The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree Journey to Discovery

Archetypes are filled throughout the Lord of the Rings movies (and Books, eventhough Tolkien denies using them, but that's for another discussion some day). Anyway, you can find all sorts of archetypes throughout the movies. The biggest one that I notice is a Journey to Discovery. Which is along the journey or quest, a person for some reason changes, and it's most likely that he changes for the better.

For some simple examples...When we first meet Boromir he strongly declares "Gondor has not King. Gondor needs no King." But on his deathbed in FOTR, he says "I would have followed you my brother, my captain, my king." So we see Boromir view Aragorn as perhaps an "enemy," and declare that Gondor doesn't need you, to Boromir accepting Aragorn as King.

Another could be Legolas and Gimli, who again first start at as pretty bitter rivals and turn out to be best friends.

So, my question for discussion here is you can find many, many journey to discovery archetypes throughout the movie, but most importantly what particularly instance causes a person to change? What was it that caused Boromir to go from "Gondor needs no King," to accepting Aragorn as King? When was it where Legolas and Gimli became best friends, what particular scene sticks out? Or was it just their long journey together that makes them naturally the best of friends? What other people change and what scene do you notice that may cause this change?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Regarding Boromir I would think that he expected to inherit the throne of Gondor and that's why he rejects Aragorn at first. Later he either realizes that he would be good for the people of Gondor or perhaps as he is on his deathbed he can no longer be the one on the throne he accepts that Aragorn should take his rightful place.
Farael is offline   Reply With Quote