kansas City no
6) Oklahoma City no
7) Indianapolis yes
8) Omaha no
9) Austin definately not
10) Dallas definately not

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 01:12 AM   #77
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I'm really going to try to push my family into vacationing in Texas this year (I've never been there and I would like to go). If I can convince them, perhaps I'll take a detour and meet you guys. If I do go anywhere this summer, it'll be in August.

For now, I'll do a whole bunch of begging. The only reason my parents would say no is because of money reasons (dumb economy).
Old 03-25-2003, 01:16 AM   #78
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Question

So far, Indianapolis seems to work out the best. I go up there every summer, but I still don't have my schedule planned out so I don't know how long I'll be staying.

PLEASE don't do it in August!!
Old 03-25-2003, 02:12 AM   #79
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

1) Milwaukee --> MAYBE
2) Chicago --> definite YES
3) St Louis --> NO
4) Nashville --> MAYBE
5) Kansas City --> NO
6) Oklahoma City --> NO
7) Indianapolis -->MAYBE
8) Omaha --> NO
9) Austin --> NO
10) Dallas --> NO

Sorry, I have fewer options that most because of car issues.

[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 06:59 AM   #80
Lady_Báin
Wight

Sting

okay... 11th-24th august or anytime after the 11th
1) Milwaukee-------yes
2) Chicago---------yes
3) St Louis--------yes
4) Nashville-------no