The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 08:44 PM   #521
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

Lila, looking for Paladin names? When you said Locke, I immediately thought "thief" (oops, sorry, treasure hunter [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) In one of my RPG games (FFII) There was a Paladin, his name was Cyrus, I think. I might have to go back and check. Anyways, I agree with you. Names must be absolutely perfect. It's probably why I'm always looking at the names I have and musing over them for so long.
Quote:
Do you wait for the Muse to strike? Do you have to? How often does She strike? and why the heck is she absent so much?
Not really. Sometimes. Often (depends) and because she probably wants me to finish writing what she told me to the last time she visited. ^.^ Actually, when I have writer's block, it's as if my mind won't let her in. I get inklings of ideas, just little ones, but then they're gone way too fast before I can muse over them. Meh.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:59 PM   #522
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Goodness, I haven't been here for ages. I'm lost. Below are some answers to questions that occurred in the last few pages.

Inspiration and spending time on the story
Sadly, I do not spend the majority of my time working or thinking about my story. My unfortunate writing habit is that I think up a beginning and perhaps middle of the story, then write and just let the characters come out and do whatever my hands tell them to do. Naturally I make some corrections, i.e. spelling, grammar, and literary devices, but most of the time I'm just writing whatever comes out of me. I'm sort of "on the go" or "in the flow." This way I don't really get writer's block. I pay attention to what I'm doing, but in a way, I'm not really thinking. I guess you could say that my subconscious, or soul, or whatever term may be used to describe it, is writing for me, instead of my head and my logic. Then, the flow stops, and that's writer's block. Sometimes it only stops for an instant--I like to think of it as an unfinished dam with water rushing through it in a flood--and the ideas, characters, settings, and different plots all come back. I describe writer's block as a dam that is finished, completed, cemented, very strong, and only when the high tide comes will it fall down and the ideas rush in. Then the tide ebbs, and that's my process of elimination--"Oh, no, that's a totally crazy idea not fit for the story at all," or "My gosh, that's great! Why didn't I think of it before?" Of course, there's always experiences that affect the story too. Sometimes experiences give you writer's block, and sometimes they make the tide of ideas stronger. I've had a lot of experiences and discoveries lately, and it's given me quite a bout of writer's block. Ergh.

When does my Muse come? Hmm, well...sometimes when I'm practicing my musical instruments, sometimes when I read something and my mind just wanders off to what I'll write, when I write in my journal and can't think of anything to say...basically, when no other aspect of my life is interesting or is calling for attention, or when I am just too lazy to go practice my instruments or prepare for the SATs. Paper is always available to me, and usually this computer is too, so sometimes I just start a file and begin writing. When I take long car trips (in which my father is driving) I bring a binder and write--not specifically my fantasy novel, but ideas that have been bugging me and have prevented me from finishing this or other works.

The story of how I decided to write a fantasy novel is quite interesting, though. I saw this thread, and was in the process of making a decision on what I should write for my sci-fi unit in English (I ended up writing an argument against the advancements of technology). I put this off for a while, caught up in graduation ceremonies, awards shows, concerts, and finals, and then I wrote a few poems about missing my school. I came back to this thread one day, and I thought about the play that I had never written for my sci-fi unit, thought a while, and then went upstairs to my journal that night and put down the characters and points of the opening chapter. I planned to put them in official paragraph form the next morning. The next day, I got up early, wrote it, and that's how it came about. (Okay, to put it in simple words, I sat down at my desk and said, "Okay, I'm going to write a fantasy novel." The idea had never occurred to me except a character's name--she had no past or anything, I just liked the name.)

As I said earlier, though, I don't really think about it all that much. I care, but as I'm now experiencing writer's block, I'm content just to sit back and read some other great works, including the FWW or my summer reading Brave New World. The tide has been low these weeks. I've also been busy with summer school and my music, so I haven't had a lot of time to think about it. My day is just physically routine: get up, go to school, go home--practice, watch movies, whatever, and go to sleep. Summer school ends on Thursday, though, so perhaps I can spend some more time with you guys. Or I'll need to catch up on my music, which has been lagging behind and is more important to my family (they make me feel so guilty!)

That's about all I can say for now. I'm finally back!

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: dragongirlG ]

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: dragongirlG ]
Old 07-16-2002, 07:31 PM   #523
Lila Bramble
Haunting Spirit

Lila Bramble has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Lothiriel, thank you so much! I might still go with 'Locke' cause I love the name, but you helped!

Stephanos Welcome aboard to our part of the graveyard! Have another one on me!

|_|) <-------------------

Also, the question came how long do you work on writing. I'm young, dont gotta lot of time, so I take my time and try to write an hour a day. I get one chapter (there short) done in about two hours, and good 'ol Saxony edits (she's awesome!)

I like to get things done (I have many tales awaiting to be written...) but it never hurts to slow down and take it good and slow, espically when your young!

"I think a person should run only if he's being chased."
-Casey (Elijah Wood) from the Faculty (Just saw it for the fifth time!)

~Ja Ne and Peace to All~

Lila Bramble
Old 07-16-2002, 09:21 PM   #524
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Glad I did Lila! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2002, 06:15 PM   #525
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

ok i have some questions.
how do you feel about using tolkien created things in a novel. i know of some games that have halfings in them, but what about using the name "hobbit"?
hmmmmmm there as another example, but i can't remember it.
oh wait the other one is mythril (sp?) i have seen both it and true silver.

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: NazgulNumberTen ]
Old 07-21-2002, 08:31 AM   #526
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Quote:
how do you feel about using tolkien created things in a novel. i know of some games that have halfings in them, but what about using the name "hobbit"?
Personally I avoid it whenever possible, mainly becuase I want everything in my story to be my own, not anyone elses, and also I don't want to be accused of copying, when that is what I fight so hard against.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:34 AM   #527
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

i agree.
(oh and i signed up for faeriewordweavers, just waiting for an acceptance email [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )
Old 07-21-2002, 08:41 AM   #528
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Oh,oh! I have another question!

Have you found, since you started writing that you percieve things differenlty - for example, when gazing absently out of the window, do you see a motorway and a pile of dustbins (for example) or do you see them as potential for a great idea for one of your scenes? Do you see Crows or a new species of bird native only to the area where your story is set?

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:45 AM   #529
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

<font color=green>well, if i see a motorway and dustbins, i think of the destructive force of man. i think of the trees that used to be there, the clean, crisp air, replaced by smoke and ash. i think of the grass long dead and the fuana never to return. yes i do percive things differently, i see and write about a time when all those things were still there.

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: NazgulNumberTen ]
Old 07-21-2002, 08:51 AM   #530
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Wow, Nazgul, that is exactly what I meant, though I don't think I explained it very well! I can't wait to read your work, from what you just said it sounds great!

Old 07-21-2002, 08:52 AM   #531
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

i just hope it live up to your expectations
Old 07-21-2002, 03:10 PM   #532
dragongirlG
Wight

Sting

Hope to see you at the group, NN10. Unfortunately, one of our moderators (littlemanpoet) is out so you might have to wait a while.

Quote:
Have you found, since you started writing that you percieve things differenlty - for example, when gazing absently out of the window, do you see a motorway and a pile of dustbins (for example) or do you see them as potential for a great idea for one of your scenes? Do you see Crows or a new species of bird native only to the area where your story is set?
Well, I don't really think of the story or setting. I just see everything very poetically. I automatically start describing things very elegantly with literary devices and everything.
Old 07-21-2002, 03:22 PM   #533
Anna Licumo
Haunting Spirit

Anna Licumo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anna Licumo
Sting

Quote:
I have been blessed with rather bad vision. Glasses and all. I remember when I first got them. Wow! The world just opened up, and everything was bright and fresh! I could see everything! I try to remind myself of that everday, to *see*. My friend once said I had the eyes of a two year old. It was one of the biggest compliments I've ever had. She said I "would sit and watch a bug crawl on a leaf for hours, and talk about it endlessly, the same way I would talk about a famous piece of art or historical happening. You watch *everything*, Anna! Good grief, I'm suprised you don't walk into the trees you're staring at all the time. Honestly."

My mind wanders like nothing else, and I just feed it. I make up in imagination what I lack in height. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] It gets me in trouble in school, when I'm daydreaming my next scene instead of reading the same paragraph I already finished everyone else is on, but oh well! I like it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

::Realizes she is not making much sense and scuttles off to stand in the rain until her mother yells at her to put on a rain jacket. Again.::
Old 07-21-2002, 11:30 PM   #534
Lila Bramble
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

Ack, I've been gone away, I'm visiting Canada for a while. Its great up here, though I must say, my hotel has slow internet access and I can't write! Oh, the horror!

Sorry, but I didn't have much time to read through anything but being the young writer I am, have to answer a few questions and ask one (Eep, I know, I have a curious young mind!)

First of all, when the question came about, about how you perceive things, I must say, when I think of roads, even now and not in fantasy, I think of the wildlife and place they destroyed to create it and everything including life that had to leave. When I think of cars, I think of harm that its doing to our planet.

Also, I never wait for my Muse to strike, for it never happens until I get outta the shower, and I mostly use that to draw! But I'm creative anyway (I think...) and the Muse will probably have to wait to be used until later days...

And, my question (horror!) is:

Question: Can paladins (holy/white knights) also pratice their own magic, and or use white magic? I fear it may be a bit much to be an out-lawed paladin AND a white mage.

Well, anyways, time for a good 'ol quote by me...

Quote:
So I suck at life. Don't hate me for it!

~Ja Ne and Peace to All~

Lila Bramble
Old 07-25-2002, 08:09 PM   #535
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Hi writers

Just popping in while I have a computer handy while on vacation. I love Starbreeze's latest question, and really have little to offer to Lila Bramble's regarding Paladins. Regarding looking at the world, I have a very hard time not taking things at first impression. Like the first words out of my mouth at seeing the area around Mount Saint Helens was, "A little bit of Mordor!" My wife nodded, "yes." But clouds always inspire me. I love to look at them as mountains of their own. or islands. or whatever, and imagine riding them through the air like ships through the sea. Seeing old-growth forests puts me in mind of Mirkwood and Fangorn. There still are some old-growth forests in Michigan's upper peninsula and in the northwest. There's hope yet. Gotta run.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:26 AM   #536
Lila Bramble
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

Well, it seems that most people have abandoned their computers for this part of the summer, as all of the boards I contribute to have been failing to provide much talk.

Anyway, LMP, its okay, I doubt I'll seriosuly start to work on that story for a while. Its one of those stories you dont put on the internet cause you might wanna publish it. Heh, that's right, its actually a serious work!

~Ja Ne and Peace to All~

Lila Bramble
Old 07-29-2002, 11:45 AM   #537
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Saxony Tarn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saxony Tarn
Sting

welcome back, everyone...

okay -- welcome back to me, the show is over and i'm somewhat recovered (and certainly seeing things differently after being buried in a subterranean brightly-lit exhibit hall filled with gaudy booths and more new and improved high-tech products than you could pack in a sci-fi story)

w/ regards to paladins -- Lila, e-mail me about that, i may be able to dig up some things for you. The essential thing about them is that they derive their strength from some deity or worthy cause, most often (though not always) of the Good persuasion. Thus their "white magic" would be more divine in nature than arcane.

more later, after the caffeine fully kicks in ... (heading to bar to knock dust off it and fetch large cold drink)

|_|) <-- skoal!

s.t.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:48 PM   #538
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

I'm really glad I'm not alone with my perceptions of the world around me changing. I've seen things so much differently - in two ways - the way LMP suggested, but also I see everything as potential story material. I went on holiday over the weekend to a 'Joust Festival' - a Ren (Renaissance) Fair to you Americans - the first ever in Britain with ful contact jousting and demonstrantions of war horse training since they were banned several centaries ago. All around me I saw people in costumes from the time frame my story is set in - and everything was stary material - right down to the detail of palace life and The Joust. Too bad I didn't take a pen and pad of paper! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2002, 07:52 AM   #539
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

My friends, I'm stuck on a fight scene. Nar has encouraged me to really challenge my protagonist with a seemingly "against all odds" situation, and so I've thrown him and the fair maiden he thinks he's rescuing up against a gang of 12 bad men in a woods. They're separated, 7 after her and 5 after him, two of which he's lost and the other 3 of which surround him. She can take care of herself, which he doesn't know, but they all have the same knife he's stolen from one of them, 3 against 1. He's quick and agile and has good instincts, but the only think I can thing of is "There she is!" He points and doesn't even fool them but they look anyway and back again as fast as they can but he's still caught. Now what? He has to find her and the magic pool. Help!
Old 07-31-2002, 07:57 AM   #540
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

Yes, Starbreeze, all of life is grist for my writing mill. Problem is, surrounded by incredible sights in the state of Washington, I'm too mired down in personal garbage to be able to get out of writers' block. And here I thought I was immune. Hah! Nevertheless, I know that having seen the slag hummocks and otherworldly scenes that surround Mount Saint Helens will indeed benefit my writing at some point in the future. By the way, I am just way too envious that you got to go to that Ren fair and I had to stay away from the many around my home.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:03 AM   #541
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Littlemanpoet, I'm sorry if I'm rudely jumping into an established conversation-- three-minute rule and all that-- I just noticed your comment on writers' block. I had always heard that "the cure" was writing sheer stream-of-consciousness until the block disappeared. Anybody else want to comment on that? Any other cures?
Old 07-31-2002, 10:17 AM   #542
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Sting

LMP -- would it be possible to preview this fight scene & offer some advice? (probably you'd want to PM me and set that up, for example, send me a chunk of it by e-mail)

My tale's been stuck for most of this month, but i expect it'll get itself unstuck again soon...

s.t.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:28 AM   #543
Naaramare
Wight

Naaramare has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naaramare
Tolkien

Mark 12_30: Eh. I'd say no. Because at the moment, I'm not completely blocked, per se; if I had the interest, there are six or seven short story ideas I could churn out. The thing is, I'm blocked on my particular story.

A professional writer claims that WB does not exist. However, a professional writer has to live off their efforts (and I think this is responsible for a lot of hastily churned-out, flawed books, really . . .so many of my almost-favourite authors could have been that much better if they'd stopped and reviewed their stories themselves a few more times. . . I think, anyway).

"We don't have time to nurse neurosis" is the comment I've heard at one point from a writer (through the medium of her writer-character). Well, true enough if you're living off of it in a genre-fiction world. ^^ But! In myself I've noticed two things.

When I try to force myself to "get over" my block by stream-of-consciousness writing or other tricks that are about forcing the block away, my personal writing quality suffers. Badly. It becomes merely acceptable, as opposed to good. However, if I simply wait until I'm actually ready to write, the quality is better.

So there are a bunch of "cures"--stream of consciousness, simply FORCING yourself to write no matter what comes out, reworking the outline, working on something else--but because I have the luxury of being able to simply wait the block out, I do. Because in the end, it's better for my story.

[ July 31, 2002: Message edited by: Naaramare ]

si man i yulma nin equantuva? [my blog]
Old 07-31-2002, 10:42 AM   #544
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

The block has moved back a couple steps. It was being caused by my reluctance to letting my hero get captured. He is now gagged and bound and listening to four jerks and one leader type hash out what to do with him as the jerks give out too much information and the leader keeps cuffing the idiots who do. Free choice and ambition, I think, are going to be the keys to O's escape because the leader is angling for a promotion and the idiots are envious because THEY want it instead of him, so that they can FINALLY get back to their native heck-hole and have a real immortal body instead of the stupid "walking death-traps" the humans are stuck with. Yep, we're talking about possession.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:06 AM   #545
Naaramare
Wight

Sting

Heh. Congrats, lmp; I'm still stuck on mine. My block hinges on the fact that the situation is extremely uncomfortable both for the people involved and for me as a writer (it's actually the kind of situation I try to avoid, personally . . . )

Copy/pasting from my dj, were I talked about it last night:

"I really need to work on BrM. I think my problem is that the next scene is just s'damned awkward, not because of a writing flaw, but because it's an awkward situation. I mean, here's my heroine, she's faced with the guy who walked away from her five years ago, who's life she just saved, and she has no idea what to do about it.

Not only that, but Puck ain't gonna help. Despite the fact that he seems okay, he's in an incredible amount of pain; iron poisoning causes microspasms for two days afterwards (I've beeen peeeestering Mum for medical details . . . I creeped her out by asking how much burn damage would be necessary on someone's lungs to kill them, and how long it'd take. XD), he's got enough bruises and other stuff . . .plus he knows she's angry with him, he knows she resents him, he's perfectly empathic enough to see all that; however, he knows a bunch of stuff that she doesn't, such as why he left. He's also aware that if she tries, she could make him stay . . .which would seriously endanger her. Really, he didn't mean to collapse at her door anyway, his instincts just took over. So he's going to try to irritate her enough for her to basically send him away again.

But I don't like those kinds of awkward situations. =P I hate them. So I hate writing them. So I'm procrastinating on writing the next bit, and when I try, I'm all distracted and stuff. It's irritating."

Old 07-31-2002, 12:31 PM   #546
Lila Bramble
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

Ah, the dreaded Fight Scenes...

I'm not the greatest at them, but I will have to add them in on my paladin story, I'm guessing, they're always exciting, espically when you can use both weaponary AND magic...

LMP, I'm sorry, but I cant contribute much. I'm sure Saxony will help lots.

~Ja Ne and Peace to All~

Lila Bramble
Old 07-31-2002, 12:35 PM   #547
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Sting

But i''m sure you'll come up with something brilliant and exquisitely resonating, Naaramare, and i'm looking forward to reading them make each other squirm.

(still stalling while Bor' sweats out a little courtroom drama, with the mental VCR on Pause...)

s.t.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:00 PM   #548
dragongirlG
Wight

Sting

Ah, writer's block, what a mess. I hate it. Congrats to lmp for his recovery; I, like Naaramare, am still stuck. Partly because I'm stuck with all this stuff at home - my real life, as you might say - school starts in a week or so and I'm worrying about that, as well as having to go and do other stuff, and I have major auditions for various musical things soon, so I don't get much time to think. When I do, it's tormenting -- I can't decide what to do with the plot. I suppose I could use the "just sit down and write" technique, but that just intensifies the block. Help! I guess my main problem is that I have too many things on my mind, and I can't ever really concentrate on just writing. I need to. I'll try it, and hope it works.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:29 PM   #549
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

Hmm, I haven't posted here in a while...actually, writer's block is the cause of that. Or...at least a form of writer's block. Somewhat. Anyways. I'm distracted, horribly distracted by my beloved FFX that I'm afraid if I try to write something, it'll come out as a horrible ripoff of that plot, or certain elements of the game. Thus, I haven't let myself write/edit anything for Mists. Instead, I'm focusing on a fanfiction, trying to get all the Final Fantasy inspired ideas out of my head before it's too late.
Quote:
Have you found, since you started writing that you percieve things differently
Yes! Like Paul, I find cloud-gazing quite refreshing, inspirational and dreamlike. I've also taken one of my most beloved spectacles of mother nature, thunder storms, sat in them, let myself drown in that roaring music from the heavens, and imagine myself in Khazad-Dum listening to Dwarven Drums (thank the movie for that!), or in my world, during this scene later on where I use the rain symbolically and the Thunder dramatically (or so I hope). Taking a walk in the woods, I can almost imagine certain areas as being 'perfect' for Elves to live in. Also, later on in my story, Aven has a habit of gauging the 'climability' of certain trees. I don't know who got it from who, me from him, or him from me, either way, it all started when my 10-year old cousin climbed a tree while I was babysitting her and nearly gave me heart failure. Now, everything that happens is a potential scene... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2002, 01:37 AM   #550
Naaramare
Wight

Tolkien

Quote:
Have you found, since you started writing that you percieve things differently
I have a quote in one of my bios for a website. It goes "In the beginning, there was the Story. And the Story was with [Naaramare] and the Story was [Naaramare]." (of course, my real name is used).

There was a time when I wasn't a writer, but I've never not been a storyteller. I've never not looked at a tree and wondered if maybe a colony of tree-fae could be living inside, or whether that tree mightn't have been where a traveller made his last stand. The only thing that changed as I got older/more into writing was that instead of wondering what was (because as a child, I firmly believed in the fae in a way that made Santa Claus look pathetic and flimsy), I began to wonder what could-have-been, what-if. ^^

So I can't say I see things differently. I just put what I see to different use.

Old 08-01-2002, 03:18 AM   #551
Ruthwen
Animated Skeleton

Ruthwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hmmm... I'm probably FAR too late to join in this post, and I'm still busy reading it, but... never mind, eh?

Quote:
Are any of you writing serious fantasy?
I like to think so. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
If so, how have you dealt with the temptation to be imitative of Tolkien?
With great, humungous, amazing difficulty. Especially since in one of my worlds, I have a race of elves.

Quote:
How long have you been working on your story, and why?
I'm working on a lot of stories. In general, I work on them for about two years, but most of them have been stewing for a year or six months.

Quote:
What pitfalls have you faced and how have you overcome them — or not?
Well, at the start, the stories always move quite fast, at a good speed for readers. But as I get further in, and get to know my characters better, I slow right down, and it's more concerned with the characters than the plot. I'm still working on overcoming it.

Quote:
How do you guys feel about including a *hmhm* sexual *hmhm* relationship in your story.
Well, apart from rape, prostitution and incubi, it's never really happened. I'll probably more imply things than actually state them, but I won't go out of my way to avoid them.

Quote:
Next, how do you keep track of names etc. and phrases you like, that pop into your head?
I have a lot of blank paper floating around my bedroom, so I can generally scribble it down quickly enough. The only problem is locating it again afterwards.

Quote:
Next, what inspires you? Is it everyday things, or something you read, or dreams? Or a mixture?
Loads of things inspire me. Dreams, things I see, song lyrics, reading books by other people... this thread has me on a MAJOR inspiration high. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
How do you feel about other people reading your work? Would you be brave enough to share it with the world and publish it or would you be like me (and Maika apparently), who are too scared to even show people we have known for years?
I don't mind other people reading it. Getting published is my dream.

Quote:
Next, how long do you write for before you feel that it is finished and you can't do anymore without spoiling it?
Generally it's about two years from start to finish, not counting all the proof-reading and so on.

Quote:
Do you illustrate your work or leave it to the reader's imagination? And do you want to design your own front cover or have someone else do it?
I occasionally draw pictures depicting scenes in the stories, but I'm not a great artist, so if I ever do get published, I think I'll leave that to the experts.

Niphredil Baggins: Your story sounds amazing. If you ever need someone to read it, I'm here. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Same goes for all of you. What talent there is!
Old 08-01-2002, 10:56 AM   #552
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

I think I've finally discovered the cure to Writer's Block, thanks to Nar (where are you, Nar? did the great deep dark 'vacation' black hole steal you away forever?).

That's to write down every likely scenario and see how it spins out. A secondary way is to use a trusted sympathetic reader/listener and hash out the issue together.

You know, I think multiple scenario writing may not even take longer than avoidance, which is the usual means of dealing with WB. So it's nothing to get intimidated about, and you wind up having a pretty clear idea of what won't work and what will, and what works best.

Naaramare: I suggest that you write the most extreme version you can think of first. Let the wildest (within the limits of what works in your story) things possible happen between Puck and your protagonist that you can think of. Once you've done that, you at least have vented and you may have a pretty good sense of what WILL be best. Hope that helps. By the way, I'm glad you're writing because it's really fun peeking inside your head. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks anyway, Lila and ST. As it turns out, I DID discuss my latest difficulty with my wife over supper (I usually can NOT talk with her about my story - feel too threatened most of the time by her suggested changes which usually feel ALL wrong. Hmmm, do opposites attract, or what?). Anyway, I'm going to drop the thugs and gang members altogether because I suddenly realized that that ol' Society of the Sciences of Antiquity would be aware of my fairy woman like she was a lightning rod, whether she did any magic or not, because she IS magical. So they're not too far away and they interrupt their rite to check this curiosity out, and (it's the evil segment of the Society, of course) they accost her (there's 13 of them including my arch villainess) and the Felloth that possess them suggest to them to use this magical woman as the focus for their rite, which will do her much harm by turning her into one of them. And my protagonist has to rescue her from THAT. And that's before they even meet the REAL bad guy. I'm beginning to like the way this is going... hee hee hee

dragongirlG: So I would agree to the "sit down and write" school of busting WB, but have a method instead of sitting there banging your head against the table.

Thinhyandoiel: I hope at that first convention of FWW we have a MAJOR thunderstorm. Won't it be great?

Ruthwen: Welcome to AYWSF! Enjoy reading it and post often, and may your inspiration last long as Fairie lives on in the minds of us all. To help that along, have three cups of your fav virtual brew on me (nonalcoholic if you're under age and really care about all that).

|_|) |_|) |_|)

Care to tell us a little about your favorite story (that you're writing)?
Old 08-01-2002, 11:34 AM   #553
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Sting

hey LMP, Thinhyan', & others...

guess we've all had summer writers' block to some degree -- i'm happy to announce that i resumed work on "Trust Me" where it had been stalled -- i started Ch. 23 last night (as a way to put off some necessary housecleaning, but it demanded my attention, so i wrote...) Foreseeing some Oscar moments for The King Formerly Known as Aragorn in the next few pages. (And bring Minas Tirith a new shrubbery while you're at it!)

thanks again LMP for tending the bar while i've been preoccupied with taking that long break from my tale. Here's another thing to try -- accept writers' block and do something totally unrelated to give your brain a rest. (your head will thank you, and you'll get other stuff that had been postponed done)

Or in my case, do something quasi-related to the story but in a different creative vein. i once entered a character portrait in an art show, started to miss it during its absence from my wall, and re-created the character in soft-sculpture 3D. Now i have a picture and a 12" cuddly version of the character to squeeze, cuddle, and menace while throwing plot complications at him. Thought this might tone his rather abrasive nature down a bit when i resumed writing about him -- not. All it did was make him soft and cuddly (but still it was great fun when writing to be able to perceive the character from the "Puppet Master" perspective. Muahahaha...)

Recently did this again, to character in current project. Actually making two copies, 'cause i think i can sell one to a fellow fan, and i intend to replicate as much of costume as possible, right down to the chainmail. i expect hostile reactions from the Elves' and Hobbits' camps now that neither Legolas nor Frodo can lay claim to Cutest Member of the Fellowship any more...

s.t.
master of puppets, in some sense of the term. Perhaps i should send the 'Downs a picture of the finished product for "Fan Art"... Wire-cored fabric sculpture entitled, "Who, Me? Take the Ring? Nah, couldn't be me -- I'm too cute!"
Old 08-01-2002, 11:56 AM   #554
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

I haven't read all the up to date stuff yet so i might be repeating what has already been said, but when considering writer's block take a look outside. It might seem stupid but I have just signed up for this writer's newsletter which suggests that there is a link between the weather and a writer's performance. E.g. if it is humid or hot you are less likely to either feel like writing, or if you do write, not write at your best (unfortunatly it is the same for people doing exams).
I beleive thsi to be true as in the winter months I always write better than in the summer, despite there being so much more inpiration around in the warmer months.
This could very well be your problem, in which case it will go away as soon as Autumn begins to creep back onto us.

Old 08-01-2002, 11:58 AM   #555
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

huh, my writing is always bestin the winter too. i guess i better move to alaska then...
but i am equally insipered by all the seasons. spring gives a sence of rebirth and life begging anew. summer is the world in it's prime. fall is a darkness descending upon us, and winter shows the might of nature. cold winds and snow bearing down on us reminds me that however far we go, and how much we acopmlish, nature still sustains us, and can fight back with an irepressable wrath.

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: NazgulNumberTen ]
Old 08-01-2002, 12:04 PM   #556
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Yep, good idea NN10. I think I will go up north for my hols, not south to the sun!

Old 08-01-2002, 12:51 PM   #557
dragongirlG
Wight

Sting

Quote:
E.g. if it is humid or hot you are less likely to either feel like writing, or if you do write, not write at your best (unfortunatly it is the same for people doing exams).
I agree...it is always hot and humid down at the US southeast coast in the summer, so maybe that's why my writing is suffering.

Saxony Tarn:
Quote:
Or in my case, do something quasi-related to the story but in a different creative vein.
Thanks for the tip...maybe I really should get back to that music, huh, instead of staring at the blank screen and trying to write? I really needed the motivation, so thank you.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:05 PM   #558
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

I was just wondering, do you write your story up straight onto the computer, or do you do several drafts on paper and then type it up? Which ever way you do it, is there a particular reason why you do it that way and not the other?

Old 08-01-2002, 02:19 PM   #559
dragongirlG
Wight

Sting

I usually write straight onto the computer (I'm such a techno kid.) I write down the general idea into a journal, if the computer's not available. I plan the story with pen and paper, then I go type in all the details and literary devices, etc. It's just easier for me to do it on the computer; I feel more free there than if I sit down at a desk and use pen and paper. I feel like I'm conserving. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I know, I'm weird.

Plus, I type very, very fast, and generally type faster than I write. It's been an ability since I was a very young child. Then again, I do learn the piano seriously too. Maybe that helps.

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: dragongirlG ]
Old 08-01-2002, 02:20 PM   #560
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Sting

Starbreeze --

i used to write longhand dead-tree edition -- but it made editing a bear. Then one story i "composed" on a cheap light typewriter (which had people pegging me at 65 wpm, although not very accurate)
and did one edit, then buried it. Incorporated it later into a larger story, and by then i had a computer in my possession and have not written longhand tales ever since.

Notes, however, i still scribble -- or if i'm at work, i send myself e-mail to home and file it when i get there.

s.t.