The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-12-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
ME names for girls

My wife and I are expecting our second daughter in Sept and we are thinking of names. I would like ideas on ME names from you. They don't have to be specific names from books but I like the sound of some of them. One that I like a lot is Rian. My wife thinks it's okay but not sold on it yet, so if I could get a good stockpile of acceptable names it might help my cause.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Aww, congratulations! The first name that came into my mind is Elanor. I think it's a very nice name but it isn't too obvious. Are you looking for something Elvish or rather a Hobbit-like name?
Old 05-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well I like many Elvish names but I have a German last name so it's kind of too harsh sounding for such a name but I would like those ideas too. Let's just leave out Orcs and Dwarfs for our selection
Old 05-12-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Poor old Dis! Rejected!

How about Lalaith, which of course means laughter?
Old 05-12-2005, 12:24 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Congratulations!

As long as you stay away from the obvious (and included in the films!) Arwen/Galadriel and Eowyn.. I think it is a nice idea.

If you want something that isn't obviously ME but you know it has an elvish meaning there are things like Linda (beautiful ) and Lorna (asleep!) or Laure (golden). Rianna is "crowned/wreathed" in Quenya and is very close to the welsh name Rhiannon.

Or you could try and translate something into elvish....

http://home.netcom.com/~heensle/lang/elvish/elvish.html

Or how about Melian? Tolkien name, not too obvious oroutlandish and a lovely meaning for a baby "Dear gift"?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
As long as you stay away from the obvious (and included in the films!) Arwen/Galadriel and Eowyn.. I think it is a nice idea

Yes I am avoiding the obvious names and I thank all for your suggestions keep them coming.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:39 PM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I remember I was at a carnival and there was a marching band who had their names on their shirts... and while in many ways Eowyn is a fine role model ... I couldn't help but think "poor girl"...

Old 05-12-2005, 12:47 PM   #8
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I remember I was at a carnival and there was a marching band who had their names on their shirts... and while in many ways Eowyn is a fine role model ... I couldn't help but think "poor girl"...

Agreed, especially post movies.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:00 PM   #9
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Congratulations!

My wife would not allow any ME names for our children. Also, never thinking that I would have a daughter (they don't run in the family and my first was male), I'd given the dog my first choice for a girl's name. With two subsequent daughters, various attempts to change the dog's name were met with cold stares, especially from the mother-in-law.

I also suggested Xena, but no one thought that was a good choice either...sigh.

Anyway, think about (or, via ultrasound, look at) the new child, or the circumstances under which she will be born and work from there. If your first's disposition is pleasant, then you might want to work in a 'mor' as my experience has been that each successive child is the opposite of the proceeding one.

And 18 years from now, just who is going to remember that 'Eowyn' was a movie name anyway...

Cheers!
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:23 PM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I saw the girl named Eowyn in 1989........ there will still be an awful lot of people who know.. like the incident Terry Pratchett who finally coaxed the name Galadriel from a muttered request for the dedication at a booksigning. He asked the business suited woman if she had been born on a cannabis plantation in Wales and she answered that actually it had been a caravan in Cornwall but he was thinking on the right lines...

Personally I think Faramir is a great name .... so it is probably just as well I am childless.... I was so disappointed when friends declined to call their twins Elladan and Elrohir....

Old 05-12-2005, 01:27 PM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar

Anyway, think about (or, via ultrasound, look at) the new child, or the circumstances under which she will be born and work from there. If your first's disposition is pleasant, then you might want to work in a 'mor' as my experience has been that each successive child is the opposite of the proceeding one.

Hmph - well I am sure my parents didn't look at the meanings but it so happens that my elder sister's name means "sweetness" whereas my middle name means "bitterness" ..... and I don't want to live up to my name but really .... it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo unfair!!!!

Old 05-12-2005, 02:31 PM   #12
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

You could give her a name that's normal, but has an alternate Elvish meaning. Like Beth is short for Elizabeth "oath of God," but means in Elvish "word."

Or Laurel could be named after the tree, or in Elvish it means "golden-star."

Or Anna is "grace" in Latin, and "gift" in Elvish.

Or Linda, means "tender, sweet" but "singer" in Elvish.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:33 PM   #13
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Congratulations to you and your family!

How about Miriel?
Old 05-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #14
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I always campaign for Arthurian names. And my father is called Fram! As it happens, it's not Fram of Scatha fame but short for Framroze, a Persian name...still, I remember finding it hilarious to find my father, no Tolkienite, credited with slaying a Dragon in the Appendices...
Old 05-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #15
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I've always thought that Lorien would make a lovely girls name.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:14 PM   #16
mormegil
Maundering Mage

So far so good. I am compliling a list to submit to my wife for possible consideration. After I get past that phase I will move into campaign mode.

ps. we have given each other automatic veto power. If she doesn't like a name she can say no and it's not up for consideration and I can do likewise.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:10 PM   #17
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
many congrats

What about the name Estel? Or Estelle. I know it's not strictly a girl's name, but I think it's quite pretty, even if only used as a middle name. It's coming up with this stuff that makes me want to have kids in like ten billion years. Or just come up with new RP characters. Either way.

Fea
Old 05-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #18
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
It's not actually Tolkien...in fact it's only Tolkien hidden in normal names...but you could name her Anna-Marie. Double names like that are fairly common, and both names are perfectly fine on their own. This particular combination though has 'namarie' in it (Anna-Marie). Farewell may not be the best thing for a name to mean, but it is pretty sounding...and gives you an excuse to sing her that song, as well as not being obviously Tolkien related. If you don't like it that's fine too, I just like things that are hidden in plain view...they seem much more special than things advertised to the world.

Either Way Congratulations.

*edit* Apologies...my friend just informed me that 'namarie' is not said 'nah-mah-ree', as she says it (thank you very much friend) but 'nah-mah-ree-ay'. My apologies again for my ignorance of the pronunciation differences, though if you still want just the word the spelling remains the same (and this is embarassingly backwards for me...ususally I'm good with pronunciation but unable to even spell my name...). Ah-Well...Congratulations again.

Last edited by Shelob; 05-12-2005 at 07:52 PM.
Shelob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:25 AM   #19
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
So far so good. I am compliling a list to submit to my wife for possible consideration. After I get past that phase I will move into campaign mode.

ps. we have given each other automatic veto power. If she doesn't like a name she can say no and it's not up for consideration and I can do likewise.
Note that you might want to keep your choices secret. My wife was all for naming our third 'Eliza' until our mothers heard of our choice (it was for Eliza Dolittle). This threw a wrench into matters as by the time the baby arrived we had no acceptable name - my second choice again was to usurp the dog's name.

Two days after her birth I finally said "whatever" and our daughter was named by committee.

P.S. Note that two children is not like 2X the work; it's more like 1.5X as you already are parents and have been through the first cold, first earache, first bleeding wound, etc. You already have functioned for days without sleep and so have learned basic survival skills. And, with two, you still can apply man-to-man coverage. With three, we've had to move to a zone defensive strategy ("I'll cover the two in the bathroom while you get the one down off of the table...").

Last edited by alatar; 05-13-2005 at 08:30 AM.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #20
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Congratulations on the coming daughter!

There is Gilraen (mother of Aragorn), and Fíriel, who married King Arvedui. Personally I like Ríanna. A couple I knew that posted on TORC named their daughter Luthien Tinuviel
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:55 AM   #21
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Congratulations!!!

What about Nellas? The elf-woman who looked after Túrin in Doriath. I've always liked the name and Nellas doesn't sound/look so stupid with a German last name, I think..
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:34 AM   #22
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Silmarien is beautiful, but maybe too close to Silmaril.

Nimloth is lovely, though it might seem odd in German, perhaps...

Nenar, one of the stars?

Lindorie, a Numenorean noblewoman?

Ilmare, Varda's handmaid?

Arien, the Maia who drives the sun, of course?
Old 05-16-2005, 06:42 AM   #23
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
1420!

Congratulations!

I always took pride in my Tolkien like name. Vanessa. two of my most common nicknames are Nessa and Vana, two of the Valier. The meaning of my name is Butterfly, elven word Wilwarin, which is the constelation Casseiopia made by Varda.

Anna is a good idea, it means "gift" in Quenya.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:43 AM   #24
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
Congrats on the bundel of joy to come!!

How about Leyna it is a feminine name that is derived from Old German and it means Little angel. It will go well with the German last name... As long as its not rumpelstiltskin! (hehehehe) Sorry i cant help it!

Or Liona its an Italian name though and it means Lioness.

how about Mira it is derived from Latin, Spanish; Hebrew and it means Wonder; Aim; Light of God.

My personel favorite: Vida is Latin and it means Life.

maybe you should find out what kind of name your wife would like (along the lines of) and then you can both be happy...

hope your search is fruitful...
what about middle names?
________
UGGS

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:39 PM   #25
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up Congrats!

Quote:
I've always thought that Lorien would make a lovely girls name.
I second that. I plan to name my daughter Lorien, if I have one.

My friend said she wanted to name her daughter Anduin.

Nim
Old 07-02-2005, 11:03 PM   #26
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing spawn of ungoliant
Aww, congratulations! The first name that came into my mind is Elanor.
Me, too. Beauty and strength come to my mind when I hear 'Elanor'.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:55 AM   #27
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Congrats again. And I also think Elanor sounds nice - and it's not blatantly Tolkien either.

Rosie is another inconspicuous one I like.

I suppose Finduilas is out of the question.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:19 AM   #28
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Congratulations Morm!

I think Rian is a beautiful name so if your wife hasn't vetoed it then keep trying.

If not then maybe Elena - which is pretty mainstream and means 'of the stars'.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:34 AM   #29
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
You could translate any ordinary name into Quenya or Sindarin. At http://www.elvish.org/elm/names.html there's a big list of names translated into Quenya.

Also, the Latin word for life is vita , not vida . However, the verb videre means to see .

Last edited by Alcarillo; 07-08-2005 at 11:37 AM.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #30
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Okay we just found out that we are having another girl! I guess I just keep handing out the X chromosome. Anyway the naming battle is on. Sadly, if it were a boy, we agreed, to some degree, on Beren. I'm still trying for Rian but I have my wife thinking about Miriel and Arien as she doesn't love Rian...yet!
Old 04-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #31
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Ooh, another baby! Must be it's spring.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #32
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ah but mormegil - what greater blessing could a man have than to be like the Old Took and have Three remarkable daughters. ..exept to have enough bathrooms to ensure the minimum squabbling between the daughters...

Old 04-08-2008, 02:53 AM   #33
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Morm, looking back at your previous request, I noticed that we never got to hear the result - and now the quest continues! Will you divulge whether Daughter the Second found a ME name?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:38 AM   #34
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Morm, looking back at your previous request, I noticed that we never got to hear the result - and now the quest continues! Will you divulge whether Daughter the Second found a ME name?
My question exactly.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:31 AM   #35
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post

*sigh* Negative. I love her name, Sidney, as my middle name is Sid but it's not a M-e name. I will continue to try, however.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:26 AM   #36
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
When thinking about names for my first daughter, I recalled Frodo's advice to Sam when his and Rosie's first child was born.

Frodo advised Sam to choose a flower name, in keeping with Hobbit tradition.
I'm English, so following Frodo's advice I chose a traditional English name for my daughter. I named her Elizabeth.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #37
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selmo View Post
When thinking about names for my first daughter, I recalled Frodo's advice to Sam when his and Rosie's first child was born.

Frodo advised Sam to choose a flower name, in keeping with Hobbit tradition.
I'm English, so following Frodo's advice I chose a traditional English name for my daughter. I named her Elizabeth.
If you had gone for George's other daughter, Selmo, you could have got both traditional English and traditional hobbish: Margaret Rose. Lots of noble Margarets, although I suppose no majesties.

"Laurel" might suit a floral theme without being too florid. Then if your next is male, you could call him "Hardy." (Oh, wait, on perusing past posts here I see 'Laurel' was already suggested. Do you ever refer to your other two daughters as "Sid and the kid"?

What is your first daughter's name? I suppose somehow the three names ought to be compatible (without being similar) so none feels out of place, so to speak?

Apparently in times of war the number of boy babies slightly increases. Perhaps your feminine fecunity brings happy tidings of peace. Congratulations!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #38
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Hey congratulations morm! I love Rian, keep trying to convince your wife on that one.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #39
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
If you had gone for George's other daughter, Selmo, you could have got both traditional English and traditional hobbish: Margaret Rose. Lots of noble Margarets, although I suppose no majesties.
Surely noble names have a tendency to be more international, where as the proletarian names would be more bound by traditions of the local area?

Not that I really know anything about this.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #40
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Congrats morm!

I agree that Rian is lovely. Keep on trying for that.

The flower theme is a nice idea as well. A little like it, Lotë (quenya for flower, I guess) might make a pretty name, and might even look fine with a German surname (actually it resembles the German girl's name Lotte (like the woman in Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Werther...) ) especially if you removed the ¨ from the e.

Also Nessa might not sound bad or too "obviously Tolkien".
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote